Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 8th amendment(Mod warning in op)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 121 ✭✭Da Boss

eviltwin wrote: »
    I had an abortion. Do I deserve to be in prison?.

All murderers should serve their time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

January wrote: »
    I did too. Do I deserve to be in prison?

I’m pro life and I don’t think any woman who has an abortion deserves to be in prison.
    The abortionist is the criminal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Da Boss wrote: »

So why do you think not a single identifiable pro-life person (I don't count anonymous internet posters) is prepared to say anything like this in public?

Do you think it is because they don't agree with you that it is murder, or because they do but they feel that they can't be honest about the true extent of their beliefs because it would lose them public support?

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

splinter65 wrote: »
    I’m pro life and I don’t think any woman who has an abortion deserves to be in prison.

A woman who takes abortion pills ordered online?

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

If one disagrees that a 12 week old foetus is a human life

and this is a matter of opinion

and the majority of people seem not to agree with you in Ireland in 2017

then what are you getting out of adding more and more emotional pronouns to your opinions?

You haven't posted a fact yet. If you even admitted that you had nothing but strong opinions it would at least be a start.

Your strong opinions, by the way, will be utterly irrelevant the day after women get control over their own reproductive health in Ireland. You won't even have a forum like this to get your self-righteous kicks from

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Isn't it odd how you are the only person to say that?

And that's why I can't take the pro life argument seriously. I don't agree with Da Boss but at least he is consistent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Meat is murder according to some

Do you eat pig ?

- they're about the same intelligence as a 2 year old child maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Quote: eviltwin

Quote: January

No, such emotive accusations are wrong of course.
    People kill legally all the time worldwide, war, self defence, police in serving justice, even death sentences etc etc.
    That doesent mean though that someone hasn't been killed, an innocent in many cases, I would view abortion in this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

What about me? I gave a friend of my GF in college many years ago the money to procure an abortion in England!

What sentence should I get?

Also, should someone who had an abortion after being raped get a longer sentence than her rapist?

• Advertisement

And that's why I can't take the pro life argument seriously. I don't agree with Da Boss but at least he is consistent.

It really is the most cowardly dodge isn't it?

They'd have us believe they think women are just too stupid to know what they're doing when they seek out an abortion, or that evil abortionists grab them in off the street. I wonder is the idea that women generally are too silly to know the difference between right and wrong, or do they imagine pregnancy frazzles our brains?

TBH I suspect they're lying about what they really believe, and they would be perfectly happy with a Nicaraguan-style regime where women are imprisoned even for unexplained miscarriages, never mind actual abortion, but they daren't expose the depth of their extremism because they know very few people in Ireland still think like that these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Edward M wrote: »
    Quote: eviltwin

Quote: January

No, such emotive accusations are wrong of course.
    People kill legally all the time worldwide, war, self defence, police in serving justice, even death sentences etc etc.
    That doesent mean though that someone hasn't been killed, an innocent in many cases, I would view abortion in this way.

No brain stem, no person.

Brain stem formed 15-18 weeks gestation typically.

Thought we needed a bit of science over the fluffy nonsense.

volchitsa wrote: »

No. The maker of , the distributor of, the sender of, the abortion pills.
    I have the deepest sympathy for anyone, man or woman who is going to take tablets, unsupervised by a medical professional, designed to cause her to bleed profusely.

No. The maker of , the distributor of, the sender of, the abortion pills.
    I have the deepest sympathy for anyone, man or woman who is going to take tablets, unsupervised by a medical professional, designed to cause her to bleed profusely.

Hence the 8th needs to be repealed

But the proposals include the decriminalisation of abortion pills.
    Are you happy to take pills at home that will cause you to bleed profusely from an orifice, are you happy to give them to your child?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Worse than the Hawe case for example?

But it's not murder and has never been considered murder here.

Not even under the 1861 Act. So some people here have attitudes which even in the 19th century were considered abhorrent.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Are you happy to take pills at home that will cause you to bleed profusely from an orifice, are you happy to give them to your child?

I’ve got piles currently...

Why would you give them to a child :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Give them to my child so they did not have to go through with a pregnancy? Every day, and twice on Sunday. If they sold them on Costco I would buy a big pack of them just in case.

That is really stupid question. Let me give you an example to show why... would you rather give your child pills that will make her bleed from every orifice or let her remain pregnant with their rapist's child that will likely physically damage or kill her because she is only 9 and her body is too small? See. I can do silly appeals to emotion too.

MrP

Did you miss that biology class? It happens every month.

• Advertisement

frag420 wrote: »
    I’ve got piles currently...

Yes piles. Just the very same thing as inducing an abortion at home with pills you bought on the Internet.
    No difference whatsoever.
    No risk being taken. Safe as houses. Like all abortions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yes piles. Just the very same thing as inducing an abortion at home with pills you bought on the Internet.
    So you agree then. Abortion pills should be provided under the supervision of a qualified medical professional, and women should not be forced to resort to buying them online.

Great. Thanks for clearing that up.

Did you miss that biology class? It happens every month.

It happens every month. Naturally, as a consequence of my body’s own biology.
    The product of a uterus that has been growing a baby for 3 months bears no resemblance to the shedding of a uterine lining that is not needed after 21 days.
    You can try to convince yourself that it does, but it doesn’t.
    Anyone who has had a 12 week miscarriage will vouch for that.
    So, not the same thing at all as a chemically induced abortion.
    People in favor of abortion work so hard to convince themselves that it’s all very simple and straightforward and clean and tidy, and nobody, but nobody, mother or baby suffers or gets hurt in any way.
    Inducing a chemical abortion at home is a great step forward for the health of women and children .
    Sure.

seamus wrote: »
    So you agree then. Abortion pills should be provided under the supervision of a qualified medical professional, and women should not be forced to resort to buying them online.

Great. Thanks for clearing that up.
    Yes because they’re not going to buy them cheaply on the internet once
    they’re decriminalised..

A scientist, and there was me thinking all pregnancies were immaculate conceptions.

A life has been formed though, a human life at that.
    I think that is a person, that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

MrPudding wrote: »
    Give them to my child so they did not have to go through with a pregnancy? Every day, and twice on Sunday. If they sold them on Costco I would buy a big pack of them just in case.

That is really stupid question. Let me give you an example to show why... would you rather give your child pills that will make her bleed from every orifice or let her remain pregnant with their rapist's child that will likely physically damage or kill her because she is only 9 and her body is too small? See. I can do silly appeals to emotion too.

MrP

So your only in favor of abortion in the cases of rape and incest?
    Or are you just throwing it in there for the purposes of silly appeal to emotion, knowing that rape and incest is a reason given for abortion in such a minuscule tiny almost nonexistent percentage of abortions?
    Interesting that you would by a stack of abortion pills from Costco for your child (? are we in the States or Ireland), in preference over reliable safe contraception coupled with safe sex practices.
    I suppose there’s no point in campaigning for and fighting for the equipment if your not going to use it when it gets here.

Here's science for you BTW.
    http://www.ehd.org/dev_article_unit4.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

because you cannot argue against what has been said. you know abortion on demand is wrong. i know it is wrong. everyone knows it is wrong. refusing to debate me won't change that fact.

Let's just get one thing straight here, don't dare put words in my mouth. I have made my position more than clear on a number of threads now, but I now see I was flogging a dead horse by even replying to you at all.

I believe in a woman making a choice for herself. I believe it's between her and her doctor. I trust my fellow female citizens to make the right choice for their circumstances. I don't believe a woman should go through the trauma of an unwanted pregnancy. I don't believe a child should be brought into the world unwanted, into a life of neglect and abuse.
    I believe that when it is YOU who is pregnant, EOTR, or your partner, then you can push all your notions about the unborn into the mix and make your own mind up. But until then it has nothing to do with you.

And to clarify, the reason I refuse to engage with you is not because I think you are right (???), it is because you are full of contractions and NIMBYisms, you just rant your opinion over and over again as if it's fact despite several intelligent posters pointing out flaws in your logic over the course of severel threads.
    It is of course your CHOICE to post in that style and I won't take that choice away from you, but I will refuse to reply to your posts because I don't wish to engage with someone with such dedicated disregard for other people's viewpoints.

So your only in favor of abortion in the cases of rape and incest?
    Or are you just throwing it in there for the purposes of silly appeal to emotion, knowing that rape and incest is a reason given for abortion in such a minuscule tiny almost nonexistent percentage of abortions?
    Interesting that you would by a stack of abortion pills from Costco for your child (? are we in the States or Ireland), in preference over reliable safe contraception coupled with safe sex practices.
    I suppose there’s no point in campaigning for and fighting for the equipment if your not going to use it when it gets here.

I think your missed the whole point of his post, tbh.

• Advertisement

Yes because they’re not going to buy them cheaply on the internet once
    they’re decriminalised..
    So you buy all your medication online then? After all, if you can get "decriminalized" medication cheaply online, why go to a doctor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

The product of a uterus that has been growing a baby for 3 months bears no resemblance to the shedding of a uterine lining that is not needed after 21 days.
    People in favor of abortion work so hard to convince themselves that it’s all very simple and straightforward and clean and tidy, and nobody, but nobody, mother or baby suffers or gets hurt in any way.
    Inducing a chemical abortion at home is a great step forward for the health of women and children .
    Sure.

I had an abortion at 10 weeks using pills. It was no worse than a period. A bit more painful (not as bad as contractions but similar pattern) but the amount of blood wasn't much bigger than a normal period for me.

Sure.

People who are in favour of abortion generally want to stop the practice of women taking medication without professional supervision. It's the current situation that drives women to take risks.

No one ever said abortion was clean and tidy btw, like most aspects of reproduction it's messy but far less messy than you might think.

January wrote: »
    I had an abortion at 10 weeks using pills. It was no worse than a period. A bit more painful (not as bad as contractions but similar pattern) but the amount of blood wasn't much bigger than a normal period for me.

I'm sure you had very good reason for your decision and are happy that you did what you felt was the right thing, and I applaud you for your honesty on here.
    Can I just say, I give my opinions for my stance on this issue, I hold no judgement over those who hold a different opinion than mine.
    If you feel you did no wrong then to hell with other opinions or derogatory comments that might be made about your situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

You can’t face the facts , that’s your problem, unable to admit you condone MURDER , The KILLINGS of defenseless unborn . The 8th amendment is about so much more than woman’s freedom, it’s about SAVING LIVES OF THOUSANDS, legalized abortion cos cause more loss of life than English colonization ever did on this island

are you going to adopt these thousands of saved babies?

are you going to adopt these thousands of saved babies?

Sure why would he do that? He's pro birth, not pro life. He doesn't give a sh*t what kind of life these children are born into, so long as they're born.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I'm sure you had very good reason for your decision and are happy that you did what you felt was the right thing, and I applaud you for your honesty on here.
    Can I just say, I give my opinions for my stance on this issue, I hold no judgement over those who hold a different opinion than mine.
    If you feel you did no wrong then to hell with other opinions or derogatory comments that might be made about your situation.

Thank you.

I did what I felt was right for me and my family at the time. I stand by that decision and have no regrets about it.

seamus wrote: »
    So you buy all your medication online then? After all, if you can get "decriminalized" medication cheaply online, why go to a doctor?

If it’s so easy, risk free, straight forward and commonplace, then why on earth bother with the expense and inconvenience of the doctor at all?
    All that queueing and prescription writing, into the chemist queueing again all to bring on what amounts to no more then a regular monthly period which, let’s face it, 50% of the population deal with 12 times a year for 30 years.
    I don’t need a doctors appointment for my period every month, there’s no need for one to get the abortion pill.
    Are you the poster who longed for them to be available in Costco?
    If they’re to be over the counter then they’ll be cheaper in bulk online.
    Fire ahead.

No not at all which is why it should be repealed so medical professionals can prescribe these and monitor the patients

Sure.
    So, one of the problems the Oireachtas Committee identified was that Irish women were resorting to abortions using pills later than is considered ideal in other countries, precisely because abortion is illegal and therefore carried out without proper medical supervision, as well as often being later than would be the case if the woman had been able to go to her GP or a clinic.

I see in the IT today there's an article about abortion law in France, where medical abortion is available until the 8th week, and only surgical abortion after that until the 12th week : https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/abortion-battles-rage-on-in-france-despite-liberal-regime-1.3327713

Since they are having these abortions anyway, the question really is whether the principle is so important that we are prepared to see Irish women put their health at unnecessary risk, or whether we accept that women are having abortions, aided and abetted by our own law, but not in optimally as conditions.

It's not as though we're actually trying to stop them, after all.

Basically, all those posters who don't want to see women jailed for having abortions, are you prepared nevertheless to see some of them injured and possibly dying as an alternative punishment? I think a spell in jail would be preferable to dying, don't you?

If it’s so easy, risk free, straight forward and commonplace, then why on earth bother with the expense and inconvenience of the doctor at all?
    I know, right? Get your amoxicillin, your steroids and your warfarin online. Why not?

You have no real argument here. You don't have the slightest clue what you're actually discussing.

Criminalisation forces women to explore dangerous methods of procuring abortions.
    "They don't have to get abortions" is a convenient answer for someone who has zero social awareness and probably zero empathy.

The only two options are "force women to take dangerous measures" or "allow them to attend a doctor and get it done safely". There is no third possibility of "no abortions" unless your plan is to start locking women up as soon as they become pregnant.

• Advertisement

So, one of the problems the Oireachtas Committee identified was that Irish women were resorting to abortions using pills later than is considered ideal in other countries, precisely because abortion is illegal and therefore carried out without proper medical supervision, as well as often being later than would be the case if the woman had been able to go to her GP or a clinic.

I see in the IT today there's an article about abortion law in France, where medical abortion is available until the 8th week, and only surgical abortion after that until the 12th week : https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/abortion-battles-rage-on-in-france-despite-liberal-regime-1.3327713

Since they are having these abortions anyway, the question really is whether the principle is so important that we are prepared to see Irish women put their health at unnecessary risk, or whether we accept that women are having abortions, aided and abetted by our own law, but not in optimally as conditions.

It's not as though we're actually trying to stop them, after all.

Basically, all those posters who don't want to see women jailed for having abortions, are you prepared nevertheless to see some of them injured and possibly dying as an alternative punishment? I think a spell in jail would be preferable to dying, don't you?

That's been talked through long before now, no one wants to see anyone die here AFAIK.
    There are extreme views on either side, some accuse abortionists of murder, some accuse pro lifers of causing death to women who die in childbirth or medical conditions during pregnancy.
    I don't see that either should have to happen or a law be put in place that can cause either to happen. The current law needs changing, no doubt on that, but not so extremely as to have unlimited abortion.
    There is a middle ground, perhaps it will turn out to be the most popular choice, but not if its not given a chance by not even being considered for a vote.

That's been talked through long before now, no one wants to see anyone die here AFAIK.
    There are extreme views on either side, some accuse abortionists of murder, some accuse pro lifers of causing death to women who die in childbirth or medical conditions during pregnancy.
    I don't see that either should have to happen or a law be put in place that can cause either to happen. The current law needs changing, no doubt on that, but not so extremely as to have unlimited abortion.
    There is a middle ground, perhaps it will turn out to be the most popular choice, but not if its not given a chance by not even being considered for a vote.

Abortion, by choice and done in consultation with medical professionals, is the middle ground.

Abortion, by choice and done in consultation with medical professionals, is the middle ground.

A great many agree with you. I don't, but like you I haven't the final say, we are going to be in for a long and emotive debate that will cause many harsh comments and accusations on both sides of the debate.
    I will rest from it now for a while, no point in it really until we see exactly what we are to be offered.
    Happy and peaceful xmas to all.
    https://amp.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/big-split-in-fine-gael-on-abortion-as-varadkar-to-study-report-over-break-36426735.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

technically she is importing illegal drugs so should be done for that. illegal drugs are illegal drugs after all, and one doesn't know what is within them.
    It really is the most cowardly dodge isn't it?

They'd have us believe they think women are just too stupid to know what they're doing when they seek out an abortion, or that evil abortionists grab them in off the street. I wonder is the idea that women generally are too silly to know the difference between right and wrong, or do they imagine pregnancy frazzles our brains?

TBH I suspect they're lying about what they really believe, and they would be perfectly happy with a Nicaraguan-style regime where women are imprisoned even for unexplained miscarriages, never mind actual abortion, but they daren't expose the depth of their extremism because they know very few people in Ireland still think like that these days.

if we go on this thread, it's a couple of individuals who are pro-abortion who are the extremists. engaging in personal attacks, twisting what people say, telling those who disagree with them what they think when they don't think it.
    those of us who are against abortion on demand on the other hand, debate in a civil manner as while we know this is an imotive debate, we know that abuse and attacks, twisting and the rest, are not going to work in getting our point across.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Let's just get one thing straight here, don't dare put words in my mouth. I have made my position more than clear on a number of threads now, but I now see I was flogging a dead horse by even replying to you at all.

i didn't put words in your mouth. i understand this is an imotive topic, but you need to give up the personal attacks and lies about people. none of us on the pro-life side have done it to you and we expect the same treatment back.
    I believe in a woman making a choice for herself. I believe it's between her and her doctor. I trust my fellow female citizens to make the right choice for their circumstances. I don't believe a woman should go through the trauma of an unwanted pregnancy. I don't believe a child should be brought into the world unwanted, into a life of neglect and abuse.
    I believe that when it is YOU who is pregnant, EOTR, or your partner, then you can push all your notions about the unborn into the mix and make your own mind up. But until then it has nothing to do with you.

it has everything to do with me as.
    1. i'm going to be asked to vote on repealing the 8th, so it has been made my business.
    2. society has a duty to protect life, and when a woman engages in an abortion, that is effecting another life. i believe the state is right to not allow the practice within it bar extreme circumstances.
    i also believe in a woman being able to make a choice for herself. however when it effects the right to life then that choice needs to be curtailed, just like in any case where someone's choices effect others right to life.
    And to clarify, the reason I refuse to engage with you is not because I think you are right (???), it is because you are full of contractions and NIMBYisms, you just rant your opinion over and over again as if it's fact despite several intelligent posters pointing out flaws in your logic over the course of severel threads.

this has never happened, and as i said the personal attacks and lies needs to stop.
    It is of course your CHOICE to post in that style and I won't take that choice away from you, but I will refuse to reply to your posts because I don't wish to engage with someone with such dedicated disregard for other people's viewpoints.

you won't engage because you know deep down that what i have said is right and the truth. that is why people engage in personal attacks toards those of us on the pro-life side, because deep down we all know that killing the unborn is wrong.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭uptherebels

technically she is importing illegal drugs so should be done for that. illegal drugs are illegal drugs after all, and one doesn't know what is within them.

if we go on this thread, it's a couple of individuals who are pro-abortion who are the extremists. engaging in personal attacks, twisting what people say, telling those who disagree with them what they think when they don't think it.
    those of us who are against abortion on demand on the other hand, debate in a civil manner as while we know this is an imotive debate, we know that abuse and attacks, twisting and the rest, are not going to work in getting our point across.

you don't debate though. You make people on the other side feel like their beating their heads against a wall so they give up. Then you pat yourself on the back telling yourself you have won the debate.
    People asking you to answer questions you repeatedly dodge, not just in this thread but in many others is not a personal attack.
    People pointing out that you are a nimby after you have yourself admitted to being one, is not a personal attack.
    Liking comments from other anti choicers where they have willfully misinterpreted medical reports to try and add some sort weight to your argument, other than will someone think of the children, where you nor they have seem to have read the actual report.... what was that about twisting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

That headline is missing a crucial qualifier: 'Big spilt in FG over abortion - according to Peter Fitzpatrick.'

i didn't put words in your mouth. i understand this is an imotive topic, but you need to give up the personal attacks and lies about people. none of us on the pro-life side have done it to you and we expect the same treatment back.

it has everything to do with me as.
    1. i'm going to be asked to vote on repealing the 8th, so it has been made my business.
    2. society has a duty to protect life, and when a woman engages in an abortion, that is effecting another life. i believe the state is right to not allow the practice within it bar extreme circumstances.
    i also believe in a woman being able to make a choice for herself. however when it effects the right to life then that choice needs to be curtailed, just like in any case where someone's choices effect others right to life.

this has never happened, and as i said the personal attacks and lies needs to stop.

you won't engage because you know deep down that what i have said is right and the truth. that is why people engage in personal attacks toards those of us on the pro-life side, because deep down we all know that killing the unborn is wrong.

No personal attacks from the "pro birth and couldn't give two sh**es after that" side????

You seriously need to rethink that. It's ALL you do.

I went to a woman's clinic in Liverpool (not for anything pregnancy related) but had to run a gauntlet of placards, protesters and regular calls of "fcking baby killing bitch".

I saw pregnant woman and girls traumatised by the abuse theywere subjected to. It was abhorrent.

So don't come here with the idea thst you're nothing more than a pink "love both" umbrella and happy thoughts.

I've seen the actual reality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

doesnt seem to stop them posting on boards

doesnt seem to stop them posting on boards

boards isn't going to be a pro-abortion echo chamber.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement