Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News Widget

Options
  • 24-04-2017 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭

Anyone else having trouble with the news widget not working since Saturday?
    IOS 10.3.1 iPhone7

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 michellemcc24

Have you updated yet? that might help. Hope so!

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭morritty

10.3.1 is the latest update.

Same issue on my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Yes also having the same issue with the News widget on latest IOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Am on 10.2.1 and have the issue so probably not an iOS issue.

Anyone know can you edit the news feeds in the widget. It's often the Irish times which is paywalled.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Good to know I'm not alone so
    Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Anyone know can you edit the news feeds in the widget. It's often the Irish times which is paywalled.
    I don't think you currently can, the I.T feed is really annoying alright, there should be an option to turn each source on/off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Am on 10.2.1 and have the issue so probably not an iOS issue.

The people experiencing problems are on 10.3.1 so it probably is an iOS issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

The people experiencing problems are on 10.3.1 so it probably is an iOS issue.

And I just said I'm on 10.2.1 and also have the issue

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

10.2.1 broke it. 10.3 fixed it. 10.3.1 broke it again.

News.app officially isn't supported in Ireland, so fixing this is unlikely to be a high priority for Apple.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's working for me now, so maybe it was a server side issue after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Working for me too.

How come we have the news widget but not the app in Ireland yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭ondafly

I've also noticed the calendar stopped working at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

afaik and I could be woefully wrong, but Apple News (inside the app) requires the publications to serve their articles in a certain format or needs some sort of integration on the publisher side. I'm guessing there's tons of ad code that just won't work inside Apple News and therefore the publications just don't bother.

the widget just seems to push to their websites, it's kinda weird but it works enough. Apple probably didn't even know that it works and was just a happy accident.

Yeah, the widget is just links. The News app has to be localised for Irish news sources with curators, etc. It's currently only available in 3 countries and is kinda in beta. But you can still get it by changing your region to one of the 3 countries.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'm pretty sure the widget is just a curated RSS feed with the most popular items shown. It's entirely random, it has no concept of the news you're actually interested in.

Advertisement