Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 8th amendment(Mod warning in op)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

Da Boss wrote: »
    I would do all I could within reason. Obviously I couldn’t be forceful about it but would be extremely disappointed should they make the wrong discion.

Within reason? Such as?

When you say wrong decision, in accordance with who, you or your 12 yr old pregnant sister?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I would do all I could within reason. Obviously I couldn’t be forceful about it but would be extremely disappointed should they make the wrong discion.

If a 12 year old were going to drop a baby headfirst out of a second or third floor window, could you not be "forceful" about stopping them? I would. Without hesitation.

And I'd be a lot more than "extremely disappointed" if I didn't manage to stop them.

So what's the difference? I mean, I see one, but I'm not going round calling women who terminate pregnancies murderers. You're the one doing that.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Well I’ll tell you my side of the story. As you know everyone only has one life on this earth therefore life is sacred. An abortion ends a life and the one chance that baby had of a life is gone. That baby will never have a life, this as a result of an abortion (which I personally consider a selfish oact). This is all personal to me as I was informed I would have me aborted should the law have allowed. Therefore the eight amendment saved my life, the life I currently enjoy that only for the eighth I wouldn’t never have seen. Surely you see where I’m coming from and why the eighth is so important to me
    I would be most totally against it and explain exactly why. In my case I know my mother sister would be of the same opinion as me but say they weren’t I would be against any such thing and would make my stance more than clear to them

But... these two statements contradict each other - if your mother sister (unsure if this is one person or two tbh) is of the same opinion as you than why would they have aborted you??

It's not going to be compulsory you know. Your mother would have had a choice, in fact she did have an 'Irish solution' choice - to travel or not to travel. Perhaps she couldn't afford it of perhaps she chose not to...

Do you know who didn't have a choice? Those women forced into the laundries and those children born into hell holes like Tuam and left to die.

Do you know who else didn't have a choice? Those women denied medical treatment because of the 8th - where was their right to life?

Keeping the 8th doesn't prevent abortions. It prevents women and girls being able to access safe abortions with full medical aftercare at a reasonable cost in their own country.

All the 8th does is force desperate women and girls into desperate measures - debt, buying pills on line, wirehangers.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

This is a very, very, very pointless debate. The issue of whether a foetus counts as a human life is such a deeply held belief either way that attempting to change peoples' minds about it is totally pointless IMO. This referendum will come down to whether more people believe that it does count as a human life, or more people believe that it doesn't. I don't personally believe that there are enough undecideds or open-to-persuasion folks to make any tangible difference on the referendum result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

January wrote: »
    There's absolutely no point. You're so staunchly anti choice that nobody could change your mind no matter what they say. I've told you my story, you don't believe me bringing a child into a world of poverty and pushing my already born children into poverty was reason enough for me to have an abortion in my own country without feeling like a criminal. You don't believe the 8th affects the care of pregnant and birthing people.

You won't change your mind so there's no point.

Don't forget he thinks you should be labelled a murderer and go to prison.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 121 ✭✭Da Boss

pilly wrote: »
    If that's true then your mother did a disgusting thing by telling you that and you will never have a rational view on this.

I'm not sure it's true to be honest though because that is a level of cruelty that I don't believe most women to be capable of.

She could in my eyes at least do a more disgusting thing,-have an abortion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    But... these two statements contradict each other - if your mother sister (unsure if this is one person or two tbh) is of the same opinion as you than why would they have aborted you??

It's not going to be compulsory you know. Your mother would have had a choice, in fact she did have an 'Irish solution' choice - to travel or not to travel. Perhaps she couldn't afford it of perhaps she chose not to...

Do you know who didn't have a choice? Those women forced into the laundries and those children born into hell holes like Tuam and left to die.

Do you know who else didn't have a choice? Those women denied medical treatment because of the 8th - where was their right to life?

Keeping the 8th doesn't prevent abortions. It prevents women and girls being able to access safe abortions with full medical aftercare at a reasonable cost in their own country.

All the 8th does is force desperate women and girls into desperate measures - debt, buying pills on line, wirehangers.....

Indeed however and having seen me alive my mother was shocked as to how she contemplated having an abortion, when she planned having one she’d never thought of the child she was killing, just of herself ( no different to many in this forum) however she is now staunchly anti abortion after seeing me and the shock that she unbeknownst to herself at the time almost denied me my life

If your mother considered abortion as an (unobtainable) solution to an unplanned pregnancy, she must be pro choice?

Any chance she's using the "you would have been aborted" line as an anti choice argument? Wouldn't be the first time I've heard it (in regards to myself, and my mother too for that matter!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Not often commented on, but I think the reason that Hillary Clinton lost the American Presidential election was her stance on abortion.

• Advertisement

If your mother considered abortion as an (unobtainable) solution to an unplanned pregnancy, she must be pro choice?

Any chance she's using the "you would have been aborted" line as an anti choice argument? Wouldn't be the first time I've heard it (in regards to myself, and my mother too for that matter!)

I explained the circumstances there above in relation to me mother , read it there that will answer what u asked I think

I explained the circumstances there above in relation to me mother , read it there that will answer what u asked I think

It does. We were writing at the same time, it appears.

Tell me, since you think all life is sacred - do you think it's murder if a clinically brain dead person is no longer being fed via tube and effectively allowed starve to death?
    Do you think we need a clause in the Constitution to protect their right to life?

Are you a pacifist?
    Are you disgusted that American military personnel are allowed, in uniform, to avail of facilities in Ireland while on route to potentially take a life?

Where do you stand on self-defence? If someone was seriously likely to kill you and the only way to stop them was end their life - would you??

Indeed however and having seen me alive my mother was shocked as to how she contemplated having an abortion, when she planned having one she’d never thought of the child she was killing, just of herself ( no different to many in this forum) however she is now staunchly anti abortion after seeing me and the shock that she unbeknownst to herself at the time almost denied me my life

So does your mother think it would have been fair enough to send her to a psychiatric ward, as happened to a pregnant child recently?

After all, she gave up fairly easily apparently - but what if the pregnancy had been far more distressing to her and she had remained determined not to give birth? Or like Ms Y, who was threatened with incarceration and with force feeding iirc.

I don't believe any woman in her right mind could condone that sort of treatment to a young woman or a child.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

Many here are saying they won’t engage with me as I’m
    So anti abortion. Since there so pro choice should I resist engaging with them too??

volchitsa wrote: »
    So does your mother think it would have been fair enough to send her to a psychiatric ward, as happened to a pregnant child recently?

After all, she gave up fairly easily apparently - but what if the pregnancy had been far more distressing to her and she had remained determined not to give birth? Or like Ms Y, who was threatened with incarceration and with force feeding iirc.

I don't believe any woman in her right mind could condone that sort of treatment to a young woman or a child.

Well I understand it may be a stressful time for a woman,pregnancy that is, but one cannot relieve the stress by ending the life of the child. That is not a acceptable option, that cannot be condoned

Changed it, happy now?

frag420 wrote: »
    Within reason? Such as?

When you say wrong decision, in accordance with who, you or your 12 yr old pregnant sister?

Da Boss, you have a habit of skipping the tough questions so again I have to call you out to answer them...come on, man up!!

• Advertisement

So anti abortion. Since there so anti life should I resist engaging with them too??

Anti-life - is that the latest spin? I am very much in favour of life as it happens -particularly the lives of the already born.

Ah now. I am not the only one who has asked you very valid questions, I have been polite, I have engaged with you, and now it very much appears as if you are running away from debate...

Here's a thought - have you considered asking Pro-Choice people why they are pro-choice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

So anti abortion. Since there so pro choice should I resist engaging with them too??

Is that a threat or a promise?

Da Boss, you have a habit of skipping the tough questions so again I have to call you out to answer them...come on, man up!!

Wrong descion for everyone,the 12 year old made a morally unacceptable descion which ended the life of another

Anti-life - is that the latest spin? I am very much in favour of life as it happens -particularly the lives of the already born.

Ah now. I am not the only one who has asked you very valid questions, I have been polite, I have engaged with you, and now it very much appears as if you are running away from debate...

Here's a thought - have you considered asking Pro-Choice people why they are pro-choice?

Indeed I have, and not one if they had mentioned in any way the unborn child

Does that mean if she hadn't seen you she would be pro-choice?? :confused:

Again I repeat - abortion would not be compulsory.

Your mother contemplated. She made a decision not to. She is glad she, personally, made that decision.

That is not the case for everyone. Some people regret having children. It;s not all sunshine and lollipops you know. For some people a pregnancy means dire poverty. Continued health problems that seriously impact on their quality of life - and ability to provide care for others. Death.

Women have died.
    Where was their right to life???

Well I understand it may be a stressful time for a woman,pregnancy that is, but one cannot relieve the stress by ending the life of the child. That is not a acceptable option, that cannot be condoned

That's an opinion, nothing more. And doesn't actually answer the question.

Ah well.

• Advertisement

Indeed I have, and not one if they had mentioned in any way the unborn child

Child?
    Do think an embryo with no brain function is a child?
    I would say it is a potential child.

Since you are probably going to say yes - care to answer my question about the brain dead person's life support being turned off? Is that, in your opinion, murder?

Does that mean if she hadn't seen you she would be pro-choice?? :confused:

Again I repeat - abortion would not be compulsory.

Your mother contemplated. She made a decision not to. She is glad she, personally, made that decision.

That is not the case for everyone. Some people regret having children. It;s not all sunshine and lollipops you know. For some people a pregnancy means dire poverty. Continued health problems that seriously impact on their quality of life - and ability to provide care for others. Death.

Women have died.
    Where was their right to life???
    yes however if the eighth wasn’t in place my mother would have had an abortion and ended a life,intentionally ending a life is unacceptable in any circumstances! My mother realized her mistake and it’s a mistake she ensuring others don’t make. Many people don’t think of the life there denying by having an abortion that’s the issue

Wrong descion for everyone,the 12 year old made a morally unacceptable descion which ended the life of another

Any chance of a reply to this?
    If a 12 year old were going to drop a baby headfirst out of a second or third floor window, could you not be "forceful" about stopping them? I would. Without hesitation.

And I'd be a lot more than "extremely disappointed" if I didn't manage to stop them.

So what's the difference? I mean, I see one, but I'm not going round calling women who terminate pregnancies murderers. You're the one doing that.

I would be most totally against it and explain exactly why. In my case I know my mother sister would be of the same opinion as me but say they weren’t I would be against any such thing and would make my stance more than clear to them
    Yeah we get that, what i am asking you is what would you do to stop them traveling for an abortion? What would you do to save the potential babies life?

If all you are going to do is make your stance clear then again I shall call you out as weak and ball-less as you don't really give a crap about the potential life you claim to want to save!!

So I ask you again, what would you do to stop them travelling for an abortion?
    Within reason? Such as?

Again you have chickened out of answering the question so I again will ask you...

Apart from telling them you are disappointed in them, what would you do to save the life of the unborn in this instance??

What would you do that is within reason so save the life of the unborn in this instance?

and do you think a 12 yr old is mature enough to look after a child let alone go through 9 months of pregnancy?

We shall assume that if you skip this again that you are even more ball-less and weaker than we thought previously!

And just so you know, much like EOTR I am discussing this in private via PM with some people on your side who know how to have a proper discussion and like EOTR they are frankly embarrassed by you and your pathetic arguments!

Any chance of a reply to this?

Off the point irrelevant

• Advertisement

yes however if the eighth wasn’t in place my mother would have had an abortion and ended a life,intentionally ending a life is unacceptable in any circumstances! My mother realized her mistake and it’s a mistake she ensuring others don’t make. Many people don’t think of the life there denying by having an abortion that’s the issue

My abortion wasn't a mistake :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,253 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

buying pills and using wire hangers are absolutely a concern, but the rest is just a case of you want it so pay for it. i certainly agree the after care should be availible due to the high risks after the abortion but if people want an abortion due to lifestyle or other non-extreme reasons then them getting into debt and having to go abroad is their problem ultimately, and it's not the state's job to provide abortion on demand, especially free ones.
    Tell me, since you think all life is sacred - do you think it's murder if a clinically brain dead person is no longer being fed via tube and effectively allowed starve to death?

given that they are being allowed to suffer in the name of ending their life i would say it is at least cruelty, even a crime against humanity. they should be given an injection that would allow them to go quickly. done that way, then it wouldn't be an issue. but slowly starving someone to death is wrong in my view and we need to remove that and bann it.
    Are you disgusted that American military personnel are allowed, in uniform, to avail of facilities in Ireland while on route to potentially take a life?

i am yes . it's putting my country at greater risk of a terrorist attack.
    Where do you stand on self-defence? If someone was seriously likely to kill you and the only way to stop them was end their life - would you??

i would only use reasonable force.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

Again you have chickened out of answering the question so I again will ask you...

Apart from telling them you are disappointed in them, what would you do to save the life of the unborn in this instance??

What would you do that is within reason so save the life of the unborn in this instance?

and do you think a 12 yr old is mature enough to look after a child let alone go through 9 months of pregnancy?

We shall assume that if you skip this again that you are even more ball-less and weaker than we thought previously!

And just so you know, much like EOTR I am discussing this in private via PM with some people on your side who know how to have a proper discussion and like EOTR they are frankly embarrassed by you and your pathetic arguments!
    No pro choice people have any time for listening so why should I bother explaining. It’s my opinion that abortion is killing of defenseless unborn so for that reason I’m against abortion as I believe it constitutes killing, simple as that
    U

Your mother made a choice. A choice you seek to deny others.

Brain dead person is alive.
    Is deliberately ending that life unacceptable?

eviltwin wrote: »
    My abortion wasn't a mistake :)

How u know? U killed a child. If you hadn’t made ur mistake Ud probably have a child to love right now and Ud
    agree with me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

People aren't engaging with you because you're not extending the same courtesy to them. You're being deliberately belligerent and won't (or can't) engage in good faith with them.

Which is pretty much what I predicted you'd continue to do the last time I responded to you.

Your mother made a choice. A choice you seek to deny others.

Brain dead person is alive.
    Is deliberately ending that life unacceptable?

My mother couldn’t make a choice, that’s the point I’m making. That meant she’d to carry me and she’s happy she done so having realized she’d otherwise have being a murderer. Regards brain dead people your again off topic

How u know? U killed a child. If you hadn’t made ur mistake Ud probably have a child to love right now and Ud
    agree with me

I didn't make a mistake. I know my own mind. I made my choice under careful consideration and I knew it was the right one. I have never felt any regret and if I could go back and make a different choice I wouldn't.

FYI my abortion was at nine weeks, it wasnt a child.

Off the point irrelevant

So you call a woman who has had an abortion a murderer, but you won't tell us why it would not be right to physically prevent a child from killing another child.

Looks like physical cowardice to me. You're up for calling people names, well, anonymous ones behind a screen anyway, but you wouldn't be prepared to act to save a baby's life.

NuMarvel wrote: »
    People aren't engaging with you because you're not extending the same courtesy to them. You're being deliberately belligerent and won't (or can't) engage in good faith with them.

Which is pretty much what I predicted you'd continue to do the last time I responded to you.

Seriously, out of interest, how is it I’m not engaging with good faith?

• Advertisement

My mother couldn’t make a choice, that’s the point I’m making. That meant she’d to carry me and she’s happy she done so having realized she’d otherwise have being a murderer. Regards brain dead people your again off topic

Should she have been force fed if necessary? Like Ms Y was threatened? Or the child we learned was put in a mental hospital last summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Presenting scenarios that clearly show a fetus isn't analogous to a life = off topic :pac:

No pro choice people have any time for listening so why should I bother explaining. It’s my opinion that abortion is killing of defenseless unborn so for that reason I’m against abortion as I believe it constitutes killing, simple as that
    U

I'm listening thats why I have asked you several times!?

So again what would you do to stop your 12 yr old sister from going abroad to get an abortion?

Surely the unborn deserve to know what you are willing to do to save them from abortion?

Man up!!

buying pills and using wire hangers are absolutely a concern, but the rest is just a case of you want it so pay for it. i certainly agree the after care should be availible due to the high risks after the abortion but if people want an abortion due to lifestyle or other non-extreme reasons then them getting into debt and having to go abroad is their problem ultimately, and it's not the state's job to provide abortion on demand, especially free ones.

Wire hangers are a reality. We need to either allow it to continue or remove the need.

'Lifestyle' - much bandied about during the marriage equality campaign again but hard to define. What exactly do you mean by lifestyle? Do you think people should be routinely denied medical procedures due to lifestyle? Smokers? Drinkers? Cyclists? Participants in sports? Lovers of fast food?

Are you saying abortion should be illegal but the State should provide aftercare?:confused:

Why is it the State's job to provide medication to aid people with erectile dysfunction?
    Or lung cancer due to smoking?

This whole 'lifestyle' route you're taking is a very rocky road.

given that they are being allowed to suffer in the name of ending their life i would say it is at least cruelty, even a crime against humanity. they should be given an injection that would allow them to go quickly. done that way, then it wouldn't be an issue. but slowly starving someone to death is wrong in my view and we need to remove that and bann it.

Do you think we need this in the Constitution? Should people be prosecuted? Is it murder??

i am yes . it's putting my country at greater risk of a terrorist attack.

What are you doing about it?

i would only use reasonable force.
    But would you be prepared to kill your attacker if that was the only option that seemed open to you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

It is fairly clear that you have an unwavering viewpoint and that you will not change it under any circumstances.
    While it is admirable if genuine, it does make discussion with you somewhat pointless.
    If something is absolutely black and white and clearcut to a person, there is no point even trying to convince that person otherwise.
    Some posters just have to realize that some battles are pointless, it is the majority that has to be won and it will never happen that everyone agrees.

She did make a choice.

She decided not to travel.
    She decided not to give you up for adoption.
    She decided not to commit suicide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

eviltwin wrote: »
    I didn't make a mistake. I know my own mind. I made my choice under careful consideration and I knew it was the right one. I have never felt any regret and if I could go back and make a different choice I wouldn't.

FYI my abortion was at nine weeks, it wasnt a child.

Sounds like a coping mechanism.

Dehumanise then kill.

It's easier that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

So his mother was glad state forced her to carry to term and hence other women shouldn't have a choice because they don't 'really' know what they want and will inevitably love motherhood

• Advertisement

So his mother was glad state forced her to carry to term and hence other women shouldn't have a choice because they don't 'really' know what they want and will inevitably love motherhood

Funny none of these women ever seem to feel strongly enough about this to come out and say so themselves isn't it?

If she told her son, you'd think she'd want to let other women know at first hand.

They're the ones she'd need to influence, surely? Not her poor son who's clearly traumatized by the idea that he had such a narrow escape.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement