Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's your unpopular football opinion?

1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I think the argument for Maradona being head and shoulders above Messi in Argentina is fairly clear why in two points.

Maradona delivered a WC for Argentina. Where as Higuain failed to deliver one for Messi and Argentina.

And then Messi has been in Barcelona since he was 13. Argentinians probably feel like they don’t have a connection with Messi as they did with Maradona. Which is fairly understandable and one i can relate to as I see it in myself with the Irish soccer team.

With regards to Messi not performing in the latter stages of the CL.. he scored one of the great solo goals in a champions league semi final against Madrid at Madrid? I think he scored 3 across that tie, but I’m not sure. He got MOTM in the final against United in 2011 and scored in the final in ‘09? He also scored 2 against Liverpool in the first leg last year and I seem to remember him destroying Bayern Munich another year. I think he’s more then performed at the latter stages.

Had Messi chosen to play for Spain instead of Argentina this wouldn’t even be a debate.

I referencing more latterly. Pretty much since the great Barca team started to break up. Scoring in the first leg vs Liverpool doesn't mean too much when they got hockeyed in Anfield. And he looked dejected-Ronaldo would have summoned a goal out of nowhere in the circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I referencing more latterly. Pretty much since the great Barca team started to break up. Scoring in the first leg vs Liverpool doesn't mean too much when they got hockeyed in Anfield. And he looked dejected-Ronaldo would have summoned a goal out of nowhere in the circumstances.

Did Ronaldo and Juve make the final of the CL last season?

Liverpool are a great side. Barcelona are a disjointed one. Messi failing to drag them over the line himself should not be used against him, imo. Messi did not go missing.

People need to divorce ability and performances from whether a team win a team game. Just as winning the CL doesn't make Jersper Blomqvist a world class player, not winning the CL doesn't mean a player should be judged for it.

Look at the performance level of the player and judge on that, and that alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

I prefer watching football without the crowd noise tbh. I like being able to hear the on-pitch talk between the players and the dug-out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭Worztron

I preferred the PL from the 1990s. (unsure if that's unpopular to say)

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Advertisement