Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Securing a bike in shed

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

[/QUOTE]I have mate who's shed is up against a concrete back wall ...he used two huge bolts secured into back wall and then into shed, not sure how he has bike chained to bolts but he has some how...it looks like some kind of huge u bolt..
    Even if they took down all the shed wall the bike would still be connected to outside wall...it's a very neat job with bolt holes in shed sealed and all...

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭dusty207

I got one of these in Homebase in Santry for about €20, makes a horrible noise which might scare the feckers before they try to break the locks.

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/yale-shed-and-garage-alarm-210437

(The other half nearly had a heart attack when she went into the shed to get something and it went off, I forgot to tell her about it!)

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

dusty207 wrote: »
    I got one of these in Homebase in Santry for about €20, makes a horrible noise which might scare the feckers before they try to break the locks.

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/yale-shed-and-garage-alarm-210437

(The other half nearly had a heart attack when she went into the shed to get something and it went off, I forgot to tell her about it!)

I was just about to suggest something similar. Think I picked mine up a euro shop.

Plus a load of locks of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If the shed has no proper anchor points fill a bucket with cement and put anchor point in it to secure to bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Xcellor wrote: »
    Since I've bought my bike I've been keeping it inside but now my girlfriend is giving out so I'm looking at moving it to the shed but at the moment it's not very secure. i.e. even with a padlock all it requires is a screw driver to remove hinges/latch.

Any recommendations on best way to secure bike? I don't live in a crime hotspot but I was a victim of crime once (left car open by mistake and someone robbed laptop).

Cheers
    simples, chain your bike to your rottweiler, keep both of them in the shed.

stall the ball, I mean the angry 4 legged 10 stone ball of muscle with teeth that would rip you a new arse in seconds, not the 2 legged beauty that you married:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

I'm lucky as she has her two bikes with mine in the house and up on stands in two rooms and are part of the furniture now:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

Some of these solutions sound like they will deter an opportunistic thief, but I'd be curious to here from anyone who has had a bike or bikes stolen from a shed (it does seem to happen quite frequently) if/how their bikes were secured. It might be educational.

I have had one bike stolen from a shed. The shed had no door and the garden had no rear access, it required hopping a high garage. The shed had 2 cheap bikes leaning against each other, unlocked, and 3 more expensive bikes hanging from the ceiling, two of which were locked to each other with a heavy chain. The thief ignored the two cheaper bikes and grabbed the unlocked bike hanging from the ceiling.

So it seems in this case the thief wasn't interested in taking more than one bike or attempting to break any locks.

I've had bike taken from shed. Shed was locked but they managed to slip the latch round the small u lock that was on it an annoying flaw that I hadn't noticed, though they'd have gotten in anyway and done more damage otherwise. Bikes were unlocked inside. They took my actually quite crap road bike and also its very crap track pump, left my missus' probably worth more poncey bike (not a technical term) but, get this, they left my other crap commuting bike but unscrewed both sets of lights from it and took them!

Like if you're going to be that enterprising would you not just get a job?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

Having lost 8 bikes over the years I bough one of these chains and a squire lock.

http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/

You could anchor a ship with the chain its insane thickness and weight

Sterling is a good rate at the mo.

If in doubt get the longer chain to lock a second or third bike in the future .......

Its a security investment as I cant afford to replace bikes worth a few thousand each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

If you don't have decent anchor points and don't want to go the concrete bucket route, there's always plenty of crap to lock to.

My back wheel gets locked to the lawnmower and front wheel to the barbecue. Really just a pain in the ass for anyone to get quietly.

Advertisement