Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return Premium error 5 months later

Options
  • 22-04-2017 4:50pm

Hi There,

I don't know where i stand with this or if this is a common occurrence but last November when I was renewing my car insurance I received a letter to say that I was due a return premium of €378, I received another letter from the insurance company the following week confirming refund with the enclosed cheque.

Yesterday I received a letter from them which stated "Due to an administrative error €378 was refunded to you by cheque unfortunately this refund was not due to you and you should not have been refunded, please settle immediately."

I am very upset as I was recently made redundant and don't have that amount, I'm also upset at the tone of the letter, there was no apology from them for an error that was made on their part. They haven't explained how the error was made either, for all I know the letter itself could be an administrative error. Can anyone advise me what I should do here? is it common for insurance companies to do this?

Thanks in advance for any replies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭mrsbeebee

Did you not question this when you got the refund? By all means you can ring and complain and I would imagine that this is unusual and doest happen very often but surely you must have realised there was an issue when you got your money back. Personally I would have panicked that I wasn't covered and would have called them when I got the cheque.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'd write back and request a full explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

If you weren't entitled to the refund in the first place you have no right to refuse to pay it back to the Insurers now.

Why didn't you question it in the first place OP?

Hi thanks for the replies, I was given a breakdown of what I paid and what I should have paid , i had two letters telling me this so it never dawned on me that i wasn't owed it,that's why I didn't question it, I assumed they knew what they were doing as it was their job. I recently received a refund from the revenue too, by the same principle do i question this now? I may have been naive in taking their word for it.
    I never said I wouldn't pay it, I'm just seeking advice, I was wondering did anyone else experience this? I will take a posters advice and write and ask for an explanation, for a I don't think I should pay anything until I am told how the mistake was made,

Advertisement