Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

no sleep for the past week!

Options
  • 23-04-2017 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi as title reads I have had no sleep for the past week.
    There has been one car in the area with non stop shooting. I don't know much if anything about hunting but surely they shouldn't be out til all hours from 7pm some evenings until 5am the following morning.
    The spot light is constantly being shone in on my property same with the neighbours. There up and down the roads with one or two of them hanging out the windows front passenger back driver spot light and/or gun in hand. Its ridiculous!
    They have my nerves shot (no pun intended) to pieces! My dogs are going mad into the small hours of the morning and are extremely stressed and anxious. They now know the sound of the vehicle being used and are stressing out long before a shot goes off. They are in doors at night time but dogs are so sensitive to sounds.
    We also have horses some in foal again inside at night time but still quiet restless.
    Is there anything other than the quiet word that I have already had with them, that didn't work that I can do about this?? Please help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Have you tried the Gaurds??If this lot are as regular as iou say ,it will be no bother to catch them.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Are they shooting from the road? - if so, illegal, ring the Garda.

What are they hunting, if it's deer then, check with your neighbours, if there's a Sec 42 being exercised then talk to the relevant farmer and pass on your concerns.
    I had this issue last year with a Sec 42 - concerned locals, not trespassing or lamping houses, - the farmers we were culling for passed the word we were legitimate.

But if the lads are lamping and acting the magot give the authorities a bell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Try and video them at it, shooting from the public road is a serious offence. Get the number of the car and go to the guards and explain the situation, they are upsetting you, your neighbours and your livestock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

gunny123 wrote: »
    Try and video them at it, shooting from the public road is a serious offence. Get the number of the car and go to the guards and explain the situation, they are upsetting you, your neighbours and your livestock.

Not inly that but of what the op says is ttir, they are dangerous woth firearms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

ceo wrote: »
    Hi as title reads I have had no sleep for the past week.
    There has been one car in the area with non stop shooting. I don't know much if anything about hunting but surely they shouldn't be out til all hours from 7pm some evenings until 5am the following morning.
    The spot light is constantly being shone in on my property same with the neighbours. There up and down the roads with one or two of them hanging out the windows front passenger back driver spot light and/or gun in hand. Its ridiculous!
    They have my nerves shot (no pun intended) to pieces! My dogs are going mad into the small hours of the morning and are extremely stressed and anxious. They now know the sound of the vehicle being used and are stressing out long before a shot goes off. They are in doors at night time but dogs are so sensitive to sounds.
    We also have horses some in foal again inside at night time but still quiet restless.
    Is there anything other than the quiet word that I have already had with them, that didn't work that I can do about this?? Please help!

It is amazing in the week members here tried to fight off the night shooting ban we get a post like this, what are the odds?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

grassroot1 wrote: »
    It is amazing in the week members here tried to fight off the night shooting ban we get a post like this, what are the odds?

The difference being lamping, like all shooting, is fine when done responsibly. A car full of buffoons roaring up and down a road in the dead of night, lamping houses, and taking pot shots from the middle of the road isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ceo

Thank you all for your replies. I will get in touch with the local gardai and hopefully they can have a word with them.

I did read the night time shooting posts after I had posted my post here not realising there was a Shooting forum - but it still woudn't have covered what I need help with.

I don't have any issue with night time shooting as it has been done here in the past, over an hour or two in the night. What I do have issue with is that this is a small area covered by car in 10 minutes or less and covered by foot in 5 to 6 hours if you went into every neighbours field and garden.

The common here would be tiny and easily covered in an hour on foot so spending all evening and night into the early hours of the morning going up and down the road with a spot light and guns with people hanging out of the car windows is really a bit much.

From the replies here these guys are just being a nuissance and a danger to themselves and others what with shooting from the road and from a moving car!

Thanks again.

grassroot1 wrote: »

I read the night time shooting posts after I had posted here and I would like to be clear - night time shooting isn't my main issue. Its the constant non stop shooting that is my issue.
    Evening night morning continuously up and down the road with a spot light guns and people hanging out of the car windows shooting is my issue.
    I always thought shooting involved getting out of the car and stalking something - not driving around letting shots off all over the place.

Do you know what they are shooting at? How many shots are being fired? Would you have an idea of the type of firearms being used?

If it takes only 10 minutes or so to drive the area then what is keeping them in the location all night. This does not sound like the usual tactics of deer poaching, especially done from the roads.

I'm intrigued with this scenario, I'm in no doubt as to your predicament but it's sounds like the wild west, are you in a very isolated area?

Do you know what they are shooting at? How many shots are being fired? Would you have an idea of the type of firearms being used?

If it takes only 10 minutes or so to drive the area then what is keeping them in the location all night. This does not sound like the usual tactics of deer poaching, especially done from the roads.

I'm intrigued with this scenario, I'm in no doubt
    as to your predicament but it's sounds like the wild west, are you in a very isolated area?

No deers in this area. And no we are not isolated. We are 4 minutes by car from a main road that leads to local town say 5 minutes drive away. Closest neighbour less than 2 minutes walk either side of me. They have had there fill of them this past week too.
    I don't know what type of firearm other than its long like a shotgun I'm sure there are many types. I'm guessing they're shooting at rabbits foxes or wild ducks. As for shots fired it can one after the other so probably 60 to 100 maybe more. Other than the sound I haven't counted. But it goes on forever or it certainly feels that way. Friday night from 11.30pm I was going to bed they were out it was non stop up until after 1 am. I had the house lit up like a christmas tree so they would know I was up and I was hoping they would go away as I wouldn't approach them that late on my own. The neighbours were the same lights on with one of them roaring at them to go home - they left but were back at 3am at the same again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sniperman

its indeed a mystery as to what these guys are firing shots all over the place at,i mean no fox or rabbit would hang around with that racket going on,i night shoot with my 223 moderated,and after one shot,i dont see anything for another field or two:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

ceo wrote: »
    I read the night time shooting posts after I had posted here and I would like to be clear - night time shooting isn't my main issue. Its the constant non stop shooting that is my issue.
    Evening night morning continuously up and down the road with a spot light guns and people hanging out of the car windows shooting is my issue.
    I always thought shooting involved getting out of the car and stalking something - not driving around letting shots off all over the place.

What I find so interesting is that on you posted on the huntings section on boards about this problem. There is no mention of you contacting the Gardai and you are very specific about the times involved (they fit in nicely with the proposed curfew hours BTW)
    What exactly do you hope to achieve by posting in the hunting section.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

They are driving around a small 10min route for three hours? And they have been doing it every night for a week? Hard to believe.

lol

What I would say to you based on your editing on your last post- this is not hunting in any form be it legal or illegal.
    If the situation is as bad as you portray then why haven't you or your neighbours contacted the authorities or the media by now. This is your only legitimate option as men like Yul Brunner are long gone. Best of luck with you predicament.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sniperman

im starting to think its some kind of wind up,or a deliberate attempt to shine a bad light on night shooting/lamping.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

Why not Just call the Gardai? This basically just sounds like anti social behaviour, even without the shooting guys driving up and down country roads all night shining lamps in at houses would worry me. What more do you want to get from boards, if your house went on fire would you start a thread asking advice or just call the brigade??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

What I said in my 1st post..Why not call AGS as the first thing??Especially in such a small road area and with that kind of predictability and regularity,it would be the easiest collar for any of the boys&girls in blue?
    Next question...What condition are the road signs in the area?Giving benefit of the veracity of the story from the OP,there are indeed in every county some butt fck idiots who think it great craic to shoot road signs from cars in the dead of night:mad:This crew sound like some of them.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The answer to these posts will always be, Ring the Gardaí.

We are not the internet police or the real ones. We cannot advise you on the legal course of action nor should anyone.

The hunting forum is for the discussion of hunting related topics, not alleged criminality.

Thread closed.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement