Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skirting on stairs

Options
  • 23-04-2017 9:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

What would the cost be to get a carpenter to make and fit skirting for a stairs on an staircase of average semi-d following something like this video https://youtu.be/vzeEiKAceMA ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Is there not already a wall string on the average 4 bed semi detached house in that case just rip down what ever mould is on the proposed skirting and plant it on top of the wall string matching it in with the skirting top and bottom
    Or is there a concrete stairs in the house

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

Here is how it currently looks. I have never seen skirting on a stairs finished like this before.

20161215_091719.jpg

It's in a new build timber frame house. Apparently the staircase is embedded into the wall. The thin bit of timber is to hide the join line between the staircase and the plaster board above it.

I was expecting it to look like the pic below. Where it goes all the way down to the steps and blends in to skirting on both floors. What would it cost to retrofit this?

1412625429324.jpg

Prob about 4hrs work in it all going well
    Involving cutting a blank piece to suit the shape of the stairs then rip a lenght of skirting mould and planting that on top to continue the mould from hall to landing.
    Cost wise depends on the local rates of Carpenters in your area some where between 100 -200 € labour only

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

That's not too bad. I thought it would be a really time consuming job to scribe skirting for staircase.

The skirting above and below the stairs will need to be taken off and recut to blend in with stairs skirting. Is this possible to do without damaging the plaster? If plaster gets damaged guessing I'll need to get whole wall plastered and painted again.

Nothing a bit of touch up would sort out as the stair skirting will have to be filled and painted afterwards anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement