Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big power cut today?

Options
  • 22-04-2017 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭

There seems to have been a pretty big power cut around noon today in the north County. It lasted for around an hour. Blake's Cross, Donabate, Portrane and parts of Swords were off. Anecdotally I heard that Balbriggan and Malahide were also in the dark.

I heard no reports on the news and ESB power check app was clear when we got our broadband and 3/4G back.

I'm curious to ascertain how big the outage was and what caused it.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

There seems to have been a pretty big power cut around noon today in the north County. It lasted for around an hour. Blake's Cross, Donabate, Portrane and parts of Swords were off. Anecdotally I heard that Balbriggan and Malahide were also in the dark.

I heard no reports on the news and ESB power check app was clear when we got our broadband and 3/4G back.

I'm curious to ascertain how big the outage was and what caused it.

We'd a power cut for about 15 mins in swords about 12:15

Very strange it wasn't on powercheck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

House alarms are still going off in Malahide since it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

House alarms are still going off in Malahide since it happened.

There's one idiot on our road who doesn't need a power cut for her house alarm to sound just about every day. Not that it's her responsibility, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

House alarms should not go off during a power cut. If it does, it's usually because the backup battery inside the alarm panel is defective. Or in other words, a lack of maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭kopite386

It was gone from around an hour and a half in Donabate today - I had data on my phone and there was nothing shown on the ESB power check at all for anywhere in North county Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

House alarms should not go off during a power cut. If it does, it's usually because the backup battery inside the alarm panel is defective. Or in other words, a lack of maintenance.

They nearly always do. The first thing my husband did after I checked the fuseboard was open the front door to see if the alarms were going off so we knew it was the neighbourhood and not our house. There were about 5 or 6 on our road going off.

They nearly always do. The first thing my husband did after I checked the fuseboard was open the front door to see if the alarms were going off so we knew it was the neighbourhood and not our house. There were about 5 or 6 on our road going off.

Yeah the alarms always go off in our estate when the power is gone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

rushfan wrote: »
    There's one idiot on our road who doesn't need a power cut for her house alarm to sound just about every day. Not that it's her responsibility, mind.

The solution to this is to write a polite note telling them to get their alarm serviced as it is going off. Tie it to a brick and throw it through their front window.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Needless to say, Milverton was affected yet again...

Off for about an hour this time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Csalem

Power did go off in Balbriggan too. Think it was about 15 minutes also.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

It made negotiating traffic lights interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Had about three or four cuts near us in the last few months. Always wonder what happens to the electric gates in the complex.

I'd assume that the same battery/generator that keeps the emergency lights on in the common areas has enough juice to open the gates and leave them that way. Must go check next time it happens...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

6 times in 10 weeks for us. Probably have koutobia posting shortly accusing me of jinxing the area again...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Had about three or four cuts near us in the last few months. Always wonder what happens to the electric gates in the complex.

I'd assume that the same battery/generator that keeps the emergency lights on in the common areas has enough juice to open the gates and leave them that way. Must go check next time it happens...
    Not sure what happens in private areas but in some areas of work (HSE) there is a manual overide - a crank which is turned to open/close gates.

Years ago, filling stations were the same if there was a power cut - you had to manually wind the pump to dispense fuel. I use to hate seeing trucks come in during a power cut. The arms would be worn off you dispensing 1000 litres. Nowadays they just close.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Homer

It would appear to have been a fairly major outage and affected Airside retail park with the likes of Harvey Norman etc plunged into darkness for a short while and had to get people out of the store in near darkness! (wife was in there when it happened)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

Each emergency light has its own back up battery in the fitting. The mains keeps it charged and once it cuts out the battery kicks in. They're not connected to anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

The ESB could be doing an Enron

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Happened in Balbriggan and Skerries the other day and not in Balrothery, weird...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Fieldog wrote: »
    Happened in Balbriggan and Skerries the other day and not in Balrothery, weird...
    We had a power cut in Balrothery on Sat for a few mins.
    Its Beasty's fault.
    We never had an issue till he moved here!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

koutoubia wrote: »
    We had a power cut in Balrothery on Sat for a few mins.
    Its Beasty's fault.
    We never had an issue till he moved here!

What time was that?

I was up early enough playing games and watching football for most of the day, didn't hear the usual alarm wails but I do know the family up in Balbriggan got it...

I usually have to fix the time on the cooker... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

It went in Skerries & The Hills at the same time - from approx 12:15 to 1:15.

Fieldog wrote:
    What time was that?

About midday -ish. Was out the back washing my bike listening to Spotify when the music went off. Though one of the childers kicked me off Spotify then I heard the alarm going .

koutoubia wrote: »
    then I heard the alarm going .
    must make a nice change for you - alarm rather than siren

:pac:

Beasty wrote: »
    must make a nice change for you - alarm rather than siren

:pac:

:pac::pac::pac:

Broadband was also out earlier - I blame koutobia. Service has never been the same since he started his tapping malarkey....

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

Blackout in Donabate​ village this evening for a few hours affected the whole towns internet as well as phone signals even those on the other side of the bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Yep, we were having a dinner party Saturday night in Portrane and the power went from about 8 until 11ish. BBQ and candles to the rescue!

Advertisement