Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Is On Your Bucket List?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

To see what there is to do in Greenland...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

And I'd love to see the target deck you though.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

To see what there is to do in Greenland...

know a chap that done a walk there couple of years ago, looks amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    know a chap that done a walk there couple of years ago, looks amazing

Him or there? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Graces7 wrote: »
    Small one that was with me in the really terrible illness years; to watch puffins in the wild.

To find the right house to live in for these last years.

To continue the work I still do ..ie die with my boots on;oh and to die out in the sweet wild air not in some bed!

This is a great post. There's a particular poignancy to it, maybe the Puffin thing. I dunno. Breaking my heart, you are. I hope you get it all down soon :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

At this stage,(I'm 48).

To see the mortgage paid off. (Freedom!)

Have decent disposable income.

Maybe see grandchildren.

A bit of travel & with the health to do it would be the cherry on top.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Honestly don't have one if we're taking the interpretation of bucket list as I understand it.

There's no act of travel, pursuit or achievement that I can think of that is so important to me that I would have left it this long to fulfil. My only wishes are standard vanilla stuff like me and my family staying healthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

I'd love to see a volcano kicking off, whether it be from a helicopter or a safe distance on ground. The power of it would be something you'd never see in your lifetime I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

A few things on my list, mostly travel related:

- Travel around Australia
    - Road trip from New Orleans to Memphis (or other way round, not too fussy)
    - In the unlikely event that they ever re-formed, to see Talking Heads live
    - To re-visit South Africa (been there a couple of times, so not sure if this really counts)
    - Visit Argentina
    - Go to the Monaco, Belgian, Italian, Singapore and Canadian F1 Grand Prix
    - Win the Lotto to pay for all the above

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I'd like to make my own album. And in every musical format that has ever existed. I want it to be number one in the wax cylinder chart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

I'd love to see a volcano kicking off, whether it be from a helicopter or a safe distance on ground. The power of it would be something you'd never see in your lifetime I'd imagine.

This would be cool. I'd also love to go to Antarctica.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'd like to make my own album. And in every musical format that has ever existed. I want it to be number one in the wax cylinder chart.

Wax cylinders are soooooo 1870's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I'd like to have kids but I imagine I'll end up with a party of pet frogs or something instead.

Travelwise, Sri Lanka, India, Asia and Peru. Have everything else done I wanted but need to travel more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

Climb Everest. Even if I died doing it I would be happy to go like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

My one item on my bucket list that needs to happen or I will not die happy - I want to buy a motorhome and travel around with my husband and our dogs seeing Europe and anywhere else we can get to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

See waterford win an all Ireland,
    even just once

^^^I cannot understate how much this would mean to me

I'd like to Argentina and maybe Vietnam, 1 of which I hope to visit this year for a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Better quality sleep would be a good. Find more good books. Restore a wooden caravan and keep it in my garden as I'm not too pushed about bringing one on the roads, if I have to put something a bit 'bigger' down. I'd sleep in it now and then during the Summer and guests could stay there. A change of scene is nice sometimes but there's enough to the countryside here to keep me happy. I have found that people are almost equally ordinary everywhere. I never really got the urge to be somewhere else or visit the more extreme or hostile environments to remind myself that I'm alive.
    Maybe buy a place with a decent bit of land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

soups05 wrote: »
    marry an amazing woman who likes lots of happy time in the bedroom.....check
    have kids who grow up sensible, with good education and good morals...check

get stinking rich......hhhmmm working on it.

my o/h has two on her list, parachute and go on the back of a motorbike.

any one got a bike and want a pillion for 20 mins? lol

reminds me; one of the great lads who got my car out of the ditch yesterday said I should get a "cat"and go up and down the mountains on it.. BLISS! I was at one theme place once when someone gave me a lift on one.. Bliss!

Oh add OWN A JIMNY to my own list... saw one and fell in love.

erica74 wrote: »
    My one item on my bucket list that needs to happen or I will not die happy - I want to buy a motorhome and travel around with my husband and our dogs seeing Europe and anywhere else we can get to.

at one stage I seriously thought re coming an Aussie Grey Panther. ;) Had too many cats in my care though..

• Advertisement

This is a great post. There's a particular poignancy to it, maybe the Puffin thing. I dunno. Breaking my heart, you are. I hope you get it all down soon :)

(((HUGS))) I am these days very aware of my age and it makes so many things trivial and so many other things vital. Love life and love folk. Love the sheer beauty of Connemara so much it hurts. Yesterday's accident accentuated it all. had the car turned over?

Life is precious and so fragile. I am blessed and thankful to have reached this age ( heading for 80)

But yes, puffins.. Still yearn for that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I got to drive a Maserati over the weekend. So one less thing on the list.

Biggest anomaly in my life is that I have been all over the world but never been to Rome.
    So I think top of the list would be a week in Rome, with no kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭justincasey

I have a f*** it list.. next is chathrine Thomas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Neames

I have a f*** it list.. next is chathrine Thomas

You'll never pull it off if you get her name wrong.

Actually, pull it off was probably a poor choice of phrase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

Neames wrote: »
    You'll never pull it off if you get her name wrong.

Actually, pull it off was probably a poor choice of phrase.

Pulling it off to a few pics is as close as he will get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

I have lots on my bucket list but most likely won't get to some of them but the next one for me is to go visit Elvis Presley's grave in Graceland and also get a part in a western movie playing the good guy who saves the lady from the outlaws. I know I would make a good Clint Eastwood my favourite movie star.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Neames

Revisit a few cities...Rome & New York spring to.mind.

Go on Safari.

Fly first class.

For the child in me I would love to go to Lapland and spend xmas there. Also go sse an NBA basketball match as I used to play it when I was younger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

I have lots on my bucket list but most likely won't get to some of them but the next one for me is to go visit Elvis Presley's grave in Graceland and also get a part in a western movie playing the good guy who saves the lady from the outlaws. I know I would make a good Clint Eastwood my favourite movie star.

Have you not visited Westworld yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

Go to Vegas, hoping to go for my 30th but that's ages away. Go back to Florida/Jamaica/Cayman Islands/Zadar/Tokyo
    Go watch snooker in the crucible
    Go to Augusta for the masters
    Have a Labrador
    See the pyramids in Egypt.
    Go skiing
    Ice skate in the Rockefeller centre
    Visit Auschwitz

Mine are pretty boring, wouldn't be into bungee jumping or skydiving or anything like that. I mostly just want to see places.

That doesn't look like anything to me.

:pac:

Don't think there is a park called Westworld but it if there was I would definitely add it to my bucket list. I saw the tv series on Sky Atlantic and it was pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,494 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Got to do one by visiting Hawaii last year, it's everything you imagine of it/see in postcards.

Future ones would be mostly sport oriented like go to some top events (Masters, a World Cup which includes Ireland, play Pebble Beach), one I intend to start doing with my dad will be to visit every county ground in the country, a minor one but it'd be fun to do. Then there'd be family ones, like have decent kids hopefully soon or be able to afford that first house.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I never really got the urge to be somewhere else or visit the more extreme or hostile environments to remind myself that I'm alive.

Couldn't have put it better. I spent my 20s and beyond fecking around other places and wishing I was somewhere else all the time. Had some fun but I probably could have spent the time better.
    Make the most of where you are and what you have.
    This "Travelling" obsession is nuts and not really sustainable, I mean is everyone going to have to visit everywhere sooner or later?
    I find it interesting at how many women on dating sites (I can't speak for the men) go on about their passion for travel and how obsessed they are with it.
    The only gripe I have with Ireland is the lack of warm weather, which prompts me to go to Spain or somewhere like that every year for a bit!

Couldn't have put it better. I spent my 20s and beyond fecking around other places and wishing I was somewhere else all the time. Had some fun but I probably could have spent the time better.
    This "Travelling" obsession is nuts and not really sustainable, I mean is everyone going to have to visit everywhere sooner or later?
    I find it interesting at how many women on dating sites (I can't speak for the men) go on about their passion for travel and how obsessed they are with it.
    The only gripe I have with Ireland is the lack of warm weather, which prompts me to go to Spain or somewhere like that every year for a bit!

I think people are seen as ignorant or lacking in zest for life or something if you don't have a strong wanderlust for foreign travel. ''Travel broadens the mind'' etc. Probably true for many people but I think it depends on what the mind was like to start with, and it's not the only thing that broadens the mind, nor is it necessary for that, imo.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I think people are seen as ignorant or lacking in zest for life or something if you don't have a strong wanderlust for foreign travel. ''Travel broadens the mind'' etc. Probably true for many people but I think it depends on what the mind was like to start with, and it's not the only thing that broadens the mind, nor is it necessary for that, imo.
    It's a bit of a meaningless cliche to be honest. For most it amounts to drinking buckets on some beach in Thailand or partying it up in Mancora. :D

Whether one has travelled or not means nothing. I know people who have barely left Ireland, and they are some of the soundest people you could meet. I also know people who have gone absolutely everywhere, into the back of beyonds to places that most people couldn't point out on a map, and they are equally good company. Whether somebody has travelled or not means sweet FA in the grand scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭whatever99

Unrealistic:
    - Conduct an orchestra
    - Travel the world

Realistic:
    - Get the courage to get married and have kids (if possible)
    - Own my own house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I think it's really down to the individual. Nothing is nuts, just everyone's bucket list and interests are different.

I did not travel at all in my 20's, we never had holidays as kids as we were dirt poor so playing catch up since late 30's and now take off 3 times a year if I'm lucky.

The first time I took off, was having a stressful time in work, so just went in to travel agent and said where can you send me Saturday week, far away from here. She sent me to Vietnam. It really pushed me out of my comfort zone and I came back more confident and with a sparkle I had not previous. I've been heading off ever since.

Galapagos is on my list, Amazon and Peru, Sri Lanka and Myanmar.

I agree with you make the most of what you have and where you are. But don't give up on your dreams.

My mum never travelled, no money and a different time. She's always telling me, "go now, go while you can" . There will be a time I can't walk up mountains, climb Angels landing, head off on a scooter round Hi-chi - min, sit and have lunch at the Grand Canyon or even have a pint in a local in Inisboffin and watch the sunset.

The idea of bucket list is to do whatever makes you happy.

You'll be a long time dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

Same rule can be applied to almost anything. That attitude stinks, reminds me of a story my boyfriend told me about a bad date where the girl asked if he had ever lived abroad and when he replied that he hadn't she looked like he just insulted her and she told him that he really should live somewhere else, at least for a year or two, everyone needs to do it.
    I got a PM on here and the guy goes that he presumed I lived in Dublin. I said right now I don't live there and he said, oh you have no life or something. I was raging.

anewme wrote: »
    I think it's really down to the individual. Nothing is nuts, just everyone's bucket list and interests are different.

I did not travel at all in my 20's, we never had holidays as kids as we were dirt poor so playing catch up since late 30's and now take off 3 times a year if I'm lucky.

The first time I took off, was having a stressful time in work, so just went in to travel agent and said where can you send me Saturday week, far away from here. She sent me to Vietnam. It really pushed me out of my comfort zone and I came back more confident and with a sparkle I had not previous. I've been heading off ever since.

Galapagos is on my list, Amazon and Peru, Sri Lanka and Myanmar.

I agree with you make the most of what you have and where you are. But don't give up on your dreams.

My mum never travelled, no money and a different time. She's always telling me, "go now, go while you can" . There will be a time I can't walk up mountains, climb Angels landing, head off on a scooter round Hi-chi - min, sit and have lunch at the Grand Canyon or even have a pint in a local in Inisboffin and watch the sunset.

The idea of bucket list is to do whatever makes you happy.

You'll be a long time dead.

True but that's not a reason to go somewhere for the sake of it. I don't feel I'm missing out by not seeing the Aurora Borealis or the pyramids. I'm sure I'd find them interesting if I did but I don't feel the need to.
    You obviously have a desire to see particular places in person, fair enough :)

mzungu wrote: »
    It's a bit of a meaningless cliche to be honest. For most it amounts to drinking buckets on some beach in Thailand or partying it up in Mancora. :D

Whether one has travelled or not means nothing. I know people who have barely left Ireland, and they are some of the soundest people you could meet. I also know people who have gone absolutely everywhere, into the back of beyonds to places that most people couldn't point out on a map, and they are equally good company. Whether somebody has travelled or not means sweet FA in the grand scheme of things.

Yes. All true, imo.

I know someone who's travelled extensively, and she's still the same eejit she was before she ever left...maybe a few others who did benefit because they needed perspective and travel happened to be the thing to do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Not everyone has to travel.

But Born Live and Die in the same village in rural Ireland is a waste. IMO.

• Advertisement

True but that's not a reason to go somewhere for the sake of it. I don't feel I'm missing out by not seeing the Aurora Borealis or the pyramids. I'm sure I'd find them interesting if I did but I don't feel the need to.
    You obviously have a desire to see particular places in person, fair enough :)

If I get the "travel bug" I go to the travel section on youtube... some of the programmes are so real.. and ah! I saw the Merrie Dancers as the Aurora Borealis is called in Scotland, many times... Thinking back , a lovely life in so many ways.

Glenster wrote: »
    Not everyone has to travel.

But Born Live and Die in the same village in rural Ireland is a waste. IMO.

For the person or for the world? There was a postman on the Scottish island where I lived who had been to Aberdeen once and that was it. And many who have lived and married and raised families in the same small village.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I spent 8 weeks in Australia with a group of friends after the SSIA's (remember them!!!) paid out. It was a fantastic trip. Six months later, I sadly lost one of my friends in tragic circumstances. Can still recall what songs were playing as we sang along, on the journeys from town to town. If one of the songs comes in the radio even now, it takes me back to a very happy time. Life is short and cruel sometimes and fantastic other times. Do what makes you happy as you might not travel those roads again.

I went to Las Vegas and then on to Orlando Florida for my 50th birthday it was brilliant . They were on my bucket list . I also went to see Barcelona play in the NU Camp so the next thing on my list is to hopefully go for a helicopter ride over the Grand Caynion. One can only dream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

1. Write a bucket list.
    2. Do the stuff on it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement