Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 8th amendment(Mod warning in op)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Percy Judd wrote: »
    At what point do we 'care' about humans then?
    What stage of mental or cognitive development?
    What stage of physical development?

At exactly the same point we do for all other humans, when it's capable of surviving without it's own personal human life support machine.

Just because you can't live without my kidney doesn't entitle you or the government to force me to donate it to you.

Just because a fetus can't live outside my womb doesn't entitle the fetus or the government to force to continue to allow it to reside there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sfc 1895

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    4k Irish women procure abortions every single year.
    Ireland is by no means an abortion free country. Irish women are having them, just not in Ireland.
    I already know a few people who have had them. I imagine most people know someone who has had one. You have no grip on reality at all.

Just wondering if you feel the same about Heroin? Thousands of people take unsafe stuff every day yet we do not legalise it . I imagine a lot of people know somebody who is affected.
    I actually support repealing the 8th however the above argument of "everybody's doing it so let's legalise" does not hold weight

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Percy Judd

....... wrote: »

If you want a load of pro-choice people posting and slapping each other on the back about how 'right on' they are for their pro-abortion views then why not just ban anyone with a pro-life opinion from the website?
    I could equally refer to pro-abortion posters as 'tedious' but would prefer not to stoop to such lows.

gctest50 wrote: »
    Now you are here, you want it all to be leprechauns and maidens dancing at crossroads ?

I have an Irish passport. No need for sarcastic comments.

At exactly the same point we do for all other humans, when it's capable of surviving without it's own personal human life support machine.

So should we turn comatose patients life support off? There are lots of human lives which cannot survive without support. How is that a justification for killing them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

I think I have caught you lot out on this point.

Yeah, well done newly registered poster of 34 posts. You've managed to catch us all out, even those of us who have been discussing this matter long before you rocked up and have responded to questions like these before.

You totally win the Internet today dude. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I have posted what stage of development a 12-week fetus is at regarding heartbeat, responding to stimulus, hands, feet, arms, legs, brain synapses, etc.
    And yet you can't be straight and say you don't consider that a human life.
    BUT you can't tell me at what stage of development the pregnancy becomes a human life.

I'll bite.
    A 12 week old fetus is most definitely biologically human. However, at that gestation, it doesn't really have any human attributes. It cannot survive on its own outside the womb. It depends on its host wholly to survive and thrive.

Sentience is developed by the fetus some time between week 18 and 22.
    It is at that point that I see it as a separate human being and deserving of its own human rights.
    Up until that point, the woman's needs and wants and rights outweigh that of the unborn.

The woman carrying the child is more important than the perspective person a fetus will become after 40 weeks gestation. She is living, breathing, and here. So her rights win.

And also, you haven't "caught out" or proven anything - people are slow to respond because you're about the 30th pro-lifer to offer up this nugget of genius only for them to end up completely wrong on the matter.

Just because you favour abortion and disagree with the pro-life side doesn't automatically imply their arguments are not informed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

markodaly wrote: »
    You are falling into your own trap of conformation bias. Just because you had an experience does not mean that it as true for all Irish emigrants of the 1980's.

According to CSO figures 206,000 people left Ireland during the 80's. The vast vast majority of these for economic reasons.

Again, I said social reasons may have contributed but to argue that the majority of emigration was caused by social issues flies in the face of established facts.

Given that I very clearly wrote about my personal experience not the wider Irish experience, never once said it was the majority of Irish people but it was the majority of the Irish people I knew, specifically clarified that it was the Gaymen, Lesbians, and Lefties - how about you pull your horns in, accept that I know among whom I lived and worked, and move on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Sfc 1895 wrote: »
    Just wondering if you feel the same about Heroin? Thousands of people take unsafe stuff every day yet we do not legalise it . I imagine a lot of people know somebody who is affected.
    I actually support repealing the 8th however the above argument of "everybody's doing it so let's legalise" does not hold weight

There's political and public support for the criminilisation of the selling of hard drugs.

There's absolutely no support for the criminilisation of women who have abortions, abroad or here. So why keep a law that isn't used and nobody wants to use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I have posted what stage of development a 12-week fetus is at regarding heartbeat, responding to stimulus, hands, feet, arms, legs, brain synapses, etc.
    And yet you can't be straight and say you don't consider that a human life.
    BUT you can't tell me at what stage of development the pregnancy becomes a human life.
    Even Fred Swanson implying we shouldn't care about the life growing inside a woman, until childbirth occurs.

I don't consider a foetus at 12 weeks to be human life. I consider it to be potential human life. I consider it to be human life when it is capable of surviving outside of the womb. People are free to disagree with this.
    If you want a load of pro-choice people posting and slapping each other on the back about how 'right on' they are for their pro-abortion views then why not just ban anyone with a pro-life opinion from the website?
    I could equally refer to pro-abortion posters as 'tedious' but would prefer not to stoop to such lows.

Nobody is calling for pro-life to be banned, nor would they? Why would you even bring that up? Nobody is backslapping either like some weird cult. Pro-choice just so happens to agree with pro-choice. Pro-life just so happens to agree with pro-life.

Sfc 1895 wrote: »

It most certainly not a case of jumping on the bandwagon. We are denying 4 thousand women basic healthcare, forcing them to travel because our government won't provide services.
    Its absolutely disgraceful that it has even taken this long for the referendum to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Percy Judd wrote:
    I think I have caught you lot out on this point. I have posted what stage of development a 12-week fetus is at regarding heartbeat, responding to stimulus, hands, feet, arms, legs, brain synapses, etc. And yet you can't be straight and say you don't consider that a human life. BUT you can't tell me at what stage of development the pregnancy becomes a human life. Even Fred Swanson implying we shouldn't care about the life growing inside a woman, until childbirth occurs.
    You're looking so hard at the uterus, you can't see the human being attached to it.

A 12 week foetus cannot survive outside the womb. It depends on the woman's body. It is not a human life at that stage.

24 weeks has been observed to be around the earliest gestation for a baby to survive outside the womb. So your point about a pregnancy being terminated close to full gestation isn't right. The child would be delivered and handed over to the state as it is capable of surviving outside the woman's body.

Just because you favour abortion and disagree with the pro-life side doesn't automatically imply their arguments are not informed.

No one favours abortion. We favour choice.

Sentience is developed by the fetus some time between week 18 and 22.
    It is at that point that I see it as a separate human being and deserving of its own human rights.
    sentient

1. having the power of perception by the senses; conscious.

2. characterized by sensation and consciousness.

So if that's what defines a 'separate human being' to you, should we legalize killing of unconscious people? Comatose patients? People with brain damage who dip in and out of consciousness? Like the unborn they have potential for consciousness in the future. Can we kill them too?

• Advertisement

No one favours abortion. We favour choice.

Choice to what?

There's nearly 10,000 posts on this topic.
    I have been on boards not even a week.
    I just registered to ask my bank a question but this topic caught my eye.
    If it's so simple, why don't you logically defeat my arguments instead of the lazy 'oh someone else has already defeated them, somewhere, I can't be bothered'.? Because you can't.

Percy Judd wrote:
    So should we turn comatose patients life support off? There are lots of human lives which cannot survive without support. How is that a justification for killing them?
    You're comparing a woman's body to life support.
    A woman is not a soulless incubator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

sentient

So if that's what defines a 'separate human being' to you, should we legalize killing of unconsciousness people? Comatose patients? People with brain damage who dip in and out of consciousness? Like the unborn they have potential for consciousness in the future. Can we kill them too?

.... isn't that exactly what happened in the Charlie Gard case and currently happening with another young child in the UK? It happens with brain dead people every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Life support is regularly switched off and life saving measures are not taken for those close to death so not a great example on your part.

For me, and many others there's also a vast difference between machine operated life support and a human being being forced to provide their body parts for another human being.

We don't even have compulsory organ donation when people die, that's only for pregnant women.

sentient

So if that's what defines a 'separate human being' to you, should we legalize killing of unconsciousness people? Comatose patients? People with brain damage who dip in and out of consciousness? Like the unborn they have potential for consciousness in the future. Can we kill them too?

At least you consistently place the same value on a foetus as someone already born, leaving and breathing...
    Choice to what?

Choice of what's best for them.

If we had a poll on whether or not people would want a system where there would never be a need for abortion again (not gonna happen, but lets pretend it's possible), what do you think they results will be?

sentient

No, no, no, no, and no. You asked when I consider it human, I said when it develops human traits such as sentience. There are many other human traits (such as respiration, personality, insight). Sentience is one of the FIRST to develop which is why I mentioned it.
    We're talking about aborting unborn fetuses here, not giving grown adults the lethal injection. Presumably someone in a coma would have other human traits besides sentience, not that it matters, because its absolutely nothing to do with abortion.
    Nice try with the deflecting, though.

Choice to what?

A choice in making the best decision they possibly can in their own unique circumstances. If it ends in abortion, so be it. I trust and support women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

A 12 week foetus cannot survive outside the womb. It depends on the woman's body. It is not a human life at that stage. .

I believe this is ultimately a subjective ethical judgement rather than a scientific fact. If the pro-lifer decides that a new 'human life' comes into existence at the point of fertilisation, I don't believe that position can be refuted by science.

No, no, no, no, and no. You asked when I consider it human, I said when it develops human traits such as sentience. There are many other human traits (such as respiration, personality, insight). Sentience is one of the FIRST to develop which is why I mentioned it.

You only mentioned sentience so that's what I argued with.
    Again, respiration - if someone needs a respirator machine to breathe, are they not human?
    If someone has no insight or personality due to mental disorders, are they not human?
    These are very weak arguments to be honest.

• Advertisement

A choice in making the best decision they possibly can in their own unique circumstances. If it ends in abortion, so be it. I trust and support women.

A choice to abort, yes.
    Stop trying to hide behind terms like 'pro-choice'. It's not pro-choice of whether to get your haircut today or tomorrow, it's pro-choice of having the option to terminate a pregnancy. Nothing else.

I believe this is ultimately a subjective ethical judgement rather than a scientific fact. If the pro-lifer decides that a new 'human life' comes into existence at the point of fertilisation, I don't believe that position can be refuted by science.
    Well it is a fact that a 12 week foetus cannot survive on its own.

I believe it should not have the same rights as a living breathing human being who that is forced to carry a child against their will.

Well it is a fact that a 12 week foetus cannot survive on its own.

So that's how we're defining human life now, whether it can survive on it's own or not?

Again, respiration - if someone needs a respirator machine to breathe, are they not human?
    If someone has no insight or personality due to mental disorders, are they not human?

This could not be more of a strawman if you tried...
    A choice to abort, yes.
    Stop trying to hide behind terms like 'pro-choice'. It's not pro-choice of whether to get your haircut today or tomorrow, it's pro-choice of having the choice to terminate a pregnancy.

It's pro-choice when it allows the woman to decide what's best for her. You see, pro-choice does not really mind whether or not a woman continues with a pregnancy, as long as she's healthy because that's what choice is. If it were pro-abortion, there would be people out trying to force abortions. The pro-choice is about allowing the woman to choose. What would you call it?

No, your rebuttals are whats weak. Of course they're still human. You are equating the value of a mentally ill person to that of a 12 week old fetus. This simply isn't the case.
    Living people (regardless of their physical/mental condition) are more important than potential people. Its really that simple.

You asked when it becomes human, I said when it develops human traits. Its not rocket science.

Would you be happy for your wife or daughter to die for the sake of a less than 12 week old pregnancy? If not, why are you asking other people to do it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

it's pro-choice of having the option to terminate a pregnancy. Nothing else.

Well done.

I thought it was a referendum on choice of toothpaste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

........ it's pro-choice of having the option to terminate a pregnancy. Nothing else.

And do you not trust a woman along with her chosen doctor to make the right choice ?

A choice to abort, yes.
    Stop trying to hide behind terms like 'pro-choice'. It's not pro-choice of whether to get your haircut today or tomorrow, it's pro-choice of having the option to terminate a pregnancy. Nothing else.

You just contradicted yourself there. A choice to abort, yes. Not a forced abortion. Or a coerced abortion. A voluntary one, should she want it.

gctest50 wrote: »
    And do you not trust a woman along with her chosen doctor to make the right choice ?

Not when it comes to taking what I consider a human life, no.

• Advertisement

Not when it comes to taking what I consider a human life, no.

Not everyone agrees. I don't believe pre 12 weeks constitutes to taking a life, at least not in the way you believe it to be.
    Why should I live my life restricted by your morals and principles? Why are your opinions and feelings superior to mine?

Percy Judd wrote:
    So that's how we're defining human life now, whether it can survive on it's own or not?
    When it's depending on another human being for life yes.

Why do you think a foetus trumps the life of the woman?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Zerbini Blewitt

Another example of pro-life denying the reality of their stance:-

Niamh Smyth TD, FF on The Tonight Show last Thursday while defending keeping the 8th – in a reply to Matt Cooper said “I’m not saying that the women’s choice should be taken from them at <stopped mid-sentence>”.

People are entitled to their views regardless of their inability to back them up with reason or to engage at even the most rudimentary level of discussion.

But if one supports keeping the 8th then that is denying choice to women.

Is she embarrassed that she supports denying choice so her innovative solution to this is just to lie and say “I’m not denying choice”.

Imagine having to debase & degrade oneself like that on live television.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

I grew up in England and have seen the change in attitude between here and there that having abortion freely available causes.

having abortion freely available causes.

Any source for that ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

No it doesn't. It shows how careless English women are about not using contraception and getting pregnant knowing they can easily abort if they decide to have unprotected sex and become pregnant.

"Easily" abort.

Easily!!!! There's nothing easy about abortion

The emotion aside, Its not like taking a couple of headaches pills. Even a medical abortion is not easy, it's varies from feeling like an extremely bad period to labour like pains over the course of time.

Have you ever had an extremely bad period? There's nothing easy about it.

And then there's the actual expelling passing of the embryo/blood/clots.

The bleeding can last from days (over a week) to months.

There is nothing easy about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Experience_day

JDD wrote: »
    No. I was very careful with that. Every time I mentioned child in my post, it was in reference to a born child. I knew someone would jump on that, so I was very careful. It wasn't gymnastics, it was an accurate description of my beliefs.

Okay, humour me so. At what point would you consider it a child? Just in your opinion, when exactly do your foetus become a child? When exactly did it in your eyes gain the status of being "protected"? Not generalities, the specific of when you personally believe the foetus becomes a child?

id like to second the excellent suggestion of banning pro-life opinion from the site tbh

particularly the content/compassion free "go back to the start everyone owes me an explanation" type like our man percy

Okay, humour me so. At what point would you consider it a child? Just in your opinion, when exactly do your foetus become a child? When exactly did it in your eyes gain the status of being "protected"? Not generalities, the specific of when you personally believe the foetus becomes a child?

a few possible answers

- a long way after 12 weeks
    - once it passes a threshold of viability
    - once it is born
    - none of your business

all correct for the purpose of the discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Experience_day

a few possible answers

- a long way after 12 weeks
    - once it passes a threshold of viability
    - once it is born
    - none of your business

all correct for the purpose of the discussion

Don't remember asking your opinion....also if you're going to debate at least take part. Throwing stupid answers like that doesn't help any discourse.

youre on a message board toots man up

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement