Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet training - seems to be going backwards!

Options
  • 23-04-2017 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭

I was sure there was a potty training thread in here but I couldn't find it, apologies for starting a new one if there is. I recently (February) trained my 3yr old son. I deliberately held off until he was over 3, and to be fair. He got it within 3 or 4 days. The poos took bit longer, and he's still in nappies at night, but other than a couple of accidents in the first day or two he's been great.
    In the last week or two though, he's been having loads of accidents. Yesterday, I took him out to the shops, he peed before we went out but half an hour later, he had a big accident in the supermarket. I changed him & he headed home, but he wet again in the car. He's having small accidents all day, several times. He's being brought to the toilet regularly, he hasn't changed his fluid intake and doesn't seem unwell.
    Does anyone have any theories on this sudden regression? Is it a common enough occurrence? Montessori starts in September so I'd like to be on top of it by then. Many thanks.

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Has anything changed in his life? Could be that - even happy occasions can have a knock on effect. I know someone who had potty training sorted then went on holiday and that was enough to regress.

The other thing I'd consider is a possible UTI or sometimes if they are holding in their poos (which almost all kids will do during potty training) they can have wee accidents as a result.

Keep with it, you'll probably have it on track for September anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

My son was much like this and still can be a bit at times. To be fair, he has some sensory difficulties and I think that when he is overtired, he doesn't feel the need to pee until it's upon him. Most of the time he's great but he can lapse every 5/6 weeks. I always have to be vigilant and keep spare clothes in the car or know where the closest toilets are. It'll probably pass but if it doesn't maybe just get him checked out to be sure it's not something more suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Thanks for the replies. Neyite, nothing's changed as far as I can tell - same room, same bed, etc. He does tend to hold the poos until he has a nappy on, so maybe it's just that. I don't think it's a UTI, but I think I'll get that ruled out just to make sure.
    Yellow hen, he was a little behind on his developmental milestones, but he's caught up now. Hopefully it is just a phase, it is still early days I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Just an idea based on mine, but has the prospect of school been mentioned in his ear shot? It might be freaking out about that. My eldest doesn't like the thought of leaving play school for low babies this September and gets upset so we stopped talking about it around her

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Ugh. Potty training. We have a girl, younger than your boy admittedly. She went through a similar phase. Honestly, I just go EVERYWHERE with a minimum of 2 clothes changes with me. And I try to make sure she always sits on the toilet before we go out to do something. Definitely rule out the UTI, but otherwise, persevere. They have a lot to learn - how to do it in the potty, the sensation of doing it, and also the feeling of a full bladder meaning that they need to go again - and that message making it from bladder to brain, and then brain to mouth to ask!!!His body may just be trying to figure out all those different sensations, and be a bit unsure when it's ok to go still. It's very early days.
    Also we're finding the poo thing takes waaaaayy longer. I feel I deserve a prize somedays for my patience with it.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

The poo does take forever :D He did one yesterday in my mams bathroom, and called the entire extended family up to have a look! Persevere I suppose, and get used to washing pants!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

nikpmup wrote: »
    The poo does take forever :D He did one yesterday in my mams bathroom, and called the entire extended family up to have a look! Persevere I suppose, and get used to washing pants!

That's hilarious!!God yes, it's tough.I'm not sure I see light at the end of the tunnel with it yet!lots of washing....

Advertisement