Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are there too many stand up comics?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

I enjoy Farmer michael on youtube, anyone like or dislike him? most seem to dislike.

I enjoy him but only in 3 minute bursts.
    However I find that I'd probably go and see Eoin Colgan in a show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The hassle with alot of comedians now is over exposure, it seems to be a case of do the festivals, try to get picked up for a panel show and then do as much as possible as quickly as possible.

It also seems to be the case if you keep going long enough you'll fall into a tv role.

The whole sub culture of "comedians" on FB needs to be culled though, some of the worst sh?tehawks are on there; "GAA Stories", The "what's that Kathleen" and the Twomey fella are barrell scrapping.

infogiver wrote: »
    I enjoy him but only in 3 minute bursts.
    However I find that I'd probably go and see Eoin Colgan in a show.

Eoin Colgan can be funny alright. Not sure about him doing stand up though.

The worst are comedians from North of the border, like the Hole in the Wall Gang.

The worst are comedians from North of the border, like the Hole in the Wall Gang.

It's possible that I laugh more at the comments on his Facebook status updates more so than anything he actually says.
    I really do laugh though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

local amateur video humour on YouTube doesn't work well i the mainstream- too local and unpolished

/i don't like Andrew Maxwell or Ed Byrne, or Jason Byrne!!!!

in fact; Dara O Briain and Dylan Moran will do, shoot the rest.

It's possible that I laugh more at the comments on his Facebook status updates more so than anything he actually says.
    I really do laugh though.

The most popular redtube searches, county by county, recently had me laughing. Sligo "indoor soccer". Might be an old one but enjoyed it. But it only works as a visual/social media joke.

Who? care to post a clip?

Is he as annoying as that bald GAA guy?

snowflaker wrote: »
    Who? care to post a clip?

Is he as annoying as that bald GAA guy?

Search for Eoin Colgan on Facebook.
    He's one of the characters in The Hardy Bucks

Sorry it's OWEN not Eoin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭C Montgomery Gurns II

I don't know, there is an awful lot of scutter out there in terms of US comedians - Netflix has exposed me to an awful lot of rubbish comedians. For every ..... Anthony Jeselnik, there's thousands and thousands of deeply unfunny US comedians out there..

He's feckin atrocious.

• Advertisement

Search for Eoin Colgan on Facebook.
    He's one of the characters in The Hardy Bucks

Sorry it's OWEN not Eoin

I searched Eoin couldnt find him, will try the bastardised anglicised version ;)

It's a No from me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

That crowd behind Give My Head Peace, they all bloody deserved internment without trial for that comedic atrocity. There was another one from The North about a family who all had red hair and that was pretty much the only joke, made Mrs Browns Boys look subtle in comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Amy Schumer & Tommy Tiernan are by far the worst comedians out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

PARlance wrote: »
    I'll whisper this one... I thought Maxwell was quite funny at the start.
    Parchment wrote: »
    I agree - i thought Andrew Maxwell was funny on the Panel.

Me too. Liked him back then. There is a pathological dislike of Andrew Maxwell on boards that personally I find a tad OTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

I enjoy Farmer michael on youtube, anyone like or dislike him? most seem to dislike.

I liked the first few I'd seen but I imagine it will get tired quite soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Sometimes I do laugh at the accuracy with which he captures that particular brand of Irish shitetalk. But the shtick wears fairly thin after video number three or four. And also with all the tats and the McGregor haircut I wonder if he is just as big a caricature as the character he portrays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Murrisk wrote: »
    Me too. Liked him back then. There is a pathological dislike of Andrew Maxwell on boards that personally I find a tad OTT.

There's an inverse relationship between how funny he actually is and how funny he thinks he is. Saw him a few times live and I've - sincerely - never seen someone phone it in with so little effort. Maybe I was unlucky, but it happened more than once. I don't hate the man or anything that extreme - I just think he's a dire comedian!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Dylan Moran is miles ahead of the rest. McSavage has very occasional glimpses of genius, go on now country boy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

ha i nearly forgot, i was in the international a few months back and something hilarious happened!

Having a great night, the comedians were funny and the atmosphere was great, Then one of the hosts sheepishly mentioned that there was going to be a change of plan and there was an extra act. In walks "the boss" aka Aidan Bishop and up he gets....and quickly dies on the spot and limps off the stage. I looked around at the crowd reactions and people were really confused about why this guy was onstage.

Next comedian gets up "well ....that was weird!"

That guy is a prime example of someone riding on the coat tails of their (slightly) more talented and famous sibling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Anybody who believes Dave McSavage is a good comedian needs to actually see the guy live.....Pure drivel...And I'm being kind.

Jim Jeffries is a modern day genius imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

"Too many comedians thread becomes praise/rant of comedians in an effort to determine the ranking for culling of aforementioned comedians." Internet Comedien, 2017

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Right now in stand up world wide there's a handful of top tier performers.

People like Louis CK, Dave Chappelle, Bill Burr, Jim Jefferies, and a few others are almost peerless in the field.

The closest that Ireland has to them currently is Dylan Moran. Beyond that there's a lot of people who are ok like O'Brien and a hape of absolute shiiiiite.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I watched Amy Schumer for the first time at my sisters place buzzing on a few Js and thought she was amusing. Saw her again sober back at my place and thought she was meh.

Dylan Moran and Dara O'Brian are among our best talents. Moran in particular is very witty. But so many others are just average or diabolical. Katherine Lynch in particular is utter drivel. So many "comedians" seem to be one trick ponies who only have one actual joke in them that they repeat ad nauseam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Dylan Moran is miles ahead of the rest. McSavage has very occasional glimpses of genius, go on now country boy.

I would have thought Dylan Moran was over

Erik Shin wrote: »
    Anybody who believes Dave McSavage is a good comedian needs to actually see the guy live.....Pure drivel...And I'm being kind.

Jim Jeffries is a modern day genius imo
    have to agree about Jim J, he's one of the best out there, and so bloody clever!

darkdubh wrote: »
    That guy is a prime example of someone riding on the coat tails of their (slightly) more talented and famous sibling.

i was one of the older people in the room and was amused by the savage car crash of it all, but some of the younger folk were absolutely baffled ....very awkward

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Anongeneric

Has Frankie Boyle been mentioned in this thread?

Best stand up of his and quite a few more generations,(obviously my opinion, it's subjective)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Noveight wrote: »
    Ed Byrne is a dose.

And has never been funny, ever. I refuse to watch anything he appears on which thankfully these days is very little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

That whole bunch off Republic of Telly who's material revolves around 1980's childhood nostalgia. Neil Delamere can be added to them.
    They can't even go to England to try to make it big because no one over there heard of Dempsey's Den or the Glenroe music on a school night phenomenon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Rose Poor Luggage

Best stand up of his and quite a few more generations,(obviously my opinion, it's subjective)

I think he's fantastic but I can see why he irks a lot of people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Rose Poor Luggage

Agricola wrote: »
    That whole bunch off Republic of Telly who's material revolves around 1980's childhood nostalgia. Neil Delamere can be added to them.
    They can't even go to England to try to make it big because no one over there heard of Dempsey's Den or the Glenroe music on a school night phenomenon.

I despise the remember when/Irish mammys/fr Ted memes

• Advertisement

Becuase they don't have the intellect to get his humour??:D

I think he's fantastic but I can see why he irks a lot of people

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I would have thought Dylan Moran was over

Went to see him in Vicar Street a couple of years ago and he was absolutely superb. Not quite as angry as he used to be, but still sharper and wittier than 99% of other comedians out there. My wife had never seen him before and wasn't sure what to expect, but afterwards told me it was one of the best comedy gigs she'd ever been to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭buckwheat

Frankie Boyle is the best I've seen. Genius

No good female stand up comedians for some reason. Loads of very funny women on TV but doesn't seem to work on the stage

The silver lining to that twat Theresa May calling a general election is that we should get another Frankie's Election night special.

buckwheat wrote: »
    Frankie Boyle is the best I've seen. Genius

No good female stand up comedians for some reason. Loads of very funny women on TV but doesn't seem to work on the stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

buckwheat wrote: »

I remember seeing Shappi Khorshandi on Live At The Apollo, thought she was alright.

But yeah, very few wimmins seem to do well with stand up.

I must start reading more Frankie Boyle, I'm dying to know what he was doing when he made that show Tremadol nights. It's seemed to me that we went all out to push things way over the line, like he went so far over the line he must have planned it to perfection. Anyone know what his motives were?? It looked to me like a big FU to TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

biko wrote: »
    Humour is one of the most diverse things there is.
    Funny for you might not be funny for me.

There is room for everyone :)

Even Adèle King

Even Adèle King

ha i met adele once and she was hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Yes, half of them should sit down! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

It's not just standup comedians, or theatre in general: there are too many people in the "Arts" in general? How do we know there are too many? Since many of them are struggling to make any money, and end up in jobs that are not in the Arts: waiting tables, call centres, and so on. I have some sympathy for them in general, but not when they start acting all entitled, and make sweeping statements such as "we need the arts". To which I'm tempted to reply "yes, we need the Arts, but does the Arts need you?" :p

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

biko wrote: »
    Humour is one of the most diverse things there is.
    Funny for you might not be funny for me.

There is room for everyone :)

Except Andy Parsons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 seanculleng

snowflaker wrote: »
    local amateur video humour on YouTube doesn't work well i the mainstream- too local and unpolished

/i don't like Andrew Maxwell or Ed Byrne, or Jason Byrne!!!!

in fact; Dara O Briain and Dylan Moran will do, shoot the rest.
    Do you remember when Maxwell, Jason Byrne and Ed Byrne were on "The Panel" on RTE? It was Gold.

I haven't seen much of Tremadol Nights, but, and bear with me hear,
    it reminded me of Savage Eye a wee bit.

Both fairly angry at the society around them.

And fair play for mentioning 'reading' Frankie Boyle, I forgot he wrote, I must have a look and see what I can get on my kindle.

I must start reading more Frankie Boyle, I'm dying to know what he was doing when he made that show Tremadol nights. It's seemed to me that we went all out to push things way over the line, like he went so far over the line he must have planned it to perfection. Anyone know what his motives were?? It looked to me like a big FU to TV.

I haven't seen much of Tremadol Nights, but, and bear with me hear,
    it reminded me of Savage Eye a wee bit.

Both fairly angry at the society around them.

And fair play for mentioning 'reading' Frankie Boyle, I forgot he wrote, I must have a look and see what I can get on my kindle.

that's why i thought he was deliberately killing his TV persona, he's pretty much a writer now. Check out the "nightrider" sketch.....it's MENTAL!!!! I only mention that one because i enjoyed it ...some of the other sketches were way over the line!! I'm obviously not complaining i just thought it obvious he had a plan/agenda!

Oh Christ,
    I'd seen Knight Rider before and forgotten about it.
    It certainly pushes boundaries.

Although my favourite Frankie Boyle sketch has to be 'Michael Jackson's children's hospital', I can't remember which show it was on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Karl Spain is oversaturated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

YFlyer wrote: »

I haven't seen him do comedy anywhere since 2009.

But agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Fat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

He needs to lose a little weight...Maybe polyunsaturated should be what he aims for

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Birneybau wrote: »
    Fat?
    Obviously it means he contains excess silica.

• Advertisement
Advertisement