Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I sign private heath insurance form?

• 23-04-2017 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

Hi. Apologies in advance if this is the incorrect forum. I'm currently an inpatient in a public hospital. I was admitted through A&E yesterday, and I'm currently in a single room in a ward. I have a chronic illness, on medication for life, but most of time I feel perfectly fine, work full time etc.
    I have been asked twice since yesterday, do I want to sign a form for my insurer (I have health insurance). I declined and said I would speak with my insurance company on morning to find out. I recall reading somewhere recently that patients in a public hospital should not sign a form in hospital relating to cover.

Now I don't trust the insurance company either, so I thought I'd ask the opinions of others (and help pass some time in here too!). I don't want to be moved into a ward, so would not signing the form result in me being changed to a public ward? I don't want to have to pay anymore money out, I already paid the €100 admission fee yesterday plus the cost of medication & insurance already this month.

Should I just bite the bullet and sign, I'm hoping by not signing I will have some leverage with the insurance company when it comes to renewal - long shot, I know.

Then I'm thinking, why do I pay for insurance at all? No GP or private hospital will see me if my illness relates to my chronic condition. Health insurance doesn't pay for my medication at all. I know there is daily charge in here so by not signing will I be liable for that? By the way, I'm feeling much better already, which is the main thing and I have to say they have treated me so well in here even in A&E. I would appreciate some advice/opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,013 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How long have you had health insurance for? If less than 5 years your pes existing condition won't be covered anyway so there's no point in signing.

NB you shouldn't have been charged the E100 if you were admitted. It's only supposed to be for mon admitted outpatients who don't go via a GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Thanks for reply. I've had insurance since birth and paying myself since I started working, with no breaks in cover. I came into A&E directly, I was asked to pay when I came to reception. I wasn't informed that I didn't have to pay the fee once I was admitted. I usually bypass A&E if I require hospitalisation but not on this occasion as it was the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

You can reclaim the €100 happened to My sister and she reclaimed it cos she was broke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

We got this email from Glohealth recently. It gives an explanation. And very much hope that you recover quickly and are back home soon.

We are writing to you to explain the public hospital bed charges that you may have heard about in the news recently. As a health insurance customer we believe it is important that you understand what this means for you.

Today, if you are admitted to a public hospital through A&E, as a person with Private Health Insurance, you will be asked to sign a Private Insurance Patient form. By signing this form you waive your rights to public treatment in a public hospital. This means that you, through your health insurer, will be charged €813 per day compared to the standard €80 per day had you not signed the form. This higher charge is now applied even if you are treated on a trolley or in a public ward.

Know your Rights

You are already entitled to treatment in a public hospital through your normal tax payments. We will cover the cost of your stay in a public hospital in line with the cover you have on your Plan, regardless of the amount you are charged. However you should be aware that;

> You don’t have to sign this waiver form if you don’t want to. Unless you are guaranteed a private or semi-private room, your treatment will be exactly the same.

> If you sign the form, you are essentially paying twice for your stay in a public hospital, once through general taxation and again through your private health insurance. We believe this is double taxation.

> This practice has increased the cost of health insurance by an additional €200 million a year and these increased claims costs have a direct impact on the premium you pay!

The choice is always yours to sign or not sign. However, by explaining this to you we hope you will be more informed about your rights as a taxpayer and consumer and also that you understand the impact this higher public hospital bed charge has on the cost of your health insurance cover.

Yours sincerely,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭moonbloom

I was having a procedure recently as a day patient. Likewise I was asked to sign a form to claim from my private insurer. I questioned what different treatment I would have. I didn't sign as I was on the same list as all patients for theatre, the same public ward and was told insurer would cover the lesser cost of my public treatment if I went as a public patient. Got the statement and Insurer had paid the balance of about 80 euro no problem. This practice is why our premiums are increasing. Read OPS posts. Everyone should be aware.

Advertisement