Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning a fork to Canyon.

Options
  • 23-04-2017 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭

Anyone returned a fork or frame to Canyon? I'm dealing with the UK office which appears to be a small business unit located in a business park in England. I'm thinking I should have tried to deal directly with Germany. Fork has a crack which needs proper examination. The UK office has a mechanic booked to 'take a look'. Sure, I've taken a look and I don't know if its safe. Perhaps its just a formality - yay or nay - regarding issuing a replacement.

So, has anyone any experience dealing with sending back gear to Canyon, UK office or otherwise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

Dealt with the uk for a return but they sent it back to Germany for me directly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Ah OK. So the UK office is just an intermediary for UK and Irish customers, I'm guessing.

Did the process take long for you? Apparently, the fork is booked in to be checked on the 5th of May. So, it could be the end of next month before it's all resolved - if they give me a replacement!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i wouldn't accept a mechanic's opinion that a cracked fork is safe, if it's under warranty. forks should not crack.
    it's possible that the mechanic just needs to confirm the crack is in the fork rather than in the paint?

i wouldn't accept a mechanic's opinion that a cracked fork is safe, if it's under warranty. forks should not crack.
    it's possible that the mechanic just needs to confirm the crack is in the fork rather than in the paint?

Ideally, the fork would be x-rayed - I'm sure Germany has that facility - that's why I'm thinking I should have dealt with them directly. Anyway, its booked in to be checked by a mechanic which tells me they don't have anyone on site, day to day, checking parts. They probably ship parts in bulk every so often back to Germany. Really, that UK office is simply for customer service/enquiries for UK and Ireland.

Whatever the case, I would like a replacement. The bike purchase falls within Canyon's generous 6 year warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I doubt the mechanic will be assessing anything other than when/how the damage occurred.

When did you notice the crack OP?

Do you have the bike long?

Where is the location of said crack?

They'll want to confirm you haven't caused the damage yourself which isn't beyond reasonable if you've had the frame a while.

• Advertisement

Hairline crack is at the crown. See below. It could be just the lacquer finish but not worth the chance. There are a lot of inconsistencies in the finish and the bare carbon underneath. Quite the norm for Canyon it seems from all accounts. The fork hasn't had a bang.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i can see why you'd be concerned - i'm no expert in any sense but that does look like more than a crack in the paint to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

i can see why you'd be concerned - i'm no expert in any sense but that does look like more than a crack in the paint to me.

I would second that.

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Ah OK. So the UK office is just an intermediary for UK and Irish customers, I'm guessing.

Did the process take long for you? Apparently, the fork is booked in to be checked on the 5th of May. So, it could be the end of next month before it's all resolved - if they give me a replacement!

About 2 weeks, a week to get over to them, a day or 2 for them to inspect and about 3 or 4 days for the courier back to me.

E35 insured to send the fork by post. The woman behind the desk suggested a large padded envelope to cut the cost. I politely smiled and said that wouldn't really work out.

It would have cheaper for me to stuff the fork down my jumper and hop on a plane over to The UK. Given its full carbon, it wouldn't set off the metal detectors!

Anyway, its done. I'll let Canyon know and see if they might refund me the postage.

• Advertisement

So, 'Raf' has inspected my fork, filled out the relevant report forms and sent them off to Germany... but not the fork itself apparently. Germany does the final inspection, based on his report and photo's, I guess? This will take another couple of weeks.

Canyon got back to me. Still under warranty after nearly 6 years! Fair play to them. In the email they didn't actually say fork, instead just a part number (who knows maybe they might give me the frame too!:D) Anyway, they don't have it in black so they have offered an Omega Lotto fork IN WHITE!

I can't see any alternatives so not much I can do really. I'll just have to ride a black frame with a white fork...hmmm.

Would you be OK riding a black bike with a white fork?

Canyon got back to me. Still under warranty after nearly 6 years! Fair play to them. In the email they didn't actually say fork, instead just a part number (who knows maybe they might give me the frame too!:D) Anyway, they don't have it in black so they have offered an Omega Lotto fork IN WHITE!

I can't see any alternatives so not much I can do really. I'll just have to ride a black frame with a white fork...hmmm.

Would you be OK riding a black bike with a white fork?

Could get it sprayed

^^^
    We'll see when I get it.

Still trying to work out the language. Does this sound like an offer of a fork or a frameset to you?

'We have heard back from our colleagues in Germany. Your bike is still covered under the guarantee.

Therefore we are only able to offer you Ultimate AL SLX 119845 in Omega Lotto team colours, which is predominantly white.'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

^^^
    We'll see when I get it.

Still trying to work out the language. Does this sound like an offer of a fork or a frameset to you?

'We have heard back from our colleagues in Germany. Your bike is still covered under the guarantee.

Therefore we are only able to offer you Ultimate AL SLX 119845 in Omega Lotto team colours, which is predominantly white.'

TBH it kind of sounds like frameset to me, as from what I've seen of Canyon's fork model numbering (at least current models) they tend to be the same across the CF and AL versions of a given bike, so not sure why they would put AL SLX in the fork model in that scenario?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

cython wrote: »
    TBH it kind of sounds like frameset to me, as from what I've seen of Canyon's fork model numbering (at least current models) they tend to be the same across the CF and AL versions of a given bike, so not sure why they would put AL SLX in the fork model in that scenario?

Not when it's in the Lotto colours (which clearly I ndicates it's customised from standard finish....)

Could be a fork or frame. I would say the former. Germans are quite specific – you get what you are entitled to (no more/no less)

Yeah, just the fork I'd say. Shame they don't have that particular fork in black. The current AL/CF SLX forks have no rake and work with frames with slightly different headtube angles to my older frame, so they wouldn't work for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Not when it's in the Lotto colours (which clearly I ndicates it's customised from standard finish....)

Could be a fork or frame. I would say the former. Germans are quite specific – you get what you are entitled to (no more/no less)

Maybe so, but looking at their crash replacement page where they have a fairly extensive parts list they don't mention Ultimate AL SLX outside frames. Also, frankly, they should have plenty of options available for just a One One Four SLX fork, to be fair, not just a Lotto colours one.
    EDIT: Only saw OPs clarification RE geometry after this, so above comment not entirely accurate!

It sounds like a complete frame set to me. If a white fork does arrive Id be getting back onto them and ask where the frame to match the fork is. You gave them a broken black fork I'd be expecting a black fork back at a minimum.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    You gave them a broken black fork I'd be expecting a black fork back at a minimum.

As above, they don't have any more in black of that particular fork, unfortunately.

• Advertisement

As above, they don't have any more in black of that particular fork, unfortunately.

That's not your problem. That would be Canyons problem I wouldn't expect ferrari to replace a faulty door with whatever the had to hand.

Advertisement