Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VAT and education query

Options
  • 24-04-2017 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I am setting up an online education company and as such will be VAT exempt. My query is about purchasing an IT platform from a UK company; do I need to register for VAT because this is a product from outside Ireland? Will I be able to recoup this VAT?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Dr Ed wrote: »
    I am setting up an online education company and as such will be VAT exempt. My query is about purchasing an IT platform from a UK company; do I need to register for VAT because this is a product from outside Ireland? Will I be able to recoup this VAT?

Have Revenue confirmed that you are exempt from charging VAT? It could be very costly to you and your business if you start trading and discover you are not exempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If you are buying something that is subject to VAT and you are subject to VAT, then you cannot generally claim back VAT on your inputs.

It is very important to understand your VAT situation, as the previous poster has stated. At a very minimum, you need to read and understand http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/leaflets/vat-and-education.html . Really, you need professional advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Dr Ed

Thank you both. I will not be trading for a few months, but need to purchase stuff now. I will try to get clarity from Revenue on my position re VAT.

Advertisement