Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage and solicitor advice?

• 22-04-2017 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, I've just finished my home renovation and my solicitor is looking for a BER cert before I can get my last stage payment of my mortgage. I asked my architect about this and he said it doesn't need the BER cert as it's not a new house, I'm not sure which one is right, I'd rather not pay out for the cert if i don't need to. Does anyone know which one of them is right?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭caesarthechimp

Normally you would not need it. If the "renovation" is such that it constitutes a complete rebuild of the house, and needs to comply with the Building Regs, then you would need it to show compliance.
    Ask the architect whether your renovation complies with the current Building Regs, or needs to.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Normally you would not need it. If the "renovation" is such that it constitutes a complete rebuild of the house, and needs to comply with the Building Regs, then you would need it to show compliance.
    most extensions are just extensions and need to comply with the building regulations
    Ask the architect whether your renovation complies with the current Building Regs, or needs to

part L 2011 has a section for alterations/extensions - this is less onerous than a new build. But don't confuse this with the requirement to comply with building regs for any new works carried out.

Advertisement