Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Section 35.....Predator / vermin shooting licence

Options
  • 23-04-2017 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭

Predator Control And The Law

http://nargc.ie/predator-control-and-the-law/

Section 35 also makes the use of decoys for crows, including grey crow and magpie, illegal without a license. Artificial decoys can only be used for the purpose of hunting ducks, geese and woodpigeon. If you wish to use decoys for grey crow, magpie or fox, you must apply for a specific licence under Section 35 of the Wildlife Acts 1976 to 2012.

Has anybody here ever applied for a Section 35 licence to:

• call foxes
    • use crow, greycrow, magpie caller
    • use crow, greycrow, magpie decoys
    • shooting greycrow, magpie nests

If so, is it a lot of hassle?....are they easily obtained?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

J.R. wrote:
    Has anybody here ever applied for a Section 35 licence to:

No even during the silage season I'd shoot a couple of crows and prop them the old way with a v stick under their neck

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Another law that makes no sense.

Illegal to use decoys, but perfectly legal to sell them. Like deer callers, you see them in some shops for sale, but they're illegal to use.

If they wanted to enforce this then they would make buying decoys (crows, greys, etc) subject to providing a license. Like ammo.

I've never heard of anyone applying for a license. TBH i doubt even a small percentage of people know this exists. If you asked people the majority would say there is no such thing, some would say under derogation only, and a tiny, tiny percentage would actually know it exits.

The wildlife act is full of little gems like this. Sometimes the more you know the harder it is to justify keeping at the sport.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭philmire

Cass wrote: »

Illegal to use decoys, but perfectly legal to sell them. Like deer callers, you see them in some shops for sale, but they're illegal to use.

If they wanted to enforce this then they would make buying decoys (crows, greys, etc) subject to providing a license. Like ammo.

I've never heard of anyone applying for a license. TBH i doubt even a small percentage of people know this exists. If you asked people the majority would say there is no such thing, some would say under derogation only, and a tiny, tiny percentage would actually know it exits.

The wildlife act is full of little gems like this. Sometimes the more you know the harder it is to justify keeping at the sport.

You can use them for photography that's why they can be sold is what I've been told

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

Illegal to use decoys, but perfectly legal to sell them.

What I think is crazy is that you can buy & use decoys for game birds - ducks, geese & pigeons but cannot use decoys for vermin- rooks, jackdaws, greycrows, magpies or fox.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

Another law that makes no sense.........The wildlife act is full of little gems like this. Sometimes the more you know the harder it is to justify keeping at the sport.

Exactly - similar situation exists where Bird Derogation says you can shoot rooks, jackdaws, grey crows, magpies & pigeons with a rifle but the Wildlife Act states you cannot.

http://nargc.ie/sony-rx100-iii-bets-a-better-lens/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

J.R. wrote:
    Exactly - similar situation exists where Bird Derogation says you can shoot rooks, jackdaws, grey crows, magpies & pigeons with a rifle but the Wildlife Act states you cannot.

I've heard that rubbish spouted before.

However it's a derogation to allow control and derogation means " an exemption from or relaxation of a rule or law"....therefore I'll apply the methods of control set out in the derogation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

philmire wrote: »
    You can use them for photography that's why they can be sold is what I've been told
    Strange that,I've yet to see decoys for sale in any camera shop

J.R. wrote: »
    What I think is crazy is that you can buy & use decoys for game birds - ducks, geese & pigeons but cannot use decoys for vermin- rooks, jackdaws, greycrows, magpies or fox.

They are not vermin, legally. They have a season too, and then under derogation.

There is no vermin list or even the term vermin. It's a word we use to describe any bird/animal outside of the protection of the wildlife act (or more accurately that has a year round season and no need for a license).
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

They are not vermin, legally. They have a season too, and then under derogation.

There is no vermin list or even the term vermin. It's a word we use to describe any bird/animal outside of the protection of the wildlife act (or more accurately that has a year round season and no need for a license).

After looking on the NPWS website at the list of open seasons I cannot find any open season for jackdaws, rooks and magpies. It appears that they can only be shot under derogation. The woodpigeon is the only bird I've found that can be shot under derogation and has an open season.

We have a post in the hunting forum outlining the various shooting seasons.

• Advertisement
Advertisement