Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frost alert next week (last of April 2017)

Options
  • 23-04-2017 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Frost warnings and hail and sleet,min. 0 to 4 degrees, with frost in some places across the county,more HERE .
    Confirmed HERE,as well... near frost temp.

I was planing to use some polytunnel foil over my trees in the small back garden,juct covering them so that heavy rain drops and "hail and sleet" will not damage the flower / fruit of the branches.

Most of the stawberries plants are still in the greenhouse,waiting for the last frost this year.
    Front garden plants / flowers, i am covering them overnight with same foil.

How do you protect the plants / trees ,if any at all ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

rolion wrote: »
    Hello,

Frost warnings and hail and sleet,min. 0 to 4 degrees, with frost in some places across the county,more HERE .
    Confirmed HERE,as well... near frost temp.

I was planing to use some polytunnel foil over my trees in the small back garden,juct covering them so that heavy rain drops and "hail and sleet" will not damage the flower / fruit of the branches.

Most of the stawberries plants are still in the greenhouse,waiting for the last frost this year.
    Front garden plants / flowers, i am covering them overnight with same foil.

How do you protect the plants / trees ,if any at all ?
    Ask yourself this question and you'll find the answer, how have plants survived and thrived for millennia?, it's nature not nurture.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I'm just going to put a few plastic pots upside down with newspaper crunched under them over any plants i'm worried about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Ask yourself this question and you'll find the answer, how have plants survived and thrived for millennia?, it's nature not nurture.

I'm pretty sure the OP means any annuals that have been put out & also new buds/leaves on the trees. They don't like frost

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Ahh, yes for native species but gardeners tend to plant more exotic species for their zone and so when late frosts come they may need to put out a bit of protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

Knine wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the OP means any annuals that have been put out & also new buds/leaves on the trees. They don't like frost
    _Brian wrote: »
    Ahh, yes for native species but gardeners tend to plant more exotic species for their zone and so when late frosts come they may need to put out a bit of protection.

Climb down boyz and read the OP, his question was about trees and shrubs, no mention of annuals/bedding or exotic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

(s)he did mention a concern about the blossoms. a frost is not going to kill the tree, sure, but can affect how it crops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hi,

Sorry.

I covered the beds / flowers that were planted last weekend,in the front of the house.

I have 4 trees in me back garden,small height,maybe 1.5m and i covered them with the leftovers plastic foils fom the greenhouse.
    They are fully blossomed and back in the past,last year,it was frost and heavy rain drops that kicked the flowers / the buts and destroyed more than half of the trees' potential fruits. Took the option to protect them this year,no matter how silly it looks !

You make sure that take care of your lovely plants / trees these days and nights ... and they will reward you later .

Advertisement