Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 8th amendment(Mod warning in op)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Euthanasia? Oh does this mean the abortion debate is finally concluded? I expected it would go on a bit longer. I have all these logical points prepared. And retorts, so many retorts. What will I do now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

infogiver wrote: »
    Why is euthanasia a no brainer?
    That's a separate thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Cosmicfox

professore wrote: »
    So basically your mum was swayed by not wanting to be grouped with pro life religious types - I feel the same, they are disgraceful and irrational, but that doesn't make them totally wrong.

Your other family member was swayed by self interest - I have to say that's a very poor reason for changing your mind on something.

She was swayed because after just accepting the pro life stance for years she went did some proper research ,not just reading a youth defence leaflet, on what it really involves and why women would choose to do it. It might have pro-lifers acting stupidly that motivated her to do it but having more knowledge on the topic and then changing her opinion based on that knowledge seems reasonable to me

And I don't know what debate she watched, but they may not have been religious at all. Many pro-lifers aren't and it gets tiresome to hear them all labelled as Ned Flanders types. They can still behave just as badly. You can have pro-choice religious people as well.

So what if she was? As good a reason as any. Her circumstance could have changed and it was a wake up call to actually learn about it and that this isn't a topic that just affects other women. Could well have been her booking that flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Game Face MCGee

I really can't get my head around this whole debate.
    I've no religious affiliation and I'm a father of 3
    I can totally see why people want abortions, be it economic, not the right time, situational etc... I totally get why a woman would consider it as a solution. I'm logical in my though process.
    but I genuinely get a real pang or guilt or sadness when I think about the child/fetus (whatever side of the fence you sit) being terminated. I just cant shake it, and when people "celebrate" and are "overjoyed" about getting closer to legal abortion I just feel upset and think "how can you be so happy about this"
    not sure if I'm in the minority on this??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Euthanasia? Oh does this mean the abortion debate is finally concluded? I expected it would go on a bit longer. I have all these logical points prepared. And retorts, so many retorts. What will I do now?

Well, we'll all be dead before the possibility of a referendum is even discussed in the Dail and another poster was wondering what will be next and I thought gender quotas and another poster disagreed and said that gender quotas are not relevant to progressive liberals but euthanasia is.
    Its all about individuals deciding when life begins and ends, it seems, the way forward for the brave new Ireland...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Well, we'll all be dead before the possibility of a referendum is even discussed in the Dail and another poster was wondering what will be next and I thought gender quotas and another poster disagreed and said that gender quotas are not relevant to progressive liberals but euthanasia is.
    Its all about individuals deciding when life begins and ends, it seems, the way forward for the brave new Ireland...

Yeah its terrible that people should be allowed make these choices for themselves.

Well, we'll all be dead before the possibility of a referendum is even discussed in the Dail

Nope. They're not quick, but don't kid yourself.
    and another poster was wondering what will be next and I thought gender quotas and another poster disagreed and said that gender quotas are not relevant to progressive liberals but euthanasia is.

The term you're looking for is "bodily autonomy".

I can totally see why people want abortions, be it economic, not the right time, situational etc... I totally get why a woman would consider it as a solution. I'm logical in my though process.
    but I genuinely get a real pang or guilt or sadness when I think about the child/fetus (whatever side of the fence you sit) being terminated. I just cant shake it, and when people "celebrate" and are "overjoyed" about getting closer to legal abortion I just feel upset and think "how can you be so happy about this"

Probably not, but do you not think you're conflating some stuff here? We can feel sad for the necessity of a given abortion or abortions generally but be happy that women will no longer need to fear the intrusion of the state into their health and life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

but I genuinely get a real pang or guilt or sadness when I think about the child/fetus (whatever side of the fence you sit) being terminated. I just cant shake it
    Ultimately that's down to personal feelings. Although I'm pro-choice, I'm not going to say, "yeah whatever", when it comes to the loss of a foetus, be that naturally or through choice. There was a potential there, no doubt about it.

But for me, if one looks at the developing foetus dispassionately, that's all it was, potential. There wasn't yet a living, breathing individual with thoughts and feelings, with the ability to grow and learn independently.

I don't think it's possible for anyone to tell you how or what you should feel about it. All you can really do is think about how you feel about it, examine why you feel that way and decide if that's a reasonable way to feel about it, or if you're allowing your judgement to be clouded.

And FWIW - if it helps to "judge" where I'm coming from while you read my post - I'm a father of 2, and one miscarriage.
    when people "celebrate" and are "overjoyed" about getting closer to legal abortion I just feel upset and think "how can you be so happy about this"

They're happy about being given the choice. About freedom. The problem is that the two sides in the debate are not

"We want to save foetuses" -v- "We want to abort foetuses"

or

"We want to tell women what they can with their bodies" -v- "We want freedom of choice for women about reproduction".

It's

"We want to save foetuses" -v- "We want freedom of choice for women about reproduction".

Because these are not directly opposing viewpoints (a person can both oppose abortion and support choice, for example), then confusion reigns when they're placed side-by-side.

If you're pro-life, seeing people happy about a step towards abortion can appear like they're celebrating the opportunity to kill foetuses.

If you're pro-choice, then someone fighting against the right to choose abortion appears to be an inhumane fascist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Probably not, but do you not think you're conflating some stuff here? We can feel sad for the necessity of a given abortion or abortions generally but be happy that women will no longer need to fear the intrusion of the state into their health and life.

I think it's fairly human to have some conflicting emotions about it all. I'll be relieved and glad if the 8th amendment gets removed as it was an absolute disaster for that to be included in our constitution but I can't imagine feeling the need to celebrate on the streets when it happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Academic wrote: »
    So what happens next? (I'm not asking what people would like to happen next, a question on which we already know there are deep differences so there's to need to re-hash that. I'm asking what people think will happen next.)

Next a Dáil committee will appoint a subcommittee to look at the recommendations, then the chairman will resign and they'll start again, then an election will happen and they'll start again, then they'll report to the full committee, then an election and a new committee, then they'll report to the Minister, then the minister will ask them to look again, then they'll report again, then an election and a new committee. Then they'll report to the new minister, who will bring the report to cabinet, and the Government of the day will commit to adding something to their manifesto for the next election. Then they will lose the next election. Next the responsible Department will be merged with the Dept. of Fisheries and Space Travel, and the incoming minister will commit to studying the report of the committee, but he is new and there are many things higher on his priority list.

This will continue for about 30 years or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

I just cant shake it, and when people "celebrate" and are "overjoyed" about getting closer to legal abortion I just feel upset and think "how can you be so happy about this"

I think people are happy that they are finally being listened to.
    It's a step closer to women having control of their bodies throughout pregnancy, and deciding to continue an unwanted pregnancy or not.

No one will ever be forced into terminating a pregnancy and all the people who don't agree with abortion can continue to not avail of it.
    But women in desperate, dire circumstances might not be stuck anymore - that is a reason to celebrate.

Next a Dáil committee will appoint a subcommittee to look at the recommendations, then the chairman will resign and they'll start again, then an election will happen and they'll start again, then they'll report to the full committee, then an election and a new committee, then they'll report to the Minister, then the minister will ask them to look again, then they'll report again, then an election and a new committee. Then they'll report to the new minister, who will bring the report to cabinet, and the Government of the day will commit to adding something to their manifesto for the next election. Then they will lose the next election. Next the responsible Department will be merged with the Dept. of Fisheries and Space Travel, and the incoming minister will commit to studying the report of the committee, but he is new and there are many things higher on his priority list.

This will continue for about 30 years or so.

I like the space bit of this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Morals don't exist in society now. Everyone thinks they can do what they want, when they want. The family life is dying off, less togetherness in society now which is probably why I enjoy my own community as we tend to have a bondness, instead of the empty vessel of multiculturalism which is utterly meaningless.

Morals don't exist in society now. Everyone thinks they can do what they want, when they want. The family life is dying off, less togetherness in society now which is probably why I enjoy my own community as we tend to have a bondness, instead of the empty vessel of multiculturalism which is utterly meaningless.

This is all in your head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

...and all the people who don't agree with abortion can continue to not avail of it.

Which is like saying that those who are opposed to the death penalty... can continue to not execute people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Including FGM, prostitution and womb renting?

I don't think a lot of women want to to do those things.

Which is like saying that those who are opposed to the death penalty... can continue to not execute people.

It's not like saying that at all.

This is all in your head.
    Of course it is as is every view anyone has ever held in human history. That is my view. If you think fundamental rules shouldn't exist, then just let everyone do what they want in society. We shouldn't have laws on anything.

What's this bilge got to do with what he was saying?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I genuinely get a real pang or?guilt or sadness?when I think about the child/fetus (whatever side of the fence you sit) being terminated. I just cant shake it, and when people "celebrate" and are "overjoyed" about getting closer to legal abortion I just feel upset and think "how can you be so happy about this"

Not at all. I have tried to communicate with many people against abortion and their position on it quite often comes down to nothing more than what you describe here. Their position on the matter is entirely emotional, and not at all intellectual.

And why would it not be? We are a species that is hyper-tuned to be protective of our young. An attribute in us that is so hyper active that it triggers when we look at the young of many OTHER species, especially in the bird and mammal domains.

And we also trigger at the vulnerable and the under dog, feeling a hyper sense of justice and wanting to protect them and fight their corner.

And this is an issue of having the abortion debate rationally and civilly. The Pro-Choice position tends to be quiet rational and intellectual before emotional, but we are bringing that to a table where the people on the other side are often very much emotional before intellectual........ which is why they are showing emotive pictures rather than making arguments or clinging to emotive words like "baby" rather than "fetus" and so forth.

So no, I do not think you are in a minority here at all. And in fact I think even the pro-choice people you describe as "celebrating" certain changes are not immune to the emotions you describe either. I know I certainly am not. I just have the ability to check my emotions and parse them through rational discourse and check which ones are worthy and relevant, and which ones I need to simply build a bridge and get over.

But I think "celebrating" is probably the wrong word. I know I, and pretty much every pro-choice campaigner I have had any deep conversations with, would "celebrate" a world where no abortions happen at all. That would be worth celebrating. Wishing people to have the CHOICE of abortion does not mean we prefer them to be taking that choice. We would ideally want a word where 100% of people had the choice of abortion but 0% of them ever took it or required it.

So we would prefer to "Celebrate" any successful initiative that reduces people needing that choice. Better and EARLIER sex education in schools. Cheaper and more effective and more widely accessible contraception. Better financial support for parents, especially single parents, who are making a choice for abortion solely due to financial or resource pressures. And so on and so on and so on.

You do wonder what the next crusade will be for the progressives who seek to ruin everything and anything.

There wont be very much left but I imagine gender quotas here, there and everywhere will be next.
    The very idea that I got a job or a promotion or anything just because an employer had a  gender quota  to fill and im the right gender is just so nauseating to me I think ill have to retire from this life altogether.
    Mankind as a term is now up for debate, gender neutral bathrooms and other such guff. Welcome to 21st century cultural marxism.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

What's this bilge got to do with what he was saying?

Baiting, of course.

gender neutral bathrooms and other such guff. Welcome to 21st century cultural marxism.

Every home I've ever visited has had gender neutral bathrooms. Never knew Ireland was such a hive of cultural Marxism.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Mankind as a term is now up for debate, gender neutral bathrooms and other such guff. Welcome to 21st century cultural marxism.

Oh I dunno. I have not yet waded into the whole gender identity discourse myself. I am wholly ignorant of it, and all the trans-gender issues and terminology and what they want to call themselves and so forth. I hold my hands up and simply admit almost total ignorance on the issue and hope to sit down with someone who can explain it all to me. There have been a few coherent posters on this site who seem to know the ins and outs of the whole thing and I would love a few hours of their time.

But the whole issue of bathrooms to me is totally separate from modern gender identity and transgender-ism and other issues. From the age of 6, which is about 3 decades ago now, I have found the idea of public bathrooms being segregated by sex AT ALL to be ridiculous in the first place. And it is a feeling that has never left me since.

And I do not see that as me seeking "to ruin everything and anything". I see it as something that is just not that great an idea in the first place.

What it has to do with a thread on abortion however, I have to admit, is also entirely unknown to me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I enjoy my own community as we tend to have a bondness, instead of the empty vessel of multiculturalism which is utterly meaningless.

Do all the other ponies agree with you? Tell us about this one dimensional community of ponies where everyone agrees...do you allow ponies from other pony cultures into your field or are they forbidden?

frag420 wrote: »
    Tell us about this one dimensional community of ponies where everyone agrees...

I have an image now of a herd of ponies wearing bowlers and sashes trotting behind a pipe and drum band.

I enjoy my own community as we tend to have a bondness, instead of the empty vessel of multiculturalism which is utterly meaningless.

Do all the other ponies agree with you? Tell us about this one dimensional community of ponies where everyone agrees...do you allow ponies from other pony cultures into your field or are they forbidden?
    No I'm not telling you.

I'm not sure i would like to live in a bubble like that.
    Of course it is as is every view anyone has ever held in human history. That is my view. If you think fundamental rules shouldn't exist, then just let everyone do what they want in society. We shouldn't have laws on anything.

Presumably those fundamental rules should come from a really old book?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

You are definitely not the only one. Whilst I would never redicule a woman or a couple for seeking an abortion for what ever reason, I would still rather that abortions would not be in place for socioeconomic reasons, and only for pregnancies as a result rape/incest, or or where their was a risk to either the fetus or mother, on which the Citezins Asembely now seem to be voting on.

Morals don't exist in society now.  Everyone thinks they can do what they want, when they want. The family  life is dying off, less togetherness in society now which is probably  why I enjoy my own community as we tend to have a bondness, instead of  the empty vessel of multiculturalism which is utterly  meaningless.

I'm not sure i would like to live in a bubble like that.  

Presumably those fundamental rules should come from a really old book?
    Nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

No, it's like saying people can make choices rather than one set of people forcing their beliefs and choices on everyone else.

No, it's like saying people can make choices rather than one set of people forcing their beliefs and choices on everyone else.
    Beliefs and choices are forced on people every day. It is called law.

That is the point of the thread. People want that law changed. And we have moved one step closer to doing that.

No I'm not telling you.

Playground tactics...good call!!

Interesting fact.... My Little Pony was one of the first children's cartoons to kill of a character!!

• Advertisement

Or we could continuously try to reason our way through morality as the context changes, like adults.

Fundamental rules are for children and slaves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭phater phagan

idnkph wrote: »
    There was me thinking the Dail was our citizens assembly. After all we did vote for them.
    More great politics from our elected leaders. Put this decision on someone else to vote for it. Then they can't accept any of the blame for outcomes.

It's much better this way. The less the politicians do, the less damage to be done. Now if we could just get turkeys to vote for Xmas, perhaps we could get the politicians to cut their own numbers by two-thirds. Just imagine - less Irish Water style decisions ( not to mention electronic voting, Childrens' hospital delays, Healy-Raes, etc).:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I can totally see why people want abortions, be it economic, not the right time, situational etc... I totally get why a woman would consider it as a solution. I'm logical in my though process.
    but I genuinely get a real pang or guilt or sadness when I think about the child/fetus (whatever side of the fence you sit) being terminated. I just cant shake it, and when people "celebrate" and are "overjoyed" about getting closer to legal abortion I just feel upset and think "how can you be so happy about this"

I get where your coming from and definitely I wouldn't be dancing in the streets about it like the marriage referendum but it's not a happy occasion to have an abortion.

But I will feel happy that Ireland has finally faced the fact that women are having abortions anyway, all we're doing at the moment is shipping the problem out.

That is the point of the thread. People want that law changed. And we have moved one step closer to doing that.

some people want the law changed. we really don't know how many. a referendum would tell us.

some people want the law changed. we really don't know how many. a referendum would tell us.

Eh...yes.

Were you meant to add more to that or is that it, pointing out the bleeding obvious!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

No one is celebrating or overjoyed at the thoughts of abortion, we are celebrating what we see as a significant change in attitudes and the possibility that we are moving away from the situation we currently have that sees women with few options.

I'm also a parent but it's because I'm a parent that I'm pro choice. I want my daughter to have the opportunity to have full control of when she becomes a mother, I want her to be allowed make the right choice for her if she's given the news of FFA.

I feel a bit more positive that we are closer to that eventuality and that is what I, and others I suspect, are celebrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The great thing about laws is they can change as attitudes change.

Eh...yes.

Were you meant to add more to that or is that it, pointing out the bleeding obvious!?

Your very angry, I don't know why...but anyway... the poster said that people want the law changed.
    I pointed out that SOME people want the law changed, and some don't. A referendum will tell us one way or the other.
    The best thing to do if you don't like a posters "style" is to block that poster, maybe you didn't realise that.
    Or if you find the post breaks any forum rules you should "report" the post.
    Replying to me as you did just marks you out as being too rude and aggressive.

well some, for a currently unknown value of some, was assumed. Otherwise i would have said all. At least you are in agreement that a referendum is the right course of action. Let the people speak.

well some, for a currently unknown value of some, was assumed. Otherwise i would have said all. At least you are in agreement that a referendum is the right course of action. Let the people speak.

I always wanted a referendum.
    I'm almost fanatically democratic and passionate that matters of grave importance should be put before the people.
    If it doesn't go the way I voted, so be it, but let the people have their say.

Your very angry, I don't know why...but anyway... the poster said that people want the law changed.
    I pointed out that SOME people want the law changed, and some don't. A referendum will tell us one way or the other.
    The best thing to do if you don't like a posters "style" is to block that poster, maybe you didn't realise that.
    Or if you find the post breaks any forum rules you should "report" the post.
    Replying to me as you did just marks you out as being too rude and aggressive.

Sounds like someone needs a big hug!! Sending one your way right.....NOW!!!

Feel better now?

And I'm far from angry, I'm very chilled out right about now due to some very liberal drug laws!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,415 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Yes, there most certainly is an element of hubris in the Repeal the 8th movement, just like there was in the same-sex marriage campaign. It does go over-the-top with the "celebrate" and "overjoyed". That disappoints, sickens and saddens me too. However, that doesn't mean their message is wrong.

Like you, I am a father of 3. I will be voting to replace the 8th Amendment. It is a very stupid amendment which has caused huge problems both legally and socially. The sooner it is gone, the better.

What should replace it? That is a matter for the Oireachtas to decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Akrasia wrote: »
    From your posts, you seem to define human life as when something looks human.
    For me, I define human life as when something can feel human (to itself)

OK so you mean something is human when it's self aware? Eighteen months after birth then in that case. See the difficulty there?
    The Developmental of Self-Awareness The neurobiological and psychological triggers for self-awareness have not yet been clarified. What we do know is that this occurs around 1 – 3 years. The child begins to know her own name and refer to herself by name. The child will begin to look in the mirror and realize she is looking at herself. She will also make clearer her own likes and dislikes, needs and wishes.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/great-kids-great-parents/201211/self-awareness

Sounds like someone needs a big hug!! Sending one your way right.....NOW!!!

Feel better now?

And I'm far from angry, I'm very chilled out right about now due to some very liberal drug laws!!

If you need narcotics to help you to cope with your life on a Monday afternoon in springtime then its most definitely you that needs the hug! But thanks anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I know it a subject people feel passionate about on boards ( and in real life ) but on boards why does it attract so many self righteous nasty people and its both sides.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement