Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's your unpopular football opinion?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

JamboMac wrote:
    2013 is 4 years ago, I'm in 2017 are you posting from the future?

Yes. Are you not?

The whole big club opinion is as stupid as the who is world class opinion.

Fact is if the club us big globally and we'll known. Then they are a big club.

It's simple logic that requires no ambiguity.

I mean are Leicester all of a sudden bigger than Liverpool or united?

I'm sure most of Asia and the states would disagree

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Mr.H wrote: »
    The whole big club opinion is as stupid as the who is world class opinion.

Fact is if the club us big globally and we'll known. Then they are a big club.

It's simple logic that requires no ambiguity.

I mean are Leicester all of a sudden bigger than Liverpool or united?

I'm sure most of Asia and the states would disagree

"big globally and well known" is about the most ambiguous thing I've heard this year.

Ormus wrote:
    "big globally and well known" is about the most ambiguous thing I've heard this year.

So if you did a survey in a random country of 10 or 15 of the biggest teams in Europe. That wouldn't be a telling point?

Surely numbers of fans, recognition by footballing fans and merchandise sales are a better measuring of "a big club" than someone's opinion that after year x they are no longer a big club.......

By the way it's rhetorical.

Marketing 101 says I am correct.

You can only judge what a big club is by on well known it is. Just like any sport or business. It's about how known and how popular. Anything other than that is nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Hughes gave Elano plenty of opportunity. Obviously Robinho had to be played. You can blame the Sheiks for that, the men who turned that club to the team they are today s. Craig Bellamy and other City players at the time revealed a lot about the City's Brazilian contingent that season.

Elano was castigated in former clubs for similar behaviour.

He appeared in near a half century of games under Hughes that season.

The team was never going to be built around him. Also he wasn't a world beater the season before.

You're repeating yourself good sir

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

You're repeating yourself good sir

says the poster who never shuts up with the same repeated (nonsense!) schtick about a certain Portuguese player amongst other topics!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

says the poster who never shuts up with the same repeated (nonsense!) schtick about a certain Portuguese player amongst other topics!!

It was more a wondering if you were waiting on a reply. I was just going to say it will have to wait till tomorrow as I'm heading to the pub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

My unpopular opinion is that I don't want to see video technology creeping into the refereeing of football matches.

The reason I love playing and watching football is to savour the spectacle of a SPORT. Not a war, not a financial transaction, not a referendum debate - A SPORT. I don't care if a few decisions are wrong during a game, as long as the referee is honestly trying to officiate the game fairly.

I want cameras in banks, in parliament, in areas where pickpockets and thieves operate. I dont want to see the flow of a football match being interrupted so we can go to the 2nd referee and have a little debate about every penalty box incident. If a ref is honest his errors will naturally balance out over 90 minutes.

FIFA officials may be a bag of self-entitled chancers who enrich themselves readily, but I have to agree with their stance on protecting the SPORT that is football by not diluting its primal attraction of being a free flowing game that benefits from mimimal authoritarian interruptions from outside the 4 corner flags.

Keep football a human sport of endeavor, and let the other non-flow sports of american football and rugby etc enjoy their little breaks for anal slow-mo deliberations.

Edit: I agree with goal-line technology to determine if a ball has crossed the line as this does not interrupt the game and is a quick beneficial aid to the ref

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Many soccer fans and experts partly view players based on national stereotypes.
    Paulie Woods from USA?
    Fan: Something something donkey!
    Pablo Del Bosque from Argentina?
    Fan: Something something technical ability!

They don't know squat about soccer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

The transfer window should only be open during preseason, and shut before the opening game of the season. I'd include the hiring of managers too.

The primary purpose would be to ensure that no club faces a significantly stronger opposition in a tie than another. For example, were Liverpool to have signed Sanchez in August before they had played Arsenal, Liverpool would face a weaker Arsenal side than anyone who had already faced them. Similarly anyone who played Crystal Palace since Big Sam arrived and signed Sahko etc has faced a stronger Palace than others who played them before. That leads to an inherent advantage.

Take Chelsea signing Torres in January a few seasons ago, days before they played Liverpool. Chelsea, by virtue of having money, faced a weaker Liverpool than other clubs had, which gave them an advantage over their title rivals that season.

No transfer window would see Clubs look to youth rather than new signings in January, giving younger players a chance. It would also give coaches at clubs the opportunity to step up as manager should a club decide upon a change and can't hire during the season.

It would cut down on the numerous sackings, and give managers time to develop players. A manager who knows he has a full season is far more likely to take a chance with younger players than a manager who could be sacked in a few games.

I think this would be a far fairer system, and also cut down on the amount of transfer nonsens you hear all season. When things aren't going well on the pitch, more money seems to be the only solution offered. Perhaps a rule change would see a greater emphasis on making changes on the pitch, rather than just buying more players

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Id cheat every game, dive , simulation etc etc if it would benefit my team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Mr.H wrote: »
    Yet you feel united are a big team (which they are) and they haven't won the league or come close in 5 years.

Better check your maths there.

Scrap the cap!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

LiamoSail wrote: »
    The transfer window should only be open during preseason, and shut before the opening game of the season. I'd include the hiring of managers too.

The primary purpose would be to ensure that no club faces a significantly stronger opposition in a tie than another. For example, were Liverpool to have signed Sanchez in August before they had played Arsenal, Liverpool would face a weaker Arsenal side than anyone who had already faced them. Similarly anyone who played Crystal Palace since Big Sam arrived and signed Sahko etc has faced a stronger Palace than others who played them before. That leads to an inherent advantage.

Take Chelsea signing Torres in January a few seasons ago, days before they played Liverpool. Chelsea, by virtue of having money, faced a weaker Liverpool than other clubs had, which gave them an advantage over their title rivals that season.

No transfer window would see Clubs look to youth rather than new signings in January, giving younger players a chance. It would also give coaches at clubs the opportunity to step up as manager should a club decide upon a change and can't hire during the season.

It would cut down on the numerous sackings, and give managers time to develop players. A manager who knows he has a full season is far more likely to take a chance with younger players than a manager who could be sacked in a few games.

I think this would be a far fairer system, and also cut down on the amount of transfer nonsens you hear all season. When things aren't going well on the pitch, more money seems to be the only solution offered. Perhaps a rule change would see a greater emphasis on making changes on the pitch, rather than just buying more players

I don't think there should be any transfer windows. Transfers any time. The windows only inflate the prices.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Robbie Keane was a dynamic, exciting & unpredictable if frustrating player for Ireland up to his move to Liverpool.

After that move he was generally a load of crap, on the field only for converting penalties and tap-ins and the odd one on one. He was a passenger on the field and made it very difficult to put opposition defences under pressure and he had a very poor record of scoring versus the best teams. The Irish team is better off without the later version of Robbie. Shane Long should have got his chance far sooner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Time to implement Safe Standing to the PL.

Been far too long and has worked in Germany for example

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Robbie Keane was a dynamic, exciting & unpredictable if frustrating player for Ireland up to his move to Liverpool.

After that move he was generally a load of crap, on the field only for converting penalties and tap-ins and the odd one on one. He was a passenger on the field and made it very difficult to put opposition defences under pressure and he had a very poor record of scoring versus the best teams. The Irish team is better off without the later version of Robbie. Shane Long should have got his chance far sooner.

I know it's an opinion forum so I am not telling you your opinion is wrong as an opinion is an opinion!!

But given he was almost 30 once he joined Liverpool and from henceforth, under Trap, he was part of a system which far from benefited his style of play and given he scored 33 goals in 60 odd appearances in that period after joining Liverpool for a man that was " generally a load of cr*p on the field", god knows how good we would have been without him.

:rolleyes:

His form declined incrementally in that time but it was very incrementally until around 2014 when fans like you gave him the cliche "passenger for years" title!

I do agree Shane Long could have got more game time but he still took to the field circa 45 times in the same period,( albeit mainly as a sub) and scored 8 goals but. He is not nearly the natural scorer Keane was and I think Keane shouldered a lot of cliche unjustified blame during the Trap years.

Since Robbie Keane lost his starting 11 place to Long, the latter has scored a mere 7 or so goals and is playing in a much more attacking team than Traps and in a system that somewhat plays to his strengths.

Robbie Keane was a gem, even up to his "dying embers" and I always get a bit dismayed when he gets the "passenger" treatment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

I know it's an opinion forum so I am not telling you your opinion is wrong as an opinion is an opinion!!

But given he was almost 30 once he joined Liverpool and from henceforth, under Trap, he was part of a system which far from benefited his style of play and given he scored 33 goals in 60 odd appearances in that period after joining Liverpool for a man that was " generally a load of cr*p on the field", god knows how good we would have been without him.

:rolleyes:

His form declined incrementally in that time but it was very incrementally until around 2014 when fans like you gave him the cliche "passenger for years" title!

I do agree Shane Long could have got more game time but he still took to the field circa 45 times in the same period,( albeit mainly as a sub) and scored 8 goals but. He is not nearly the natural scorer Keane was and I think Keane shouldered a lot of cliche unjustified blame during the Trap years.

Since Robbie Keane lost his starting 11 place to Long, the latter has scored a mere 7 or so goals and is playing in a much more attacking team than Traps and in a system that somewhat plays to his strengths.

Robbie Keane was a gem, even up to his "dying embers" and I always get a bit dismayed when he gets the "passenger" treatment!

He scored a lot of goals so if the argument is going to be reduced to that then I concede.

Some players like Long at his best or say Danny Welbeck don't score a lot of goals but their movement is a nightmare for defenders. Of course I know you know this but I think sometimes people do not fully appreciate that plentiful goals are not necessary to make for a top level striker.

Also, what is wrong with "tap ins"? I wish we had players who could position themselves in the box these days to do the same! A goal is a goal, and a tap in would have been great against Wales!

Dots1982 wrote: »
    He scored a lot of goals so if the argument is going to be reduced to that then I concede.

Some players like Long at his best or say Danny Welbeck don't score a lot of goals but their movement is a nightmare for defenders. Of course I know you know this but I think sometimes people do not fully appreciate that plentiful goals are not necessary to make for a top level striker.

What is the point terrorising defenders if you can't get in a position to score when needs be?

Robbie Keane's game was all about movement in and around the box, that is how he scored the vast majority of his goals

Ireland's main problem at the moment is our lack of a goalscorer. If we had anyone close to Kean in that team it would be the difference between drawing a game and winning it, or even losing a game or winning it.

Ps, I am not trying to have an argument with you, just debating the merits of your point : )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Time to implement Safe Standing to the PL.

Been far too long and has worked in Germany for example

Sitting down at matches feels absolutely alien to me. It doesn't feel right at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

Omackeral wrote: »
    Sitting down at matches feels absolutely alien to me. It doesn't feel right at all.

Terrace tickets mean cheaper tickets and the riff raff that comes along with cheaper entry. No thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

LiamoSail wrote: »

I'd go the other end of that and say there shouldnt be a transfer window at all and it should be open all year round.

For cup competitions, I'd still have cup tied players but it should be an open market otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    Terrace tickets mean cheaper tickets and the riff raff that comes along with cheaper entry. No thanks.

I think you'll find lots of riff raff at games already and if you don't it might be you.

There was a lot of discussion about it last year but It will probably never happen (sadly or not) due to the reasons why it was implemented in the first place. (Hillsborough etc)
    It is a legal and political issue now and would require Government legislation to implement, never mind individual clubs and their fans. Even insurance issues.

The FA and Premier League men in suits would probably back it and Sky Sports would have a w*nkfest if it came about as the atmosphere would obviously add to viewing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I dont support reverting back to standing. From a safety point of view, its a nightmare.

If you want a better atmosphere at your ground, stop charging an arm and a leg to get in. Frankly, with the money the premier league clubs rake in with tv money and sponsorship, there should be a legal limit to what they can charge put in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Kirby wrote: »
    I dont support reverting back to standing. From a safety point of view, its a nightmare.

If you want a better atmosphere at your ground, stop charging an arm and a leg to get in. Frankly, with the money the premier league clubs rake in with tv money and sponsorship, there should be a legal limit to what they can charge put in place.

I'm ambivalent about the safe standing thing but you're dead right, it's no silver bullet for atmosphere, I think the gentrification of Premier league is too far gone for atmosphere to ever really come back.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I'd go the other end of that and say there shouldnt be a transfer window at all and it should be open all year round.

For cup competitions, I'd still have cup tied players but it should be an open market otherwise.

This has been raised in court before and lost pretty resoundingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

No it isn't. Standing on terraces is far safer than the current situation in the top two flights in England where people stand in seated areas. Hillsborough wasn't caused by standing. It was caused by overcrowding, inadequate stadium planning, fans treated like sh*t, lack of effective crowd control and ignorance of the guidelines regarding stadium safety. The same conditions can have the same effects in seated areas. In fact, they did in Ellis Park in 2001.

Your second points is bang on. Gates now make up a fraction of an EPL team's income. The top teams could charge nothing and it'd only make a slight dent in their budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

People who have an issue with an imaginary card being waved, but not with a player walking up to the referee to ask about a card, are absolute idiots.

It happens so much on here, up in arms because the imaginary card is done in the foreign leagues but the walking up to the refs is done in the EPL.

IT IS THE EXACT SAME THING.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

PhilipsR wrote: »
    People who have an issue with an imaginary card being waved, but not with a player walking up to the referee to ask about a card, are absolute idiots.

It happens so much on here, up in arms because the imaginary card is done in the foreign leagues but the walking up to the refs is done in the EPL.

Fair point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Probably an unpopular opinion but those who think the EPL isn't a foreign league and/or is somehow ours are deluded. They complain about these foreign owners without a hint of irony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Fans, managers, commentators scream for a booking but as soon as a player wags his fingers, "we don't like that". A bizarre phenomenon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

If a player runs up to a referee asking for a booking etc, he should be booked.... There should be a clampdown in every league. Even if after 2 mins, 6 players surround the ref, all yellow cards! You will soon see it stopping!

Referee's to grow balls, and when the same foul happens in the 1st 5 mins than last 5mins its the same result, i.e Referees need start booking, sending off players when they deserve it, not let them away with it because theres only 2 mins gone or not giving a 2nd yellow because the player already has one!!

What is a direct free kick outside the box, should be a penalty inside the box! I hate when ref's dont give fouls when its clearly a foul but happened inside the box!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Neutrals portraying Juve as underdogs and cheering them on as being a likeable bunch

I don't find Buffon likeable in the slightest, and their club in general is a horrendously corrupt institution who I hope don't win a CL in my lifetime

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

From a safety point of view it's 100times better than standing where there are seats. How many times do you see videos from seated areas of fans tumbling down rows of seats? A he'll of a lot more often than you do videos of similar in safe standing areas, I've never seen one from a safe standing area. In safe standing everyone has an area for themselves and is at no risk of being crushed and aren't tempted to stand on stairways making it much safer.

As for my unpopular opinion. That the epl is a foreign league and we have our own in Ireland. Seems an unpopular one on boards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Bateman wrote: »
    Neutrals portraying Juve as underdogs and cheering them on as being a likeable bunch

You have to laugh at people crediting them for reaching CL finals just a decade after being in Serie B, happily ignoring the reasons they were in Serie B in the first place...

The "man love" and patronising of players like Buffon and Totti irritates me a bit (sometimes). Don't get me wrong, I know what legendary players they are for the right reasons but they can't be mentioned or analysed these days without this patronising element! This isn't any sleight at both player's career achievements but moreso at the insistence of forum fans to let everyone know how much of a "good guy" Buffon is!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

The "man love" and patronising of players like Buffon and Totti irritates me a bit (sometimes). Don't get me wrong, I know what legendary players they are for the right reasons but they can't be mentioned or analysed these days without this patronising element! This isn't any sleight at both player's career achievements but moreso at the insistence of forum fans to let everyone know how much of a "good guy" Buffon is!

Nobody insists on it ffs. I think a lot of people admire them for their professionalism as they are both around 40 & not shaming themselves at the highest level. That buffon is playing at this level for well over 20 years when most goalies decline in half that time is absolutely remarkable. Whereas Schmeichel, Kahn & Casillas declined massively over time he has played in what 4 or 5 world cups already. Played against Weah, Ronaldo, Baggio, Messi, Ronaldinho & basically every player the last 22 years.
    Both could have easily left Roma & Juve at times over the last 15 years but they stayed as they wanted to be there. Fans admire that as most clubs players at any clubs aren't genuinely connected to the club, total dying breeds. Buffon could have went anywhere he wanted in 2006 but he said he never won Serie B & stayed at Juve. I can't think of many who would do that as the best player in their position in the world. Totti then stayed at Roma could have easily left to go to Milan or elsewhere to win a lot more than runner up medals but he stayed cause he wanted to play for the team he supported as a boy.
    It's not that they are good boys or cool it's that people respect how professional(even if they have misbehaved) they have been to not decline once they hit 34, they adjusted their style & adapted. All this is lost on someone who can't see why people can revere that even if they don't play at teams we support.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Nobody insists on it ffs. I think a lot of people admire them for their professionalism as they are both around 40 & not shaming themselves at the highest level. That buffon is playing at this level for well over 20 years when most goalies decline in half that time is absolutely remarkable. Whereas Schmeichel, Kahn & Casillas declined massively over time he has played in what 4 or 5 world cups already. Played against Weah, Ronaldo, Baggio, Messi, Ronaldinho & basically every player the last 22 years.
    Both could have easily left Roma & Juve at times over the last 15 years but they stayed as they wanted to be there. Fans admire that as most clubs players at any clubs aren't genuinely connected to the club, total dying breeds. Buffon could have went anywhere he wanted in 2006 but he said he never won Serie B & stayed at Juve. I can't think of many who would do that as the best player in their position in the world. Totti then stayed at Roma could have easily left to go to Milan or elsewhere to win a lot more than runner up medals but he stayed cause he wanted to play for the team he supported as a boy.
    It's not that they are good boys or cool it's that people respect how professional(even if they have misbehaved) they have been to not decline once they hit 34, they adjusted their style & adapted. All this is lost on someone who can't see why people can revere that even if they don't play at teams we support.

You are missing the point of my post. I am merely saying, as per the first line, it irritates me a bit with the man love for them! In a grumpy old man sort of way! I am not saying the praise, acclaim and status isn't justified, I just get sick of listening to it sometimes! No need to get so heated up.

"All this is lost on someone who can't see why people can revere that even if they don't play at teams we support."

I don't know what you mean by this condescending and extremely inaccurate statement, presumably directed at me. Why do you get the impression I can't respect or even revere players that don't play for "the team I support"??

. Because that has absolutely nothing to do with my point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Fans, managers, commentators scream for a booking but as soon as a player wags his fingers, "we don't like that". A bizarre phenomenon.

Managers doing it is just as wrong imo. There's quite a difference between fans doing it and players on the same pitch doing it, not everything that fans do can be equated equally to players on the pitch obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I don't find Buffon likeable in the slightest, and their club in general is a horrendously corrupt institution who I hope don't win a CL in my lifetime

Given who theyre playing in the final, Juve are the lesser of two evils in this circumstance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

After Heysel I'll always have a soft spot for Juve, they've been opponents in Europe of my club a few times since but no club and no set of supporters should have to go through the likes of that.

Scrap the cap!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Given who theyre playing in the final, Juve are the lesser of two evils in this circumstance.

Well thats not true at all. Juventus have been proven to be corrupt, they definitely arent the lesser of two evils

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Going onto another team's thread and congratulating them on winning a competition. What's that all about??
    Given how little anybody on this actually knows each other, you wouldn't have went up to every man wearing a Chelsea shirt in the pub last night, and said "fair play to you, you deserved it and have been the best all year" etc.

Talk about whipping out the factor 30 cringe.

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    Going onto another team's thread and congratulating them on winning a competition. What's that all about??
    Given how little anybody on this actually knows each other, you wouldn't have went up to every man wearing a Chelsea shirt in the pub last night, and said "fair play to you, you deserved it and have been the best all year" etc.

There is a distinct difference between an internet football forum and a pub!

One you see rowdy men acting out of character under the influence, occasional fights and lots of forced "banter".................the other is a pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

irishman86 wrote: »
    Well thats not true at all. Juventus have been proven to be corrupt, they definitely arent the lesser of two evils

Madrid almost certainly don't have a squeaky clean record, remember the big amount of money they got for selling their training ground to the Madrid City council all those years ago.

Also players weren't implicated in that scandal it was the higher ups and I think a lot of people would like to see the likes of Buffon,Bonucci,Barzagli etc get a champions league medal.

Madrid have won 2 of the last 3 champions leagues and most people like to see a bit of variety in who wins these things and Juve haven't won it since 1996 losing 4 finals since then.

Ive actually seen this loads of times :confused:

Madrid almost certainly don't have a squeaky clean record, remember the big amount of money they got for selling their training ground to the Madrid City council all those years ago.

Also players weren't implicated in that scandal it was the higher ups and I think a lot of people would like to see the likes of Buffon,Bonucci,Barzagli etc get a champions league medal.

Madrid have won 2 of the last 3 champions leagues and most people like to see a bit of variety in who wins these things and Juve haven't won it since 1996 losing 4 finals since then.

It wasnt players I was talking about, it was the comment saying Real were worse than Juventus.
    Real sold prime real estate in the middle of the biggest boom in europe for a lot of money, not sure how you could find anything shocking about that.
    If anything it shows that there really is nothing.
    I have no problem with Juventus winning, I also would like to them, Ive countless times said so that doesnt make them the lesser evil though
    People like to portray Real as some big bad evil when there really isnt any substance to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Actually had a lad come up to me in a pub in London after the England/Wales Six Nations game and say pretty much exactly that about Ireland in 2015, and that he reckoned we'd win it again or at least end England's unbeaten run.

Seen that kind of thing a few times in pubs across sports, mind you typically by some shcuttered fella. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

irishman86 wrote: »
    It wasnt players I was talking about, it was the comment saying Real were worse than Juventus.
    Real sold prime real estate in the middle of the biggest boom in europe for a lot of money, not sure how you could find anything shocking about that.
    If anything it shows that there really is nothing.
    I have no problem with Juventus winning, I also would like to them, Ive countless times said so that doesnt make them the lesser evil though
    People like to portray Real as some big bad evil when there really isnt any substance to it

Wasn't the sale investigated, the sale happened to clear their debts which were fairly substantial at the time, but I was young when this happened so my memory may not be 100%

• Advertisement
Advertisement