Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

take in window boxes/hanging baskets if frost/low temps next week?

Options
  • 23-04-2017 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

Appears we are in for some low temps next week with the risk of frost ( http://www.rte.ie/weather/ )
    would it be necessary to bring in (for eg to the garden shed) window boxes and hanging baskets? They are only out since the easter bk Monday ( they were pre made up ones if that helps)
    Or would they be ok left out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I dunno. I am wondering the same thing. I think I will bring mine in. A bit of a pain but better then finding them all ruined

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭cathy427

Thanks

Is mid/late April just to early to put out hanging baskets?

This year even the May bk weekend might be too early?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

cathy427 wrote: »
    Thanks

Is mid/late April just to early to put out hanging baskets?

This year even the May bk weekend might be too early?

I'm no expert but I think next year I will wait til May to plant them. I took mine in again tonight. The newly sprouted Sunflower seeds seem fine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

I've been doing my baskets for over 20yrs. Usually don't put them up until the beginning of June, maybe last week in May. Too many times I've gotten caught out with a hard nights frost in early/mid May and burnt/stunted the growth. They were never right for the rest of the year.

Advertisement