Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how start a campaign to educate how to recognize a cycle lane

Options
  • 24-04-2017 8:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

I'm such of having to ring bell ten times a day during my commute to ask pedestrians to move off cycle lane. Most of time they have headphones so I have to dismount which is an especial pain when coming up a hill !! The only reason I don't get more angry is that in most cases I believe it's general ignorance that the red path is for cyclists. Is there an equivalent of the RSA for bikes who can raise awareness ? Or do ye think it's a case that people are aware but ignore?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Hmmm. Haven't seen a controversial lance involved in cycling for awhile so this could be the moment;

bikejousting-lg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

seefin wrote: »
    I'm such of having to ring bell ten times a day during my commute to ask pedestrians to move off cycle lane

Where's your commute?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Maybe we should put more broken glass in the lane to differentiate it from the walking lane!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

See mod note below

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'm such of having to ring bell ten times a day during my commute to ask pedestrians to move off cycle lane. Most of time they have headphones so I have to dismount which is an especial pain when coming up a hill !! The only reason I don't get more angry is that in most cases I believe it's general ignorance that the red path is for cyclists. Is there an equivalent of the RSA for bikes who can raise awareness ? Or do ye think it's a case that people are aware but ignore?

People are very aware, so the education stick is not really much use here. It is not to annoy you, they simply do not care, do not think about it or in some places, the footpad is too narrow and it makes more sense.

If you can, could you move onto the road? Uphills are painful for this to happen as on a downhill or flat, you can slow down alot and go to walking pace without issue. I generally would either move out to the road or let a loud "excuse me", bells never seem to work on iphone earphone types. If neither work though, dismounting as you do maybe your only option

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

See mod note below

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

CramCycle wrote:
    If you can, could you move onto the road? Uphills are painful for this to happen as on a downhill or flat, you can slow down alot and go to walking pace without issue. I generally would either move out to the road or let a loud "excuse me", bells never seem to work on iphone earphone types. If neither work though, dismounting as you do maybe your only option

The cycle path I use is in Cork city, on sarsfield road. The lance is very tempting!! I'm loath to go on roads where there's a cycle path as it seems to infuriate drivers. Was cycling to mahon yesterday from city and the cycle path is in terrible condition so I went on road and had people in 2 cars screaming at me to go into cycle path, not an experience I want to repeat!
    Before I started cycling 5 years ago I was genuinely not aware that red meant cycle lane, It was only when I saw the bicycle spray painted on the path that I'd I'd be aware so that's wondering if alot of people are just clueless( or if was just dopey me !!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

See mod note below

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

MOD VOICE: It is whataboutery to bring up a subject that is distracting from the topic at hand and is clearly there just to have a go at cyclists. I will be deleting the posts but both posters should know better, in regards going off topic and reporting posts. Any questions PM me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

It is annoying when you actually make the effort to use the cycle lane, but I can't have it every way I suppose. Personally speaking it would be a bit dog in the manger to give out about pedestrians using lanes that I am (largely) not using myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

On the Clontarf shared cycle path , there are lots of entrance points from car parks and road paths, so its inevitable there will be some overlap with dog walkers and joggers etc.

Its also an issue that other cyclists ( just as frequently, I would say ) don't stick to their lane and force oncoming cyclists into the pedestrian area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

iwillhtfu wrote: »

Looks like the Brooklyn bridge. With the huge volume of tourists on that it's kind of inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

It was only when I saw the bicycle spray painted on the path that I'd I'd be aware so that's wondering if alot of people are just clueless( or if was just dopey me !!)

Bicycle sprayed on the lane doesn't generally have an effect (as can be seen in Phoenix Park).

I'm guessing the general assumption is that "cycle lane" means "it's a standard path, where a bike may occasionally appear, but not for exclusive bike use".

So the usual TV/radio ad education may work, because in general, people are just not aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I don't see the problem.. most cycle lanes are crap! (Both surface and layout/design) leave them to the pedestrians and use the road.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I don't see the problem.. most cycle lanes are crap! (Both surface and layout/design) leave them to the pedestrians and use the road.

The ones in Clontarf / Phoenix Park far exceed the quality of the road surface they go along, not to mention not incurring the wrath of punishment passes along those routes.

mrcheez wrote: »
    The ones in Clontarf / Phoenix Park far exceed the quality of the road surface they go along, not to mention not incurring the wrath of punishment passes along those routes.

Once on them,cyclists no longer have right of way at junctions. I prefer to use the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

A) Dont use "elevated" cycle paths that are really just extra ped space

Failing that:

B) Get an Airzound: Brown pants everywhere.
    AirZound_XL_komplett_280x459.jpg

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Once on them,cyclists no longer have right of way at junctions. I prefer to use the road.

A couple of junctions on a smooth surface with occasional pedestrian encroachment
    vs
    pockmarked uncomfortable surface with threatening traffic encroachment.

I guess one chooses the lesser of 2 evils.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Cant be done. Its either separate or its not.

And even if its separate, chances are that the bike lane is beside where you park the car, so that people park the car and walk along the cycle lane.

• Advertisement

mrcheez wrote: »
    A couple of junctions on a smooth surface with occasional pedestrian encroachment, Broken glass, Dog poo, blind junctions at car parks, cyclists cycling on the wrong side, skateborders, joggers, OAP's out for a walk etc. etc.
    vs
    pockmarked uncomfortable surface with threatening traffic encroachment.

I guess one chooses the lesser of 2 evils.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 15,657 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Has anyone considered the use of posters, put up at random points.

At least it will make the news and spark a them vs us debate like the ones in Howth

Deedsie wrote: »
    Id prefer proper cycling/pedestrian alternative infrastructure that we could all use safely.

Gets a bit tiresome sharing a road with distracted lunatics in control of 2 tonne vehicles.

I'd prefer proper investment in enforcement of road laws and behaviour, therefore the lunatics end up, in theory, off the road or learning a lesson. It may only be behaviour rather than belief but I will settle for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

Could you adjust your route OP? There are lots of routes I try to avoid cycling, dangerous junctions, narrow congested roads and the very few cycle lanes that are often full of pedestrians (mostly near popular walking spots, waterfront + park). If you are going these routes you just have to expect delays and be very chilled out.

The great thing about the bike is it's not much effort to choose an alternative route that allows you to cycle at your pace.

Deedsie wrote: »
    Id prefer proper cycling/pedestrian alternative infrastructure that we could all use safely.

Gets a bit tiresome sharing a road with distracted lunatics in control of 2 tonne vehicles.

Agree..but until then i'll use the road. As for distracted lunatics? some of them ride bikes too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭tonytiger81

Regarding the posts about the Phoenix Park, i've always thought it would be better having the bike lane swapped with the inner running track as people getting out of cars after parking (+kids) make the current set up dangerous. Does anyone know if this was ever considered?

This is the only type of Cycle lane i ever use.....

https://goo.gl/maps/UzpZtvQ9vXC2

The surface is rubbish, but IMO, it's in the right place.

By having the track on the road, It helps to legitimise cyclists as "Traffic" and not a faster form of pedestrian.

Regarding the posts about the Phoenix Park, i've always thought it would be better having the bike lane swapped with the inner running track as people getting out of cars after parking (+kids) make the current set up dangerous. Does anyone know if this was ever considered?

Like most cycle tracks there in the wrong place. Ideally the cycle track should run along the road. But that would mean removing car parking along Chesterfield Ave.

It is suggested here quite alot and to be honest, I can see why people who are new to the Park think that it is a footpath.

I am not sure that moving it in solves problems either, it might be slightly better but alot more conflict at junctions I would imagine.

Better to either move the cycle track to the road side and alter parking systems.

• Advertisement

Cycling home this evening along Stockhole lane (near the coachmans pub), there was a Garda checkpoint. This road has a cycle track/pavement on both sides of the road. The Gardai had a squad car on both sides of the road. Guess where each car was parked?

Thankfully, I was cycling on the road!

Advertisement