Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liege-Bastogne-Liege 2017 **Contains Spoilers**

Options
  • 22-04-2017 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭

The Springs Classics season for 2017 comes to an end on Sunday with "La Doyenne"
    In what will be a sombre start after Michele Scarponi's untimely death, Astana have confirmed they will be on the start line.

0cec02b705fc482d889f0bae4cde4b99.png
    Valverde will clearly start as deserved favourite but will hopefully face sterner opposition than midweek and the course and finish may improve the chances of more powerful rouleurs likes of Kwiatkowski, Dumoulin, Rui Costa and given his form GvA.
    eba24732ee27426f84f5fe5470b54b0c.png

Irish hopes lie with Dan and we will be hoping for a repeat of 2013(Top) rather than 2014(Bottom)
    24b118668a434cf79a2b7c24414e71cd.png

Personally i am going to go with with Kwiatkowski and my dark horse will be someone from Astana ( Fuglsang??) . I think several teams have the strength to attack with multiple options e.g. Orica (Yates x2 , and Albasini) UAE Emirates (Costa, Ulissi) and Cannondale (Woods, Slagter and Uran).

Despite getting a man in the breakaway during the week , i think Aqua Blue will be looking for an improved performance here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

cunavalos wrote: »
    The Springs Classics season for 2017 comes to an end on Sunday with "La Doyenne"
    In what will be a sombre start after Michele Scarponi's untimely death, Astana have confirmed they will be on the start line.

Personally i am going to go with with Kwiatkowski and my dark horse will be someone from Astana ( Fuglsang??) . I think several teams have the strength to attack with multiple options e.g. Orica (Yates x2 , and Albasini) UAE Emirates (Costa, Ulissi) and Cannondale (Woods, Slagter and Uran).

Despite getting a man in the breakaway during the week , i think Aqua Blue will be looking for an improved performance here.

I'll watch some of it, but it will be with a very heavy heart, I don't really care who wins..........

I'm finding if hard to have the stomach for anything cycling-related after todays tragic news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

The race will certainly have a strange sad vibe and the victory put into perspective certainly.

On the racing side of things, Dan I'd say has every chance and the bookies odds of 2/1 Valverde, 6/1 Dan & Kwiatkowski - I think Dan is closer to Valverde than those odds reflect. Valverde is flying but to go to FlecheWallone, he is basically perfect at putting himself in the right position. Dan year after year seems to show that regardless of how good your legs are, if you don't position yourself right in that race, then you're right up against it. That's largely or comparatively irrelevant in Liege though. Anyway, we'll see. And fair play to GVA for still going for it in the spring classics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

And they're off.
    The breakaway has formed and has 10 minutes on the peloton. Listed in the breakaway are Tiago Machado (Katusha), Anthony Perez and Stéphane Rossetto (Cofidis), Mekseb Debesay (Dimension Data), Bart De Clercq (Lotto Soudal), Nick Van Der Lijke (Roompot), Fabien Grellier (Direct Energie) Aaron Gate (Aqua Blue) and Olivier Pardini (WB Veranclassic)

TV coverage I think on ES from 1pm.

Oh & to add, the women also race the first edition of their Liege-Bastogne-Liege today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭Somedude9

Oh right, shame we won't see any of it though.

Last update before tv coverage

Tiago Machado (Katusha), Anthony Perez and St?phane Rossetto (Cofidis), Mekseb Debesay (Dimension Data), Bart De Clercq (Lotto Soudal), Nick Van Der Lijke (Roompot), Fabien Grellier (Direct Energie) and Aaron Gate (Aqua Blue)'s lead is down to 11'10 at km 127 and Daryl Impey (Orica) has abandoned after a crash

Live updates can be found here
    http://racecenter.liegebastogneliege.fr/#/stageprofile

Somedude9 wrote: »
    Oh right, shame we won't see any of it though.
    Womens race about to finish

Rubbish periscope footage albeit live can be found here
    https://www.pscp.tv/LiegeBastogneL/1DXxyygYOoLxM

Womens Result Spoiler
    1. Anna Van der Breggen
    2. Lizzie Deignan
    3. Kasia Niewiadoma

The exact same podium as in Fleche Wallone midweek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭Somedude9

Up the road Michele

LBL15-Scarponi-Chaves.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

In case anybody is wondering, yes, Bora is available in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Womens Result Spoiler
    1. Anna Van der Breggen
    2. Lizzie Deignan
    3. Kasia Niewiadoma

The exact same podium as in Fleche Wallone midweek
    And last sunday's Amstel as well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Very heavy hearted watching LBL ...

One part of me says it will be between Valverde and Dan Martin

Valverde has offered to give the prize money to Scarponi's family

Another part of me would like to see Cannondale get a win

Uran, Woods or Slagher are possibe;

joujoujou wrote: »
    And last sunday's Amstel as well. :)
    Seeing as Eurosport have confirmed there is no highlights package available for the womens race there is no need for spoilers but there is indeed a common trend in the podium photos from the womens pro peloton this week
    9d73b9fb72ff46abbcccc76d3990a95c.png

Unregistered Users

1.Valverde
    2.Martin
    3.Kwiatkowski

Valverde is taking the piss now. Well done to Dan Martin, great effort!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Well done Dan. He did his best and attacked but got caught by you know who.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Valverde, Rider of the season so far??? Probably... just ahead of GVA and Gilbert.

Can't fault Dan. Great effort & didn't hang about but went for it. I thought Kwiatkowski should have ridden Flanders same as Gilbert, & though 3rd, he wasn't at the level of teh front 2.

Unregistered Users

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Valverde, Rider of the season so far??? Probably Undisputed... just ahead of GVA and Gilbert.

Fixed your post. ;)

• Advertisement

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but Dan may have gone a little too early but chapeau for having the balls to go for it and clearly the best of the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Valverde is taking the piss now. Well done to Dan Martin, great effort!

Why? It's only here that I am reading or seeing Q's as to Valverde's form, which is blatant speculation from what I see

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Why? It's only here that I am reading or seeing Q's as to Valverde's form, which is blatant speculation from what I see

From cyclingnews forums, don't think it's just here:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

So- after 260km, 4000m+ climbing, 6 and a half hours of hard racing, and aggressive riding in the finale, Valverde just casually closes a gap to Dan Martin, saunters around him and starts celebrating about 100m from the end, while everybody else collapses over the line exhausted. As a cyclist myself who is feeling the pinch age-wise, I'm wondering how to get better as I get older, just like Alejandro. He is some operator.
    For one of the 'monuments' there was about 5 minutes of interesting stuff there- the rest, including the result, is of not much interest to me. Disappointing race to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but Dan may have gone a little too early but chapeau for having the balls to go for it and clearly the best of the rest.

If he had waited maybe another 100 metres or so that would have been ideal. He needed to get a gap on Valverde and the rest and not allow them the time to react and close the gap. BUT somebody else would have attacked if Dan didn't and that would have scuppered his plans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

If he had waited maybe another 100 metres or so that would have been ideal. He needed to get a gap on Valverde and the rest and not allow them the time to react and close the gap. BUT somebody else would have attacked if Dan didn't and that would have scuppered his plans.

Lads, it's irrelevant. Valverde was good to go another 50k and 1000m more climbing by the look of him. Well ahead at the end

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Inquitus wrote: »
    From cyclingnews forums, don't think it's just here:

That's hardly proof. Donald Trump could tweet that at 4am and it would still be uncorroborated / Fake News :D

I stopped watching cycling cos of the dirty stuff for years & came back to it willing to give the benefit of the doubt. Otherwise for me what'd be the point. I recognise & feel it myself how should one see Valverde but wishing to stay true to my own position, I've been saying it for a couple of years, in terms of all-round one-day cycling & stage racing he's the greatest cyclist in the world. No question. None of the other big GC riders were even in this race! And his appetite for success is enormous. Obviously though I've no idea what the reality is.

So hoping it's all deserved, & I suppose fair play to him, & obviously nice to see the genuineness of his words on Scarponi there.

On Dan's side of things I don't think there's any reasonable criticism of him here. I don't think he could have beaten Valverde once he was there with him at the death, he looked so strong. Dan comfortbaly distanced everyone else there & like say Sagan in MilanSanRemo, it's the manner of the ride too rather than just the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    That's hardly proof. Donald Trump could tweet that at 4am and it would still be uncorroborated / Fake News :D

There's no proof until he gets caught again, if indeed he does or is indeed cheating, you just said you only read negative stuff about it here, it's everywhere online, not a boards.ie thing, obviously that doesn't mean it's true, you have to draw your own conclusions. The fact he's already had a 2 year doping ban is noteworthy though.

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

Actual World Tour Top 10, if anyone's interested:

1. GVA - 2528
    2. Valverde - 1995
    3. Kwiatkowski - 1701
    4. Gilbert - 1670
    5. Sagan - 1245
    6. D. Martin - 1215
    7. Henao - 1152
    8. Contador - 1143