Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question on ESB charge points from Limerick to Cork

• 23-04-2017 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

Hi There

Bit of a newbie question
    Getting a 2nd hand leaf end of week from Limerick (2013 6.6kw 12 bar showing)

Web says that its a realistic range of about 70 miles
    Cork to limerick is around 65 miles -- :)

But as I am pretty new on this - - dont want to mess up too much on the first day

Been looking charge points between both citys
    https://www.zap-map.com/live/
    https://www.esb.ie/our-businesses/ecars/charge-point-map

Theres no Rapid charge really between both - but I do see a few type 2 (22KW) charging points in Charleville

How long would you need to get a top up of approx 10-20 miles using these type of chargers? (enough to make me feel okay :)

Or is there a better way of going down south?

Anyhow - -cheers in advance and apologies for asking basic questions

Regards
    Dan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Come down via Fermoy. Fast charger in Supervalu. OH used it a few days ago.
    15/20 mins and away.

I think mid 2013 was a change time in Leaf to Gen 11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I did that run a few weeks ago. Covered 94km in a 24kWh Leaf without stopping and had 20%+ still left.

If it's your first trip in a Leaf just drive a bit slower(100kmh or less) until you are comfortable with its range and how to judge it.

Since you have the 6.6kW charger an hour on the slow chargers would add 30-40km.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,828 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

One for the Leaf experts - does 6.6kW charger mean it must be a gen 2 Leaf (with the better battery)?

I don't think 100km will be a problem this time of year if you stick to 100km/h, but for your first trip probably better to be safe than sorry and charge somewhere. Quite possible that your car isn't 100% charged when you pick it up either.

Best of luck & keep us updated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

unkel wrote: »
    One for the Leaf experts - does 6.6kW charger mean it must be a gen 2 Leaf (with the better battery)?

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

6.6kw Leaf will add 30-35% per hour. You'll get 1 mile (1.6km) per %, unless you drive the stones out of it.

I kind of work of a 60 mile range theory, which assumes starting at 80% and plugging in at 20%.

• Advertisement

Yeah, but probably better known as the 1.5. The 30kw isn't known as the 2 either, probably the 1.75.

n97 mini wrote: »
    You'll get 1 mile (1.6km) per %, unless you drive the stones out of it.

The op is getting a 24kWh, your figures are for a 30kWh. You won't get 160km in a 24kWh Leaf! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭olearydc

Water John wrote: »
    Come down via Fermoy. Fast charger in Supervalu. OH used it a few days ago.
    15/20 mins and away.

I think mid 2013 was a change time in Leaf to Gen 11

Fermoy, Thats a great idea - -cheers

KCross wrote: »
    The op is getting a 24kWh, your figures are for a 30kWh. You won't get 160km in a 24kWh Leaf! :)

Nope. We have a 24kw Leaf, in which I've done about 6000 miles, and my experiences are purely based on that.

I work off 1% = 1 mile generally. Motorways and steep hills etc excepted. As I said above the SOC is usually 80% to 20% and I get 60 miles out of that without issue.

I work off 1% = 1 mile generally.

Then 100% = 100 miles = 161km

That's impossible in a 24kWh Leaf. That's why I guess KCross reckoned you were talking about a 30kWh Leaf!

• Advertisement

Then 100% = 100 miles = 161km

That's impossible in a 24kWh Leaf. That's why I guess KCross reckoned you were talking about a 30kWh Leaf!

Have you tried it yourself? I really do dislike when people tell me that I can't do what I have already done in my own car. Reminds me of the motors forum and people telling me I couldn't possibly get 1000km to a (50L (using about 46L)) tank in a Civic IMA and that only a VAG TDi could achieve such a feat, what with all those heavy batteries weighing my car down and all!

From 100% to 0% 161km is very probably possible. In fact if you stuck to less than 80km/h it's probably more. I haven't driven to less than about 10% SOC so I can't confirm.

Not that it's anything to seriously go by, but the last time I charged to 100% the GOM stated 162km as the range. It takes its cues from driving history.

Fair enough. If you achieved using just 1l of petrol per 22km in your Civic, I guess getting 161km from your Leaf was child's play :)

Fair enough. If you achieved using just 1l of petrol per 22km in your Civic, I guess getting 161km from your Leaf was child's play :)

Lol, stop using confusing consumption figures! 1L to 22km is about 4.5L/100km, or around 52mpg. Not that amazing by modern standards, but that's really a minimum. It will do around 65mpg if driven gently and my daughter gets 74mpg out of it driving to college as she knows she's paying for petrol! (22 miles each way)

It has various indicators that show levels of regen, up/down shift indicators, instantaneous consumption, overall consumption etc., so it really beats good driving practices into you. And a set of front brake pads lasts 100k miles!

Downside is it has little poke at speeds so overtaking at 60mph requires planning.

Lol, stop using confusing consumption figures! 1L to 22km is about 4.5L/100km, or around 52mpg.

Sorry about that, the km per 1l is something I grew up with. 1l per 22km is indeed about 4.5l/100km, but the last bit of your maths isn't quite right, it's around 63mpg, not 52mpg :p

Great to see your daughter is doing even better than you in hypermiling. My eldest (turned 13 last week) is already claiming ownership of the Ioniq for when she is legal to drive :)

Sorry about that, the km per 1l is something I grew up with. 1l per 22km is indeed about 4.5l/100km, but the last bit of your maths isn't quite right, it's around 63mpg, not 52mpg :p

I knew that didn't look quite right but that's google for you! US vs Imperial mpg.

Trust yourself, your daughter, excel or even an old skool calculator before you rely on calculations from Google again :D

Great to see your daughter is doing even better than you in hypermiling.

Hypermiling is not really a thing you can do in the Civic IMA. It's a Prius thing. The best you can do is look at the instruments and adjust your driving accordingly.
    My eldest (turned 13 last week) is already claiming ownership of the Ioniq for when she is legal to drive :)

Great that a new generation is coming up who will probably never know oil filters, fuel pumps, turbo chargers etc. Confined to the bin of history, like cigarettes, asbestos, hair perms, and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Nope. We have a 24kw Leaf, in which I've done about 6000 miles, and my experiences are purely based on that.

I work off 1% = 1 mile generally. Motorways and steep hills etc excepted. As I said above the SOC is usually 80% to 20% and I get 60 miles out of that without issue.

I have far too little experience with the Leaf - but that is exactly the economy figure I had experienced. Started with 200km of indicated range (30 kWh Leaf), I did 160km and exactly 39 were left... That would give me exactly 159km of of the smaller battery.
    Have you tried it yourself? I really do dislike when people tell me that I can't do what I have already done in my own car. Reminds me of the motors forum and people telling me I couldn't possibly get 1000km to a (50L (using about 46L)) tank in a Civic IMA and that only a VAG TDi could achieve such a feat, what with all those heavy batteries weighing my car down and all!

I'll put my figures in context too. In a Prius, if I wanted, I was doing Cork-Killarney-Cork with average far below 4.0l/100km.
    Hypermiling is not really a thing you can do in the Civic IMA. It's a Prius thing. The best you can do is look at the instruments and adjust your driving accordingly.

You can hypermile in any car. It is Pulse&Glide you can do only in the Prius...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I'd be surprised if a 24 kWh Leaf couldn't do Limerick to Cork on the N20. With typical traffic and all the small towns you have to go through (assuming you're sticking to the limits), your average speed will be well below 100 km/h. A lot of it follows the railway so is reasonably flat too. And there's an FCP in north Cork city right on the N20 (only about 96 km from Limerick), with no detours required.

Going via Fermoy will add significant distance and time, and will mean you'll definitely have to charge along the way. The options for getting onto the M8 from Limerick are crap IMO (the R513 makes the N20 look like a good road!).

I guess technically its possible if you drive slow enough but I dont think you'd get 160km from a 24kWh with "normal" driving from Cork to Limerick. I did that run a few weeks ago and I wasnt driving fast. As stated, I did 94km and had 20% ish left which would put my total if you drove it to empty to about 120km which is generally what people suggest it is capable of. Certainly nowhere near 160km. The speakEV forum does have some folks who have achieved 100 miles but they are hypermilers which isnt normal driving. They have a thread on it.

My yardstick was that the 24kWh Leaf would typically do 1%=1km and the 30kWh Leaf would do 1%=1mile(1.6km) for "normal" driving with a bit to spare as no one drives to 0%.

Do you think 160km is typical in a 24kWh Leaf.... I dont think it is. Alot of the 30kWh owners suggest their normal is 160-180km so I think its going to mislead new people on here if you suggest that 160km is normal for a 24kWh Leaf.

Its like the 300km videos unkel likes to keep showing us on the Ioniq but the reality is its a 200km "normal speed" car.

We can agree the OP can do that run without stopping in a 24kWh Leaf if he keeps the speed down. :)

• Advertisement

grogi wrote: »
    You can hyper mile in any car. It is Pulse&Glide you can do only in the Prius...

Sorry, my bad, I meant P+G specifically. Drafting is also mentioned under hypermiling, but it's a sure way to get a cracked windscreen so I don't do it either.
    Do you think 160km is typical in a 24kWh Leaf.... I dont think it is.

No, as that means you drive down to 0%. But 1% per mile or very close is usually attainable for me. But I do anticipate traffic so that I'm braking as little as possible and keep speeds under about 85km/h to get that.

Its like the 300km videos unkel likes to keep showing us on the Ioniq

350km actually :p

On motorways around Seoul. Several owners in Germany and the Netherlands are reporting 300km range in their daily driving. Agree with all your points above though. With a heavy foot / no hypermiling tactics / normal driving like most people do, I very much doubt anyone could get anywhere near that. If I had a Leaf, I'd be happy with 100-120km. With the Ioniq, I'm more than happy with 200km.

With a heavy foot / no hypermiling tactics / normal driving like most people do,

I think normal is subjective. For me normal isn't stomping on pedals, and hasn't been for years. It really depends on what you came from before though.

Then let's call it average driving, as in like most people do. Not thinking about trying to be efficient, not trying to be smooth, just average Joe Bloggs driving.

That said, it would be very interesting to see what your range would be in an Ioniq. I'd say well over 300km :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Zilog, where in North Cork is the FCP?
    The OP is new to the car. He/she wants to get down without any stress. Can be testing the range of the car in his own time.
    The Limerick - Mitchelstown isn't worse than Mallow-Croom.
    Most EV drivers don't mind the extra miles, there free. People often use the old road networks rather than the motorway.
    OP is a newbie.

Water John wrote: »
    Zilog, where in North Cork is the FCP?
    The OP is new to the car. He/she wants to get down without any stress. Can be testing the range of the car in his own time.
    The Limerick - Mitchelstown isn't worse than Mallow-Croom.
    Most EV drivers don't mind the extra miles, there free. People often use the old road networks rather than the motorway.
    OP is a newbie.

I suspect he is referring to the one on the northside of Cork as opposed to North Cork (Fermoy).

The one on the N20 as you come into Cork is in the Topaz on the Commons Road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Sorry, I meant North Cork city, i.e. the Topaz on the Commons Rd. It's still a good 2 miles north of the city centre (less than 60 miles from Limerick) and requires no diversions. I can't see making that in a fully charged Leaf being a problem.

The N20 is a lot easier if you're not used to driving to Limerick - it's pretty much one road for the entire journey. The R513 has several dangerous bends and confusing junctions, in comparison.

grogi wrote: »
    I'll put my figures in context too. In a Prius, if I wanted, I was doing Cork-Killarney-Cork with average far below 4.0l/100km.
    Daughter does about 3.8l/100km on her round trip to college. Maybe the big difference is she only weighs about half as much as I do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭olearydc

Hi All

Just want to say thanks for your information and advice on my first drive

Went up with my dad to pick up Car – handed over the cash and seller was good enough to give me a demo on main points before I left
    (also offered to lend a ecard for charging points - -I had just received a new card myself this week –but gesture was appreciated)

Just to let you know was able to come from Limerick to Cork without too many issues
    Was about to go via Fermoy but ESB app said that it was occupied - would have been pretty positive that would have been free when I got there but went via Charleville instead just in case

Went to first point in Charleville next to church – tried to use card on charger but keep failing - - was my first time doing this with a card so assumed it was my fault – tried everything and looked at video again on utube! But no joy
    Phoned ESB up and they tried to reboot charger remotely but that failed also but there is another point in same town. I am not too familiar with this place so used the Sat Nav to get to next place - --of course I went all over the place and after about 7 km up and down country roads, even passing the church after 6km  found the next charging point ( Think I would have been able to get to cork without charging but definitely after my excursion - -needed this to be okay ---just to make it more relaxing and not worried about range etc..)

It worked fine and gave it 40 min or so while we had a cuppa and bag of crisps – typical oleary fare

Went back on the road and got home with 40km spare - -

Car itself

Love the power (compared to my old 1.4 diesel car)
    Bits and bobs seem to be working fine except heated steering wheel
    Love the gadgets which I did not have before
    Heater works grand
    Kids love it and my wife will use it more than her old car when in city, once she gets used to it

Cheers again for advice

Regards

• Advertisement
Advertisement