Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 8th amendment(Mod warning in op)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

New poll shows 76% support for same-sex marriage
    The details were in the first opinion poll of 2015.
    Jan 14th 2015, 9:45 PM

http://www.thejournal.ie/opinion-poll-2015-same-sex-marriage-1882262-Jan2015/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

drkpower wrote: »
    CFJE4PqWYAAQiC7.png:large

Are those not the figures from May 2015?
    If so you are not really comparing like for like. Surely you should be comparing figures from earlier like Jan?

By May, in the last few day before the Ref, the Marriage Equality Campaign was playing a blinder while their opponents had continually shot themselves in the foot with insinuations about what would happen adopted children etc.

Apologies. I don't remember it as being that close.

I must say, having been involved in that particular campaign from the start that they are two different beasties. While Mar Eq did bring out some of the nasty, that was effectively turned into a positive for the campaign because so many 'ordinary' people came out and that turned the mood. The anti side began to be seen as (can't call them) homophobic bullies.

Now - if we hear from the hundred of thousands of women who have been forced to travel for the last 30 years and their stories we might begin to see similarities.

I would also say that the Mar Eq people, myself included, haven't even begun to campaign for Repeal yet - but we will be and we have learned some valuable lessons. The question is - has Iona?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

great to see the RCC coming in with reasoned, rational debate once again...

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0127/936344-catholic-bishop-warns-about-arguments-for-abortion/

"This is the final frontier," the bishop declares. "If we cross it, there will be no easy way back."

I always thought that space was the final frontier. Well that's what Jean Luc said. And I'd listen to him before a bishop.

A Catholic bishop has warned that the same arguments which are now being used to justify abortion will be used to justify ending the lives of frail older people and individuals with significant disability.
    this is complete fear mongering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I hope there's a bishop in the paper warning us about abortion every day until the referendum.

All they are doing is linking the 8th to the Catholic Hierarchy ever more firmly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'm not a fan of the 8th (far bloody from it!) but lets not overstate it.

Before 1983, and after 1983, before the X case, and after the X case, abortions were being carried out in Ireland perfectly legally for many medical indications (for ectopics being the classical example).

What the 8th (and the X case's interpretation) did was to legalise suicidality as a ground for abortion. Which is, eh, ironic to say the least! But irony aside, even now, and even post POLPA, i'm not even sure if an abortion has actually occurred under the suicidality ground (though may be wrong on that).

So it might be a little misleading to suggest that the 8th did the complete opposite of what was intended.

There has been 77 (reports from 2014, 2015, 2016) since the Act came into law.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

seamus wrote: »
    "Official" means recorded, standard medical practice.

I went looking (albeit not for hours) and could find no indication that abortion was standard medical practice in Ireland unless the embryo or foetus had no detectable heartbeat.

And if abortion was standard medical practice when there was a risk to the life of the mother, what happened to Savita? Why was Malak Thawley refused chemical intervention and told surgical was the only option?

Happy to be corrected though.

Where there is a risk to the life of the Mother the hospital must wait until the risk is greater than 50% until they can act.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Where there is a risk to the life of the Mother the hospital must wait until the risk is greater than 50% until they can act.

And combine that with something fast acting like sepsis..:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Is this what happens in practice though? Surely we'd have a much higher maternal mortality rate if it was?

Is this what happens in practice though? Surely we'd have a much higher maternal mortality rate if it was?

Similar to the difference between HSE 'on trolley figure' and the figure provided daily by the Nurses there is a discrepancy between the 'official' and the 'actual'
    The number of maternal deaths in Ireland has risen sharply, and the pregnancy-related death rate is now higher than in the UK, according to a new report.

There was a 22 per cent rise in the number of maternal deaths in 2010-2012, according to the second report of the Confidential Maternal Death Enquiry, based in UCC. The period coincided with a number of controversial deaths of pregnant women, most notably Savita Halappanavar in 2012.

The rate of maternal death picked up by the report from hospitals and other sources is four times higher than official figures gathered by the Central Statistics Office from death certificates. The report, which says this issue is not unique to Ireland, recommends that a question on pregnancy status at time of death be added to the coroner’s death certificate.

There were 38 maternal deaths between 2009 and 2012. Ten were classified as direct maternal deaths, ie due to obstetric causes. Twenty-one were indirect maternal deaths due to pre-existing conditions exacerbated by pregnancy. The rest were attributed to “coincidental causes”; these are not included when calculating the maternal mortality rate.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/new-report-reveals-sharp-rise-in-number-of-maternal-deaths-1.2111831

Firstly - do you really expect that there is a section on death reports that covers 'treatment delayed until risk of life to mother was over 50%' ?
    Secondly - Even one death is unacceptable when it could have been prevented by a termination of the pregnancy before things reached crises level.

Added to that do we know how many suicides have occurred due to unwanted pregnancy? Pro-Life Psychiatrist Patricia Casey claims there have been none but as it is not recorded on a Death Certificate if a suicide victim was pregnant unless each post-mortem result was researched and the figure complied from that there is no way of knowing...

We do know that those presented as suicidal are not always treated with sympathy and the system in place is not working - in addition to being a horrific ordeal to put a person in crises through in the first place.
    A girl deemed to be at risk of suicide who wanted an abortion was sectioned under the Mental Health Act because her treating psychiatrist said terminating the pregnancy “was not the solution”.

The case is one of 22 reported by the Child Care Law Report Project, published this morning.

In the case, which was before the courts last year, an order was made to detain the girl on the evidence of a psychiatrist who said that while the child was at risk of self-harm and suicide as a result of the pregnancy, “this could be managed by treatment and that termination of pregnancy was not the solution for all the child’s problems at this stage”.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/girl-sectioned-after-psychiatrist-ruled-out-abortion-1.3116111
    Concerns have emerged at senior HSE levels about the failure to always secure a psychiatrist to give a second opinion in cases where a pregnant woman is seeking an abortion on the grounds she is suicidal.

An internal document said in some cases it has meant the two psychiatrists and obstetrician, who are required under law to make an assessment in such cases, cannot be found.

Abortion is allowed in cases of suicide risk under the Protection of Life During Pregnancy Act of 2013, which came into effect in 2014.

The abortion can only be allowed if the doctors agree she is suicidal. If she is turned down, the woman then can apply for a review before another panel.

However, in an internal report authorised by Dr Philip Crowley, HSE national director for quality improvement, the lack of availability of a "second opinion" psychiatrist at the initial assessment means that in some cases the woman's application is going straight to review.

Some consultants "are referring to the review process before exhausting all opportunities to get the required second opinion locally", the document obtained by the 'Medical Independent' revealed.

Objections
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/suicidal-women-struggle-to-get-second-opinion-when-seeking-an-abortion-36532604.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Similar to the difference between HSE 'on trolley figure' and the figure provided daily by the Nurses there is a discrepancy between the 'official' and the 'actual'

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/new-report-reveals-sharp-rise-in-number-of-maternal-deaths-1.2111831

Firstly - do you really expect that there is a section on death reports that covers 'treatment delayed until risk of life to mother was over 50%' ?
    Secondly - Even one death is unacceptable when it could have been prevented by a termination of the pregnancy before things reached crises level.

Added to that do we know how many suicides have occurred due to unwanted pregnancy? Pro-Life Psychiatrist Patricia Casey claims there have been none but as it is not recorded on a Death Certificate if a suicide victim was pregnant unless each post-mortem result was researched and the figure complied from that there is no way of knowing...

We do know that those presented as suicidal are not always treated with sympathy and the system in place is not working - in addition to being a horrific ordeal to put a person in crises through in the first place.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/girl-sectioned-after-psychiatrist-ruled-out-abortion-1.3116111

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/suicidal-women-struggle-to-get-second-opinion-when-seeking-an-abortion-36532604.html

Access to relevantly qualified personnel in assessing how suicidal or not a candidate for abortion was was highlighted as a major risk in particular for women who were dealt with the health system outside Dublin. It doesn't surprise me that there is some suggestion that there are now issues with that.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

How stupid is this? It's the likes of this wan (Steph F) who will swing the undecided towards voting in favour of the 8th.

https://twitter.com/Stephanenny/status/956885048044769280

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

Hmmm, posting random tweets that are pretty reasonable overall but outraged you, so you must tell the world. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Just to be clear, any sign of sepsis and medical will and should act, with medical intervention. Anything less is very poor practice, irrespective of the 8th.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

pitifulgod wrote: »
    Hmmm, posting random tweets that are pretty reasonable overall but outraged you, so you must tell the world. :P

You find the tone of that tweet reasonable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

How stupid is this? It's the likes of this wan (Steph F) who will swing the undecided towards voting in favour of the 8th.

Should have posted a few more of the answers:
    https://twitter.com/samrboland/status/956894224879947781

Water John wrote: »
    Just to be clear, any sign of sepsis and medical will and should act, with medical intervention. Anything less is very poor practice, irrespective of the 8th.

In the gap between should be and will be lies death.

From the H.S.E Report into the death of Savita Halappanavar:
    Our investigation established that hospital guidance assumes four-hour monitoring of patient observations for patients with premature rupture of membranes. However, in this case monitoring of the patient who had prolonged rupture of membranes was less frequent (See Appendix F). There was inadequate assessment and monitoring that would have enabled
    the clinical team to recognise and respond to the signs that the patient’s condition was deteriorating due to infection, together with non adherence to guidelines for the prompt and effective management of sepsis, severe sepsis and septic shock when it was suspected or diagnosed. The modified Obstetric Early Warning Score (mOEWS) observation chart was not in use in some hospitals at the time of this incident for pregnant women on gynaecology
    wards.

We considered that the patient’s condition involved prolonged rupture of membranes, which is associated with increasing risk of infection with the progress of time. In this case, the patient’s condition was rare and serious. There was a lack of recognition of the gravity of the situation and of the increasing risk to the mother which led to passive approaches and delays
    in aggressive treatment.
    This appears to have been either due to the way the law was interpreted in dealing with the case or the lack of appreciation of the increasing risk to the mother and the earlier need for delivery of the fetus.

When the patient and her husband enquired about the possibility of having a termination, this was not offered or considered possible by the clinical team until the afternoon of the 24th of October due to their assessment of the legal context in which their clinical professional judgement was to be exercised.
    http://cdn.thejournal.ie/media/2013/06/savita-halappanavar-hse-report.pdf

Apologies. I don't remember it as being that close.

I must say, having been involved in that particular campaign from the start that they are two different beasties. While Mar Eq did bring out some of the nasty, that was effectively turned into a positive for the campaign because so many 'ordinary' people came out and that turned the mood. The anti side began to be seen as (can't call them) homophobic bullies.

Now - if we hear from the hundred of thousands of women who have been forced to travel for the last 30 years and their stories we might begin to see similarities.

I would also say that the Mar Eq people, myself included, haven't even begun to campaign for Repeal yet - but we will be and we have learned some valuable lessons. The question is - has Iona?

Just wait until Iona gets its Anerican buddies to pour millions into social media advertising.

Terry Pratchet

Yes because the life of the unborn is equal to that of the mother!!!!

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

You cant say "irrespective of the 8th" The 8th means the woman cannot have medical intervention until her need is greater than the unborn. It puts lives in danger.

Terry Pratchet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Am the only person who finds it weird when Irish call out other Irish people for being white?

darkdubh wrote: »
    Am the only person who finds it weird when Irish call out other Irish people for being white?

No. Simon Zebo and Paul McGrath find it weird too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Just wait until Iona gets its Anerican buddies to pour millions into social media advertising.

I'm sure that'd be plenty for a small platoon of faux-fence-sitting tone police.

My info from medical people, that have had to deal with such situations, is that once their is any sign of sepsis, they act and urgently.
    Close ongoing monitoring of the situation is key. Sepsis places the mothers life in serious danger and would be acted upon, always.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    "This is the final frontier," the bishop declares. "If we cross it, there will be no easy way back."

A divorce will mean familys will no longer exist
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

My info from medical people, that have had to deal with such situations, is that once their is any sign of sepsis, they act and urgently.
    Close ongoing monitoring of the situation is key. Sepsis places the mothers life in serious danger and would be acted upon, always.

As the H.S.E's own report showed - this did not happen.

It's all very well having policies and procedures but unless they are actually acted upon they are useless.

Added to that -the new protocols were only introduced 5 years ago resulting in a 30% drop in mortality rates since Savita Halappanavar's but still 1 in 5 die.
    Nearly one-in-five patients who develops sepsis dies of the condition, it emerged today.

This is despite a 30 per cent drop in hospital deaths from sepsis in the last five years...
    ... The report outlines that there were over 14,000 cases of sepsis nationally documented last year. [2016]
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/oneinfive-people-who-develop-sepsis-will-die-of-condition-36103136.html

1 in 5 of 14,000 is 2,800 deaths from sepsis in 2016.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

That's shocking!

How many of those 14,000 cases were pregnancy related?

mrmac wrote: »
    That's shocking!

Trying to find out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭volchitsa

That's shocking!

Probably not many, as there are many other causes, including simple cuts and scratches, but more usually it's people with chronic illnesses or who have had surgery.

However it's a fact that sepsis is a particular danger in pregnancy because it concerns young otherwise healthy women, and it's the pregnancy itself which means that the sepsis is likely to progress much faster than it normally would. 

Treating sepsis in pregnancy like an infected finger, where a wait and see approach is probably not too risky, is sheer recklessness.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭volchitsa

That's shocking!

Probably not many, as there are many other causes, including simple cuts and scratches, but more usually it's people with chronic illnesses or who have had surgery.

However it's a fact that sepsis is a particular danger in pregnancy because it concerns young otherwise healthy women, and it's the pregnancy itself which means that the sepsis is likely to progress much faster than it normally would. 

Treating sepsis in pregnancy like an infected finger, where a wait and see approach is probably not too risky, is sheer recklessness.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Is it me or are all pro-life folks very easy to spot? They all seem to have certain similar traits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,858 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Is it me or are all pro-life folks very easy to spot? They all seem to have certain similar traits.

I find the middle of the road hard people to spot but the people who are big into the repeal campaign and the remain campaign are generally easy to spot. However I do know a few people who were big into the marriage referendum and wouldn't be mass goers and would be young men/women and they want to keep the eighth amendment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Sinn Fein TD Donnchadh O’Laoighre has come out in support of removing the 8th, just watched an excellent speech he made on the subject on Facebook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Sinn Fein TD Donnchadh O’Laoighre has come out in support of removing the 8th, just watched an excellent speech he made on the subject on Facebook.

What'd he say about the choice argument?
    Not being smart now, genuine question, I'd like the eighth repealed too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

I find the middle of the road hard people to spot but the people who are big into the repeal campaign and the remain campaign are generally easy to spot. However I do know a few people who were big into the marriage referendum and wouldn't be mass goers and would be young men/women and they want to keep the eighth amendment.

^^obvious youth defence sleeper account post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,858 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

david75 wrote: »
    ^^obvious youth defence sleeper account post.

The basic point of my post is you can't guarantee that somebody is pro-life or Pro choice just based on how they voted in the marriage referendum and if you want this repealed you got to vote.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

The basic point of my post is you can't guarantee that somebody is pro-life or Pro choice just based on how they voted in the marriage referendum and if you want this repealed you got to vote.

I was joking but the body of the text is a tactic currently being employed by pro life in a lot of places to try work into people’s heads that it’s ok to vote against it.
    It’s a new tactic at least but it’s transparent and not as obvious yet weirdly insidious.

Yes but they cant act until the mothers life is more than 50% in danger!!!!

Terry Pratchet

Where are you digging this 50% up from? Any sepsis is potentially lethal. Woman's life is at risk. You have to intervene, medically.
    Interpreting it any other way is just, poor medical practice.

david75 wrote: »
    I was joking but the body of the text is a tactic currently being employed by pro life in a lot of places to try work into people’s heads that it’s ok to vote against it.
    It’s a new tactic at least but it’s transparent and not as obvious yet weirdly insidious.

Yep. And I have seen all these fake LGBT4LIFE social media accounts. Its bizarre because they are sharing stuff from Iona and pals!

I agree on this. And there is a lot of "oh well it was obvious the marriage referendum would pass but repeal campaigners will be shocked"

The other tactic I have seen is distancing from the Catholic Church coming from rabid Catholics.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Where are you digging this 50% up from? Any sepsis is potentially lethal. Woman's life is at risk. You have to intervene, medically.
    Interpreting it any other way is just, poor medical practice.

The foetus has an equal right to life of the pregnant woman therefore medics have to wait until the womans life is more in danger.

Terry Pratchet

You are incorrect, woman's live has priority and once there is risk to her life, medics must act.
    You don't seem to understand sepsis, which is a virulent, possibly fatal, infection.
    It's very presence puts the woman's life at risk and must be acted on, without delay.
    Nobody is waiting for a % risk to be analysed. Doctor, should and would be before the Medical Council for gross negligence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,005 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

There is oodles of money behind American pro life entities.

They are staying quiet for now, but wait for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Yes but they cant act until the mothers life is more than 50% in danger!!!!

So doctors have to wait until a woman is 50% septic?

Septicaemia progresses very rapidly and must be treated immediately. Along with other conditions such as HELLP, haemorrhage, high blood pressure etc.

I don't know why you're saying things that you can't back up medically.

Pills are available for women to terminate at home without any medical supervision within the twelve week window.

That won't change, so the game is up.

Has anyone heard of an arrest or confiscation of these drugs yet?

You are incorrect, woman's live has priority and once there is risk to her life, medics must act.
    You don't seem to understand sepsis, which is a virulent, possibly fatal, infection.
    It's very presence puts the woman's life at risk and must be acted on, without delay.
    Nobody is waiting for a % risk to be analysed. Doctor, should and would be before the Medical Council for gross negligence.

I would not trust them to act in favour of a woman right now, she is just a womb in many eyes going on the current laws. Well we know what happened when they didn't.

We don't know how many mother's lives have been lost due to sepsis and inability to act to save her apart from Ms Savita do we?

The laws are opaque, and medics must be terrified of breaking such current laws.

Most of these misadventures occur when staff are afraid to call in senior doctors, when in doubt. Not because of constitution or legislation.
    Largely have nothing to do with the current debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Most of these misadventures occur when staff are afraid to call in senior doctors, when in doubt. Not because of constitution or legislation.

Baloney. Savita requested an abortion and was turned down. She would be alive today (and might have more children!) if not for the 8th.

They do though, when the reason the staff are afraid is because of the 8th!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Water John wrote:
    Most of these misadventures occur when staff are afraid to call in senior doctors, when in doubt. Not because of constitution or legislation. Largely have nothing to do with the current debate.

I wouldn't like to think doctors would make life threatening decisions because they were "afraid" to ask for help.

It'd be more likely that there was no consultant available at the time of an emergency.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement