Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of shipping a small container to USA from Ireland?

Options
  • 23-04-2017 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all, myself and my family are going to be moving to Nevada USA this summer and im wondering if it is worth shipping our things over, i dont have any really expensive antiques or anything but Im wondering if its worth bothering or should i just buy new stuff over there, cant seem to find any prices on the internet at all! 😕😕

Thanks in advance 😊😊

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

some (old) info here in this thread which might help

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055470102

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Moved from App Feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You can't really bring any mains-powered domestic appliances (hair dryers, toasters, TVs etc.) because of the voltage difference so I guess it comes down to your favourite pieces of furniture and whether you're prepared to pay for the shipment. Can't really see that it would make sense.

You shouldn't have a problem with mobile gadgets like laptops and tablets because the chargers they give you in Europe are almost always multivoltage i.e. 100-240V.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

coylemj wrote: »
    You can't really bring any mains-powered domestic appliances (hair dryers, toasters, TVs etc.) because of the voltage difference so I guess it comes down to your favourite pieces of furniture and whether you're prepared to pay for the shipment. Can't really see that it would make sense.

You shouldn't have a problem with mobile gadgets like laptops and tablets because the chargers they give you in Europe are almost always multivoltage i.e. 100-240V.

Actually you can. It's generally just not practical to do so as most of that stuff is the same price or cheaper here.

I got rid of all my electronics (tv's etc) before moving out, laptops/tablets/phones will generally work just fine with just the a few regular connectors from monoprice (check the voltages as mentioned above).

What I did ship was a bunch of power tools, mainly as I'd have gotten a pittance for them if I had sold them at home. I bought a step up transformer on Amazon for about $30. It works just fine for what I need but it's just occasional use. Not for everyone but it suited me at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

It's usually not worth shipping household goods. You'll find plenty of furniture for sale on Craigslist - here's the Reno/Tahoe area site - https://reno.craigslist.org/
    If you have appliances that work on 110V/60Hz then you could bring them, but small appliances are usually cheap here. The best place to check prices for electronics is probably Amazon.com
    Whatever you're looking for, sites like Yelp usually have some good reviews. Here's some furniture stores in Reno - https://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=furniture&find_loc=Reno,+NV
    I don't know where you're headed in NV, but if I lived in Reno I'd want to live as close to the Mount Rose Highway as possible, so I would look at Galena, Montreaux, Galena Creek, etc. That gets you to Lake Tahoe in 30 mins or so. If you are moving here and are interested in winter sports, make sure you get a 4WD/AWD car, and you will need studded tires or snow chains for winter (not in Reno, just for heading over Mt. Rose).

• Advertisement
Advertisement