Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to move home but will I get a job????

Options
  • 24-04-2017 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I'll try to keep this short. I left Ireland in 2004 and worked in Asia as a TEFL teacher. I returned home in 2007/08 and did some substitute teaching in my old school. Then I went back to teach English in Asia until 2012. I went back to Ireland then and did my PDE and went to England to do my NQT year. Then after that I returned to Asia and I've been teaching History and EAL in a UK curriculum international school. Next year I would love to return home for good and settle in Ireland. Do you think I will get a job? My subjects are History and CSPE and I've a lot of experience teaching kids with English as an Additional language. (EAL). I would also be willing to do some substitute work until I find a permanent position. I could also do some ESL work but I would prefer to teach my main subject History, in a secondary school. Currently I am in a great school, saving money, and able to travel all over Asia during the holidays. However, my wife and son want to return to Ireland. We miss the weather (believe it or not!), family, friends, fresh air and the easy access to sporting facilities such as golf, pitch and putt, gaelic, football etc... So help me! It would be a big gamble as I don'y want to leave a great job here and end up on the dole. But after 8 years abroad I want to go home!(I think)....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Honest answer: I doubt it with a subject combo like history and CSPE. Even the best teacher in the world, I'd struggle to fill a timetable for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Icsics

What subjects are in your degree? History is being downgraded in the new Junior Cycle, ie has reduced hours. You need to try to add 'in demand' subjects like Maths, sciences, languages if possible.
    Very difficult, probably impossible to get a job with just history & CSPE

• Registered Users Posts: 13 gilderbeast

My degree is in History and Politics. You talk about 'adding in' subjects as if it's easy. I thought you needed a degree in a subject in order to teach it? Our system of requiring teachers to teach two subjects restricts so many teachers from finding full time positions. The attitude to CSPE is also disheartening. Why have a subject at all if no one wants to take it seriously. Its a subject that deals with and prepares students for real life but yet its seen as something that's not really needed. How would I go about adding Irish to my qualifications? Do you know if its a matter of doing a Postgraduate diploma for a year or do you need another degree? Thanks for your input...

• Registered Users Posts: 13 gilderbeast

My degree is in History and Politics. You talk about 'adding in' subjects as if it's easy. I thought you needed a degree in a subject in order to teach it? Our system of requiring teachers to teach two subjects restricts so many teachers from finding full time positions. The attitude to CSPE is also disheartening. Why have a subject at all if no one wants to take it seriously. Its a subject that deals with and prepares students for real life but yet its seen as something that's not really needed. How would I go about adding Irish to my qualifications? Do you know if its a matter of doing a Postgraduate diploma for a year or do you need another degree? Thanks for your input...

Advertisement