Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are there too many stand up comics?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I miss comedians telling jokes. Now they all go on about things that happened to them in the supermarket last week or conversations they had with their friends or wives, none of which are either true or funny. I'd rather listen to someone telling one liners than tell a ten minute long story about them doing the shopping in Tesco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I miss comedians telling jokes. Now they all go on about things that happened to them in the supermarket last week or conversations they had with their friends or wives, none of which are either true or funny. I'd rather listen to someone telling one liners than tell a ten minute long story about them doing the shopping in Tesco.

Tim Vine, Milton Jones, Mitch Hedberg, and Steward Francis are your fellas then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

razorblunt wrote: »
    Tim Vine, Milton Jones, Mitch Hedberg, and Steward Francis are your fellas then.

"I went to my local library yesterday, and asked: "Have you got a book on handling rejection without killing?"

YFlyer wrote: »
    Karl Spain is oversaturated.

i've seen him a few times as a support, i have found him quite decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

i've seen him a few times as a support, i have found him quite decent.

Yeah the mascot for Limerick United FC.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭laserlad2010

I saw Aidan Bishop in the International as well. I wouldn't like to overuse superlatives, but he was the most deeply unfunny man I'd ever heard speak, never mind stand up on stage.

He had a little notebook of jokes he was working on and he would just flit from story to story - incredibly lame.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

I saw Aidan Bishop in the International as well. I wouldn't like to overuse superlatives, but he was the most deeply unfunny man I'd ever heard speak, never mind stand up on stage.

He had a little notebook of jokes he was working on and he would just flit from story to story - incredibly lame.

He had the actual notebook on stage reading from it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Do you remember when Maxwell, Jason Byrne and Ed Byrne were on "The Panel" on RTE? It was Gold.

No, no it wasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

Arghus wrote: »
    There's an inverse relationship between how funny he actually is and how funny he thinks he is.

Don't all comedians think they are funny? Otherwise, why would they bother? He's made laugh a good bit in the past and some comedians have never raised a titter in me. To sum up, comedy is subjective and, naturally, all comedians consider themselves to be gas altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Here's one for you: who's worse, Ed Byrne or Jason Byrne?

Answer: Al Porter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Here's one for you: who's worse, Ed Byrne or Jason Byrne?

Answer: Al Porter.

I've said it before on a similar thread, Ed Byrne actually has some decent material, but the charisma of a stamp.
    I don't know what Jason Byrne has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

darkdubh wrote: »
    but just don't cut it as someone I'd feel like paying money to go see.
    You've just described the solution. As a career, I'd imagine it's quite Darwinian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

derfderf wrote: »
    I've said it before on a similar thread, Ed Byrne actually has some decent material, but the charisma of a stamp.

The English seem to love Byrne...And i don't know why? He's, to my eyes, our worst export ever when it comes to comedians

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

DEATH TO AL PORTER

That is all.

Erik Shin wrote: »
    The English seem to love Byrne...And i don't know why? He's, to my eyes, our worst export ever when it comes to comedians

He owes a huge debt to Dara for that, he even brought him along on that South American driving tour.
    derfderf wrote: »

The other issue with Ed Byrne is that he stands and waits for the laugh, often prodding for it, check out Mock the Week in the open mic sessions. Someone earlier hit the nail on the head where they described as the type of fella who'd be rolled out at parties as a kid with his Mam saying "shhhh Ed wants to tell his jokes".

razorblunt wrote: »
    He owes a huge debt to Dara for that, he even brought him along on that South American driving tour.

The other issue with Ed Byrne is that he stands and waits for the laugh, often prodding for it, check out Mock the Week in the open mic sessions. Someone earlier hit the nail on the head where they described as the type of fella who'd be rolled out at parties as a kid with his Mam saying "shhhh Ed wants to tell his jokes".

I meant Jason :D

Way worse than Ed Byrne

he gives it the whole..."i'm a famous international comedian, but i'm going to read you my new material from my notebook before this small crowd before i foist it upon the masses in the 3 arena vibe" ....then proceeds to tell a joke and fails to inform the crowd where the punchline is.....so he's finished the joke and the crowd are silent...not because of ignorance, but because they are still listening ...waiting for the punchline...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

There seems to be a blurring too recently of the line between comedians, travel presenters, actors etc. Travel TV shows nowadays in particular always seem to have some "gas man" type presenting them like Hector or that gaptoothed gob****e who was doing the show with his mother.

Hector would flash you at a checkpoint. He's pure sound like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

The James Blunt song joke? He got 5 years out of that one.

Jesus wept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭laserlad2010

Yep. He'd stand there flipping through the pages "I'm just floating some new material here guys" except that was his entire show...

Just heard one of Dermot Whealan's ads on the radio...."remember in the 80's when your da came home on a honda 50 with a washing machine strapped to the back"
    NO I DON'T Whealan ....and neither does anyone else.....

what strikes me as odd about this chap is he must be pushin 40 at this stage and his on radio/tv persona is playing a 20 year old ....all zany etc!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Just heard one of Dermot Whealan's ads on the radio...."remember in the 80's when your da came home on a honda 50 with a washing machine strapped to the back"
    NO I DON'T Whealan ....and neither does anyone else.....

what strikes me as odd about this chap is he must be pushin 40 at this stage and his on radio/tv persona is playing a 20 year old ....all zany etc!

Our neighbour was a carpender and he owned a Honda 50 to take him around to his jobs here and there. He built a box the size of a tea chest and attached it to the back of the Honda 50 for carrying around his tools. It also used the box to ferry his greyhound to the track over in Mullingar.

Wasn't it mostly Twintubs back in the 80's before the Automatic became the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Dub Ste

Imagine the fights in the Bishop household when him and Des were children.
    Aidan" Mammy, do you think I'm unfunny?"
    Des "No Mammy, I'm unfunny"
    Mammy, "You're both unfunny little f*ckers, don't inflict your drivel on the poor unsuspecting public.Now f*ck off and turn that f*cking immersion off."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Himself and dara briain are best buds. Possibly share agents or something like that ..

Himself and dara briain are best buds. Possibly share agents or something like that ..

It's Jason Byrne that's being referred to in that post you quoted, I made the same mistake!

O Ed Byrne though, himself and Dara have another show on the way we're they travel around Africa this time.

• Advertisement

I was talking about Jason... Ed is a comedic genius compared to the shouty ginger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I can't get enough of Des Bishop's immersion joke. Cracks me up every time. Good job he keeps repeating it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    Wasn't it mostly Twintubs back in the 80's before the Automatic became the norm.

Sorry to go off topic, but automatic washing machines came out in the mid 1960s and they were definitely the norm by the beginning of the 1980s.

...in sure there's a "comedian" now scouring this post for new "material.":pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Sorry to go off topic, but automatic washing machines came out in the mid 1960s and they were definitely the norm by the beginning of the 1980s.

l.":pac:

I won't disagree with you and I'll bow to your superior knowledge on the history of the washing machine ;-) but I'm remembering twin tubs and those big GEC monsters with the ringers on the back from the 50's that made the fuseboard sizzle from time to time. Those are what were in the houses where I lived in the late 70's very early 80's In the summer of 81 my friend's granny got an automatic washing machine, hers was the first I ever seen. Around that time dunno was it before or after the automatic but she got a beta video player 'uptheNorth' and life was never the same for a long while.

Apologies for going even further off topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

"I went to my local library yesterday, and asked: "Have you got a book on handling rejection without killing?"

LOL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Anongeneric

Don't like Jason Byrne at all, however,
    Just watched him telling stories on 'Alan Davis As Yet Untitled' and very nearly pissed myself laughing at him.
    Well worth checking that episode out

Was back at the international this week... Great night but jaysus Aidan just collect the admission and hoover afterwards and leave it at that....

Advertisement