Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless light switch

Options
  • 22-04-2017 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi all

I have 4 spot lights providing light for my kitchen. The switch to these is a distance away in the dining area.

I would like another switch in the actual kitchen. As I don t want to be rooting up walls installing a wireless switch has entered my thoughts.

Does anybody have experience? Would such work in this situation?

G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭J.R.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 gerard 180

J.R. wrote: »
    Thanks for Link JR. I m still not sure if this will work in my situation-one standard switch controlling the 4 spots, and one wireless switch controlling the 4 spots. Anyone any knowledge re any issues here? Re the wireless I think I would need 1 receiver behind each spot. Hopefully these are small and easy to fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Look up Philips hue.

Lamps would need to be WiFi enabled compatible and you can get motion sensors, wireless switch/dimmer.

Lamps are led and white or colour.

You can control all lights from your phone or tablet also.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 gerard 180

Look up Philips hue.

Lamps would need to be WiFi enabled compatible and you can get motion sensors, wireless switch/dimmer.

Lamps are led and white or colour.

You can control all lights from your phone or tablet also.
    Many thanks for that. Reading up about those punisher5112. Blown away by the technology. If I m correct all I d have to do is change 4 spots to 4 WiFi enabled and grab my control and I m away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Hue stuff needs a hub to get the best out of the lights and motions sensors etc. I think you can directly control lights with just a dimmer switch. Best read up on it as they are relatively expensive.
    I'd go for white ambiance rather than colour in the kitchen.

A word of warning, that system is addictive. I started with one or two in high traffic areas triggered by motions sensors, now there's only one or two 'normal' lights left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

gerard 180 wrote: »
    Many thanks for that. Reading up about those punisher5112. Blown away by the technology. If I m correct all I d have to do is change 4 spots to 4 WiFi enabled and grab my control and I m away?

Its very addictive and osram and few other makes do similar.

I went a bit mad and have a hue go, dimmer x2 with lamp x2 in box one used.
    Sensor haven't set up yet and a load of 3rd gen colour lamps.

The bridge controls everything and you can still use as Normal lights as in switch on/off.

You are right in your guess once bridge is linked.
    You can then dim and set timers and all sorts from a phone or tablet.

I have these along with full heating control through netatamo. Its real handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

There is a unit that phibsboro Electrical have, one wireless unit in line with the spot and as many switches as you like no batteries it cables needed at the switch.

I've the hue system myself, it's not the answer here IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

gerard 180 wrote: »

Prepare for your wallet to be empty a lot.

http://touch.boards.ie/forum/1777

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

gerard 180 wrote:

It would be best to have one unit before all the four spots.
    Philips don't have an inline unit , they may never have as they want you buying their hue lamps at 25 pounds each for life.

They are great for one lamp per fitting situations, but if you have a single unit with four spots they are not great.

Look at the Ikea lighting range too. Or pop over to the home automation forum.

Advertisement