Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Most Reliable Authorized Repair Center for an iPhone Screen

Options
  • 23-04-2017 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

My iPhone 7+ screen got smashed this evening hitting the street surface even under its tempered glass protector.

I learned that opening the device would break the splash-proof glue that comes with iPhone 7+.
    It is under warranty and I would not like to have it replaced by a third-party, however I am left with not-super-pleasant options:

1. The Apple Store Belfast, which was a very unpleasant experience for me before, and reading reviews, most of people have been complaining about the same issues I'd experienced, but I never got anything fixed there, so I don't know how careful they are in fixing items as they are short staffed and always in rush to get things done ASAP.
    2. CompuB Dublin is listed as authorized, but a few years ago they pointed me to a third-party on Grafton street as they wouldn't do repairs themselves. I don't know if this has changed or not.
    3. iConnect - I've only been there once and have never bought or had anything repaired there.
    4. Machtivate Blanchardstown - Never heard of them before.
    5. Mail-in Service - No idea where they send the phone and how long it takes
    6. The carried (Three) - is that right?

Ignoring the horrible experience with Apple Belfast, I'd rather get this fixed at an Apple Store, but I am seriously concerned that the service provided by them may turn out to be crap.

Does anyone have any experience and any recommendations which one to go for?

Which Apple Authorized Center to Replace a Broken Screen? Read the post for concerns 8 votes

Apple Store Victoria Square Belfast - short staffed and negative experience
    0% 0 votes
    CompuB Dublin
    62% 5 votes
    iConnect Dublin
    12% 1 vote
    Mactivate Blanchardstown
    0% 0 votes
    Mail-in Repair (Posting the phone)
    12% 1 vote
    The phone carrier (Three)
    12% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

The mail in option can be very fast. There is a replacement options. Basically, Apple put a hold of 800 on your credit card, and send you out a new phone. When they get back your old phone, they deduct the cost of the repair from the 800.

I actually broke the screen on my 7 last week. It went off to CompuB yesterday. I think they just facilitate a repair back to Apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭iniall

I was told by Apple during the week that they no longer do the express replacement service unless you're an AppleCare customer. I've had an issue with my iPhone 7 battery since I got it. They told me that I could send it back to Three (who would send it to Apple), bring it to Compu B or they (Apple) would send a box for it and I would be without my phone for up to 7 days. Very disappointing experience talking to them.

As I can't not have a phone for 7 days, I think I'll have to take a trip to Belfast and hope that the experience isn't too awful...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Mr.S wrote: »
    Strange though, I don't have Applecare and I just did a replacement service for an iPad screen and the courier express option was there - either DHL collect from you on the spot, or they provide you with a box and then you arrange courier collection.

I assume this was express shipping rather than express replacement which requires AppleCare. The shipping is generally the slowest part of the whole process - my send-in repair took a week (or a week and half if you count waiting on the box to arrive) but Apple only had it for 12 hours - so I can understand them offering this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Deal with Apple direct either go to Belfast or mail in repair. I'd avoid the rest like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Hiddden

Ok... After a hard effort and hours of investigation and receiving tons of random answers, I've concluded:

1. All iOS devices are sent to an Apple repair center even if they're taken to any of the Apple Authorized places such as CompuB, iConnect, etc. They do repair MacBooks themselves though.
    2. When the authorized centers OR mail-in service is requested, the phone is normally posted to the mainland UK or Netherlands.
    3. The express shipping is not available as mentioned above, but they do charge a whole out of warranty price of 411.30 euros when you request the mail-in, and they then refund you the rest if it's just the screen or whatever else.

Just posting it here for anyone else's notice in case needed, but I do appreciate further info/personal experience/feedback on the topic. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Oxter

Was the phone in a protective case when it fell?

You mention a tempered screen protector but not a case.

Not off to a good start with CompuB. Dropped it in on Saturday. They only posted it off to Apple yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭shanec1928

chrislad wrote: »
    Not off to a good start with CompuB. Dropped it in on Saturday. They only posted it off to Apple yesterday.
    they are a nightmare to deal with. my first and last time using them i had to intervene and go direct to apple to get any information after i spent a few weeks chasing compub up.

For people who've sent their phones to Apple, either directly or via a retailer, how do you cope without your phone for (as I was told) up to 7 days?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

iniall wrote: »
    For people who've sent their phones to Apple, either directly or via a retailer, how do you cope without your phone for (as I was told) up to 7 days?

I used an old iPhone 5 which I thankfully still had. As the experience taught me, having a backup phone is essential with the iPhone in Ireland because any problem involves sending the phone away for a 1-2 weeks, possibly longer if Apple have a shortage of parts. Anything, even a cheap Android will do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭whippet

just to add to this thread .. there is no certified apple iOS repair centres in ireland.

Apple do not 'repair' iOS devices.

Apple will replace damaged / faulty devices .. either for a set charge out of warranty or warranty replacement.

The Authorised Apple service centres in ireland do repair MacOS devices in house with parts ordered directly from Apple.

Anyone who repairs an iOS device is not authorised by apple and source their parts from a vast array of supply options ... none which are 'official' apple parts - as apple do not offer this service.

If you have a device for repair and want to go the official route .. best bet is either an Apple Store (if they have stock to replace) or directly with apple over the phone / web etc.

I used an old iPhone 5 which I thankfully still had. As the experience taught me, having a backup phone is essential with the iPhone in Ireland because any problem involves sending the phone away for a 1-2 weeks, possibly longer if Apple have a shortage of parts. Anything, even a cheap Android will do.

Ending the express replacement makes no sense in Ireland. Effectively Apple are punishing us for not having an Apple Store.

iniall wrote: »
    Ending the express replacement makes no sense in Ireland. Effectively Apple are punishing us for not having an Apple Store.

Agreed but I guess they are pushing AppleCare+, which I'll probably get next time. It's worth it just for the accidental damage cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Oxter wrote: »
    Was the phone in a protective case when it fell?

You mention a tempered screen protector but not a case.

Looks like you answered your own question Sherlock. We don't usually answer questions with a question here.

Arrived back yesterday from compuB. Fairly decent service. 6 working days so happy enough with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,747 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I was on holidays in the US last year, I had two phones, both iPhones, one screen had damage to a part of the screen but worked.
    Decided to get it fixed in the US, went to this repair shop in Austin that I had seen get really good reviews.
    A new screen was fitted, in and out in 25 minutes for $99.
    I had been quoted €160 here for an iPhone 6 Plus screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭nc6000

I've just been quoted €161.30 to have the screen replaced in my daughter's iPhone SE. Crazy stuff! I can't understand how a screen for an SE costs as much as a screen for an iPhone 6 or 7.

nc6000 wrote: »
    I've just been quoted €161.30 to have the screen replaced in my daughter's iPhone SE. Crazy stuff! I can't understand how a screen for an SE costs as much as a screen for an iPhone 6 or 7.

Technically, they don't replace the screen. They send out a whole new phone so it's not really a price for a screen repair as such.

Went to Belfast at the weekend with my phone, having made a Genius Bar appointment. Have to say, despite the store being very busy on Saturday, I was looked after really well. The guy checked the phone out, tried a few diagnostics and eventually offered to replace it. Naturally, I said yes. All done in about 20 minutes.

As it happens, the replacement phone had a flaw in the screen, so I had to go back on spec on the Sunday. I showed the phone to a staff member and immediately got another replacement. The second visit only took 5 minutes. I was a bit unlucky that the first replacement was flawed, but I can't fault the Apple Store staff for service.

Meanwhile, I had emailed the guy I've been dealing with in Apple Support in Cork to say that their send-in repair options weren't at all practical (how can anyone spend up to 7 days without their phone??), but he hasn't bothered replying yet.

There really is no substitute for an Apple Store. What a pity there isn't one in Dublin...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Just smashed the screen on my phone. Still in warranty. I'm not going to Belfast to get it done.
    Can someone please advise the post option please.
    I have an iPhone 5 phone so dont mind being without the 6s for a week or so.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Just smashed the screen on my phone. Still in warranty. I'm not going to Belfast to get it done.
    Can someone please advise the post option please.
    I have an iPhone 5 phone so dont mind being without the 6s for a week or so.

Have you got AppleCare+? They won't cover it under warranty if you smashed the screen, and its an expensive repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

whippet wrote: »
    just to add to this thread .. there is no certified apple iOS repair centres in ireland.

Apple do not 'repair' iOS devices.

Apple will replace damaged / faulty devices .. either for a set charge out of warranty or warranty replacement.

The Authorised Apple service centres in ireland do repair MacOS devices in house with parts ordered directly from Apple.

Anyone who repairs an iOS device is not authorised by apple and source their parts from a vast array of supply options ... none which are 'official' apple parts - as apple do not offer this service.

If you have a device for repair and want to go the official route .. best bet is either an Apple Store (if they have stock to replace) or directly with apple over the phone / web etc.

Apple do repair ios devices..hell I've sent in the same iphone 6s plus twice for broken screens and they've sent the same phone back to me on both occasions.
    You only get a replacement device if you have applecare or the phone is badly damaged etc. I jhave gotten previous phones replaced for broken screens but they've been badly smashed.
    As regards compub I find dropping on a saturday means they post off either the monday or tuesday but you'll have the phone by the same day the following week so not bad at all.
    Also Apple are sending out their ios screen replacement machine to over 400 repairers in 25 countries so a 15 minute replacement would be awesome :)

https://9to5mac.com/2017/06/07/iphone-repair-machine-photos-availability/

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Oxter

Perhaps the mods should make a sticky - There are no authorised iPhone repair Centre's in Ireland, the only iOS Centre's here are for iPad and iPods.

This topic appears regularly.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Oxter wrote: »
    Perhaps the mods should make a sticky - There are no authorised iPhone repair Centre's in Ireland, the only iOS Centre's here are for iPad and iPods.

This topic appears regularly.

There used to be one; it was ignored and the question was still asked regularly.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭pmce4

chrislad wrote: »
    Technically, they don't replace the screen. They send out a whole new phone so it's not really a price for a screen repair as such.

Actually this is not always true I had my iphone 7 returned to me with a new screen just yesterday. It probably depends on the stock they have at the time.
    I used the return to apple system and was originally being quoted over 400 euros but this was changed by a service agent using the webchat option and it was then 157 euros.
    dropped the phone to UPS on the 4th aug and received repaired phone on the 14th not bad when a bank holiday as also in this time scale.

Advertisement