Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary teacher stuck in limbo

Options
  • 23-04-2017 2:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi ..any help greatly appreciated.

I achieved a primary teaching pgce in the UK and am a qualified to work in the UK. However I did not complete my 1 year uk compulsory teaching position that would have allowed me to register for teaching in ireland. I have completed some supply work in london but it does not count towards the 1 year teaching post.

I had to return to ireland due to family reasons and I find myself at a crossroads as to what to do. I want to teach in ireland but can't now return to the UK to finish off that 1 year teaching post because of family reasons. I still want to teach in ireland. I paid 9 grand for this degree.. and I am devestated that I'm in this situation. Does anybody know are there ways around this rule.. I would consider anything. Besides this degree I only have an arts degree..and I just don't know what other career path I could follow... Can anyone provide information please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Is the teaching council only giving you conditional registration and your time is up for meeting the conditions? I think you can apply for an extension under certain circumstances. Have you tried applying for work up North in the meantime and getting registered with the gtcni?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 gilderbeast

So you completed and passed your PGCE? And you didn't do your NQT year? Well I did my H dip in Ireland and my NQT year in EnglAnd so I assume that you can do the opposite? I think you can get conditional registration with the teaching council and do your NQT year here. It involves working and doing some workshops in the evenings. You need to contact the Teaching Council ASAP. Remember that we pay dues to them and they can give us advice. I had some communication issues with them before and when I pointed this out to them and threatened them with my local TD they gave me the answers I needed. If your not happy telephone phone them and ask for their supervisors/ managers and talk to someone who knows what they are doing. Teachers need to stand up for themselves more! Sorry about the rant but I feel that teachers lack support from the authorities and we often don't know our options.

So you completed and passed your PGCE? And you didn't do your NQT year? Well I did my H dip in Ireland and my NQT year in EnglAnd so I assume that you can do the opposite? I think you can get conditional registration with the teaching council and do your NQT year here. It involves working and doing some workshops in the evenings. You need to contact the Teaching Council ASAP. Remember that we pay dues to them and they can give us advice. I had some communication issues with them before and when I pointed this out to them and threatened them with my local TD they gave me the answers I needed. If your not happy telephone phone them and ask for their supervisors/ managers and talk to someone who knows what they are doing. Teachers need to stand up for themselves more! Sorry about the rant but I feel that teachers lack support from the authorities and we often don't know our options.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

If you qualified in 2012 or afterwards there is no way around the stipulation from the teaching council that probation must be completed in the country in which you obtained your qualification. This they will not budge on.

And what about the hundreds of NQT's who leave Ireland to do their NQT Year in England? I just filled out a few forms and I am now fully registered. Surely it works the other way around too?

• Advertisement

Ok. I searched the Teaching councils website (it only took two minutes to find!) and I'm wrong. You must complete the NQT year in England if you did a PGCE there. Seems unfair that we can do it the other way around but I guess they have a shortage of teachers in England and we don't. What about moving to Northern Ireland for a year? At least you could get home more often...???

Advertisement