Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with first insurance quote in a long time

Options
  • 24-04-2017 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm in a bit of bother with an upcoming urgent need for car insurance.

I'm a bit like a rabbit caught in the head lights with all the options. I'm not sure what to do and hope someone can point me in the right direction.

-Aged 33 male
    -Don't have a no-claims bonus as a result of driving company cars for years
    -Recently received a speeding fine with 3 points on the way (no other points)

What is the best way to go? (Direct to loads of companies or a broker?)

Does the car make as much of a difference as it used to? (Engine size etc.) - I'm looking at a Honda Accord 2.2 - is this too big?

What would be a ball park figure for me to aim towards?

Thanks for any help you can offer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

A poster here, RiseToMe, got a good quote from Glennon Insurance Brokers with No NCB or significant driving experience

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057731220

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

_feedback_ wrote: »
    -Don't have a no-claims bonus as a result of driving company cars for years

Ask your employer's insurance company for a statement along the lines of you were driving a company car for xx years and (hopefully) had no claims. Mention this when seeking quotes, some companies may treat you better than a first-time driver, it can't do any harm.

Some companies regard four points as the starting point for loading policyholders as extra risk, three might not be as big a problem that you think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Morf3h

I'm having difficulty too. Drove a company car in Canada for 3+ years and nobody will accept the NCB and clean record there.

I did manage to get something through Liberty insurance. E1900 and they'll need a letter from your employer's insurer. You'll also need a letter from your employer stating you were/are working for them and when.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Guys went with Kennco Insurance in the end. Very reasonable and helpful. They accepted letters from the employer and their insurer as driving experience.

Advertisement