Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council house swapping

Options
  • 24-04-2017 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever tried or heard of anyone that was able to swap with someone that was in a council property .And then went to the council and asked if both agreed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yes.

Provided both agree and have no tent arrears or other problems, its not difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Ladyinthedark

Yes.

Provided both agree and have no tent arrears or other problems, its not difficult.

That's great so have you experience of this oand what way do I get it started

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

That's great so have you experience of this oand what way do I get it started

Find someone to swap with.

Then both approach the council with the idea. It goes from there then.

myshirt wrote: »
    Find someone to swap with.

Then both approach the council with the idea. It goes from there then.

She's agreed to the swap,I agree too .will they accept it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Did you tell the other person about the anti social problems in the estate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

You might have to been living there a certain period first I believe it's actually 2 years

Kevwoody wrote: »
    Did you tell the other person about the anti social problems in the estate?

Yes I made that clear to her .there actually related somewhat .thats why I thought of the idea

She's agreed to the swap,I agree too .will they accept it

You have the hard part done then. Get all your documents together and approach them. Councils typically not adverse to swaps at all; as long as property is suitable for your needs, you have 18 months no arrears, no complaints against you, etc, you're good to go.

You have the hard part done then. Get all your documents together and approach them. Councils typically not adverse to swaps at all; as long as property is suitable for your needs, you have 18 months no arrears, no complaints against you, etc, you're good to go.

I'm in my property two months she's in hers longer I have no arrears and either does she

I'm in my property two months she's in hers longer I have no arrears and either does she

You have to be a council tenant for 2 years first

• Advertisement

Gatling wrote: »

Yes, correct. Op, I didn't read your other thread. Really sorry to hear you are getting hassled. That's really frustrating. You need to feel safe and calm in your home. Have you anyone to help you?

Yes, correct. Op, I didn't read your other thread. Really sorry to hear you are getting hassled. That's really frustrating. You need to feel safe and calm in your home. Have you anyone to help you?

As in you have to be in the house u want to swap or if you were on a scheme with the council in another property would that work

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

That's the sort of rule which there might be a way around, for instance if the swap would resolve an anti-social behaviour issue which wasn't of the tenant's making.

OP, I've not done it, but I've watched other people do it.

The next step is to approach your council, and tell them the full story. This includes about the ASB and any other reasons why they might facilitate things.

That's the sort of rule which there might be a way around, for instance if the swap would resolve an anti-social behaviour issue which wasn't of the tenant's making.

I'm not so sure , she should talk to her local authority first and foremost ,I can't imagine another tenant would be happy swapping for a house getting Anti social behavior ,that's what official sanctioned transfers are for

I'm not so sure , she should talk to her local authority first and foremost ,I can't imagine another tenant would be happy swapping for a house getting Anti social behavior ,that's what official sanctioned transfers are for

They are related to the person ,I've mentioned that in this thread.

Advertisement