Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help me work out a 'general' fitness routine

• 23-04-2017 5:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭

Hey - a lot of info in this thread - but not sure what to apply to me.

Over the years, I have went from varying levels of fitness (done running/ football/ cycling etc) but never for long periods of time - i.e. I will train for a 10k or a cycling event etc then stop)

Due to busy lifestyle, I am probably on a decline at the momet! Slight overweight (few lbs), haven't ran or a while, back and muscle ache due to lots of sitting.

Right now I want to get back to a decent level of cardio, throw in some stretch type work (yoga, pilates etc for core fitness) and maybe even do a bit of weights for upper body strength. The later point is completely new to me. I don't mean add a lot of muscle mass with protein shakes etc, but I am gonna lose the gut and tone up a bit.

So right now my plan is:
    1. Join Flyefit or similar - use the classes for yoga etc (40 mins class before work etc) - once or twice per week - hoping this will help the core and sort out my bad posture problems.

2. Get out running again to get the cardio fitness up (and cut the gut) - unfortunately I reckon I will need to give up the beer for a few weeks to assist this!

3. With the gym membership I could start lifting some basic weights - this is where I am clueless - There is so much info out there, what is a good program/ good resource for starting this.

The only way I can get this to work is by building a slot into my daily routine. So I am aiming to get going 5 days a week - so any and all forms of exercise that I can slot in would be ideal!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭cmyk

km991148 wrote: »
    Over the years, I have went from varying levels of fitness (done running/ football/ cycling etc) but never for long periods of time - i.e. I will train for a 10k or a cycling event etc then stop)

Pick the discipline (or mix of disciplines) you enjoyed the most to start with and you'll be more likely to keep some consistency.
    Due to busy lifestyle, I am probably on a decline at the momet! Slight overweight (few lbs), haven't ran or a while, back and muscle ache due to lots of sitting.

You won't need anything too drastic to sort any of that out.
    Right now I want to get back to a decent level of cardio, throw in some stretch type work (yoga, pilates etc for core fitness) and maybe even do a bit of weights for upper body strength. The later point is completely new to me.

Sounds like a plan, if you're going for some sort of resistance plan and you're new to it, take the time to learn the technique. I usually opt for a couple of full body workouts for beginners. There are some here that can help with building a picture of variations on how to put some structure on that.
    I don't mean add a lot of muscle mass with protein shakes etc, but I am gonna lose the gut and tone up a bit.

Muscle mass is expensive to accrue, both in terms of monetary expense, but also physiologically. It generally doesn't happen to any great degree by accident.
    So right now my plan is:
    1. Join Flyefit or similar - use the classes for yoga etc (40 mins class before work etc) - once or twice per week - hoping this will help the core and sort out my bad posture problems.

2. Get out running again to get the cardio fitness up (and cut the gut) - unfortunately I reckon I will need to give up the beer for a few weeks to assist this!

All good, start slowly with that and build it over time. Keep healthy and uninjured. Less beer is generally a good rule. Nutrition interventions will affect the biggest change in your weight.
    3. With the gym membership I could start lifting some basic weights - this is where I am clueless - There is so much info out there, what is a good program/ good resource for starting this.

As mentioned above I usually start people on a full body programme a couple of times per week, but I would start with your plan above with regards the yoga/pilates/running first perhaps and see how you feel.
    The only way I can get this to work is by building a slot into my daily routine. So I am aiming to get going 5 days a week - so any and all forms of exercise that I can slot in would be ideal!

There's a lot of evidence to suggest that doing something everyday is a good route to go but it's also an easy route to doing too much. Recovery is as important as training so start slow and build it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

Well OP cmyk has said most of the important stuff. Now, don't jump into everything too quickly. If you want to do yoga, running, and weights all at the same time that's very admirable but start slowly so you don't burn yourself out. I don't know which of the three you enjoy the most but I'd recommend doing a three day weight routine such as StrongLifts 5x5 or Greyskull LP. These routines involve compound lifts 3 times a week so they're full body. Be sure to look up videos on form for barbell movements. IMO Alan Thrall and Omar Isuf are two good youtube channels for that.

With these routines you're supposed to take a day's break between each session. For example you'd lift Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Or Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday etc etc

That leaves you with four days off in which to do cardio and yoga. I'm going to guess yoga classes will just be on certain days so you could go running the days there's no yoga. Or you can just use these days to do nothing and recover.

Remember that the vast majority of weight loss is to do with your diet and it's best to count calories now rather than later.

Good luck on your journey

Advertisement