Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saunas and Shame

• 23-04-2017 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭

I've started this thread to reply to some stuff in the Boiler house thread that was going off topic.
    "The real motivator for men to use saunas isn’t just any old sex though – it’s a specific type. Cheap and anonymous, it requires none of the responsibilities of a relationship. The cheap part is easy to pass off, but the need for anonymity and the fear of intimacy are more complex social issues. We can’t ignore the reality that some gay men are addicted to one-night stands and, because of arrested development and/or internalised homophobia, run the risk of never achieving their potential for finding long-term partners.

I’ve no doubt that many of the lads who frequent saunas are happy and fulfilled in their lives. However, on my visits I’ve seen a lot of drunken desperation, sometimes laced with thinly veiled shame and internalised agesim."

http://theoutmost.com/.../trouble-gay-saunas/

This article sums up the problem with queer theory type approaches. This guy admits saunas make him feel bad. So he sees them through this shameful lens.

What behaviour exactly constitutes "thinly veiled shame"? Basically the author saw something he didn't like, and then ascribed the label "result.of shame" with zero evidence that this behaviour resulted from shame. He sees what he wants to see. It doesn't matter how guys in saunas behave to the author. He feels ashamed, thinks other people must also feel ashamed, and therefore sees any behaviour he doesn't like as driven by shame.

It's like asking an anti gay rights campaigner to go.to a gay bar and report back on the behaviour they see. Hardly to be taken as impartial.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

No shame in going to a sauna. I actually met my ex in the Boilerhouse in 2000 and we were together for nearly 10 years and are still very close friends.

As long as you play safe and don't harass others I don't see the problem. On the Continent there are some amazing saunas with full swimming pools and lounges.

I can see how saunas would act as an outlet for closeted gay men. But gay men of all sorts use saunas.

Advertisement