Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cranks: Gossamer vs 105 vs Ultegra

Options
  • 23-04-2017 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭

My good bike has FSA Gossamer 386EVO cranks (170mm).

I'm keen to get some 165mm cranks, as I believe they might suit me better.

The rest of my groupset is Ultegra 6800, so Ultegra cranks seem like the logical thing to go for. However, they're pretty pricey at around £160/€190.

The 105 5800 cranks are about £90/€105. It's a significant price difference, but is it worth the extra for Ultegra?

Has anyone got experience with both? Is the Ultegra much lighter? Stiffer? Easier to keep clean? Will I notice a downgrade/upgrade from Gossamer to either of these Shimano options?

I haven't seen an FSA Gossamer 386EVO in size 165mm anywhere, or else I'd consider those too (I wouldn't need to replace the bottom bracket).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

gaffmaster wrote: »
    My good bike has FSA Gossamer 386EVO cranks (170mm).

I'm keen to get some 165mm cranks, as I believe they might suit me better.

The rest of my groupset is Ultegra 6800, so Ultegra cranks seem like the logical thing to go for. However, they're pretty pricey at around £160/€190.

The 105 5800 cranks are about £90/€105. It's a significant price difference, but is it worth the extra for Ultegra?

Has anyone got experience with both? Is the Ultegra much lighter? Stiffer? Easier to keep clean? Will I notice a downgrade/upgrade from Gossamer to either of these Shimano options?

I haven't seen an FSA Gossamer 386EVO in size 165mm anywhere, or else I'd consider those too (I wouldn't need to replace the bottom bracket).

You don't necessarily need to replace the bottom bracket, just get these adapters http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/fsa-bb386-evo-24-reducer-for-shimano-cranks/

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

Daroxtar wrote: »
    You don't necessarily need to replace the bottom bracket, just get these adapters http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/fsa-bb386-evo-24-reducer-for-shimano-cranks/

Thanks! That's quite a neat solution. At least until the BB needs replacing.

Anyone got experience with 105 and Ultegra Cranks? Is there a big difference?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

gaffmaster wrote: »
    Thanks! That's quite a neat solution. At least until the BB needs replacing.

Anyone got experience with 105 and Ultegra Cranks? Is there a big difference?

Thanks.

I would defy anyone to tell the difference in the two while pedalling. The 105 cranks weigh a few grammes more but nothing you or I would ever notice. Unless you have an otherwise complete 6800 groupset then i would just go with 105.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

I would defy anyone to tell the difference in the two while pedalling. The 105 cranks weigh a few grammes more but nothing you or I would ever notice. Unless you have an otherwise complete 6800 groupset then i would just go with 105.

I definitely noticed the 6800 were that bit stiffer but given the price difference I'm not sure it's worth it. I upgraded at the time because I was in a bind and needed a crankset asap and they were the only ones in stock at my preferred crank length.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Ultegra is a bit lighter and stiffer, the finish is better on the crank so easier to clean too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gmacww

I'm always curious when club riders comment on the stiffness of cranks. Are they talking about the chainrings or the actual crank? Reason I say this is that I ride and race with a Gossamer crank albeit with upgrade FSA chainrings. The reason for this is that I did find the stock gossamer chain rings not great and wore quite quickly. This seems to be a common complaint. But it's gossamer crank on BB30.

Someone in the club commented last summer that they can't understand how I ride with gossamer cranks as they find them spongy, very flexible and they lose too much power. I find this funny. Fabien Cancellara won Paris Roubaix, Milan San Remo and a stage of the TDF on a Gossamer crank. I think if that's good enough for him at that level it's good enough for me cycling around Dublin and Wicklow roads. Not meaning to downgrade my own ability but I'm going to go out a limb here and say he probably puts out slightly more power than I do. If he can't feel the stiffness can club riders really feel it?

If you want to upgrade you're not going to notice the difference in stiffness. Your upgrade will be primarily weight. That said your biggest issue is the press fit bottom bracket. They are good but are known to squeek for no reason. A good few people for this reason, and for reasons of aesthetic use Shimano cranks with adapters.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Borderfox wrote: »
    Ultegra is a bit lighter and stiffer, the finish is better on the crank so easier to clean too

Aaaaah...that's the placebo effect, it comes as standard with Ultegra and Dura Ace.

Advertisement