Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting to the centre daily from Waterville

Options
  • 24-04-2017 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hi,

I lived in Waterville and really liked there.
    I may move there again there but now I need to commute to town to work daily.

Current I found moving to Royal Canal Park, Ashtown is good for commuting because it is closer to the city around half the way of Waterville and it is walk distance to train stations.
    But at there, apartments are smaller compared to Waterville and denser, also no natural gas. Waterville is also kinda bit... lovelier.

If I'd go with Waterville, which has a better quality of housing in my opinion, the question is would it be difficult to go to south side of the city i.e. Stephen's Green every day?

There is 38 or 39 after passing the bridge but that would take an hour every day and an hour back.

What about cycling to Castleknock station, leaving the bike at the bike park there and taking the train? The train should be at Grand Canal station in less than half an hour and it is a 2.5km cycle to Castleknock station, which should be quick like walking up to the bus stop.

Or what about taking 38/39 to Ashtown train station then taking the train from there, would that be logical too?

Any of you guys commuting to town from around Waterville and how do you do it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Cycle and get the train. Better still get a folding bike so you can cycle both ends. The whole way to Stephens green is 40 mins on a bicycle. I doubt you'll beat that even using the train.

You have the Luas BXD soon also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

It doesn't take an hour. There's a high speed 38a plus a special commuter one. I get into town by bus in 40 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

You could always cycle the entire way. Cycle through the village and on through the phoenix park - about 12/13km which should take no more than 40 mins - that time doesn't change when public transport is delayed or when there is heavy traffic etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

If you're going to cycle as far as the station, you'd be as well to just keep going and keep cycling all the way.

An alternative to the route axer proposed is to go along the canal. There's a path that runs along side and takes you over the M50 and then down past Ashtown and into town that way.

If the journey to town is your priority you'd be as well to stick with Royal Canal Park for another few months yet. From December there'll be the Luas line from Broombridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

I find going through Killorglin the best option. You'd want to be fairly handy on the bike though if you're going to be doing it every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Seregwethrin

If you're going to cycle as far as the station, you'd be as well to just keep going and keep cycling all the way.

An alternative to the route axer proposed is to go along the canal. There's a path that runs along side and takes you over the M50 and then down past Ashtown and into town that way.

If the journey to town is your priority you'd be as well to stick with Royal Canal Park for another few months yet. From December there'll be the Luas line from Broombridge.

When Luas comes to Broomsbridge then Royal Canal Park will be ideal. But might as well take 38/a/b from Waterville and hop on to the Luas at Cabra.
    Don't you think both places will benefit from there?

My experience is the quays and O'Connell bridge makes the journey longer with bus, Waterville to Cabra should still be like 10-15 minutes, no? That's why the train is faster as it doesn't get into the quays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

REBELSAFC wrote: »
    I find going through Killorglin the best option. You'd want to be fairly handy on the bike though if you're going to be doing it every day.

:D

Waterville, Dublin 15 not Co. Kerry!

I drive, the bus is grand in the morning but the lack of outbound bus lane means the journey home takes forever. New bus lane going in on the Navan road very soon, might improve that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

When Luas comes to Broomsbridge then Royal Canal Park will be ideal. But might as well take 38/a/b from Waterville and hop on to the Luas at Cabra.
    The 38/a/b runs along Navan Road. This is not near Broombridge station.

If your company has a Bike To Work scheme you could use that to get a good bike at a good price. If you get a cheap bike then cycling to city centre will not be nice and bike parts will break. A good bike will be lighter, faster and last longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

daymobrew wrote: »
    The 38/a/b runs along Navan Road. This is not near Broombridge station.

If your company has a Bike To Work scheme you could use that to get a good bike at a good price. If you get a cheap bike then cycling to city centre will not be nice and bike parts will break. A good bike will be lighter, faster and last longer.

OP mentions Cabra station, though I think the stop which will be known as Phibsborough is the one he means.
    The bus passes by it, but the nearest stop for the 38s seems to be about 350m walk away.

That route will add 7-10minutes to the journey from Waterville and add the cost of a Luas ticket to that of a bus ticket. It doesn't strike me as very practical, though I guess he'd miss the Cabra bottleneck.

If you're going to cycle as far as the station, you'd be as well to just keep going and keep cycling all the way.....

Its quite a difference cycling 40 mins every day and 10 mins every day.

I do bit of both cycle the whole or get the train. Similar journey.

If you are considering a folding bike. Pick one that is light, and folds small. Because the trains are overcrowded. There isn't room for anything that isn't light and compact. Hardly room for air on the trains these days.

If you plan on leaving a bike at the station I would use the bike lockers (if there is one) not the bike stand. I don't know if the bikes on the stands get damaged/stolen much, but why not use the lockers.

• Advertisement

If I was doing it I'd consider catching the docklands train, much faster into town. Then cycle up to Stephens green via the canal around a 13~15 min cycle. Less time jammed on a train.

You might be able to use a Dublin bike. Used to be impossible to get them so I bought a cheap folding bike. Lot more Dublin bikes available these days though. The folding bike saves a lot of time though.

I'd also say that travelling by train and bike even if it takes the same time or even longer than the car, is far more enjoyable, than driving through soul destroying traffic everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

beauf wrote: »
    Its quite a difference cycling 40 mins every day and 10 mins every day.
    Not a lot of difference really as you still have to get stuff ready if cycling at all plus the hassle of a folding bike. Cycling the whole way would be much quicker than 10 mins cycling to station, waiting 5-10 minutes for train, train journey (30 mins), exiting station, another 10-15 minutes cycle. That's over an hour at best (assuming train running on time etc) compared to a guaranteed 40 mins cycle (45 mins going really slow).

For me there s a lot more "get stuff ready" for cycling 40 mins on a full bike than 20 on a folding bike. Folding bike sits under my desk. No need to lock it. No need to change clothes. 10 mins in the rain is a lot less than 40 mins. Take me about 10~15 mins to lock the full sized bike in the cage at work, change and get to my desk. If I get off the train at Drumcondra I will beat someone staying on the train to Connolly. If using the docklands Station its about 15~20 mins quicker than the Connolly train. I would reckon you'd beat someone getting off at Pearse. Only problem with a folding bike is you need a compact one, and the trains are ridiculously packed, with no (easy) facilities for luggage if the corridor and doorways are jammed solid with people.

Multi-modal is the future with Luas, Dart, BXD. Especially if you are not into cycling.

Cycling 40 mins each way is easily doable. Its not for everyone though. I used to cycle 45~60 mins each way. Wasn't convenient doing it every day though. Everyone should try it most people be pleasantly how surprised how enjoyable it is. You also get exercise in, killing two birds with one stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

axer wrote: »
    Not a lot of difference really as you still have to get stuff ready if cycling at all plus the hassle of a folding bike. Cycling the whole way would be much quicker than 10 mins cycling to station, waiting 5-10 minutes for train, train journey (30 mins), exiting station, another 10-15 minutes cycle. That's over an hour at best (assuming train running on time etc) compared to a guaranteed 40 mins cycle (45 mins going really slow).

I'd agree with most of this. I cycle 14km door to door each way every day, average cycle time is 35mins and quite liberating as I'm not governed by timetables, traffic or for the most part weather. You avoid most of the cold and flues festering on packed trains and buses, save a good deal in commuting fare and get some exercise in return.

I used to have a shorter commute of 5.5km a couple of years ago but it involved the same preparation time involving changing clothes and securing bike so only increase is the cycle time itself.

You can't beat the bike if within 20km of your destination anywhere in the greater Dublin area.

I've no idea why you'd change clothes for 10 min cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

beauf wrote: »
    I've no idea why you'd change clothes for 10 min cycle.

Over the space of a year the seat of most of my jeans were worn away prior to changing. Also handy having cycling gear as makes rain pretty much irrelevant and having dry clothes to change into rather than sweating your way in waterproofs.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 TheManthatsDan

You dont need to wear full Lycra or anything,

I wear nylon shorts over compression trousers (No jocks needed), and a light nylon jacket over a jersey type thing, pair of black Adidas runners, black socks, black gloves...

You could get the whole outfit minus the runners for around 40 quid on sports direct, anything heavier will still be wet when you put it back out after work...nasty.

Over the space of a year the seat of most of my jeans were worn away prior to changing. Also handy having cycling gear as makes rain pretty much irrelevant and having dry clothes to change into rather than sweating your way in waterproofs.

Yes but that was a 35min cycle. Not a 10 min cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭donaghs

axer wrote: »
    You could always cycle the entire way. Cycle through the village and on through the phoenix park - about 12/13km which should take no more than 40 mins - that time doesn't change when public transport is delayed or when there is heavy traffic etc.

Google maps says 11K if you go through Connolly Hospital, the bell pub, Castleknock village and the park. Totally doable if you like cycling and have change/shower facilities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

You're better avoiding Castleknock village on the bike, because it's narrow and congested there's little space to get by cars. Better route is to head towards the 12th Lock, over the pedestrian bridge and up Auburn Avenue, bypassing it altogether.

Using the canal or the park. You're off road for half of it anyway. We're past the time of year you'll need lights too. So even better.

Advertisement