Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People on Boards who judge other people

• 23-04-2017 1:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

There's a strong element of looking down on other people present on these pages. Be the targets poor people, single mothers or working class people as they put it. The thing is I rarely rarely hear those views among real people. Are more people than I think judgmental or does Boards bring out the extremes in society?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 CzechChick

i agree from reading the posts today, seems like 90% looking down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

steddyeddy wrote: »
    There's a strong element of looking down on other people present on these pages. Be the targets poor people, single mothers or working class people as they put it. The thing is I rarely rarely hear those views among real people. Are more people than I think judgmental or does Boards bring out the extremes in society?

It's easy to judge people hiding behind a username!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

CzechChick wrote: »
    i agree from reading the posts today, seems like 90% looking down

I'd have to a disagree with that number. My maths puts it about 78%

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

WELL THAT'S BECAUSE EVERYONE ON SOCIAL WELFARE IS SH1TY AT MATHS! ect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Maybe people feel they have to moderate their opinions around you.

I have plenty of friends that I would plan a genocide with and people who I say nothing around until they are sussed out.

Even on boards I would moderate my opinions compared to my inner circle.

i dispute your 12% differential

EICVD wrote: »
    It's easy to judge people hiding behind a username!

That's very true but it implies that these views are secretly held. I have never heard people get as angry at social welfare as I have on Boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Multiquoters, the lot of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

AH brings out the chronic moaner in people.

What I can't work out is how people get so worked up about other people liking/not liking a particular food/sport/song/place/anything that they try and get them to see that they are wrong.

Why would you even give a f**k what completely anonymous strangers like or don't like.

• Advertisement

Maybe people feel they have to moderate their opinions around you.

I have plenty of friends that I would plan a genocide with and people who I say nothing around until they are sussed out.

I don't think so Richard. My friends aren't that weak that they have to hide their opinion around me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

WELL THAT'S BECAUSE EVERYONE ON SOCIAL WELFARE IS SH1TY AT MATHS! ect

What's with the cap locks none of us have a visual impairment.

People find it easier to hang out unpopular opinions in a forum setting that they would be more reserved of offending someone face to face.
    I agree there is a lot of "looking down" on those who aren't as fortunate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

There is an intolerance on Boards that I don't encounter in real life. But if it keeps a discussion moving fair enough. It's the replies that just dismiss others, simply because the posters don't agree, that are purely judgemental and add nothing to the discussion.

People find it easier to hang out unpopular opinions in a forum setting that they would be more reserved of offending someone face to face.

not from what i see on here, seems if you dont hold the line as regards opinions you are a bottom feeder from their POV

There is an intolerance on Boards that I don't encounter in real life. But if it keeps a discussion moving fair enough. It's the replies that just dismiss others, simply because the posters don't agree, that are purely judgemental and add nothing to the discussion.

i dont agree with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

24% of the 90% disagree.

not from what i see on here, seems if you dont hold the line as regards opinions you are a bottom feeder from their POV

Anyone that cannot change their mind or opinions based on responses of others, is a little single minded and immune to progression. ;)

I agree with most of that but, in fairness, there are one or two of those less fortunate, as you put it, who are very intolerant of anybody who can afford to have, eat, do, or enjoy anything that they don't. Like everything in life, it works both ways.

i dont agree with that

And I respect your right to not agree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

There are certainly some extremes on boards. In my opinion people find it easier to express them here rather than in person because they can hide behind a username, close an account if needs be or just ditch it, have more time to formulate arguments and opinions compared to when they're put on the spot in an in person discussion.

You also have to differentiate between actual opinions and trolls which can be difficult at times too.

And I respect your right to not agree.

Red card

I agree with most of that but, in fairness, there are one or two of those less fortunate, as you put it, who are very intolerant of anybody who can afford to have, eat, do, or enjoy anything that they don't. Like everything in life, it works both ways.

One in particular springs to mind!

That's true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

Anyone that cannot change their mind or opinions based on responses of others ;)

is probably safe in the knowledge that they are correct and other opinions are simply opinions. why would i change my mind simply because you disagree with me?
    you should respect my opinion as much as i respect your right to be wrong.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

Agreed, express any legitimate concerns about the impact of mass immigration on Europe and European values and you are branded racist or far right. The biased moderation is not helpful either.

Plus lots of anti British sentiment which I find disappointing along with others gloating over the democratic Brexit decision and the alleged damage it will do the British economy.

soups05 wrote: »
    is probably safe in the knowledge that they are correct and other opinions are simply opinions. why would i change my mind simply because you disagree with me?
    you should respect my opinion as much as i respect your right to be wrong.

:)
    I don't mean do a u turn on your principles because of a disagreement, more so your opinion on something can change based on others experiences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I don't think Boards actually does bring out the extremists at all, well, certainly not what I would consider extremist anyway, but I've never been near the migrant threads or politics which seem to generate a disproportionate amount of threads in Feedback.

Everyone judges to some extent, some more than others, and just as they will judge negatively, so too will they judge positively. Isn't that how we've determined our place in the world since we were babies ourselves, and how societies have evolved since the dawn of man?

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    One in particular springs to mind!

If it's the same one as comes to mind for me, they not only do so but in the process they drag the discussion off topic because human nature demands that their intolerance is responded to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭Somedude9

You're all a bunch of little whinging geebags...Whoops :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I might and I look down my nose (myopically) at you for assuming such ableism!

Harumph, I say.

o/

:pac:

Somedude9 wrote: »
    You're all a bunch of little whinging geebags...Whoops :o

You are a nerd

You are a nerd

And a dude none the less. Banned.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    And a dude none the less. Banned.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Judging others as being judgemental is the worst and most hypocritical judgementalism there is.

And misinterpreting posts as judgmental comes a close second

And these two are epidemic here.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Judging others as being judgemental is the worst and most hypocritical judgementalism there is.

And misinterpreting posts as judgmental comes a close second

And these two are epidemic here.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/endemic

Agreed, express any legitimate concerns about the impact of mass immigration on Europe and European values and you are branded racist or far right. The biased moderation is not helpful either.

Plus lots of anti British sentiment which I find disappointing along with others gloating over the democratic Brexit decision and the alleged damage it will do the British economy.

Mod

Take your mod issues to the appropriate forums. This isn't one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

That's very true but it's also fair to say that polarising opinions often serve to polarise views (captain state the obvious here)

There are threads were people line up to say "poor people don't want education, people's poverty is their own doing, single mothers should know when to stop having kids ect". These sort of views bring out opposing and sometimes, equally vile views.

I don't agree with the ridiculous everyone should feel ashamed for eating out view, but I think it's understandable when people question privilege in response to dole bashing.

For example two of the biggest dole and poverty bashers on here talk about inheriting their house, getting their mother/spouse to wash all their clothes and then talk about other people not being self reliant. Now I myself am being judgmental here, but it's hard not to be when some views are presented and those espousing them. I'm not saying it's right. I'm just detailing how judgement begets judgement.

• Advertisement

I hadn't realised this was a thread for people to air their personal grievances with other posters. Not something I think anyone should get caught up in tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

I think you have taking a certain position which may lead to a degree of judgement.

I have heard these views in real life and plenty more besides.

You mentioned working class etc but what about the bias against anyone who strives to be successful.

Everyone gets judged and its up to the individual to deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I find this place to be the antithesis of the likes of some other places. Take for example, the Sunday World Facebook page. Full of people making excuses for criminals and fraudsters. ''Ah shure nobody got hurt, what harm''. There was a cash-in-transit robbery this week and one comment said ''Fair juice 2 de boys, Enda Kenny stole all are jobs inanyway''.

There's got to be a middle ground somewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Had to laugh yesterday at someone claiming they were being bullied on here. Wind yer neck in and grow thicker skin, it's the internet FFS.

Cyber bullying to me is when someone in real life bullies you online. I could get that. I don't consider what happens on here between people who don't know each other as bullying. If yer that bothered ignore those people or find another site.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I think some on boards find the courage to express their true views from behind a keyboard and then some just like to wind others up.

Hard to tell the difference sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

A bit of puritanical opinion going around alright, but then I've been seen as judgemental of the hijab even though it's the idea behind it,which basically amounts to more puritanism again, imo. My friend said everyone judges somebody, but I don't know if that's true..

It's not just Boards either. Try being a vegetarian or vegan on Facebook, it does not go down well. On the other hand you'd see fanatical vegans judging meat eaters there as well.

Personally my views on here are the same as what I express in real life and I don't think there's any harm in calling people out on their judgemental view of anyone.

DeanAustin wrote:
    Cyber bullying to me is when someone in real life bullies you online. I could get that. I don't consider what happens on here between people who don't know each other as bullying. If yer that bothered ignore those people or find another site.

You do realise this IS real life don't you? Do people honestly think boards is an alternate universe where there aren't really people behind their posts.

Just because it's anonymous doesn't give people licence to bully.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

Ireland has built a society which prides itself on material possession (cars/obsessive property ownership being regarded as a fundamental success metric being the perfect example) and one which is innately judgmental as a result. It's not just boards where people judge each other, people judge each other everywhere and at every opportunity they get - people are just generally more vocal about it on boards because it's an anonymous internet forum which won't affect people's views of the poster in reality, therefore granting them the perfect opportunity to voice their actual opinions. I don't think that this is a phenomenon unique to Ireland but it is extremely prominent in Ireland and something which I really dislike about the country.

• Advertisement
Advertisement