Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea vs Spurs- FA Cup Semi Final

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Bret Hart wrote: »
    Spurs will be doing well to hang on to Kane and Alli as they'll soon begin too realise if they want to win silverware,there going to have join a club that's DNA is synonymous with it.

I think Kane will hang around for a few years no matter what happens(within reason) the likes of Alli Eriksen
    Alderweireld would he much harder to hold onto especially if Poch left.

Deise Vu wrote: »
    What are you a moderator in as a matter of interest? Welcome to the football forum anyway. Spurs are the team that has **** the bed to the extent that Chelsea's unassailable 10 point lead has decreased to 4 points in the last five weeks.

If you need any technical explanations such as the offside rule or anything just pm me.

Burn :D

U ok hun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

It's mad but to go after a Soccer mod that has been a staple of the soccer forum for years :pac:

"Welcome to the soccer forum" coming from a Spurs fan who are afraid to even join into the actual forum and like to live in their own little world over on that Forum.

One of the best posters in this forum as well .

What are you a moderator in as a matter of interest? Welcome to the football forum anyway. Spurs are the team that has **** the bed to the extent that Chelsea's unassailable 10 point lead has decreased to 4 points in the last five weeks.

If you need any technical explanations such as the offside rule or anything just pm me.

If Spurs overhall Chelsea and win the league then they will be rightly praised. Until then they may be regarded as a club who just can't get it together to cross the line to the next level.

2 league cups and an FA cup in the last 30 years says it all, and they've been in Arsenal's shadow for a long long time.

Spurs need to win a trophy with that team asap .Even a league cup would help.it's all well and good playing attractive football and getting heaps of praise but until they actually win something it will always be thrown at them that they are soft.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Spurs need to win a trophy with that team asap .Even a league cup would help.it's all well and good playing attractive football and getting heaps of praise but until they actually win something it will always be thrown at them that they are soft.

I don't think they are too far away tbh. Very good manager with an excellent team.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    I don't think they are too far away tbh. Very good manager with an excellent team.

I agree but need silverware or players heads will be turned.I think they will have bids for numerous players this summer and be interesting to see what happens.

yabadabado wrote: »
    I agree but need silverware or players heads will be turned.I think they will have bids for numerous players this summer and be interesting to see what happens.

Yeah maybe.

They'll have CL next season anyway so personally I can see them adding top players rather than subtracting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Cringey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

How many lemons do you want mate? :pac:

That's what happens when they leave their hosted backwater !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Spurs lost when it matters. Deal with it. It's the usual pattern.

It's one thing to cut a lead down. It's another to get over the line. If you knew anything about top level sport, you'd know the difference.

This Spurs team have proven the sweet sum of fúck all until they actually put some silverware in that trophy cabinet. For all the plaudits they get (and I've seen a few too many articles and pundits telling me they're the best team in the league in recent weeks), they've not won anything.

If they don't overhaul Chelsea (which given Chelsea's run-in is highly likely), then all Spurs will have achieved is Champions League football, St Totteringham's Day not happening for once, and maybe a golden boot for Harry Kane.

Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

SlickRic wrote: »

It's one thing to cut a lead down. It's another to get over the line. If you knew anything about top level sport, you'd know the difference.

This Spurs team have proven the sweet sum of fúck all until they actually put some silverware in that trophy cabinet. For all the plaudits they get (and I've seen a few too many articles and pundits telling me they're the best team in the league in recent weeks), they've not won anything.

If they don't overhaul Chelsea (which given Chelsea's run-in is highly likely), then all Spurs will have achieved is Champions League football, St Totteringham's Day not happening for once, and maybe a golden boot for Harry Kane.

Well done.

Spot on.

Spurs great run although excellent is meaningless because they haven't had any pressure on them it's an Arsenalesque run of form of playing well when you were out of contention, now that they are in contention we'll see how good they are.They completely **** themselves last year when they should have won the league so until they perform when the pressure is really on they don'tr deserve the massive praise they have been getting up to now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Well done.

They've been the best team in the Premier League points-wise over the course of the last 2 seasons.

I'm not arguing in favour of them, simply stating that it's not like they've only been on a good run of form the last few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

They've been the best team in the Premier League points-wise over the course of the last 2 seasons.

I'm not arguing in favour of them, simply stating that it's not like they've only been on a good run of form the last few weeks.

So what. They've won nothing. Winners win losers lose.

Spurs until they prove otherwise play some neat stuff when it doesn't matter and lost 5-1 to a relegated Newcastle side when it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Yeah he's hardly claiming they're on a random run of form when he states that they should have won the league last year now is he?

So what. They've won nothing. Winners win losers lose.

Spurs until they prove otherwise play some neat stuff when it doesn't matter and lost 5-1 to a relegated Newcastle side when it does.

Don't think I could've been any clearer short of writing it in caps. Not. Arguing. In. Favour. Of. Spurs.

Simply pointing out Slick Ric's metric as being misleading. Odd example of game though given that the actual race for the title was over at that stage and the difference between 2nd and 3rd is almost insignificant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Spurs are the only team you can trust to finish 3rd in a 2 horse race

You're completely missing my point on purpose, or you're illiterate.

Choose one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Jesus, I seem to have hit a nerve or two here! Enjoy the run in lads, won't it be interesting to see which of Liverpool, Utd or Arsenal **** the bed? Again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Jesus, I seem to have hit a nerve or two here! Enjoy the run in lads, won't it be interesting to see which of Liverpool, Utd or Arsenal **** the bed? Again.

As you can see from Arsenal there is no glory In consequetively gaining qualification to the champions league time and time again. MEDIOCROTY should not be the be all and end all, but sadly for spurs fans it's the case.

You're completely missing my point on purpose, or you're illiterate.

Choose one.

Make your point clearer or stop whinging.

That'd be helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Christ, a couple of top 4 finished and Spurs fans are as unbearable as the rest of us.

I dont think you hit a nerve ,you just acted like a little bitch when someone questioned Spurs bottle and got called on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Ha. Scattergun approach now.

Toys out of the pram stuff.

Hilarious.

In fairness I will admit I was humbled by the insightful analaysis here. There was a cracking game with six goals dominated by one team who still managed to lose by two goals despite dominating possession and getting 11-1 corners, lots of "professional fouls", etc etc . Plenty to discuss but the Lord Guru (apparently) had it sorted. The team that has managed to make a league if it the last two seasons is ****ting the bed. That's fantastic analysis, and I am embarrassed I didn't spot it myself.

Here's a question for you gurus. If Chelsea don't **** the bed with their handy run in will Kanye be the first player to ever win two consecutive league titles without playing a singe minute of either CL or EL football. He had some engine in him doesn't he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

..will Kanye be the first player to ever win two consecutive league titles..

Hold on a second, did I miss Chelsea signing Kanye West??

They might as well, they have no opposition apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

If Spurs were as ultra defensive today as some they might not have conceded four.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

In fairness I will admit I was humbled by the insightful analaysis here. There was a cracking game with six goals dominated by one team who still managed to lose by two goals despite dominating possession and getting 11-1 corners, lots of "professional fouls", etc etc . Plenty to discuss but the Lord Guru (apparently) had it sorted. The team that has managed to make a league if it the last two seasons is ****ting the bed. That's fantastic analysis, and I am embarrassed I didn't spot it myself.

Here's a question for you gurus. If Chelsea don't **** the bed with their handy run in will Kanye be the first player to ever win two consecutive league titles without playing a singe minute of either CL or EL football. He had some engine in him doesn't he?

Yes yes, congratulations on "making a league of it." Truly the highest honour in football.

I think I know why there is a Spurs forum now. So far all I'm getting here is something about beds and lemons. It's way above my understanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I think there's a lot of over analysis on things like 'bottling' etc in football sometimes. I watched a very good game today that Spurs mostly dominated, to a point where Chelsea were struggling to even get the ball. I felt Spurs lacked pace in the last part of the pitch though and that slowed up a lot of their attacks to the point where Chelsea could get one of the defenders in the way to clear things. Spurs chance was definitely when Alli equalised and they had the momentum after that, but I felt they tried the 'Eriksen ball in behind' too often when they had possession and Chelsea were dealing with most of it. Poor enough not to close down Hazard for his goal, as good a strike as it was, should certainly have been avoided.

Was great to watch Spurs play like that today, even if it came to nothing in the end. Chelsea's resolve in defence was impressive to watch as well and their ability to make it count more than Spurs did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Christ, a couple of top 4 finished and Spurs fans are as unbearable as the rest of us.

I've said it before, but whether out of frustration, arrogance, fear of the inevitable loss of players such as Kane ( :D ) or mere lacking a sense of humour or even an inferiority complex ( joke... :D ), Spurs fans can't seem to take any criticism or slagging the last 2 seasons.

They seem to think everyone is out to get them and even though they get lots of deserved praise, like all teams, they deserve criticism. I know all fans have an instinct to feel they have to defend their team from criticism, some reasonable, others not, a lot of Spurs fans need to realise that they did bottle it last year. This year is different, they haven't ever gone on a bad run. What has cost them is that run in October of 4 or 5 draws.

Other than that, apart from a couple of defeats that were hardly embarrasing given the opposition, they have been consistent. They just have unfortunately came up against an excellent Chelsea team.

They are not bottling this season by any means, the opposite in fact. They are fighting a battle to catch Chelsea that seemed an inevitable loss a few weeks back and have put themselves in a situation where there is, although probably unlikely, a good chance of them catching their rivals.

Arsenal and United coming up now, both of whom will be desperate to win themselves so it is a good opportunity to evaluate their mentality when the finishing line is in sight.

Even today, they were very unlucky and itwas a typical cup game.

Saying that I stand by my point that certain Spurs fans need to get a dose of reality that people who give them any sort of criticism aren't necessarily merely out to insult the team.

Ohm, and I was clearly joking about the inferiority complex remark,,,,,,,kind of ! :D

Corholio wrote: »
    I think there's a lot of over analysis on things like 'bottling' etc in football sometimes. I watched a very good game today that Spurs mostly dominated, to a point where Chelsea were struggling to even get the ball. I felt Spurs lacked pace in the last part of the pitch though and that slowed up a lot of their attacks to the point where Chelsea could get one of the defenders in the way to clear things. Spurs chance was definitely when Alli equalised and they had the momentum after that, but I felt they tried the 'Eriksen ball in behind' too often when they had possession and Chelsea were dealing with most of it. Poor enough not to close down Hazard for his goal, as good a strike as it was, should certainly have been avoided.

Was great to watch Spurs play like that today, even if it came to nothing in the end. Chelsea's resolve in defence was impressive to watch as well and their ability to make it count more than Spurs did.

What the hell is this madness? You are trying to analyse a marvellous match. You will get banned. Next you will be asking questions about Ericsson's delivery from corners or maybe asking why a huge team like Spurs can be dominated at set pieces by Sideshow Bob or questioning the philosophy about keeping possession and trying to find space. Maybe it's better to let the opposition have the ball and compress the game in your own half?

All interesting stuff or maybe we should discuss citrus fruits and fecal matter instead because everyone knows that Spurs fans just can't handle not winning seeing as they've won all those cups over the last 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

What the hell is this madness? You are trying to analyse a marvellous match. You will get banned. Next you will be asking questions about Ericsson's delivery from corners or maybe asking why a huge team like Spurs can be dominated at set pieces by Sideshow Bob or questioning the philosophy about keeping possession and trying to find space. Maybe it's better to let the opposition have the ball and compress the game in your own half?

All interesting stuff or maybe we should discuss citrus fruits and fecal matter instead because everyone knows that Spurs fans just can't handle not winning seeing as they've won all those cups over the last 30 years.

You certainly can't.

Lukker- wrote: »
    You certainly can't.

You got me there. It was only the endless series of trophies, year after year that dragged me into following Spurs.

Any thoughts on how the game ended the way it did.

I'll simplify that for you. Any thoughts? About anything like.

For instance is Kanye/ Kante the first (possibly!) player to win two EPLs ( or any major European league for that matter) who hadn't played a minute of CL or EL football. Is that even relevant or important? I'm just asking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

For instance is Kanye/ Kante the first (possibly!) player to win two EPLs ( or any major European league for that matter) who hadn't played a minute of CL or EL football. Is that even relevant or important? I'm just asking.

Don't think it's important really, there won't be an asterisk on Kante's winners medal should he get one.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Make your point clearer or stop whinging.

That'd be helpful.

Spurs! Spurs! With the precocious talents of Dele Alli, the vision of Christian Eriksen and the unerring finishing ability of Harry Kane, the North London outfit are a sight to behold when in full flight. Despite the talents on show, when it comes to actually winning when it truly matters, the Lilywhites of White Hart Lane still fall agonisingly short of the standard required.

But maybe one day? Let's go Tottenham Hotspur!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Spurs! Spurs! With the precocious talents of Dele Alli, the vision of Christian Eriksen and the unerring finishing ability of Harry Kane, the North London outfit are a sight to behold when in full flight. Despite the talents on show, when it comes to actually winning when it truly matters, the Lilywhites of White Hart Lane still fall agonisingly short of the standard required.

Quality Pathe News coverage!

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

That language seems a bit flowery for my liking...

But hey, nice deflection away from the original point that you know you were wrong about but didn't expect to get called out on it. Shame I'm here, and that's what I do.

That language seems a bit flowery for my liking...

But hey, nice deflection away from the original point that you know you were wrong about but didn't expect to get called out on it. Shame I'm here, and that's what I do.

You talk nonsense from a pedestal. That's what you do.

And there's no point explaining again. It's clear to everyone but you. And you'll ignore or deflect anyway. Another thing you do.

I'll leave you to prepare for El Clasico.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Well done.
    You should see how desperate the fans of some clubs are to achieve just that one target!!

My take on the game was that Spurs were unlucky, and Chelsea were ruthless. There was nothing on the Spurs bench, but Chelsea threw on 3 quality players to turn the game.
    I thought the referee favoured Chelsea throughout the game.
    Alonso and Ake got away with loads of fouls without being booked for them (Alonso booked for kicking the ball away) and Kante got to build up a load of fouls before his booking. Dembele should have been carded as well for Spurs. I'm not forgetting the handball either, I thought that the linesman should have called that.
    The penalty was a crazy one, one of those that showed Moses at his professional best. He was on his way down when it might have been easier to hurdle Son (what was he doing??), but I know that if Moses was on my team I wouldn't be complaining if he did the same thing.
    I think that has settled the league as well now, as Spurs won't get any chance to close the gap now over the next two series of fixtures as Chelsea play first in both. Tottenham just have to keep winning now to ensure second place.

A great week for football though, 2 cracking games (Barca/Juve) !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Great game, matic's goal was something else though.

Chelsea well deserved it too regardless of any potenial ref decisions (spurs were fairly dirty at times and got away with it)

• Deise Vu wrote: »
    I think I know why there is a Spurs forum now. So far all I'm getting here is something about beds and lemons. It's way above my understanding.

Its a self contained bubble of delusions by the sounds of it.

Plenty of debate across the soccer forum between various different supporters some good some bad but that's the point.

Imagine going to a soccer match and only the home support are allowed attend. Sounds **** doesn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

You talk nonsense from a pedestal. That's what you do.

Hit nail on the head. Funny how he talked so much about possession when Jose's team had less possession and not a peep about it when Chelsea had around 35% possession in a neutral venue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I'm open to correction but I don't think Mark Schwarzer played any champions league football when he played for Chelsea in the 14/15 season so therefore he's the first, not Kanye/Kante, that's won back to back epl titles with two different clubs without playing any European football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

He would have played for Boro and/or Fulham in their Europa League runs, surely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

He would have played for Boro and/or Fulham in their Europa League runs, surely.

He is referring to Champions League the year Chelsea won the title.

In fact the previous season he played in the latter stages of the Champions League, against Atletico Madrid, I think because Cech was injured??

I think he is the oldest Champ League keeper/

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Its a self contained bubble of delusions by the sounds of it.

Plenty of debate across the soccer forum between various different supporters some good some bad but that's the point.

Imagine going to a soccer match and only the home support are allowed attend. Sounds **** doesn't it?

Depends on the away fans!

• Advertisement
Advertisement