Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 8th amendment(Mod warning in op)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Isaac burke (a self-identified Christian anti-choicer) keeps appearing on my youtube ads. He is complaining his group has been bullied & silenced in NUI, Galway for 4 years :confused:

Is this the start of the flow of “keep the 8th money” from the US or maybe his parents are paying for this?

His parents, going on this
    http://www.rabble.ie/2014/03/04/irelands-phelps-family-and-nuig/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,021 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Has there been any word from government on what will replace the 8th Amendment?

Or are we just voting on whether to remove it or not?

There will be a Heads of Bill outlining the rules, such as twelve weeks, FFA and etc. I think.

But sure we know all that already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

There will be a Heads of Bill outlining the rules, such as twelve weeks, FFA and etc. I think.

But sure we know all that already.

But will those things be voted on, or will they need to be agreed before the repeal or not vote takes place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,976 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Has there been any word from government on what will replace the 8th Amendment?

Or are we just voting on whether to remove it or not?

This is the most significant news on that front since the committee report, buried in the middle of an IT article
    The Government will continue to prepare legislation along the lines of the committee recommendations, with the intention of publishing the heads of a Bill to allow abortion — which would include a summary of the Bill’s intentions – before any referendum. No other legislative proposals on abortion are being prepared.

Going by that, it will be, to paraphrase John Hume, abortion on demand (within 12 weeks) or nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,318 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

....... wrote: »
    Are you back with this nonsense plus added personal attacks now?

I was going to let your last effort go, but after seeing you of all people complain about anyone using personal attacks? You've done little else throughout this entire thread! :pac:

Like this for instance -

Again, for someone who claims to have so much mysterious experience with pregnant women you are sadly ignorant of the factual reality out there.

Where did I make any such claim first of all?

Secondly, whether you think I'm ignorant of what you call "the factual reality" (which is really just your opinion and therefore not in any way factual), is literally just that - your opinion, informed by your own bias, and that's why when you accuse me of this -

Right - so if you understand the facts - then stop minimising them.

I have to remind you yet again that you don't get to determine how I make my arguments, nor do you get to determine what perspective I make my arguments from, nor do you get to determine what I should and shouldn't consider relevant in the context of the 8th amendment, nor do you get to determine that I should have to make my arguments to suit your argument, nor do I nor anyone else have to answer any of your questions, nor do I nor anyone else have to justify themselves to you, nor do I nor anyone else even owe you the courtesy of taking you seriously.

In short, you have far more in common with the authoritarian egotists you despise, than you have anything in common with the people you claim to advocate for. You might want to examine your own attitude before you start complaining about the attitudes of others and how they're doing the pro-choice side any favours, because you sure as hell aren't.

• Advertisement

But will those things be voted on, or will they need to be agreed before the repeal or not vote takes place

Why are you asking me?

No the Bill will not be voted on by us individually. That is for the Oireachtas to vote on, on our behalf. Democracy rules.

If the referendum is carried, abortion will no longer be cast ironed in the Constitution, so will be legislated for, going forward and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Why are you asking me?

No the Bill will not be voted on by us individually. That is for the Oireachtas to vote on, on our behalf. Democracy rules.

If the referendum is carried, abortion will no longer be cast ironed in the Constitution, so will be legislated for, going forward and all that.

I was asking, because i don't know exactly what the current situation is...

I would of thought that gathering all the information is important before voting...

I'm all for abortion on demand(well all for people having the option of getting it done in Ireland), but i think the time limit is very important.

The government haven't confirmed anything yet, or if they did i have missed it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The reason I used the word potential with regards to the 8th amendment Joey is because of the many, many women who have been pregnant and who have given birth since the inception of the 8th amendment, a negligible amount of those women will have been negatively affected by it's existence. That's not downplaying it's negative effects, it's an acknowledgement that the negative effects are often over-stated by opponents to the 8th amendment.

In other words you are minimising the effects. As I said you are tying yourself up in knots to say "No I am not saying X". The truth is you are saying very clearly. You are repeatedly at every step minimising the negative effects and implications of the 8th amendment.

Dressing them up as "potential" suggests exist. They do. You really are tying yourself in so many nonsense knots here.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

In other words you are minimising the effects. As I said you are tying yourself up in knots to say "No I am not saying X". The truth is you are saying very clearly. You are repeatedly at every step minimising the negative effects and implications of the 8th amendment.

Dressing them up as "potential" suggests exist. They do. You really are tying yourself in so many nonsense knots here.

I'm not Joey, but if you choose to interpret anything I've said that way, then there's nothing I can do about that.

I was going to let your last effort go, but after seeing you of all people complain about anyone using personal attacks? You've done little else throughout this entire thread! :pac:

Like this for instance -

Where did I make any such claim first of all?

Secondly, whether you think I'm ignorant of what you call "the factual reality" (which is really just your opinion and therefore not in any way factual), is literally just that - your opinion, informed by your own bias, and that's why when you accuse me of this -

I have to remind you yet again that you don't get to determine how I make my arguments, nor do you get to determine what perspective I make my arguments from, nor do you get to determine what I should and shouldn't consider relevant in the context of the 8th amendment, nor do you get to determine that I should have to make my arguments to suit your argument, nor do I nor anyone else have to answer any of your questions, nor do I nor anyone else have to justify themselves to you, nor do I nor anyone else even owe you the courtesy of taking you seriously.

In short, you have far more in common with the authoritarian egotists you despise, than you have anything in common with the people you claim to advocate for. You might want to examine your own attitude before you start complaining about the attitudes of others and how they're doing the pro-choice side any favours, because you sure as hell aren't.

The truth is at every opportunity you can you are trying to completely minimise to the point of almost denial that the 8th amendment has many negative effects and implications on womens healthcare. I am not sure why you are getting upset when peoole highlight tgis.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

I'm not Joey, but if you choose to interpret anything I've said that way, then there's nothing I can do about that.

I do interpret it that way. It is very very clear for all to see.

Terry Pratchet

I would of thought that gathering all the information is important before voting...

I'm all for abortion on demand(well all for people having the option of getting it done in Ireland), but i think the time limit is very important.

I agree with you in many ways. The referendum on the 8th has been proposed without any information as to what the legislature may propose instead.

But that may be a way of just getting the amendment repealed, and then the legislature will decide on the rules in time.

I think the legislative proposals will be published before the referendum though. I think Vlad said that somewhere.

I doubt very much this referendum will pass. There are anti choice forces out there who have not gone beyond first gear yet. But we shall see.

I don't mind either way as long as it is not hijacked by either pro or anti choice zealots.

There is a middle ground who will make their own minds up.

The truth is at every opportunity you can you are trying to completely minimise to the point of almost denial that the 8th amendment has many negative effects and implications on womens healthcare. I am not sure why you are getting upset when peoole highlight tgis.

I'm not upset at all by anything that anyone has said here. I'd have to have lived a fairly sheltered life for that to happen, and I've heard far worse offline from people who weren't complete strangers.

I do interpret it that way. It is very very clear for all to see.

Perhaps it's because I don't agree with some of the posters here that pregnancy is solely just a women's healthcare issue, or a women's medical care issue, or however they choose to frame it, and in doing so attempt to minimise the fact that pregnancy isn't just solely a women's healthcare or women's medical care or women's issue. It's very much like the way the 8th amendment is a Constitutional issue, and that's why it's not only pregnant women who get to vote on whether it is repealed or not.

Even at that, I wouldn't be too certain that were it only pregnant women were allowed to vote on the issue, that they would vote the way some posters here would want them to vote.

I'm not at all minimising the negative effects of the 8th amendment, I'm weighing the negative effects of it's existence against the potential negative effects of it's removal. I am therefore acknowledging the negative effects, but for me they do not outweigh the potential negative effects of it's removal.

I hope that makes my position clearer, as I'm certain I can't be any clearer, and if you still think I'm minimising the negative effects of the 8th amendment, then you're only looking at one side of the story and minimising the potential negative effects of the removal of the 8th amendment in order to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Perhaps it's because I don't agree with some of the posters here that pregnancy is solely just a women's healthcare issue, or a women's medical care issue, or however they choose to frame it, and in doing so attempt to minimise the fact that pregnancy isn't just solely a women's healthcare or women's medical care or women's issue. It's very much like the way the 8th amendment is a Constitutional issue, and that's why it's not only pregnant women who get to vote on whether it is repealed or not.

Even at that, I wouldn't be too certain that were it only pregnant women were allowed to vote on the issue, that they would vote the way some posters here would want them to vote.

I'm not at all minimising the negative effects of the 8th amendment, I'm weighing the negative effects of it's existence against the potential negative effects of it's removal. I am therefore acknowledging the negative effects, but for me they do not outweigh the potential negative effects of it's removal.

I hope that makes my position clearer, as I'm certain I can't be any clearer, and if you still think I'm minimising the negative effects of the 8th amendment, then you're only looking at one side of the story and minimising the potential negative effects of the removal of the 8th amendment in order to do so.

This reads to me that essentially you believe that those already born, breathing, living, women who are impacted - in some cases dying - because of the 8th are merely collateral damage in some ethical battle to 'save' potential living, breathing, people.
    Any women (or girl) who is 'of child bearing age' in Ireland could be the next victim but that is a necessary step...

That is awful. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭uptherebels

The reason I used the word potential with regards to the 8th amendment Joey is because of the many, many women who have been pregnant and who have given birth since the inception of the 8th amendment, a negligible amount of those women will have been negatively affected by it's existence. That's not downplaying it's negative effects, it's an acknowledgement that the negative effects are often over-stated by opponents to the 8th amendment.

Again you have any evidence to support this claim? As you have been shown that the 8th affects more pregnant women than just those who want an abortion.
    Your very good at making claims and portraying them as fact but very poor at actually providing any evidence of such claims.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    This reads to me that essentially you believe that those already born, breathing, living, women who are impacted - in some cases dying - because of the 8th are merely collateral damage in some ethical battle to 'save' potential living, breathing, people.
    Any women (or girl) who is 'of child bearing age' in Ireland could be the next victim but that is a necessary step...

That is awful. :(

Must you really read malicious intent into everything I write?

Can you not possibly imagine that for most people they would be terribly conflicted by an issue that for them is incredibly complex and isn't just a matter of looking at an issue only from one perspective?

The people you're arguing with are also born, living, breathing human beings who are also impacted by the decisions of others, who themselves are born, living, breathing human beings, and not the caricatured, devoid of any human empathy, monsters or people who haven't the intellectual capacity to have thought about this issue, that you and others seem so fond of painting them out to be, simply because they don't see the world the same way you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Isaac burke (a self-identified Christian anti-choicer) keeps appearing on my youtube ads. He is complaining his group has been bullied & silenced in NUI, Galway for 4 years :confused:

Is this the start of the flow of “keep the 8th money” from the US or maybe his parents are paying for this?

The Burkes of Mayo. They set up the Campaign for Conscience to campaign against civil partnership, and Mandate for Marriage to campaign against the marriage equality. So presumably their anti-repeal group will alliterate with the letter A.

Most famous for: the mother and one of the sons calling Liveline at the same time to complain about the marriage equality referendum and pretending they didn't know each other!

Nothing's been confirmed yet. It'll be next month at the earliest before they announce what change to the constitution we'll be voting on, and probably March at the earliest before they announce what legislation they're proposing should we vote to change the constitution.

However, we have a reasonably good idea of what's expected based on the report released last month by the Oireachtas Committee.

But this is minimising.

Oh what are the negative effects
    Oh they are small compared to having no 8th amendment.

As I said earlier you are minimising while at the same time tying yourself up in numerous knots saying you are not minimising. Quite bizarre really.

Terry Pratchet

Again you have any evidence to support this claim? As you have been shown that the 8th affects more pregnant women than just those who want an abortion.
    Your very good at making claims and portraying them as fact but very poor at actually providing any evidence of such claims.

I've never denied that the 8th amendment affects more than just pregnant women who want an abortion. It affects every single person living in this country, including those yet to be born. I have claimed that the number of women who have been negatively affected by the 8th amendment is negligible in terms of the number of women who have been pregnant and have given birth in this country since the inception of the 8th amendment. I would never claim anything as fact as that's solely my opinion, so if you interpreted what I said as claiming it was fact, you really shouldn't have.

• Advertisement

I've never denied that the 8th amendment affects more than just pregnant women who want an abortion. It affects every single person living in this country, including those yet to be born. I have claimed that the number of women who have been negatively affected by the 8th amendment is negligible in terms of the number of women who have been pregnant and have given birth in this country since the inception of the 8th amendment. I would never claim anything as fact as that's solely my opinion, so if you interpreted what I said as claiming it was fact, you really shouldn't have.
    Exactly. You are minimising the negative effects of the 8th.

Terry Pratchet

Must you really read malicious intent into everything I write?

Can you not possibly imagine that for most people they would be terribly conflicted by an issue that for them is incredibly complex and isn't just a matter of looking at an issue only from one perspective?

The people you're arguing with are also born, living, breathing human beings who are also impacted by the decisions of others, who themselves are born, living, breathing human beings, and not the caricatured, devoid of any human empathy, monsters or people who haven't the intellectual capacity to have thought about this issue, that you and others seem so fond of painting them out to be, simply because they don't see the world the same way you do.

Step away from the drama.

You have said, several times, that you are aware that the 8th has had a negative impact on some women's health and well-being but that, for you, that is outweighed by the benefits of having the 8th in place.

You may not like how others interpret your statements but I am not the only one who thinks this is how you feel.

A vote to retain the 8th in it's current form is a vote to retain the current situation.

It is a vote which says that some women will die but that is a necessary 'evil' in order to protect the unborn. What is that if not an acceptable amount of collateral damage for a perceived 'greater good'?

You may not like it put that bluntly but the reality is there is nothing complex or nuanced about that. It is what has been happening for over 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

Since up to now we have turned a blind eye to the thousands of women who go to Britain or elsewhere to terminate, I often wonder at the lack of extremism in those countries that provide the service in Europe (many of whom are Catholic) about the issue.

I often wonder if the same level of debate applied when abortion was introduced in Italy/Spain say for example, or was it democracy in action or something.

Never hear a peep now about any country in Europe that provides abortion apart from Malta and Ireland.

What is the reason for the acceptance everywhere else do you think?

It could be linked to emigration. Both Malta and Ireland have had high rates of emigration traditionally until relatively recently, usually of young people.

An older society is likely to be more socially conservative - look at how Poland has gone in recent years, coinciding with several years of high emigration.

Malta has only recently legalised divorce, although, like Ireland, there seems to have been a major shift in attitudes towards gay people and Malta is now one of the few jurisdictions in the world where same-sex marriage is legally available.

I don't know if there's going to be any interest in the upcoming Irish referendum in Malta, although if it does decide to move towards liberalising it's abortion laws, it's likely that the debate will be conducted on similar lines to the Irish debate.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38235264

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

A vote to retain the 8th in it's current form is a vote to retain the current situation.

It is a vote which says that some women will die but that is a necessary 'evil' in order to protect the unborn. What is that if not an acceptable amount of collateral damage for a perceived 'greater good'?

Promoting abortion on demand as being the result of repealing the 8th is also putting women's lives in danger, by making it less likely to pass.

thee glitz wrote: »
    Promoting abortion on demand as being the result of repealing the 8th is also putting women's lives in danger, by making it less likely to pass.

Lovely soundbite and all but where is your proof of that?

In other words, the 8th puts women's lives at risk. By jove, I think we've finally hit common ground!

Doesn't affect me as I can't get pregnant😉

You can't say something as being definite and then say it's only your opinion, consequently there is no way to interpret it as anything other than as an unstubstantiated statement of fact.

Even if it is only your opinion surely there is some evidence that you used to form that opinion? Not like anti choices to make it up as they go along!

How? You keep saying that and saying I'm tying myself up in knots and I've tried to understand where you think I'm minimising the negative effects of the 8th amendment, or tying myself up in knots, but all you seem to be focussed on is what in your opinion are the negative effects of the 8th amendment.

Obviously I don't see it the same way you do, but that's because I'm not solely focused on what you see as the negative effects of the 8th amendment. One of the negative effects of the 8th amendment is that of course that some women have been subjected to horrific and inhumane treatment. That need not necessarily have happened, and it shouldn't have happened, but from my perspective, I would put that down to the medical staff rather than the 8th amendment.

Couldn't find ice in the National Maternity Hospital and had to send doctors across the road to the pub? There's just no words for that like, even if the circumstances of that case hadn't been what they were, to say that there couldn't be ice to be found in a hospital is just incredible!

I mean, look at this list of utter failures, that could have applied in any circumstances concerning a pregnant woman in the National Maternity Hospital -

He said the Thawleys were never told the operation would be carried out by a junior doctor, that he would not be supervised during the operation and that there would not even be a consultant in the hospital while the operation was carried out.

The court heard a blood sample had been taken from Mrs Thawley but was not cross-matched to check her blood type because this was not done at the hospital at weekends, meaning her blood type was not known and a supply of blood for her was not readily available. 

Mrs Thawley's Body Mass Index had not been measured, which would have shown that she was very lean and this would have had an effect on the operation.

There was a delay in contacting the consultant when it became clear there was a problem. He was not fully informed of what had happened and there was a delay while he tried to find the source of the bleeding.

There was also a delay when Mrs Thawley's blood pressure dropped as staff investigated whether there was a problem with the armband on her. There was a further delay in contacting a vascular team from St Vincent's Hospital, the court heard. 

The court was told that when a decision was taken to try to cool her brain, two doctors had to be sent to a local pub to fetch ice.

There are no words for that sort of incompetence that would have gone under the radar had the outcome of this case not been what it was.

Step away from the drama.

You have said, several times, that you are aware that the 8th has had a negative impact on some women's health and well-being but that, for you, that is outweighed by the benefits of having the 8th in place.

You may not like how others interpret your statements but I am not the only one who thinks this is how you feel.

You may not like it put that bluntly but the reality is there is nothing complex or nuanced about that. It is what has been happening for over 30 years.

I'll say the same thing to you then - step away from the drama.

• Advertisement

I'll say the same thing to you then - step away from the drama.

Seriously?
    That's your response?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,256 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

no he isn't. this is a complete lie. re-read his posts.

because as said by me, there are many who disagree with abortion on demand, and on the grounds of it being likely that it would be legislated for, we wouldn't vote to repeal. if there is enough of us and the vote is caried then the problems still exist. however if there was no chance of abortion on demand being legislated for, there would have been huge support from the pro-life movement.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

no he isn't. this is a complete lie. re-read his posts.

I have read them. Stop making stuff up.

Terry Pratchet

because as said by me, there are many who disagree with abortion on demand, and on the grounds of it being likely that it would be legislated for, we wouldn't vote to repeal. if there is enough of us and the vote is caried then the problems still exist. however if there was no chance of abortion on demand being legislated for, there would have been huge support from the pro-life movement.

Bann asked glitz for proof. The unsupported opinion of another poster who then has to qualify his opinion with conditional conjunctions isn't proof. It's probably the exact opposite of proof.

Doesn't affect me as I can't get pregnant😉

It's in the Irish Constitution which acts as a guiding document for Irish society so of course you and everyone else and even those yet to be born are affected by it.

You can't say something as being definite and then say it's only your opinion, consequently there is no way to interpret it as anything other than as an unstubstantiated statement of fact.

I can, I just did, and I'll likely do it again. How you choose to interpret what I say is entirely up to you.

Even if it is only your opinion surely there is some evidence that you used to form that opinion? Not like anti choices to make it up as they go along!

I don't know why you refer to anti choicers as I've said I am neither pro-choice nor anti-choice as the labels mean nothing to me, but I formed that opinion given the number of pregnant women and women who have given birth since the inception of the 8th amendment, and the number of women who have been negatively affected by the existence of the 8th amendment, as a subset of those women.

I don't know why you refer to anti choicers as I've said I am neither pro-choice nor anti-choice as the labels mean nothing to me, but I formed that opinion given the number of pregnant women and women who have given birth since the inception of the 8th amendment, and the number of women who have been negatively affected by the existence of the 8th amendment, as a subset of those women.

aka the collateral damage.

• Advertisement

There's no real proof (necessary) except people saying that they would vote to repeal the 8th, but wouldn't if it meant abortion on demand.

NuMarvel wrote: »
    In other words, the 8th puts women's lives at risk. By jove, I think we've finally hit common ground!

Well there are abortions carried out already, but also compelling reasons to extend the grounds of availability. Some see far more good reasons than others (any reason?), but those common to many apparently shouldn't be addressed independently of others and all. How would you feel if Leo said that the legislation that would follow repealing the 8th would allow abortion on demand up to 26 weeks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,256 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Not like anti choices to make it up as they go along!

that's rich. we have had a couple of pro-choicers on here doing nothing but making up things about other individuals on this site.
    I have read them. Stop making stuff up.

you either haven't, or are twisting them to suit what you wanted them to say. whichever it is, your claim is inaccurate and i haven't made up anything
    Bann asked glitz for proof. The unsupported opinion of another poster who then has to qualify his opinion with conditional conjunctions isn't proof. It's probably the exact opposite of proof.

it is proof enough as it seems to be how quite a lot of pro-life people who i have spoken to feel about the issue.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

you either haven't, or are twisting them to suit what you wanted them to say. whichever it is, your claim is inaccurate and i haven't made up anything
    You are embarassing yourself now

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

You are embarassing yourself now

Now???

Seriously?
    That's your response?

As blithe and dismissive as your own, yes, that is my response.

I wouldn't have considered your first post a dramatic performance, but it was your reply to mine suggesting I was being dramatic when I responded to you in kind, that had me think if anyone is being dramatic here, it sure as hell ain't me. You're only getting back what you gave out in the first place, so if you're going to be dismissive, you shouldn't be surprised and should expect the same in return.

I've been civil even when you interpreted my posts with malicious intent, but my patience wears thin when you're constantly at it. I'm not upset by that, I'm not angry about it, I'm not stroppy about it, or any of the other many characteristics you might try and imply. I'm just tired. That's all. I'm tired and I'm wore out and I thought it wasn't too much to expect a bit of human decency and understanding goes both ways. I was wrong. Clearly you're under the impression that it only goes one way.

I don't see much point in us continuing this conversation then, and with that said, I'll bow out for now.

• Advertisement

There's no real proof (necessary) except people saying that they would vote to repeal the 8th, but wouldn't if it meant abortion on demand.

So you are admitting the 8th puts women's lives in danger and you want situation to continue unless the government dismisses the recommendations of the Citizen's Assembly and brings in a more restrictive regime than they proposed?

Once again we see a so called 'pro-lifer' using women's lives to further their agenda.

As blithe and dismissive as your own, yes, that is my response.

I wouldn't have considered your first post a dramatic performance, but it was your reply to mine suggesting I was being dramatic when I responded to you in kind, that had me think if anyone is being dramatic here, it sure as hell ain't me. You're only getting back what you gave out in the first place, so if you're going to be dismissive, you shouldn't be surprised and should expect the same in return.

I've been civil even when you interpreted my posts with malicious intent, but my patience wears thin when you're constantly at it. I'm not upset by that, I'm not angry about it, I'm not stroppy about it, or any of the other many characteristics you might try and imply. I'm just tired. That's all. I'm tired and I'm wore out and I thought it wasn't too much to expect a bit of human decency and understanding goes both ways. I was wrong. Clearly you're under the impression that it only goes one way.

I don't see much point in us continuing this conversation then, and with that said, I'll bow out for now.

So you have no actual response to the fact that a vote to retain the 8th essentially says dead women are collateral damage.

You prefer to make it all about you. It's not about you Jack. It's not about me. Neither of us will ever have a crises pregnancy.

This is about women's right to life and right to decide what happens their own bodies.

It's in the Irish Constitution which acts as a guiding document for Irish society so of course you and everyone else and even those yet to be born are affected by it.

I can, I just did, and I'll likely do it again. How you choose to interpret what I say is entirely up to you.

Please explain to me, how as a 30 year old male the 8th affects me.

So you know how many women were negatively affected by the 8th?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,349 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Loving how you keep ignoring the posts I write to you, put take pot shots at other posts I make to other people. Dodge much?
    the reality however is that the unborn even in it's first few weeks is above an ant, given that it will likely develop if not stopped, into a complex human person.

It is not above an ant in terms of sentience, brain power, experience and a developed brain however. To put one above the other you have to look at what one is, and what the other MIGHT be in the future. Hardly comparing like with like there are you.

Please explain to me, how as a 30 year old male the 8th affects me.

At a guess I expect he will say that it affected you when you were a fetus, because it gave you a right to life as an unborn.

Weirdly he also says women should have a right to terminate the pregnancy at ANY stage for ANY reason though. And he also claims that the fetus inside such a woman is something without right, because it gets these AFTER it is born and is given human rights.

If you can make sense of these contradictions, you are a better man than I.

I don't see much point in us continuing this conversation then

A move you often make. But if you decide to bow back in again I will repeat here a post you appear to have missed earlier:
    The 8th has a positive effect on her right to life before she's even born though?

I am still curious what your interest even is in a law that protects the right to life of the unborn given you have indicated to me in the past (assuming you were not just communicating poorly) that you believe a woman should be able to have a termination of her pregnancy at any stage, for any reason.

I am very interested to hear how one can hold the position that a woman should have the right to terminate the pregnancy at any stage for any reason........ while also holding to the position the unborn should have a right to life.

You have told us "that a woman should have full control over her own body at any stage in her pregnancy.".

Is that not at odds with a law that gives a right to life to the unborn?

You have also told us that "Before it's born, it's a foetus, inside a pregnant woman, who does not want to continue her pregnancy. After it's born, it's no longer a foetus, but an individual human being upon which we confer human rights."

Is there not a contradiction in saying we confer rights after birth, but having a law that gives it rights before birth? Which is it? It can not be both!

I genuinely would like to see the connection here, because at the moment it is like reading the posts of two totally different people posting under one single user name. Perhaps a simple re-wording of your points is all that is required for me to see the missing link, but right now things appear to by entirely contradictory.

Or maybe even better, because second voices can often be clearer than one.... if someone ELSE understands how this conflict is resolved and understands OEJs position here, could you adumbrate it in your own words for me. Maybe I will understand the same point better simply made by a different person in a different way?

that's rich. we have had a couple of pro-choicers on here doing nothing but making up things about other individuals on this site.

When people call you a nimby in relation to abortion it is because as you have said before that your support for the right to life is limited by geography.

So you are admitting the 8th puts women's lives in danger and you want situation to continue unless the government dismisses the recommendations of the Citizen's Assembly and brings in a more restrictive regime than they proposed?

Once again we see a so called 'pro-lifer' using women's lives to further their agenda.

Plus, a more restrictive regime would still put most women's lives at risk because it would only benefit a smaller number of women, meaning the remainder would continue to exposed to the risks of a general abortion ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

It says everything that some people are more concerned with the fate of individuals yet to be conceived than actual women and girls.

I don't care much for the CA - what's this thread called and why anyway? Apparently, they voted one way, but the proclaimed 'result' was something else due to the farcical way it was determined. I also don't buy your concern for women's lives being any greater than mine - would you accept the possibility of legislating for abortion on demand being kicked 10 years down the road if it meant an end to women dying due the 8th?

Plus, a more restrictive regime would still put most women's lives at risk because it would only benefit a smaller number of women, meaning the remainder would continue to exposed to the risks of a general abortion ban.

What risks, what are you comparing?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement