Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to do on a sat?

• 22-04-2017 9:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there everyone,

Am mid 30s female. Am single, no kids. I dont mind this. I do go out maybe couple of times a month (for example, I will go out tomo night), and thats ok/enough for me.

I've a full time job. I go to the gym during the day. I've travelled a good bit. Good education.

I would like to meet someone, but just havent yet. I do like to experience things to try and better myself.

But, I just dont really have any hobbies. I do have friends, and some very good ones, but we dont meet up often (maybe one friend a week) and thats fine too. I like to do my own thing. And I like time alone. But an inordinate amount of time isnt healthy either.

I've tried various and vast amounts of things. And never felt passionate about anything.

I dread Saturdays. Why this particular day? Well, I just dont really have anything to do. The last few Saturdays, I get up have brekkie, then go back to bed. Get up and do nothing really for the rest of the day.

I was even thinking of getting a Saturday job somewhere. Even though I dont really need extra cash. I suppose Id like to do something productive. Give Saturday a meaning.

Anyone else find themselves in this scenario? Advice to offer?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭purple_rose

Can you volunteer for a few hours on a Saturday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Do you like animals? Maybe volunteer in an animal sanctuary.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,605 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I used to go for a drive on Saturday nights, to somewhere that I could see the night sky. I had a constellations book, and I started trying to find them and ticking them off. Did that for a few months.

It's a nerdy things but I educated myself from it aswell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the replies thus far.

No-am not really an animal lover. But I do like the idea of volunteering. I've looked up volunteer work for a Saturday only (considering I work full time anyways) and couldnt see anything.

Am fairly productive/efficient person. I do like my time to watch TV (brain switcher off-ers) etc, but sleeping and watching TV on a Sat when there is a whole wide world out there is getting to be a joke.

I love adventure and new things. Someone said to me the the other day that I must not have a lot left on my "bucket list" as I've done a hell of a lot of things in my life. But, yet little do they know my "saturday" plan and isolation.

Is it a bit weird not to have a hobby? I laugh a little (in my head, in disbelief way) when I hear "ohhh Im busy" from people, and Im like "how are ye always busy?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Try volunteering or if youre near dublin or another city theres always things on at the weekend, there was a solidarity dinner with migrants and refugees today, everyone was welcome or theres usually other meetups and get togethers for anyone who wants to join in. Could you go to weekend classes in cooking, yoga, art or something else that interests you? Look up girlcrew on facebook, theyre always setting up events for anyone to get involved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Can you visit family? i try to see my grandparents each weekend.

I am the same as you except i have a boyfriend but he works on Saturdays. i take the time to potter around at home listening to podcasts etc. I get out for really long walks or runs too.

I dont really have a hobby and used to beat myself up about it but then i realised thats ok too. I could have wrote your post!Volunteering can be good but i used to do it ever Saturday after working a full week and it was a bit much and i gave it up - places look for a commitment from you (which is understandable) and it can be a bit much when you work full time.

Have you ever tried surfing? if its something reasonably close by that you could try maybe think about it as its a nice day out, beach, exercise and generally hot guys and girls surf! other sports/activities that might be worth trying - hiking (lots of clubs) and indoor climbing (serious amount of hot people are involved in indoor climbing! and i actually met a lot of really smart, interesting people through it).

But overall i dont think you need to wrack your brains to find something to do - its ok to just exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

ALONE is an example of one charity that would love someone that could do Saturdays as most people prefer evenings Monday to Friday.

Meetup.com has something on in Dublin every single Saturday (not sure where you are based?).

I'm currently single and I spend most Saturdays starting with the Gym and then brunch or spending time on a very leisurely breakfast. I might take my car and go on a day trip, read, use the time to catch up on boxsets, research my next holiday, listen to music. Or if I've time (and I usually don't) I might pop to the cinema for the afternoon.

It makes me sad that you find Saturdays so hard to fill. I hope you find things that you enjoy doing on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Yea-I dont know whats wrong with me.

I was seeing someone, and it didnt work out. Unfortunately. I did like him. But I felt in a way, I was using him in one way as a distraction to parts of a mundane life. And I kept things going longer than I should have, for fear I guess I'd have to go back to a mundane routine. If I've a fuller life, I guess I wouldnt so desperately want someone to quite literally entertain me (for the wrong reasons for myself).

I dont live near Dublin (am in mid-west). I have tried surfing. I have looked up/tried to apply for ALONE (doesnt really work outside Dublin), I'm not into arts. Ive looked up volunteer opportunities. I really did like the idea of ALONE, and visiting people.

Its so weird...because people looking in on my life think Ive this amazing lifestyle. And here I am suffering...I dont feel alone alone. But I do get lonely. Feel like am panicking.

Thanks for reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Best thing I ever did was to join a club.

I net loads of people, went away on lots of weekends and day trips, made some new friends and I've never looked back.

My Saturdays had been boring, like you, dreaming the day away..... . Now, I look forward to heading off with a few friends to the west coast to get fresh air and exercise.

Give it a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

OP you said you tried surfing. I tried learning a few years ago and I realised I much preferred bodyboarding. You can catch waves straightaway and in my opinion it's better fun than surfing. Surfing takes a long time to be good at it and I think it puts people off.
    Anyway bought a board and started BB last summer. Would spend Saturdays catching waves with some new BB & surf friends. Got to see lots of different beaches on little road trips.

If you're not into that, maybe keep searching for a hobby that you click with? There are tons of things to try. There must be something?
    Chess, dancing, yoga, any sport, tag rugby, juggling, cooking, meditation, singing, join a musical society, photography, book club, teach classes to adults & children, knitting, learn an instrument, birdwatching, find a subject you're interested in and read/research all about it, join a music fan club, drumming workshop, join an organic gardening club, DIY - look up net for projects and spend Saturdays making furniture, dressmaking, etc

It's kind of unhealthy to get into a relationship where you're using the other person to stop you from having a mundane life. Although I do see it all the time. You know this though.

It really is healthier to have a full life that you enjoy (for both parties) and then come together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Have you tried using meetup.com plenty of groups around the area doing different activities

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

there are lots of overnight and weekend activities around the country. you could set yourself a goal of doing something every 2nd or 3rd week, you would enjoy your free weekends then as a balance.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

OP you're my twin!

I'm the same age, single, no kids and don't really enjoy my weekends due to lack of stuff to do.

I go out the odd night with friends but when this could cost around €120 each time and a raging hangover the next day, I don't do it too often.
    Plus I'm the only single one of my friends so it's hard to get them together.

A few things I've done to help me get through the boring weekends are:

1. Joined Meetup.com - this has been great. I started by joining a group that met every Saturday morning for a walk and a coffee afterwards. Honestly, the group were a bit older than me but I didn't care as it got me up and out the door on a Saturday. We'd meet at 11am and I normally wouldn't get home until about 3 so it was a good chunk of my day.

After going to this for a while, I decided I'd look at other groups but couldn't find any that suited. As I'm also outside of Dublin, there wasn't a lot of choice. So I started my own.
    It started as a Cinema Group and we'd meet every week or so to see a film...this has progressed now to meeting for dinner and drinks and a few of them are going to a pub quiz tonight. We're also talking about arranging a couple of weekends away in the summer.

Maybe you could try and set your own one up? A Saturday morning walk, or Saturday morning coffee - I bet you'll be surprised at how many people join! I had over 100 members within a couple of weeks, I couldn't believe it.

2. Couch to 5k app. I don't enjoy running really, I was in a running club before and it wasn't for me but the app is good if you prefer to go out alone like me. You could maybe do it during the week after work and then get up on a Saturday morning to do it too. Now it might only take up half an hour but it will have you up, dressed and out the door and you'll feel great from it! Treat yourself after and go for breakfast or into town for lunch.

3. Travel - Now I know you're not going to do this every weekend! But it's nice to have something to plan and look forward to.
    I went to Rome by myself and I'm going to Belgium next week for a long weekend. I'm also planning on going to a few places in Ireland over the summer for a Friday/Saturday night. Being single gives you the freedom to jump in the car or on a coach and go where you want :)
    Staying in hostels is a cheap way of doing so and the best place to meet other people and get chatting.

4. Yoga - this is something I started more for the mental benefits than the physical as I'm interested in meditation etc and I found this a really nice hobby to take up. I don't do a lot of it but just knowing how to do a few poses correctly and some sun salutations is great as you can literally do it anywhere. Getting up in the morning and doing even 20 minutes is great and sets you up for a good day. So could be a good part of a new Saturday morning routine.

With regards to ALONE, there are other organisations that offer similar services. There's one in my local town just for the area so do some googling and you might find something near you that's not through such a large organisation.
    Also maybe try nursing homes, they might have some kind of volunteer scheme - a friend of mine used to go to one on a weekend and sit with the residents, play board games or cards for a couple of hours.

Can I ask, why does Saturday bother you so much but a Sunday doesn't?
    What are you doing to fill a Sunday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Having a bike for long Saturday spins to Wicklow saved me from this very scenario back in my 20's.

Doesn't have to be a bike, but as far as an outlet goes, they're good. You could find a group, join a club, or just enjoy solo spins as I did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

How about hill walking. You could join a group and your whole Saturday would be busy then. Lots of mixedage groups out there.

Join a running club (don't have to be massively into running) they might have a couch to 5k for beginners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

The best thing about an active Saturday running / hiking / climbing / cycling etc is the endorphin-salad that comes with it, which in itself can become something to strive for. A good habit like this can leak out into the rest of your life in beneficial ways.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I feel exactly the same way about Sundays. Saturdays I can fill up with shopping, cleaning etc. but Sunday has always been the most boring day of the week for me.

Unless I have visitors I'm usually on my own, I sometimes just take a drive to a scenic place, go for a walk and have some lunch but it can be lonely.

Friends invite me over quite a bit too but if I'm honest they mostly have kids and I'm gone past the stage of being gooey eyed about kids.

Sometimes I go to the cinema on my own and I enjoy that actually because you can enjoy the movie in peace.

Other than that I listen to a lot of podcasts on radio, do crosswords, try read a bit.

In the winter I did a creative writing class so I usually had a bit of writing to do on a Sunday as well.

Blingy wrote: »
    How about hill walking. You could join a group and your whole Saturday would be busy then. Lots of mixedage groups out there.

Join a running club (don't have to be massively into running) they might have a couch to 5k for beginners.

Just a little warning on hill walking. Some people take it very seriously. I joined a club and it definitely wasn't about getting to know people. Very little chat. So unless you actually have a desire to walk hills I'd be wary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Would love to have a couple of girls to go to Lunch or something with an odd Saturday and things like that. I don't know where you are O.P. but if you've any interest in arranging something sometime pm me. :) Cinema Trips would be nice too. I have tried here n' there and have arranged stuff a handful of times. I do do a few things when I can and when finances allow. I don't hate the weekends now as much as I used to. I just get through them somehow and make the best of relaxing! I do understand that folk with full Calendars that are popular and have loads of friends don't realize how lonely and boring and miserable a time it can be for others.

Somebody did suggest to me to take up Baking and I think it's a great idea and rewarding too! Personally, wouldn't spend my time baking only when I have to, but maybe at some stage I'll get into it more. I can see how it could become a passion though, keep a person busy for a Saturday afternoon and a nice treat to eat at the end! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Might I suggest Geocaching?

It's something I never thought I would enjoy in a million years, but is oddly addictive.
    Great combination of mental stimulation and light to medium physical exercise. Also, you'd be surprised how often you bump into other people who are also randomly circling the same tree trunk as you looking for the cache :pac:

• Advertisement

ShaShaBear wrote:
    Might I suggest Geocaching?

What is this?

pilly wrote: »
    What is this?

Modern-day orienteering. You use your phone as the compass with the app installed. It shows you where the geocaches are in terms of co-ordinates and its up to you to physically locate them. They are usually very well-hidden and when you find them, you mark them on the app and can sign your name and date to the log usually found inside. They can be anything from tightly rolled pieces of paper in bullet casings to notepads in lunchboxes. Some have little gifts inside like buttons, badges etc and some have "trackables" - items that you are meant to move to another geocache, be it in the same county, or a different country! The app listing for each cache usually gives an interesting description of the history of the area and many caches are hidden at "Places of Interest" that you might never have thought to visit only for trying to locate the cache itself. Some are basic, hidden at eye level or lower in an easy to reach area, others might require a boat to reach and some are up mountain/hill treks and often you will find groups of people teaming together to locate a particularly tricky one!

Do I sound like a geek? I feel like I do :D

ShaShaBear wrote:
    Do I sound like a geek? I feel like I do

No, it sounded quite interesting until you got to the mountain climbing bit. :-))

pilly wrote: »
    No, it sounded quite interesting until you got to the mountain climbing bit. :-))

I dont do mountain or hill climbing, but it might be suitable for fitter people who want the physical challenge! I prefer the hunt and search aspect of it!

ShaShaBear wrote:
    I dont do mountain or hill climbing, but it might be suitable for fitter people who want the physical challenge! I prefer the hunt and search aspect of it!

Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

Taking up a musical instrument maybe? I've (re)taken up the guitar and love it. It's something to work towards, a good way to meet new people and fill time.
    If you can find somewhere with group lessons then all the better.

Advertisement