Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Chat. (MOD NOTE post# 3949 and post#5279)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

I cannot stomach the state propaganda, sorry, irish media anymore, especially rte. The wages of the "stars" were in the paper today, absolutely obscene tubridy, nearly 500k ! Finucane 300k Joe fluffy man of de people, something similar.

And like newstalk they all spout ****e not worth watching or listening to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

spaceout.gif

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

For those that say fake news is a buzz word and doesn't exist look no further than NBC and their reporting that President Trump is the first in a long line of Presidents NOT to visit troops at Christmas.

In case NBC missed it:

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Map kindly provided by the EU itself.Intresting to see the comparison between NI and ROI .

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Thank you, Sir, for that VERY useful document. It's VERY interesting, especially the difference between East Anglia [where I live] and the Midlands with its huge cities.

• Advertisement

So Monaghan,Roscommon,Offaly and Wexford are where the "Irish gun nuts" live then??:D:D
    5to 10 guns per 100 people.Now how do we arm the other 90 /95 ??:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,210 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    So Monaghan,Roscommon,Offaly and Wexford are where the "Irish gun nuts" live then??:D:D
    5to 10 guns per 100 people.Now how do we arm the other 90 /95 ??:D

Cavan is in that category as well, I see! :D
    I would have thought Fermanagh would have been in the slightly higher ownership category.
    Of course, when you discount children, the percentage of guns per 100 adults is probably nearer 20 than 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭judestynes

Now how do we arm the other 90 /95 ??:D
    Arming them???? I'd settle for informing and educating them :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Mississippi.

Brazil's president elect said that he is going to allow all brazilians without criminal records to own firearms,
    Not sure what limitations there will be for them

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Brazil's president elect said that he is going to allow all brazilians without criminal records to own firearms,
    Not sure what limitations there will be for them

In other news Taurus stocks are up 100% :P:D

• Advertisement

Oh deer.
    Bernie Wright&Co[AFAR] are upset because of some deer culling in the Phoenix Park:rolleyes:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/campaigners-criticise-todays-culling-of-deer-in-phoenix-park-37696685.html

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

So rather than have the deer humanely shot, the protectors of all things natural and wild would prefer to poison nature with chemical birth control.
    Sure ya know what, lets just release a few wolves from the zoo in the Phoenix Park, that should restore some balance back into nature and be more humane to for the deer, to be hunted down, chased, stressed and worried by the pack of marauding wolves chasing them down.
    Hmmm shot dead by a bullet i didn't see coming or being ripped to pieces while still alive. Decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

solarwinds wrote: »
    So rather than have the deer humanely shot, the protectors of all things natural and wild would prefer to poison nature with chemical birth control.

Or they could give them johnnies. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 11,210 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

The problem with their contraceptive idea is that after a number of years of no births, you will get a herd collaspe the first hard winter as a herd comprised of aged animals will not survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Get yer fookin booger hook off the bang bang switch at least for the photo.....:rolleyes:
    https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/rural-life/farmer-receives-garda-warning-about-patrolling-roads-around-land-with-shotgun-37696934.html
    What do ye think of this, you cant say that on the radio granted if you have dog attacks its probably a good idea to bring a gun with you but Jesus Christ saying dumb ****e like you were confronting people with your shotgun on the radio is a great way to lose a gun and give a bad impression of firearms owners in general.

OR
    a very smart fuker, trading on his reputation, to keep the fluorescent backpack and woolly bobble hat brigade, and their dogs, far away from his lands, by creating a media show on the tail end of slow news season.

So all he has to do now is put up a sign saying "Beware of the Bull![Not the 4legged one!]:D And no one will go near his place.

Giving, of course, MSM's tendency to report all things firearms related 100% accurately, fairly,and with no bias or sensationalism whatsoever. I wonder just how much of that report got "lost in translation":rolleyes:

Worse, of course, is the loved "tit with a gun " picture, that all reporters try and get in a situation like this for the article.:(

An Aussie anti goes shooting for the first time. We need to do this a lot more.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W-eSxR5gIc&fbclid=IwAR0Z0QqducUykUuov4Cl7S6caYkZScWdrCxiJIxdMYrGBsXTGh9-xw4d7gc

Seen the new Gillette advert about "toxic masculinity". I knew what the term meant, but for sh*ts and giggles decided to google it (to see if Google have the same bias as other topics) and i got:
    Other scholars have used the term toxic masculinity to refer to stereotypically masculine gender roles that restrict the kinds of emotions allowable for boys and men to express
    Then i checked toxic femininity and got:
    Toxic femininity is a term used by Men's rights advocacy activists to construct a False equivalence between Toxic masculinity

So one is a legit explanation and condition while the second is simply false, and anyone who says differently is a bigot, sexist, and nazi. Apparently.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Cass wrote: »
    Seen the new Gillette advert about "toxic masculinity". I knew what the term meant, but for sh*ts and giggles decided to google it (to see if Google have the same bias as other topics) and i got:

Then i checked toxic femininity and got:

So one is a legit explanation and condition while the second is simply false, and anyone who says differently is a bigot, sexist, and nazi. Apparently.

Cass, you are a white male so your opinion doesn't count. FACT!!!!!!!

Balls, sorry. Thanks for correcting me. I forgot my privilege precludes me from having an opinion on anything.

However you need to be careful about presuming my colour, age, gender, etc. As this lady found out:

(skip to 35 seconds onward for the good bit)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I dunno Cass, growing up we didn't call it toxic masculinity, we called it being a prick and you weren't supposed to do it because, well, it was being a prick.

But today's kids wear lumberjack shirts and coiffed hairdos and talk about how a woman's place is in the home and make out like *thats* what we're supposed to do.

Dunno about you but I don't coiff my hair, I don't wear canadian cosplay outfits when chopping wood, and my mom would have given them a right hiding for the way they talk.

So toxic seems to fit.

And honestly? I'll take that ad over them putting a vibrator in a razor. I mean, lads, if I wanted to shave with a sex toy... well, I don't think I could tick the "mental health" box on my FCA1 for a start.

Sparks wrote: »
    I dunno Cass, growing up we didn't call it toxic masculinity, we called it being a prick and you weren't supposed to do it because, well, it was being a prick.
    Well then call it being a prick and not toxic masculinity.

Masculinity itself is not toxic but if you continue attaching wife beating, bigotry, sexism, and everything else that is bad to being masculine it is disingenuous, erroneous and harmful.

This is a consequence of upbringing. Kids today never hear the word no, are given credit just for participating, are being confused and mislead with all the talk about gender identity, etc, etc.

Some stats about kids without Fathers:
    • 63% of youth suicides are from fatherless homes
    • 90% of all homeless and runaway children are from fatherless homes
    • 85% of all children who show behavior disorders come from fatherless homes
    • 80% of rapists with anger problems come from fatherless homes
    • 71% of all high school dropouts come from fatherless homes
    • Fatherless children are twice as likely to drop out of school.
    • Children with Fathers who are involved are 40% less likely to repeat a grade in school.
    • Children with Fathers who are involved are 70% less likely to drop out of school.
    • Children with Fathers who are involved are more likely to get A’s in school.
    • Children with Fathers who are involved are more likely to enjoy school and engage in extracurricular activities.
    • 75% of all adolescent patients in chemical abuse centers come from fatherless homes.

I'm not saying there are traits that could do with being eliminated, but that is a case of teaching, showing, and educating. Labeling all masculinity as toxic is a farce, and an easy cop out.

I think their point of calling it "toxic masculinity" instead of "masculinity" is that if you think things like wifebeating are a part of "masculinity" then your idea of masculine is pretty toxic. And wasn't the point of the ad that those things are not what it means to be masculine?

I mean, I don't see where all the fuss is coming from. Ad says "these ****heads are not what it means to be masculine, being masculine is something better and is a positive thing". We used to just say "these ****heads are ****heads, don't be a ****head". Same difference really.

I think their point of calling it "toxic masculinity" instead of "masculinity" is that if you think things like wifebeating are a part of "masculinity" then your idea of masculine is pretty toxic. And wasn't the point of the ad that those things are not what it means to be masculine?

I mean, I don't see where all the fuss is coming from. Ad says "these ****heads are not what it means to be masculine, being masculine is something better and is a positive thing". We used to just say "these ****heads are ****heads, don't be a ****head". Same difference really.

I don't know if its my computer or the site, but it's taken ages to get a reply written/posted and then i'm getting duplicate post notices when i don't post it twice.

Anywho.

Kids play fighting has happened since the dawn of time. However they lump that into a man either going to or just after grabbing a woman's ass. the two are not connected. I mean one is playing and the other is sexual assault.

The ad doesn't affect me, or even bother to the point i think about it, i just find it slightly annoying that a company that caters almost exclusively to men (or at least men are the majority of its market share) would go the same route as Man size tissues, and Yorkies.

My original point was also not so much about the advert, i was simply citing it as another example of trotting out it's men's fault, but that masculinity is a fault, but feminism cannot be called toxic. It's akin to some i've heard saying blacks cannot be racist, or whites are inherently racist simply because we're white.

It's a broad sweeping and incorrect assumption, as per the video i linked above, based on no evidence and is another example of identity politics.

Anyway, it's not that important, just shooting the breeze.

On to funnier stuff.

Anyone see this new "craze" of the bird box challenge? In case you're not aware there is a "film" (i use the term loosely) on Netflix called Bird Box. Without giving too much away
    there is an unknown force that if seen will kill you
    . In one scene the people have to travel to a shop but
    without being able to see (as they're blindfolded) so they use the sat nav to navigate their way.

The new craze is now for people to wear a blindfold and drive.

Seriously, you couldn't make this sh*t up.

Next craze will probably be Russian Roulette with a semi auto. :rolleyes:

It's true what they say, you don't have to kill stupid people, just remove the warning label and let nature takes it's course.

The bird box...What a POS film made from a pretty good novel. But then again in an age where teenagers last year were eating soap detergent laundry pods, or burning themselves on cooker hot plates, or inhaling condoms up their noses [Pity their parents never used one for its intended function:rolleyes:]as a challenge...
    Maybe this year it will be the "feel the burn!" challenge? Or the "the industrial wood chipper" challenge? Or the most difficult one the, "Get some ****in basic cop on will ya, you fool??" challenge.

Seriously Back in 1950 the Twilight zone had a story about a guy who was put in suspended animation in the 1950s and woke up in the 2050s to find he is the smartest guy on the planet!He finds himself in a world inhabited by sub IQ beings. Think they were out by fifty years. It is happening sooner than we think. Stupidity is contagious.

@MODS..Yes there is something going on with the site.I had to delete a double post, and excuse the "Mac Guiverd" post as it won't allow editing of a previously posted post for some reason.

Was having a look at that Gillette ad again last night.Odd that all the "bad man examples" in it are all WHITE guys.:rolleyes:

Proctor&Gamble who own Gilette, are the last company to be trying "virtue signalling".Still, they have now got free global advertising of their brand name with this one ad, that would have cost millions doing it via an NYC 5th Ave advertising agency. Should keep the shareholders happy this year.;) Cos in the end that's all its about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭deezell

Was having a look at that Gillette ad again last night.Odd that all the "bad man examples" in it are all WHITE guys.:rolleyes:

Proctor&Gamble who own Gilette, are the last company to be trying "virtue signalling".Still, they have now got free global advertising of their brand name with this one ad, that would have cost millions doing it via an NYC 5th Ave advertising agency. Should keep the shareholders happy this year.;) Cos in the end that's all its about.

They couldn't give a monkey's about meetoo or any of that, just jumping on rhe bandwagon to sell razor blades.

Advertisement