Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 8th amendment(Mod warning in op)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Consonata

AnGaelach wrote: »
    Do you honestly believe if it wasn't for the ECHR that we'd have homosexuality as a crime today?

I point you to the simple matter of something like Divorce, which is treated as a no-brainer in modern society.

It was only legalized in this country in 1995

And take a look at the margin...

d7b2abc53ab346c2a60a95a394df59fb.png

With a margin of 9000 people only deciding that Divorce is fine in 1995 do you honestly want me to believe that they would have thought Homosexuality was fine? :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭AnGaelach

Consonata wrote: »
    I point you to the simple matter of something like Divorce, which is treated as a no-brainer in modern society.

With a margin of 9000 people only deciding that Divorce is fine in 1995 do you honestly want me to believe that they would have thought Homosexuality was fine? :pac::pac::pac::pac:

Proof of something passing in 1995 is proof that something else would still be criminalised in 2017? :confused::confused:

Proof of something passing in 1995 is proof that something else would still be criminalised in 2017? :confused::confused:

Yes? Do you think social change just "happens". A populous who was only coming to terms with divorce in 95' isn't going to become okay with homosexuality just like that.

I don't think you really understand how insular Ireland was as a country before we joined International institutions like the ECHR, EU et al. The church had a massive grip over the country, plus social norms were dictated by the Vatican and the local parish priest, not what was seen as socially normal globally. We didn't encounter people of different cultures and traditions, and suffered as a result.

ECHR + EU with the funding that they brought, and the human rights that they brought, modernised our country majorly.

Yes? Do you think social change just "happens". A populous who was only coming to terms with divorce in 95' isn't going to become okay with homosexuality just like that.

And do you think 20 years isn't a long enough time for homosexuality to become decriminalised? This has just become nonsensical back and forth. The poster stated homosexuality would still be a crime today if it hadn't been for the ECHR which is neither a logical assumption or backed by any fact. It's simple conjecture.

And do you think 20 years isn't a long enough time for homosexuality to become decriminalised? This has just become nonsensical back and forth. The poster stated homosexuality would still be a crime today if it hadn't been for the ECHR which is neither a logical assumption or backed by any fact. It's simple conjecture.

Again you disregard the fact that we only came to terms with divorce by less than half a percent in 1995.

Have you any evidence to show that there was going to be a massive epiphany between then and now that we suddenly would think "yeah, sodomy is ok" in rural catholic Ireland w/o freedom of movement, free trade, investment, and the ECHR?

Again you disregard the fact that we only came to terms with divorce by less than half a percent in 1995.

Have you any evidence to show that there was going to be a massive epiphany between then and now that we suddenly would think "yeah, sodomy is ok" in rural catholic Ireland w/o freedom of movement, free trade, investment, and the ECHR?

Divorce passed.

The onus of proof is on the person who made the claim (that homosexuality would be a crime today), not the person calling it conjecture.

Divorce passed.

The onus of proof is on the person who made the claim (that homosexuality would be a crime today), not the person calling it conjecture.

By. less. than. half. a. percent.

Are you intentionally being dense now? I don't think you are quite getting that a population who is only just about ok with Divorce, isn't going to magically become ok with Sodomy. You are looking at Ireland through the lens of somebody who has seen it within the EU, yet refusing to look at the history of what sort of a country we were before it. (not a very good one)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Divorce passed.

This is the weirdest argument. Of course it's conjecture, that's what the word "would" tells you. It's very plausible conjecture though, for the reasons the poster has given.

Proving something that didn't happen, would have done in different circumstances - it"s just funny that you've spent so long over it. What proof would you accept - a certificate from a crystal-ball gazer?

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

If you think about it yes it is a perfectly logical assumption. If Ireland was not a member of the Council of Europe/European Convention on Human Rights/European Court of Human Rights then our legislative system would not have had such an international or human rights influence and the Norris Supreme Court judgement would still be a huge influence on our legislature. I do think there is a perfectly logical assumption there.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Divorce passed.

Barely. If the referendum had happened later it would have passed easily. People change, attitudes change. Imagine suggesting divorce should be illegal or homosexuality should be a crime today, you'd be laughed out of it. The same for abortion. The results of the CA show the attitude to abortion is changing too. They were normal members of the public. Abortion will be a reality in Ireland, it's just a matter of time and a government brave enough to put it to a referendum.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Barely. If the referendum had happened later it would have passed easily. People change, attitudes change. Imagine suggesting divorce should be illegal or homosexuality should be a crime today, you'd be laughed out of it. The same for abortion. The results of the CA show the attitude to abortion is changing too. They were normal members of the public. Abortion will be a reality in Ireland, it's just a matter of time and a government brave enough to put it to a referendum.

Sometimes I think it's a bit of a chicken and egg situation though. Is it more acceptable now because it exists (legal divorce/gay male sex) or does it exist because it's more acceptable? That is where we are at with abortion really. Once it becomes legal it will become much more socially acceptable.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Sometimes I think it's a bit of a chicken and egg situation though. Is it more acceptable now because it exists or does it exist because it's more acceptable?

Pretty much. You don't have a shower by starting with your toe, then your foot, then your lower leg, at a snails pace. Thats not how social change (usually) happens. It happens leaps that may be intially unpopular, but gain popularity through normalization.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭kevincool

I think the Government should have refused to have let the ECHR interfere with our Constitution or public policy. We're the ones who define what our rights are, it's a power given to us by Bunreacht na hÉireann.

Then ireland should be out of EU to have no one's interference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

kevincool wrote: »

Just to clarify again, the ECHR is not associated with the EU and we voluntarily signed up for it, for good reason.

kevincool wrote: »

EU ≠ ECHR

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

avonmore-logo.png

3cd06aa4-78b7-4280-982c-4d295c847333.png

For some reason the Repeal the 8th logo reminds me of Avonmore milk?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/fianna-fil-delegates-reject-calls-to-change-the-constitution-on-abortion-36227113.html

I see those Fianna Fail gombeens voted against repealing the 8th amendment.

A second motion from the party’s London branch – backing a “woman’s right to choose” was also heavily defeated.

They sly feckers are trying to cement the anti-abortion and religious groups as they continue to recover after destroying the country.
    There is talk McQuaid will be exhumed to remind people of their duties and that women are 2nd class citiziens in the eyes of the church.

Sure they might as well have the referendum. Ireland won't vote to repeal the eighth. All these people shouting and screaming to repeal are the loud minority, Ireland will not (in my opinion) vote to repeal.

In my opinion abortion should be legal only in limited circumstances..... for medical reasons and other limited circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,854 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Sure they might as well have the referendum. Ireland won't vote to repeal the eighth. All these people shouting and screaming to repeal are the loud minority, Ireland will not (in my opinion) vote to repeal.

In my opinion abortion should be legal only in limited circumstances..... for medical reasons and other limited circumstances.

The only thing I know is I'm often amazed at the people who are pro-life. Both male and female.
    If the marriage referendum achieved over 70% I'd be a lot more confident. It will take the urban areas for it to be repealed unless it's just an an appeal for very limited circumstances.

The only thing I know is I'm often amazed at the people who are pro-life. Both male and female.
    If the marriage referendum achieved over 70% I'd be a lot more confident. It will take the urban areas for it to be repealed unless it's just an an appeal for very limited circumstances.

Yeah I think new laws are needed in certain circumstances where the mothers life is in danger or where the pregnancy is because of rape/incest.

I do think the majority of voters would be against abortion being made available freely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Yeah I think new laws are needed in certain circumstances where the mothers life is in danger or where the pregnancy is because of rape/incest.

I think a lot of no voters are against the repeal are concerned that abortion would be used as some sort of emergency contraception.

I think that's not true. No one would make the decision to have an abortion lightly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I do think the majority of voters would be against abortion being made available freely.

I agree with you in the case of mothers life being at risk or from a result of rape, but abortion in every other instance? Nope- plenty of birth control out there for men and women if you don't want a kid, try using it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I agree with you in the case of mothers life being at risk or from a result of rape, but abortion in every other instance? Nope- plenty of birth control out there for men and women if you don't want a kid, try using it.

1.) How could there be a law allowing for abortion specifically in rape cases? Think about the timelines for a pregnancy vs. a rape prosecution.

2.) Contraception fails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

I agree with you in the case of mothers life being at risk or from a result of rape, but abortion in every other instance?

Would I have to prove the rape or just make a rape allegation?

Sounds like a solution fraught with difficulty.

• Advertisement

Phoebas wrote: »
    Would I have to prove the rape or just make a rape allegation?

Sounds like a solution fraught with difficulty.

It would have to be proved I guess, but in this day and age if you don't want a kid, then use contraception, it really is that simple. This isn't 1930s Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

It would have to be proved I guess, but in this day and age if you don't want a kid, then use contraception, it really is that simple. This isn't 1930s Ireland.

What about fatal foetal abnormality?

This is the kind of attitude that will see the repeal bid fail. Calling people who disagree with you 'gombeens' isn't going to win you a single vote.

Then it is literally impossible - there is not enough time for a rape to be proved to have happened, no-where near enough time.

And again, contraception can and does fail.

I've got to wonder why you would suggest a solution that isn't at all practical .

The idea of delaying a termination until a rape prosecution made its way through the judicial system should be abhorrent to anyone who takes a pro life position.

• Advertisement

B0jangles wrote: »
    Then it is literally impossible - there is not enough time for a rape to be proved to have happened, no-where near enough time.

And again, contraception can and does fail.

Yes it can but that's the minority. If you don't want a child that is formed because of failing contraception, no need to kill the child. You have options like adoption etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,011 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I like Leo's take on it. The unborn should not have equal rights as the mother but should not be without rights.

My take on it, that whatever compromise will be reached, both sides will not be happy, that is because both sides do not represent the Irish people, they represent their own interest groups and are the extremes.

The Pro-Life crowd are zealots. The Pro-choice crowd are zealots. The majority of Irish people are not zealots.

So abortion will be legalised in some respects (upsetting the pro-life zealots) but there will be no on-demand abortion (upsetting the pro-choice zealots)

Yes it can but that's the minority. If you don't want a child that is formed because of failing contraception, no need to kill the child. You have options like adoption etc.

Leaving aside the failed contraception issue, what about your other acceptable scenario - the situation where the pregnancy is the result of rape? If you accept that it is impossible for a rape trial and conviction to take place within the time necessary, how do you suggest pregnant rape victims who want an abortion should be treated?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

One thing is for certain, in the run up to next year's referendum, the campaigning by the pro-life and pro-choice sides will be intense, dirty and divisive.

It'll make the run up to the same sex referendum look like nothing in comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,011 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

JupiterKid wrote: »
    One thing is for certain, in the run up to next year's referendum, the campaigning by the pro-life and pro-choice sides will be intense, dirty and divisive.

It'll make the run up to the same sex referendum look like nothing in comparison.

True, I just don't want to hear the rhetoric that if you are not 100% pro-choice than you hate women, expect to hear a lot of that nonsense.
    Alternatively you may also hear that any abortion is murder stuff as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Pro life =|woman haters
    Pro choice = baby killers

No room for in between

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Adoption is a solution to an unwanted child, not an unwanted pregnancy, and that's not to even get into the fact that it is no woman's responsibility to go through an uncomfortable at best and dangerous at worst pregnancy for another person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

markodaly wrote: »

The Pro-Life crowd are zealots. The Pro-choice crowd are zealots. The majority of Irish people are not zealots.

So abortion will be legalised in some respects (upsetting the pro-life zealots) but there will be no on-demand abortion (upsetting the pro-choice zealots)

I have to wonder at the person who thinks objecting to the killing of perfectly formed human beings is zealotry!
    Maybe they should have aborted you as well:)
    I wasn't planned but the impact I've had in the world has been huge ( at least for those I've been in contact with). A lot of lives would be a lot poorer in my absence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Forcing a woman/ young girl to carry out a pregnancy is not fair.

* Miscarriages are very common.
    * Severe morning sickness is debilitating.
    * Foetal abnormalities do happen.
    * Haemorraghes do happen.
    * Still births do happen.
    (I work in a hospital)

Women risk their lives in pregnancy and then you want them to just give the baby away?

Adoption is not the easy answer. There are many children in care today. Anonymous once they were born.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/fianna-fil-delegates-reject-calls-to-change-the-constitution-on-abortion-36227113.html

A second motion from the party’s London branch – backing a “woman’s right to choose” was also heavily defeated.

They sly feckers are trying to cement the anti-abortion and religious groups as they continue to recover after destroying the country.
    There is talk McQuaid will be exhumed to remind people of their duties and that women are 2nd class citiziens in the eyes of the church.

It seems you and your ilk have learned to sum of sweet **** all from both Trump winning the Presidency and the Brexit vote.

If you, and the Pro-Choice crowd, continue insulting those who disagree with you, and more importantly those on the fence, you are cast iron-guaranteeing to lose any referendum on this topic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

is there any chance at all that I could just go away and return when this crap has been finished?

This debate really brings out the worst in people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    is there any chance at all that I could just go away and return when this crap has been finished?

Let's just have the ****ing referendum in the next two months and be ****ing done with it.

Sick of both sides at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Contraception is not 100% effective.

People who are married cannot give their offspring up for adoption unless they declare themselves unfit to parent, this can affect offspring already being raised or future offspring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-tatranska thread banned. Reason-personal abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,575 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

People forget that the 8th was only passed by a margin of 2 to 1 even though this was 1983, when the catholic church's influence was still at its height and only 4 years after the mass hysteria of the pope's visit.

At that time, the only experience most people had of abortion was their local priest telling them how evil it was.

In Dublin it was only passed by the narrowest of margins, 51% to 49%.

Many of the people who voted Yes in 1983 will have since died.

It was almost unthinkable even ten years ago for a woman to 'come out' and publicly state she had an abortion, many people in the public eye have done just this in the last few years and there is very little controversy about it. More and more people accept that the idea of forced pregnancy and forced birth is abhorrent, the fact that we voted in 1992 to allow information and travel for abortion is proof that the Irish people are willing to allow women to make their own choices. What the women of Ireland need now is the ability to make their own choice without having to leave the country. The 8th amendment does not 'save lives', all it does is cause greater stress, expense and delay (so the abortion is later) to women who have abortions.

The so-called 'pro life' lobby are small, most of them are part of a few extended and intermarried families of extreme catholics, but they are extremely extremely vocal out of all proportion to their numbers and the media and especially broadcasters pander to them. 40,000 people marched for choice a couple of weeks ago but RTE gave nearly as much airtime to FIVE anti-choicers.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

40,000 people marched for choice a couple of weeks ago but RTE gave nearly as much airtime to FIVE anti-choicers.

Expect a lot more of this in the referendum campaign.

If 50,000 people say repeal, and 5 say no - Equal time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

People forget that the 8th was only passed by a margin of 2 to 1 even though this was 1983, when the catholic church's influence was still at its height and only 4 years after the mass hysteria of the pope's visit.

At that time, the only experience most people had of abortion was their local priest telling them how evil it was.

In Dublin it was only passed by the narrowest of margins, 51% to 49%.

Many of the people who voted Yes in 1983 will have since died.

It was almost unthinkable even ten years ago for a woman to 'come out' and publicly state she had an abortion, many people in the public eye have done just this in the last few years and there is very little controversy about it. More and more people accept that the idea of forced pregnancy and forced birth is abhorrent, the fact that we voted in 1992 to allow information and travel for abortion is proof that the Irish people are willing to allow women to make their own choices. What the women of Ireland need now is the ability to make their own choice without having to leave the country. The 8th amendment does not 'save lives', all it does is cause greater stress, expense and delay (so the abortion is later) to women who have abortions.

The so-called 'pro life' lobby are small, most of them are part of a few extended and intermarried families of extreme catholics, but they are extremely extremely vocal out of all proportion to their numbers and the media and especially broadcasters pander to them. 40,000 people marched for choice a couple of weeks ago but RTE gave nearly as much airtime to FIVE anti-choicers.

Do you seriously think no life has been saved because of it? Really :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

It seems you and your ilk have learned to sum of sweet **** all from both Trump winning the Presidency and the Brexit vote.

If you, and the Pro-Choice crowd, continue insulting those who disagree with you, and more importantly those on the fence, you are cast iron-guaranteeing to lose any referendum on this topic.
    You've got to love how this shit isn't called out on by the "I wouldn't have voted against Repeal if its supporters weren't so shrill!" crowd:
    I have to wonder at the person who thinks objecting to the killing of perfectly formed human beings is zealotry!
    I wasn't planned but the impact I've had in the world has been huge ( at least for those I've been in contact with). A lot of lives would be a lot poorer in my absence

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Do you seriously think no life has been saved because of it? Really :rolleyes:

Lives have been lost because of the 8th. Not saved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement