Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Is On Your Bucket List?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

1. Write a bucket list.
    2. Do the stuff on it.

I wonder is there many out there who don't have a bucket list and are just happy going about living their daily lives?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I wonder is there many out there who don't have a bucket list and are just happy going about living their daily lives?

Most people, in my experience.

I don't know anybody who ever had one. There were always places to go and things to see but just hopes and aspirations and dreams. Never a list as such nor something to be ticked off.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Absolutely. I had to have a think about what I would have on a list just for the purposes of this thread. Chances are that if you asked me in a year I'd have at least a partially different list as different things occurred to me that I'd really like to do. And if I get an opportunity do do some of the stuff I listed earlier, great, but it's just as likely that I'll get a chance to do other stuff that I'll enjoy just as much at some stage in the future, so I'm not going to obsess about completing my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I don't have a bucket list. I had to think of a few examples of things I might do for this thread, but they're definitely not on a list as such.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Was this concept even a thing before that film with Jack Nicholson?
    I don't have any kind of list, I don't even have any things I'd definitely like to do. For now I wouldn't mind improving at golf, drinking a bit less, and maybe just being happier in general. Apart from that I'm happy enough being healthy and having an all round good life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I don't have a bucket list. I had to think of a few examples of things I might do for this thread, but they're definitely not on a list as such.

same here;I had forgotten re the puffins until then...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Graces7 wrote: »
    For the person or for the world? There was a postman on the Scottish island where I lived who had been to Aberdeen once and that was it. And many who have lived and married and raised families in the same small village.

For the person, the world will be fine without you.

That postman, I'm sure he was happy, but his favorite thing in the world might have been in Dundee. But he wasn't arsed to find it.

Zaph wrote: »
    Absolutely. I had to have a think about what I would have on a list just for the purposes of this thread. Chances are that if you asked me in a year I'd have at least a partially different list as different things occurred to me that I'd really like to do. And if I get an opportunity do do some of the stuff I listed earlier, great, but it's just as likely that I'll get a chance to do other stuff that I'll enjoy just as much at some stage in the future, so I'm not going to obsess about completing my list.

I'm the same I have my list but if I don't complete it I will manage to survive. The only reason I made a bucket list was because I had a health scare last year before that I never really thought about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I fulfilled one life long wish by seeing the Amazon and doing the Pacific Coast highway trip in California.

I would love to go to Yellowstone, Patagonia, and Alaska, but it's not going to happen anytime soon, if at all. I can understand travel is not for some people, it can be a lot of hassle, but of course if you have the interest you'll put with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Glenster wrote: »
    For the person, the world will be fine without you.

That postman, I'm sure he was happy, but his favorite thing in the world might have been in Dundee. But he wasn't arsed to find it.

Yes he was happy. His favourite thing was doing his job carefully and well, and being a good neighbour to many of us on a small thinly populated island with no pub etc. I remember him gratefully. They used to say he was not very bright but when you are kind and a good neighbour who cares re IQ.

When you have contentment why seek more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭justincasey

Neames wrote: »
    I have a f*** it list.. next is chathrine Thomas
    You'll never pull it off if you get her name wrong.Meet Catherine the weekend......she said no Actually, pull it off was probably a poor choice of phrase.
    Neames wrote: »
    I have a f*** it list.. next is chathrine Thomas

You'll never pull it off if you get her name wrong.

Actually, pull it off was probably a poor choice of phrase.
    I meet Catherine the weekend....she said no

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Rent a mustang and spend two months traveling coast to coast in the states with my wife.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

Solve a Rubik's Cube - Done !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Yes he was happy. His favourite thing was doing his job carefully and well, and being a good neighbour to many of us on a small thinly populated island with no pub etc. I remember him gratefully. They used to say he was not very bright but when you are kind and a good neighbour who cares re IQ.

Id rather be ambitious than content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I have an uncle who has one of those 'Things to do' wall boards in his kitchen.
    He has all the usual stuff on it:

- Dead head the daffodils
    - Renew Lotto ticket
    - Cancel magazine subscription.

But he has crossed out 'Things to do' and written in 'Bucket list'.

He is 82 and convinced will will wake up dead every morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Humanity wouldn't exist as we know it if everyone thought like that.

I'm not saying everyone needs to be a far reacher but be thankful to those who are. We would still be living in caves otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Take a dump right in one if those unplumbed display toilets in B&Q.

Damn it. Now I have one hundred and one on my list.

The satisfaction of them looking at you aghast and demanding that you leave whilst you smugly retort, "Flush that - you polo-shirted, black-slacked twat!"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Humanity wouldn't exist as we know it if everyone thought like that.

I'm not saying everyone needs to be a far reacher but be thankful to those who are. We would still be living in caves otherwise.

You can be a curious and inquisitive person without having a bucket list that has lots of travel and extreme experiences on it, though. They're two separate things. Someone with a love of discovery can go into science or medicine without needing to see Antarctica to further their work. Actually I think the most creative minds don't overlook the wonder of what is familiar and regional and what many people consider ordinary and mundane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

You can be a curious and inquisitive person without having a bucket list that has lots of travel and extreme experiences on it, though. They're two separate things.

Oh I agree. Never really had the travel bug apart from maybe one or two places I'd like to see.

Not everyone has to be a high flyer but it's important to have people that push the boundaries.

We're all on this blue ball and in our short existence we have doubled our life expectancy and have a good understanding of how we came to exist dating back millions of years. Great bunch of lads.

• Advertisement

Winterlong wrote: »
    I have an uncle who has one of those 'Things to do' wall boards in his kitchen.
    He has all the usual stuff on it:

- Dead head the daffodils
    - Renew Lotto ticket
    - Cancel magazine subscription.

But he has crossed out 'Things to do' and written in 'Bucket list'.

He is 82 and convinced will will wake up dead every morning.

Great to see someone that age have a bucket list. Gives them something to aim for even if the bucket list isn't as adventurous or exciting as some of the lists posted here. Good on him.

Advertisement