Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4.5 year gap in CV - What to do?

Options
  • 22-04-2017 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi everyone, I am looking for your advice re what to do in terms of applying for a new job and your input would be gratefully appreciated!

I have quite high level project management type experience but I have not been working, except in little jobs here and there for the past 4 and a half years.

I am wondering if you might give me some advice as to what approach to take in applying for new roles.....

1) Should I apply to roles similar to those I used to work in or is the gap in my CV going to make my application null and void?
    2)How should I cover the gap in my CV? Would it be ok to say that I left to pursue areas of personal interest and to cover up the gaps as best I can?
    3) Would you think it would be better to do a functional type CV where I would weight my experience in different areas over the traditional chronological CV?
    4)Would it be ok to still use referees from my job 4.5 years ago?

Thanks a mill for taking the time to read this post and any input you could give me would be greatly appreciated!

Vmagu

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

I think it depends on what the 4.5 year gap was. Were you travelling or staying at home looking after the kids or in prison?

Obviously it's not that simple, but the reason you have the gap is what needs to be explained, not the gap itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Why don't you put something like "2013-2017 small projects, multiple agencies" or words to that effect. It's true, from what you said already. If they ask why your reference is from 4.5 years ago just say the projects were all short so they didn't get to know you very well. Is there anyone from that 4.5 years that could do a reference for you? That would look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

It's a very healthy job market out there for project managers, so construct your CV with a long profile sections with examples of the projects you worked on and then follow with the chronological stuff on the second page.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

Such a long gap in relevant employment is going to become apparent very quickly during the first interview, regardless of how you structure your CV, so you will need to be prepared to field that question well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 vmagu

OU812 wrote: »
    I think it depends on what the 4.5 year gap was. Were you travelling or staying at home looking after the kids or in prison?

Obviously it's not that simple, but the reason you have the gap is what needs to be explained, not the gap itself.

Thanks so much for your response OU812 and so sorry for not responding till now. You're so right that I needed to explain the reason for the gap.

• Advertisement

skallywag wrote: »
    Such a long gap in relevant employment is going to become apparent very quickly during the first interview, regardless of how you structure your CV, so you will need to be prepared to field that question well.

Skallywag, sorry for not getting back to you till now and indeed you're right you were right that the gap needed to be explained.

Diziet wrote: »
    It's a very healthy job market out there for project managers, so construct your CV with a long profile sections with examples of the projects you worked on and then follow with the chronological stuff on the second page.

So sorry Diziet for not getting back to you to thank you at the time for your input and good advice.

Why don't you put something like "2013-2017 small projects, multiple agencies" or words to that effect. It's true, from what you said already. If they ask why your reference is from 4.5 years ago just say the projects were all short so they didn't get to know you very well. Is there anyone from that 4.5 years that could do a reference for you? That would look good.

Thanks so much xfactorfan for your great feedback! So sorry that I never got back to you at the time but I appreciate your feedback nonetheless!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

You will have to embellish your cv. I'm not saying put down "lion timer, south africa, 2 years" or anything :pac:
    But when it comes to interviews and gaps of employment a lot of employers will naturally think you are lazy unless a good valid reason is provided (even if that reason is not exactly the truth) Otherwise there are a lot of employers who will simply pass on you because they think you will be gone in 2 months and back to the dole or whatever.

Here's some examples:
    - Back to education (even part time) > You can say how you went back to college for two years to study something else. Upon completing it you fully accepted that this field was not for you. pro: explains gap and comes off as you stick things through.

- Sounds crazy but I know people who've said they worked for a company that's now gone. Knew someone who said they worked in Chartbusters to cover a gap! What's an employer to do?
    Pro: covers the gap. Con: shouldn't be used as your most recent employment. Works best when you have a reference from a more recent job employers can check out. This just becomes padding then.

- embellish your project management jobs more. Say around 2014-2015. Add more little jobs. Don't blow them out to much. Aim of the game is to add to you or pad you out and not make an employee say "you have a reference for that?"

Be creative.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

A 4.5 year gap is going to stand out like a sore thumb. And that is fine, but you need to have a reasonable explanation for it.

So long as you do, it will not be a barrier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭piplip87

If you don't mind a little fib. A Lotto win I spent the time travelling exploring the world and did a few small projects in between.

Advertisement