Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 8th amendment(Mod warning in op)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,538 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Doltanian wrote: »
    I never thought I'd see the day that I am supporting Fianna Fail again, well done FG you have hit a fresh low, the lowest you could possible go in the murder and genocide of defenceless babies to satisfy the EU paymasters and George Soros.

LOL. you realise that Michael Martin has come out in support of repeal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

ForestFire wrote: »
    Okay its the same difference, it being replaced with what exactly I said in my first post.

The government will decide now, and at any point in the future what the rules are.

Are you happy this will not affect the result? Sway the way some people might vote?

It is the job of government to decide.

They are the ones changed with creating legislation by the Constitution. If the people are not happy with a piece of legislation they can make that known and there are various avenues open to having that legislation withdrawn/changed, or repealed *coff coff water charges*.

Having the 8th in the Constitution prevents government doing it's job and that is exactly what it was designed to do - there was absolutely no legislation on the horizon in the early 80s to legalise abortion. No even a scintilla of a mention of legalising abortion.

If people feel they can't trust the government then that says a lot about electoral choices not the Constitution.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

LOL. you realise that Michael Martin has come out in support of repeal?

And has no support from his party, Fianna Fail need to pull the plug on this charade excuse of a Government immediately to prevent a referendum taking place.

I never thought I'd see the day that I am supporting Fianna Fail again, well done FG you have hit a fresh low, the lowest you could possible go in the murder and genocide of defenceless babies to satisfy the EU paymasters and George Soros.

All those women marching in support of Repeal are EU Paymasters?!?!?! :eek:

Wait a second... that makes me an EU Paymaster....

#mindblown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,538 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

And has no support from his party, Fianna Fail need to pull the plug on this charade excuse of a Government immediately to prevent a referendum taking place.

Really? you base that on what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭swampgas

ForestFire wrote: »
    Was it not a democratically elected government and the peoples vote that put it in? And nothing stopped any governments from having a vote anytime to change/remove anytime they wanted, they want just like now.

Again as per further post I'm not asking about the rights or wrongs but how you think this might affect the result?

I don't know if you were around in the 80's when the 8th Amendment was introduced. It was a very different Ireland to the one we see today. There was a genuine panic among some that a Roe vs. Wade judgement could introduce abortion to Ireland. There was a propaganda campaign that you had to have been there to believe. The people were subject to a barrage of the most hateful, wrong, and deceitful propoganda, in a country still in thrall to bishops and priests. It was a grim time, to be honest.

There was no intention to respect the will of the people. The idea was to terrify and brainwash and intimidate a constitional bar on abortion, to slow down the inevitable, as the Irish people became more educated, modern and liberal.

I know! Imagine putting something to the electorate to decide.
    The utter b*rstards!

Bring down the Government before allowing the people to decide what's i the Constitution! as a campaign slogan it needs work tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

swampgas wrote: »
    I don't know if you were around in the 80's when the 8th Amendment was introduced. It was a very different Ireland to the one we see today. There was a genuine panic among some that a Roe vs. Wade judgement could introduce abortion to Ireland. There was a propaganda campaign that you had to have been there to believe. The people were subject to a barrage of the most hateful, wrong, and deceitful propoganda, in a country still in thrall to bishops and priests. It was a grim time, to be honest.

There was no intention to respect the will of the people. The idea was to terrify and brainwash and intimidate a constitional bar on abortion, to slow down the inevitable, as the Irish people became more educated, modern and liberal.

Same BS tactics still work. Fear lies intimidation etc.
    Lisbon II

Bannasidhe wrote: »

#mindblown.

What about the babies themselves, they are too young and unable to march themselves, as a Conservative, Anti-EU, Anti-Feminst, Pro-Trump, Anti-Marxist I will vote against Abortion. Yes to killing babies but no to killing pedophiles and murderers. Leftwing politics is the biggest cancer on society and we badly need another Thatcher or Pinochet in this country to crush the left finally.

• Advertisement

What about the babies themselves, they are too young and unable to march themselves, as a Conservative, Anti-EU, Anti-Feminst, Pro-Trump, Anti-Marxist I will vote against Abortion. Yes to killing babies but no to killing pedophiles and murderers. Leftwing politics is the biggest cancer on society and we badly need another Thatcher or Pinochet in this country to crush the left finally.

Ah. You are one of those.

It's like there is a rip in the fabric of time and the 1930s are leaking through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭swampgas

Pinochet? Really?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augusto_Pinochet#Human_rights_violations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭uptherebels

you left out anti democratic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Why are you worried about a referendum taking place?

Go out there, campaign, do your best to convince others of your perspective. Then let the people vote. It's going to be close, no doubt about it, but at least we will find out the will of the people, one way or the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

At least you're pro democracy and will respect the result I hope.

I don't get why people want children born to people who are capable at the time to offer the love and support it needs.

Or to neglect the needs of the pregnant lady both mentally and physically.

I strongly believe that abortion is a highly personal choice of the woman who will be going through a highly difficult and personal crisis of which you or I have no real right to say that she should be denied the right to terminate an unwanted pregnancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭baylah17

#mindblown.

What about the babies themselves

They are not babies just feotuses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

drkpower wrote: »
    Sorry to distract you. It's an interesting aside of some passing relevance. You don't have to engage with it.

It's of fairly limited relevance when the scenario you describe is not possible under the proposed changes, as well as being incredibly unlikely even if was possible.

It's important to make it clear when a hypothetical is being discussed, otherwise it can easily muddy the waters, especially with the prevailing "voting for uncertainty" and "slippery slope" narratives.

You really should look up the meaning of the word genocide.

Have you not noticed that there are still plenty of people existing in countries that permit abortion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Kurtosis wrote: »
    It's of fairly limited relevance when the scenario you describe is not possible under the proposed changes, as well as being incredibly unlikely even if was possible.

It's important to make it clear when a hypothetical is being discussed, otherwise it can easily muddy the waters, especially with the prevailing "voting for uncertainty" and "slippery slope" narratives.

I agree; that's why I used the word hypothetical a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Jim Ellis

Claire Byrne on RTE1 going live to government buildings shortly

dudara wrote: »
    Why are you worried about a referendum taking place?

Go out there, campaign, do your best to convince others of your perspective. Then let the people vote. It's going to be close, no doubt about it, but at least we will find out the will of the people, one way or the other.

There should be referendum on killing innocent babies. Full Stop. Irish people are not capable of being trusted at the ballot box, they twice changed their minds on the EU and this campaign will be steamrolled by the left and SJW's. I stand with the Right and the Holy Roman Catholic Church. I am a young person and I always speak my mind and never hide what I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

not sure how i will vote but have to say Varadker must now rank as the most progressive leader in our history.

he is a breath of fresh air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

If its all out open abortion then i think i will vote no.

The wording will be key. If its for severe disabilities and rape victims then i would consider voting yes.

Even we return a no vote the fact remains women will still get abortions abroad, I can understand people objecting to abortion but unless you are actively lobbying the UK government to block Irish women accessing abortions then it's a case of not on my doorstep and inflicting unnecessary hardships and suffering for them here by denying them access to abortion and forcing them go abroad.

murpho999 wrote: »
    You really should look up the meaning of the word genocide.

Have you not noticed that there are still plenty of people existing in countries that permit abortion?

Lookup White Genocide, the population replacement agenda driven by the leftwing marxist organisations around the world to make European White people a minority and to end Anglo-American-European Hegemony in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'm listening to Ronan Mullen from earlier today on Sean O' rourke and surely the pro life side of the argument have a better spokesperson than him. I mean it's not his points it's the snarky tone he uses. It doesn't help in any way.

Edit: Also the fact he worked for the Catholic Church will not help people who for whatever reason aren't fans of the Catholic Church when he talks about respect for children and women. The Catholic Church hasn't had a stellar history in this regard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

ricero wrote: »

The wording will be key. If its for severe disabilities and rape victims then i would consider voting yes.

You cannot allow abortion in the case of rape without allowing it for all.

There should be referendum on killing innocent babies. Full Stop. Irish people are not capable of being trusted at the ballot box, they twice changed their minds on the EU and this campaign will be steamrolled by the left and SJW's. I stand with the Right and the Holy Roman Catholic Church. I am a young person and I always speak my mind and never hide what I believe.

You mean a referendum on whether or not the 8th Amendment is kept or repealed?
    Who do you suppose should vote in this referendum of young person who speaks your mind?

It will be to repeal the 8th.

Simple as that.

Legislation will then decide the terms afterwards.

I don't get why a rape victim's child is ok to be aborted but not that of an unwanted crisis pregnancy. I don't see the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

How anyone could stand behind the RCC after the atrocities they committed on the citizens of this country (particularly women, children born out of wedlock, and gay people) is absolutely abhorrent to me.

Lookup White Genocide, the population replacement agenda driven by the leftwing marxist organisations around the world to make European White people a minority and to end Anglo-American-European Hegemony in the world.

Sorry but you're talkng absolute sh1te.

Women don't have abortions because of Marxist plots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Why? I'm not yet seeing the part where abortion will be compulsory for all, not just for rape victims, severe disabilities etc...

Weren't the RCC only the other day trying to link legalising abortion to the opening of a door to euthanasia for the elderly and people with disabilities.

EDIT: I'm really not looking forward to this campaign , my eyes will be rolling in my head so fast it'll look like they are still

Weren't the RCC only the other day trying to link legalising abortion to the opening of a door euthanasia of the elderly and people with disabilities.

Well it was mentioned in the Sean o rourke show today with Ronan Mullen and it did seem a bit extreme of a point to make, and not based on any facts that I could see.

kenmc wrote: »
    Why? I'm not yet seeing the part where abortion will be compulsory for all, not just for rape victims, severe disabilities etc...

Abortion cannot be used as a form of contraception. Society cannot become a place without responsibilities and abortion a way out for people who dont use contraceptive methods when practicising sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Jim Ellis

Weren't the RCC only the other day trying to link legalising abortion to the opening of a door to euthanasia for the elderly and people with disabilities.

They have a point. Morals and value of human life are slowly being eroded in society. The right-on liberals will find something else to focus their attention on after this referendum is passed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

What date will the referendum likely be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Soulsun wrote: »
    What date will the referendum likely be?

End of May.

The bull****!t's goanna be non-stop until then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Abortion cannot be used as a form of contraception. Society cannot become a place without responsibilities and abortion a way out for people who dont use contraceptive methods when practicising sex.
    What about those whose contraceptives fail for any reason?

I really hope that's a very short horse you're riding there, high ones can cause serious injuries when you fall off

Jim Ellis wrote: »
    They have a point. Morals and value of human life are slowly being eroded in society. The right-on liberals will find something else to focus their attention on after this referendum is passed.

Well you could say the same for the other side, if we vote no will they concentrate their efforts on getting a womans right to travel for an abortion removed?

• Advertisement

kenmc wrote: »
    What about those whose contraceptives fail for any reason?

I really hope that's a very short horse you're riding there, high ones can cause serious injuries when you fall off

God damn you passive agressive liberals. Respect my opinion !

It's not a form of contraception.

People should not be forced to having a child that they do not want or cannot support or for making a mistake.

I also strongly believe it's a highly personal choice for women and not for society.

Also, it's not led to any problems in other societies that have permitted abortion for around 50 years now.

EDIT: I'm really not looking forward to this campaign , my eyes will be rolling in my head so fast it'll look like they are still

yeah I'm not looking forward to it either because this issue is an extremely emotive one with strong views on both sides. I've no problem with people having a respectful and frank exchange of views on the issue. I think the facts need to be the central and most important thing. I feel both sides need to deal in facts.

I would say in January 2018 I'm most certainly in the undecided column. That's why I mentioned about Ronan Mullen being a poor spokesperson(or advocate) for the anti repeal side. He certainly puts me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Army_of_One

lol

• Subscribers Posts: 171 ✭✭Night Falls

There is a whole lot of crazy on this thread and it is absolutely fascinating to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

It won't be...

• Advertisement

Yes, in the good old days there was huge respect for morals and the value of life which is why unmarried women were forced into laundries and their children, the ones who didn't die of neglect and get left in a septic tank, were sold to Americans.

How dare the liberals insist on closing the laundries and compensating the women. The cheek of liberals to insist that being an unmarried mother is not a crime worthy of incarceration of mother and child. The absolute nerve of liberals to deny the Church and State the right to sell children in return for lucrative export contracts.

Well with respect I think to say that Ireland was a shining city on the hill(to use the American phrase) in terms of value of human life in particular is seeing things through rose tinted glasses. The magdeline laundries, sex abuse scandals certainly don't point to any value of human life. It's good that we as a country are more excepting and more open. And the Catholic Church is still around and the poeple who wish to go to mass do so but it's not the iron grip it once had.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

These would be the crowd who were selling babies for cash, allowing vast amounts of child abuse go unchecked, putting infants remains in unmarked graves, septic tanks, harrassing unmarried mothers or those of whoms lifetstyles they disapproved? That RC?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Yes, in the good old days there was huge respect for morals and the value of life which is why unmarried women were forced into laundries and their children, the ones who didn't die of neglect and get left in a septic tank, were sold to Americans.

How dare the liberals insist on closing the laundries and compensating the women. The cheek of liberals to insist that being an unmarried mother is not a crime worthy of incarceration of mother and child. The absolute nerve of liberals to deny the Church and State the right to sell children in return for lucrative export contracts.

We are on the same wavelength. Truly the end is nigh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

My main gripe with the governments chosen method is when you take it out of the constitution and into the hands of the legislatures, every General Election forever more could effectively become another abortion referendum with every party proposing new changes as part of their manifesto. Whatever the new text is, if any, it needs to continue to live in the constitution

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement