Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are there too many stand up comics?

• 24-04-2017 10:54am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Anyone feel that we are oversaturated with people who have decided to make a career out of comedy? With social media theres been an explosion in people doing comedy skits, the overwhelming majority of whom are not even mildly amusing. Some of these people are ending up on TV panel discussion shows et al. Many of them are people who are probably gas craic down the pub with their friends/workmates but just don't cut it as someone I'd feel like paying money to go see.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I never understood where Dermot from Dermot and dave came from, was he an RTE employee? He was on TV before he was a "comedian" as far i can see. The only place i ever saw him do standup was the Late late Show. (and that was more of a lad talking then comedy)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Alison Spittle.

Not funny

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Well then don't go pay money to see'em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

darkdubh wrote: »
    Anyone feel that we are oversaturated with people who have decided to make a career out of comedy? With social media theres been an explosion in people doing comedy skits, the overwhelming majority of whom are not even mildly amusing. Some of these people are ending up on TV panel discussion shows et al. Many of them are people who are probably gas craic down the pub with their friends/workmates but just don't cut it as someone I'd feel like paying money to go see.

Thankfully nobody is forcing you to pay money to see them…

But, aye, there's an awful lot of terrible comedians out there. Netflix has exposed me to an awful lot of them with their 'specials'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

Doesn't impact me in anyway so don't have an opinion either way. Comedy is subjective, someone must find them funny, can't just be their mothers. Still waiting for Schumer to move to Canada though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

I never understood where Dermot from Dermot and dave came from, was he an RTE employee? He was on TV before he was a "comedian" as far i can see. The only place i ever saw him do standup was the Late late Show.

Dermot Whelan? All I know him from is when he used to appear on The Panel on RTE, thought he was as funny as bowel cancer. Refuse to watch anything with him since.

Alison Spittle.

Not funny

Saw her mentioned in another thread here somewhere and looked up some of her standup on Youtube. I can't understand how some people find her funny. Her whole act is cringe inducing.

Dermot Whelan? All I know him from is when he used to appear on The Panel on RTE, thought he was as funny as bowel cancer. Refuse to watch anything with him since.

on the other hand ...fair play to him he's probably set up for life now with all his media jobs, i guess he just went and did it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

One too many, and that one is Andrew Maxwell.

There seems to be a blurring too recently of the line between comedians, travel presenters, actors etc. Travel TV shows nowadays in particular always seem to have some "gas man" type presenting them like Hector or that gaptoothed gob****e who was doing the show with his mother.

• Advertisement

There seems to be a blurring too recently of the line between comedians, travel presenters, actors etc. Travel TV shows nowadays in particular always seem to have some "gas man" type presenting them like Hector or that gaptoothed gob****e who was doing the show with his mother.

You mean Baz the drink driver guy?

You mean Baz the drink driver guy?

Yeah thats him. Couldn't think of his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

"Do you remember chipsticks?"

-Dermot Whelan's entire act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Yes, time for a cull

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

There is too many comedians on the radio.

Glenster wrote: »
    "Do you remember chipsticks?"

-Dermot Whelan's entire act.

he also managed to get a "song" release for the euros ....can't believe how atrocious it was

he also managed to get a "song" release for the euros ....can't believe how atrocious it was

I'm so happy I missed that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

The only funny Irish comedian in stand-up is Dara O'Briain, and even then he's miles behind the Americans and most British comedians. Actually now that I've thought about it Dylan Moran is hilarious too, but the rest are just pure scutter.

The Panel was awful, Irish radio comedy is terrible nowadays and the upandcoming comedians (Fred Cooke mainly) are absolutely atrocious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

The only funny Irish comedian in stand-up is Dara ? Briain, and even then he's miles behind the Americans and most British comedians. Actually now that I've thought about it Dylan Moran is hilarious too, but the rest are just pure scutter.

The Panel was awful, Irish radio comedy is terrible nowadays and the upandcoming comedians (Fred Cooke mainly) are absolutely atrocious.

Dara is far ahead of most US and Brit comedians.

Dara is far ahead of most US and Brit comedians.

Ahh now, he's no Louis CK. He's fantastic but most comedians in the UK and US are funnier in my opinion. Suppose it's down to personal preference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

most comedians in the UK and US are funnier in my opinion
    Ahh now, yourself. There must be millions of the ****ers.

"Internet sensations" like Cian Twomey muddy the water too though thankfully he doesn't seem to have made the leap from social media into tv & radio just yet. Doesn't bode well for the next generation of comedy when the likes of him and Dapper Laughs can build up a huge audience of easily amused millenials who'll laugh at anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Rose Poor Luggage

"Internet sensations" like Cian Twomey muddy the water too though thankfully he doesn't seem to have made the leap from social media into tv & radio just yet. Doesn't bode well for the next generation of comedy when the likes of him and Dapper Laughs can build up a huge audience of easily amused millenials who'll laugh at anything.

Thank god he's either gone quiet or has blocking him on Facebook finally worked..an absolute douchebag

Al Porter should be another one to be culled...the carry on/Alan Carr style humour is dire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Dara O'Briain while he seems like a nice guy is not funny.

Dylan Moran is brilliant - a comic genius. The rest of the Irish crowd are dire.

Ahh now, he's no Louis CK. He's fantastic but most comedians in the UK and US are funnier in my opinion. Suppose it's down to personal preference.

I don't know, there is an awful lot of scutter out there in terms of US comedians - Netflix has exposed me to an awful lot of rubbish comedians. For every Louis CK or Bill Burr or Anthony Jeselnik, there's thousands and thousands of deeply unfunny US comedians out there. There's a shít-ton of desperately bad UK comedians out there as well.

I enjoy Farmer michael on youtube, anyone like or dislike him? most seem to dislike.

Yeah thats him. Couldn't think of his name.

A complete gob****e.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

I enjoy Farmer michael on youtube, anyone like or dislike him? most seem to dislike.

He just rips off that barman character from The Savage Eye from the little I've seen of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Ed Byrne is a dose.

• Advertisement

Noveight wrote: »
    Ed Byrne is a dose.

He also seems like a nice guy but he REALLY is not funny. He reminds me of some awkward cousin you have who tries to impress everyone with "jokes" at family events. Like his mom says "ssssshhh everyone Ed wants to tell his joke".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Imallrightjack

Al porter. He needs a huge dose of morphine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Parchment wrote: »
    Dara O'Briain while he seems like a nice guy is not funny.

Dylan Moran is brilliant - a comic genius. The rest of the Irish crowd are dire.

Completely agree re those two.

I think Tommy Tiernan was excellent for a long time and can still have his moments.

McSavage has come up with little pieces of gold here and there.

I'll whisper this one... I thought Maxwell was quite funny at the start.

PARlance wrote: »
    Completely agree re those two.

I think Tommy Tiernan was excellent for a long time and can still have his moments.

McSavage has come up with little pieces of gold here and there.

I'll whisper this one... I thought Maxwell was quite funny at the start.

I agree - i thought Andrew Maxwell was funny on the Panel.

Al porter. He needs a huge dose of morphine.

Is that the lad from Tallaght who acts like an oul wan? Jesus, Leukemia is funnier than he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

It's funny, some people declaim themselves 'a comedian' but if I was as shi!t at my job as the vast majority of them are, well, I'd be ashamed.

Most of them just get by with a forceful personality, because, Jason Byrne/Deirdre O' Kane et al, you are as funny as drought.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Is that the lad from Tallaght who acts like an oul wan? Jesus, Leukemia is funnier than he is.

Homophobe!!

Parchment wrote: »
    I agree - i thought Andrew Maxwell was funny on the Panel.

I thought he was funny enough on The Panel but he blew it, in Ireland at least with that short lived RTE show that he got. It really felt like he was trying way too hard to be edgy and relevant. He had this bloody annoying woman playing the ukulele on every week, I thought at first she was a one off then the following week she was back again. And this really cringy weekly bit with breakdancers juxtaposed over footage of him telling jokes. It felt like something you'd see on Scratch Saturday circa 1989.

PARlance wrote: »

Tommy Tiernan is so old fashioned now as to be embarrassing.

He's one step away from being George Hook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Humour is one of the most diverse things there is.
    Funny for you might not be funny for me.

There is room for everyone :)

biko wrote: »
    [Insert thing here] is one of the most diverse things there is.
    [BLANK] for you might not be [Blank] for me.

The reasonable post that sucks the fun out of every thread ever.

I was just about to rant about Tommy Tiernan again, and now I cant.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

What does this even mean? :confused:

seachto7 wrote: »
    What does this even mean? :confused:

It means Tommy is squareville, pops! He ain't hip to the game and he don't do the big tickle no more.

yes as soon as an irish comedian mentions priests i zone out, it's old now.

ha i nearly forgot, i was in the international a few months back and something hilarious happened!

Having a great night, the comedians were funny and the atmosphere was great, Then one of the hosts sheepishly mentioned that there was going to be a change of plan and there was an extra act. In walks "the boss" aka Aidan Bishop and up he gets....and quickly dies on the spot and limps off the stage. I looked around at the crowd reactions and people were really confused about why this guy was onstage.

Next comedian gets up "well ....that was weird!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I think we could easily have loads more comedians and nothing bad would happen

He just rips off that barman character from The Savage Eye from the little I've seen of him.

i would disagree there apart from the satirical homophobia

I think we could easily have loads more comedians and nothing bad would happen

Who said it would? I'd prefer if we had a smaller number of comedians who were really good at their craft rather than the current free for all in which it seems anyone and their dog can be considered a comedian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Who said it would? I'd prefer if we had a smaller number of comedians who were really good at their craft rather than the current free for all in which it seems anyone and their dog can be considered a comedian.

I think anyone and their dog would be considered a double act

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Alison Spittle.

Not funny

Watched her clips on YouTube.
    Very painful.
    One from a comedy festival in Lincoln, horrific.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

biko wrote: »
    Humour is one of the most diverse things there is.
    Funny for you might not be funny for me.

Except Alison Spittle. And Peter Kay.

A few people are slagging off Andrew Maxwell, and tbh he wouldn't be anywhere close to my list of favourite comedians. But I was down at the Cat Laughs a couple of years ago and we were at a show that had the usual for the festival - a mixed line-up of 4 or 5 comedians doing a short set. We were really looking forward to all of the rest of the performers, but were expecting Maxwell to be painful. Surprisingly he was pretty good, better than at least one of the others playing the gig. The secret seems to be only give him 10 or 15 minutes and he's grand, any more than that and you've only yourself to blame for buying the ticket.

• Advertisement
Advertisement