Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 8th amendment(Mod warning in op)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

People had to work that day. Easy get a rent a mob on the weekend.

But we shall prevail and the RCC and their cohorts will be finally but in their place.

Also easy to get a good crowd when you have the funds to lay in buses from around the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

kylith wrote: »
    Also easy to get a good crowd when you have the funds to lay in buses from around the country.

Agree.

To be fair however, they (all 15,000 approx.) did give up their Saturday to come represent.

I'm assuming the pro repeal crowd will have a rally soon? (Thursday's being International Women's day)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

all the piles of pre-printed material they had couldn't be cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I'm sure they will fully comply with the rules around spending for political purposes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

You think people are going to take money from the pro-life campaign so that they can get a free bus to Dublin?:confused:

It was the exact opposite. My bus was €20 but most were throwing extra money knowing it was going towards the campaign.

Yesterday was a long day. I left at 8am and I was back home in Cork a few mins late for Match of the Day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Thread needs a poll attached to it to get an idea what way people will vote.

You don’t need a poll. I can tell you.
    If only boardsies were allowed to vote the referendum would be carried 80/20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

That was an enormous crowd today and a surprising number of young people.

The media have got it all wrong about the amendment and the public appetite for change, whether this is deliberate or not is hard to know. The media should be objective but they are partisan regarding this issue and when people come together to march you can clearly see how wrong the media is.

It was the same with Brexit and the same with Donald Trump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

amdublin wrote: »
    Agree.

To be fair however, they (all 15,000 approx.) did give up their Saturday to come represent.

I'm assuming the pro repeal crowd will have a rally soon? (Thursday's being International Women's day)

I'm surprised you don't know IWD was last Thursday.

• Advertisement

tretorn wrote: »

The media have got it all wrong about the amendment and the public appetite for change, whether this is deliberate or not is hard to know. The media should be objective but they are partisan regarding this issue and when people come together to march you can clearly see how wrong the media is.

What was on today??

Edward M wrote: »

That's what I mean?? Last Thursdays March was iwd. Not a repeal march (although a lot of marchers marched for iwd under the banner of repeal)

Wonder when the repeal march will be on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

I heard that priests in Galway masses were encouraging the flock to go to the march in Dublin. Its like the 80s again.

You think people are going to take money from the pro-life campaign so that they can get a free bus to Dublin?:confused:

It was the exact opposite. My bus was €20 but most were throwing extra money knowing it was going towards the campaign.

Yesterday was a long day. I left at 8am and I was back home in Cork a few mins late for Match of the Day.

I don't think think the poster meant that the marchers were using the buses to get up to Dublin (for something other than the march??)

They meant that buses were laid on to bus supporters up. It makes it easier for people to march.

You have clarified you paid for your bus.
    I made the point that people did give up their Saturday to represent.

Its a sign that the Government better stop listening to the media and get out there and talk to people on the doortep.

That was a huge March and it gives a voice to people whose view isnt popular in the liberal media.

I cant see anything wrong with families marching together, it was the same with the last pro life March I saw, whole families out together, surely its healthy for Children to see democracy in action.

The anti repaeal the 8th protesters are from all backgrounds, they are athiests, Church of Ireland people, you name it. Another big mistake is to tar all those in who are against abortion as religious fundamentalists, nothing could be further than the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

That's what I mean?? Last Thursdays March was iwd. Not a repeal march (although a lot of marchers marched for iwd under the banner of repeal)

Wonder when the repeal march will be on?

I guess a weekend one will be better, but I don't think a march by either side will change many minds anyway.
    This is a vote, not a tool to persuade a govt.
    I'd go so far as to say that imo large demonstrations aggregate people really, a shouting match with stoic views trying to push your message down ordinary peoples gullets doesent work, ordinary people aren't trying to get elected.

Its funny how many women were there even though we are being told constantly how repeal the 8th is so anti women.

None of the women looked they they were forced to march against their will.

• Site Banned Posts: 62 ✭✭Ismisejack

The media couldn’t be more bias should they try, so much for impartial news. Ud be forgiven for thinking the pro choice side fund them;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭circadian

Ah yes, the old fake news routine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Its a sign that the Government better stop listening to the media and get out there and talk to people on the doortep.

That was a huge March and it gives a voice to people whose view isnt popular in the liberal media.

The government are listening to the people, not the media, thus their published policy paper and the referendum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The thing I noticed around Wexford at least is the sheer amount of advertising to Save the 8th. I have yet to see anything for the repeal side.
    When this was first brought up there was a group going around the county promoting pro life,all well and good and it's their right but what I didn't like was the fact several of them had young kids in tow while carrying pictures and placards of aborted foetuses. Not the thing to be exposing young kids to.

Ismisejack wrote: »
    The media couldn’t be more bias should they try, so much for impartial news. Ud be forgiven for thinking the pro choice side fund them;)

Ah the old biased media routine

Aaaaand the old pro choice side and their money job

Its funny how many women were there even though we are being told constantly how repeal the 8th is so anti women.

None of the women looked they they were forced to march against their will.

Yes it's great they have choice to.march or not.

Better if women have individual choice on other stuff too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Naughty step for AM.

Consisting of ten hour harangue from Comrades Smith and Coppinger :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

and do what? Call off the referendum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

eviltwin wrote: »
    I brought my son to the pro choice march last year, he's 8. He doesn't understand abortion but he knew we were marching so women could have agency over their own body, he understands that concept well. It's up to each parent to decide what their child needs to know and every child is different. I don't think taking a child to any march regardless of your "side" is wrong, I just know I'd rather my kids marched with those who are now judgemental, open minded and supportive.
    Discodog wrote: »
    Really ? Try running that past a child psychologist. I disagree with it regardless of the side & I am pro choice.

I'm not sure I understand what you disagree with. The fact that a child could understand women having agency over their own bodies, is it? If that is what you are getting at I doubt you'd find a child psychologist to agree with you. For quite a while now most sensible people have been teaching children exactly that about their own bodies so it's not a stretch for them to understand that what applies to them also applies to other people.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Naughty step for AM.

Consisting of ten hour harangue from Comrades Smith and Coppinger :)

Ha! Lol :)

I think it was a misinterpretation between what I posted and what it read as. I clarified what I meant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Ha! Lol :)

I think it was a misinterpretation between what I posted and what it read as. I clarified what I meant.

Ah Leave Bonnied alone - he has a quota of digs at any thing he perceives as left-wing to reach ... and some times he really has to reach to try and reach it. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,935 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I hope & believe that this referendum won't be decided by demonstrations. It's an individual, not mob, decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Unregulated Yankee money to save Ireland.

Yet yer one being interviewed by Matt Cooper said all monies donated were from Irish doners,she didn't sound too convincing and I don't think Matt was too convinced either.

I guess a weekend one will be better, but I don't think a march by either side will change many minds anyway.
    This is a vote, not a tool to persuade a govt.
    I'd go so far as to say that imo large demonstrations aggregate people really, a shouting match with stoic views trying to push your message down ordinary peoples gullets doesent work, ordinary people aren't trying to get elected.

Presume you mean aggravate.

I would agree they won't change peoples minds as they are only catering for their own side.

However, it does energise their base.

The Pro-life movement while strong in local areas around the country, it doesn't have that national profile. You only get that from the media and the repeal side have all the media behind them.*

Yesterday showed to those activists, "you are not ploughing a lone furrow"

The same people on my bus that were reluctant about canvassing on the way up were asking question about the canvass on the way back down.

As for being stoic in your views. It is final battle and will decide the election I feel. In such a divisive referendum both sides will try to claim that higher ground.

*RTE have the biggest influencer so the sooner the referendum is announced the better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Discodog wrote: »
    I hope & believe that this referendum won't be decided by demonstrations. It's an individual, not mob, decision.

It’s worse than that. Watching that march yesterday.. predominantly elderly people and their really young grandkids and countless amounts of really intense Americans somehow that came over to take part.None of whom can vote here.
    The march went that slowly literally because
    It’s participants aren’t exactly up to walking that far or that fast.
    People not long for this world groping at the bodily autonomy and reproductive rights of young women in this country for years to come is really sinister.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

david75 wrote: »
    It’s worse than that. Watching that march yesterday.. predominantly elderly people and their really young grandkids and countless amounts of really intense Americans somehow that came over to take part.None of whom can vote here.
    People not long for this world groping at the bodily autonomy and reproductive rights of young women in this country for years to come is really sinister.

From the reports on the news and from pictures on the internet I saw lots and lots of young voting age women. From reading your post and many other pro choice posts you would swear that all young voting age women are pro choice which I don’t think is true.

Btw, I am an undecided voter

• Advertisement

statesaver wrote: »
    From the reports on the news and from pictures on the internet I saw lots and lots of young voting age women. From reading your post and many other pro choice posts you would swear that all young voting age women are pro choice which I don’t think I true.

Btw, I am an undecided voter

I might have been too maybe.
    I can’t tell anymore tbh. that girl Fatima from youth defence was at a Repeal march last year holding a sign saying ‘abort terminally ill babies’. But then this week she was outside the dail holding a sign saying she’s ‘a bad ass pro life feminist(her words). She clearly doesn’t understand contradiction’ in word or concept. Hopefully ‘transparent nonsense’ is within her limited grasp.

Bored to death at laughing at the pro life campaign. I’d like to have really taken it seriously and heard some different opinions. The carry on this week alone is repugnant.

100,000 tons of bull****

I had 3 aunts who are doctors on the march yesterday including one consultant involved in Doctors for Life.

They are all recently retired and in their 60s and have been dealing with pregnant women coming through their practices over the last 40 years.

They all walked at the same pace as I did. We didn't walk through College Green. Bar O'Connell St. we walked the least intrusive route for a Saturday in Dublin.

Did you ever walk out of Croke Park after a Dubs match through Jones Road? That is what it was like.

Whatever about these Americans that came over, there was a decent number from the 6 counties at the march yesterday that AFAIK won't have a vote in the referendum.

Maybe that will give you some comfort David.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

This thread just keeps on giving.

I had 3 aunts who are doctors on the march yesterday including one consultant involved in Doctors for Life.

They are all recently retired and in their 60s and have been dealing with pregnant women coming through their practices over the last 40 years.

They all walked at the same pace as I did. We didn't walk through College Green. Bar O'Connell St. we walked the least intrusive route for a Saturday in Dublin.

Did you ever walk out of Croke Park after a Dubs match through Jones Road? That is what it was like.

Whatever about these Americans that came over, there was a decent number from the 6 counties at the march yesterday that AFAIK won't have a vote in the referendum.

Maybe that will give you some comfort David.

It was a lovely day for it. Dublin is lovely in the sunshine. Almost an entirely different place when the sun shines to be honest. Hope you all had a good day.
    As for the 6 counties and our American visitors I don’t know, I seem to remember the same omnipresent self appointed mouthpieces complaining about outside interference in our marriage equality campaign and the interference being unwelcome. But somehow the same self appointed mouthpieces celebrating this interference and involvement on this debate all of a sudden ? Not to mention the money.

It’s of no matter. The future doesn’t belong to me or you or your aunts. It belongs to the most clued in, educated, progressive, and sound youth in all Europe.

Ireland is about to grow up and shake the shame off. Finally.

‘Shake the shame off’. I don’t get that. What is shameful about wanting to protect the unborn.

• Advertisement

‘Shake the shame off’. I don’t get that. What is shameful about wanting to protect the unborn.

Are you new here? Have you just arrived? Honest question. Magdalene laundries. 700 babies in a septic tank in tuam. Industrial schools. And endless rapist priests being protected and hidden from justice by the church. That shame. Now were gonna let women make their own decisions for themselves. Don’t worry. It won’t affect you. At. All.

Are you new here? Have you just arrived? Honest question. Magdalene laundries. 700 babies in a septic tank in tuam. Industrial schools. And endless rapist priests being protected and hidden from justice by the church. That shame. Now were gonna let women make their own decisions for themselves. Don’t worry. It won’t affect you. At. All.

That shame ok. Although I don’t know why I should feel ashamed, I am not a Catholic, did not part take in anything or cover up anything. People who did are the ones who should feel shame.

This is a thread about Repealing the 8th not about the many sins of the Catholic Church.

I do like staying on topic.

It was a lovely day for it. Dublin is lovely in the sunshine. Almost an entirely different place when the sun shines to be honest. Hope you all had a good day.
    As for the 6 counties and our American visitors I don’t know, I seem to remember the same omnipresent self appointed mouthpieces complaining about outside interference in our marriage equality campaign and the interference being unwelcome. But somehow the same self appointed mouthpieces celebrating this interference and involvement on this debate all of a sudden ? Not to mention the money.

It’s of no matter. The future doesn’t belong to me or you or your aunts. It belongs to the most clued in, educated, progressive, and sound youth in all Europe.

I must have missed the memo.

I must excuse myself. Sure what would doctors dealing with pregnant women know? They haven't lived in the future.

All hail "the most clued in, educated, progressive, and sound youth in all Europe."

What party do they represent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Sexual abuse and cover ups are not the sole province of any creed, race or political ideology.

Ask Brid Smith about the rape culture in her party - the SWP, not whatever alphabet soup they hide behind; or McDonald about Adams protecting his child rapist brother and numerous others at high levels it would seem.

Secular Britain is uncovering a horror story of abuse as we speak, but of course there are political reasons why left has nothing to say about it, and indeed was and is complicit in protecting the predators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

And we're off again.....

20104615457_SF1978_1x02_Deflectorshield.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Sure what would doctors dealing with pregnant women know? They haven't lived in the future.

Doctors are not obliged to give information on abortion in Ireland and have been in a legal quandary for many years. The referendum will sort that out for them, allowing them to provide a complete medical service where appropriate.

That shame ok. Although I don’t know why I should feel ashamed, I am not a Catholic, did not part take in anything or cover up anything. People who did are the ones who should feel shame.

This is a thread about Repealing the 8th not about the many sins of the Catholic Church.

I do like staying on topic.

You did ask.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement