Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal vs Man City- FA Cup Semi Final

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

monkey9 wrote: »
    The linesman ruling out that City goal.

Arsenal were robbed of a clear cut penalty.

Wenger should really announce his contract extension in the morning, it's best things are gonna be at Arsenal for the foreseeable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I am calling it, Pep won't win a single trophy in his (most probable) 3 seasons at City.

But he will change the landscape of English football forever

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

I counted 3 different systems for prolonged periods of the 120 minutes. What was your count?

And then a few shuffle rounds of players that didn't work. Wouldn't call it system alterations by any stretch.

What is your take?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

You gotta question how, having spent so much money in the last few years, the game changing subs available to Guardiola are Fernando, Delph and Iheanacho. That's shocking and barely even relegation standard.
    Whatever about Fernando and Delph but Iheanacho has a good sight for goal and is exactly the type of player you want to come on in a game like this. He's got a great footballing brain and is a fairly clinical striker for someone so young.

• Advertisement

• FA Cup finalists and Champions League regular team.

Fantastic giggles on a Majestic Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Whatever about Fernando and Delph but Iheanacho has a good sight for goal and is exactly the type of player you want to come on in a game like this. He's got a great footballing brain and is a fairly clinical striker for someone so young.

I'm not overly convinced about him for a team that aspires to to level with Barca, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich. The other two are just ridiculous. I accept there's injuries but even so, that's the stuff of comedy.

astradave wrote: »
    But he will change the landscape of English football forever

:D

Until a completely different manager (less glorified, no doubt!) arrives and resorts to the type of football that wins you trophies in England!

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    No trophy for the most expensive team
    And it's game on now in the league

So when does Pep start getting a bit of criticism?

I'm surprised at Arsenal for showing some bottle but deserve to go through

Judge him not now, but when he gets a half a billion worth of transfer funds and wins the League Cup! (Or at least makes the final)

And then a few shuffle rounds of players that didn't work. Wouldn't call it system alterations by any stretch.

What is your take?

I would certainly call them formation alterations. I do think having to sub Silva and move De Bruyne inside limited him a bit though but I think too often when English pundits say "Plan B" their just talking about sticking a big lad up top and hoofing it to him. I think there's more than just 2 ways to play football.

• Advertisement

I would certainly call them formation alterations. I do think having to sub Silva and move De Bruyne inside limited him a bit though but I think too often when English pundits say "Plan B" their just talking about sticking a big lad up top and hoofing it to him. I think there's more than just 2 ways to play football.

Elaborate then on the 3 systems. Putting players in different positions but more or less playing down the same avenues is what I saw? The dynamics didn't alter much and the results of the changes certainly aren't evident.

Elaborate then on the 3 systems. Putting players in different positions but more or less playing down the same avenues is what I saw? The dynamics didn't alter much and the results of the changes certainly aren't evident.

Well I think that inevitably by changing the positioning of the players the avenues also change. When he switched to De Bruyne as the false 9 that was an obvious difference in approach as Sane and Sterling came inside more and looked more willing to run into space behind centre backs. The 3rd was just all out attack with 2 at the back and Clichy high, Sane inside him and Iheanacho leading the line.

I'm not saying the systems worked, though certainly they made some great chances but didn't finish them. But saying he didn't try things isn't a valid criticism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,629 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Fair play to Arsenal. City missed too many big chances again. You gotta question how, having spent so much money in the last few years, the game changing subs available to Guardiola are Fernando, Delph and Iheanacho. That's shocking and barely even relegation standard.

It's very hard for Guardiola to work his magic at City. He is used to having vastly better players on the bench than the opposing team has on the field.

Sand wrote: »
    It's very hard for Guardiola to work his magic at City. He is used to having vastly better players on the bench than the opposing team has on the field.

That's not really true but you probably know that. His methods take time to implement, signs have been there this season of what's to come and it's very promising. None of the other top 6 clubs are bringing on players as poor as Fernando, Delph and Iheanacho to change a big game. It's a sad indictment of the mismanagement of the City first team in the last few years.

Well I think that inevitably by changing the positioning of the players the avenues also change. When he switched to De Bruyne as the false 9 that was an obvious difference in approach as Sane and Sterling came inside more and looked more willing to run into space behind centre backs. The 3rd was just all out attack with 2 at the back and Clichy high, Sane inside him and Iheanacho leading the line.

I'm not saying the systems worked, though certainly they made some great chances but didn't finish them. But saying he didn't try things isn't a valid criticism.
    I disagree (naturally!)

You see what you see!

I also don't think, although you will inevitably disagree, he has formed a strong personal bond with the players. There seems to be a line. This was different to Barca.
    Look at Klopp, how much he is getting out of his players, ditto Poch and Mourinho has a different approach, but it is personal. Wenger is losing this also with this current team, no surprise they often seem "tired" on the pitch.

Those Liverpool players would go through a brick wall for their manager, Pep just doesn't seem to fire up his players.

Same at Bayern. There was a certain detatchment and he just didn't have an animated presence on the touchline. Ancelotti seems to have a different personality.

I disagree (naturally!)

You see what you see!

I also don't think, although you will inevitably disagree, he has formed a strong personal bond with the players. There seems to be a line. This was different to Barca.
    Look at Klopp, how much he is getting out of his players, ditto Poch and Mourinho has a different approach, but it is personal. Wenger is losing this also with this current team, no surprise they often seem "tired" on the pitch.

Those Liverpool players would go through a brick wall for their manager, Pep just doesn't seem to fire up his players.

Same at Bayern. There was a certain detatchment and he just didn't have an animated presence on the touchline. Ancelotti seems to have a different personality.

Haha you called it right. I will disagree! From what I read, he's very professional in his conduct but, over time, his players do warm to him. Dozens of examples of genuine shows of affection for him from his players. I don't think he's as extroverted as Klopp and maybe that might lead to some thinking he's too detached but from all accounts I've come across he's a coach the vast majority of his players will go to war for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,629 ✭✭✭✭Sand

That's not really true but you probably know that. His methods take time to implement, signs have been there this season of what's to come and it's very promising. None of the other top 6 clubs are bringing on players as poor as Fernando, Delph and Iheanacho to change a big game. It's a sad indictment of the mismanagement of the City first team in the last few years.

I agree with you. Arsenal managed to get a 10-2 result against Bayern Munich over two games a few weeks back. You cant expect Guardiola to work miracles with a team as limited as Manchester City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

See you in the final gooners.

:)

Haha you called it right. I will disagree! From what I read, he's very professional in his conduct but, over time, his players do warm to him. Dozens of examples of genuine shows of affection for him from his players. I don't think he's as extroverted as Klopp and maybe that might lead to some thinking he's too detached but from all accounts I've come across he's a coach the vast majority of his players will go to war for.

Divulge! I'm talking here at City

Sand wrote: »
    I agree with you. Arsenal managed to get a 10-2 result against Bayern Munich over two games a few weeks back. You cant expect Guardiola to work miracles with a team as limited as Manchester City.

I feel like you got that wrong...

And for the sake of my mental health I'm gonna discontinue this conversation with you now.

• Advertisement

Divulge! I'm talking here at City

Well I was gonna use examples from Barca and Bayern Munich. It's tougher to get City one's because of the timeframe thus far and because City is a more difficult club to get stories from. Off the top of my head, Sterling and Jesus have talked about him in glowing terms and how he's dealt with the Stones stuff has been exemplary.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

I can't reiterate enough how much I love Guardiola.

I missed the game, at the play ground :( so have to ask why ?

I'm not overly convinced about him for a team that aspires to to level with Barca, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich. The other two are just ridiculous. I accept there's injuries but even so, that's the stuff of comedy.

Like the previous poster I agree with Delph/Fernando, but Iheanacho could become something very special. Id rate him as high as 99% of the 20 year olds around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

irishman86 wrote: »
    I missed the game, at the play ground :( so have to ask why ?

I think at the time AIG posted that, PG was walking around in a nice jumper, talking to his players. This was enough to drive AIG over the edge and forced the display of man-love you witnessed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

FA Cup finalists and Champions League regular team.

Just have to requote this.

Quazzie wrote: »
    I think at the time AIG posted that, PG was walking around in a nice jumper, talking to his players. This was enough to drive AIG over the edge and forced the display of man-love you witnessed

Oh right I thought I missed a big moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Who's in charge of that, bergeristien & some other ex barca lad?

Including this one city's last three seasons have been shocking for the money spent.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Who's in charge of that, bergeristien & some other ex barca lad?

Including this one city's last three seasons have been shocking for the money spent.

Txiki Begiristain would oversee the transfer dealings. They've not gone well. There's been gems like De Bruyne, Sane, Gundogan and Jesus but equally far too many duds, far too many key areas not addressed, too many older players allowed tp stagnate for too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Txiki Begiristain would oversee the transfer dealings. They've not gone well. There's been gems like De Bruyne, Sane, Gundogan and Jesus but equally far too many duds, far too many key areas not addressed, too many older players allowed tp stagnate for too long.

If 3 of your 4 gems are two unproven young lads and a talented but ultimately injury ravaged Gundogan, you're not really doing great. I'll give you De Bruyne, but they had to pay top dollar for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Shame to see the trouble outside the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Where's that reported?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Jayop wrote: »
    Where's that reported?

There is a few videos on twitter. Nothing major tbh a few digs here and there but the majority of fans steered clear of it

https://twitter.com/pintsandpyro/status/856257142038433793

https://twitter.com/mademanjama/status/856239301742473216

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Jayop wrote: »
    Where's that reported?

Few videos up on twitter of fights outside Wembley. Not widespread but fighting in fron of kids, police involved etc. Not nice.

Advertisement